3 cups beef stock
    tin tomatoes
    1/2 tin kidney beans, rinsed
    2 cloves garlic
    diced carrott
    diced celery
    sliced leek
    chopped bacon
    some chopped pumpkin (breaks down to nothing and just gives it a bit of body I find)
    tablespoon or so of basil pesto
    3/4 cup macaroni
    salt and pepper

Bung it all in except for macaroni and cooked for about 7 hours. Put the macaroni in about 1/2 hour before you want to eat or it will go soggy. Had it with lots of cracked pepper, fresh parsley and parmesan. And cheese bread. YUM
    Ingredients are very approximate, I really didn't measure much.
    Oh and the best part is that DD laps it up and it's full of veges!

Just had to share this one as it was sooooo delish!! Made it for dinner tonight and it was a hit!!

Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks

(Serves 5-6)

5 Lambs Shanks
    1 Large Carrot, diced
    1 Large Onion, chopped
    300g Button Mushrooms, sliced
    745g (Large) Jar "Paul Newman's Own Roasted Garlic and Basil" Tomato Pasta Sauce

Brown shanks and put into slow cooker with all above ingredients. Stir to coat shanks with sauce.

Cook on low approximately 7 hours.

Serve with bowtie pasta and freshly grated parmesan

Caro - some things with a creamy base will separate. Did it blend back together with a stir?? If you meat has a little bit of fat as well that can form a layer over the top too. Most of the time it still tastes fine. I hope it went ok!!

how was the meatloaf bec??

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Caro- Awwwwwwwwww sorry hun, how did it turn out? I can't remember what mine looked like, I think I thickened it with some cornflour at the end, but I don't remember it being like you described, but maybe I just forgot? Did it look like it was curdled?

Well the meatloaf was deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious. You put a layer of meat right on the bottom of the SC then you put some cheese, I put mushrooms too, that wasn't in the recipe but I did it anyway and then you put the other layer of meat on top of that and then squish it down. Then when you've only got an hour to go you put tomato sauce over the top. I found it didn't need as long as the book said either. It said to cook it for 10-11 hours but mine was cooked in way less than that, more like 4-5.

and it didnt stick and burn to the bottom of the dish?

I am too scared to try anything that doesnt have liquid at the bottom....

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Nup, no sticking at all, no burning either. And I did give it a good spray with cooking spray before hand too.

My creamy homemade chicken stew curdled as well, and no amount of stirring made it look nice at all. it ended up in the bin

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oh bugger, sorry it didn't turn out girls. I guess you could make it un creamy in the beginning and then add the milk later on, or add cream at the very end?

Caro- Yep you could brush the bottom and sides lightly with oil.

Traditional Meatloaf

2 large eggs, fork-beaten
    1/4 cup milk
    1 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp dried basil
    1/4 tsp ground thyme
    2 cups finely chopped onion
    Not in the recipe but I added 1-2 cloves or crushed garlic
    454g lean beef mince
    454g lean pork mince (I just used 1kg beef mince)
    1 cup grated cheese
    1/4 cup tomato sauce (I used half tomato, half BBQ)
    Not in the recipe but I also used enough chopped mushrooms to cover over the first meat layer.

Mix first 9 (10 if you add garlic) ingredients in large bowl. Add mince. Mix well. Press 1/2 of meat mixture into bottom of greased 5L SC. Spread with cheese (and mushrooms). Press second
    1/2 of meat mixture over top. Cover. Cook on low for 10-11 hours (my SC only needed from memory 4-5) or on hig for 5-5 1/2 hours (mine would probably only need about 2-2 1/2) Smooth tomato sauce over meat mixture during last hour of cooking. Serves 6-8.

can someone offer me some inspiration for lamb shanks. I usually do them with rosmary and garlic but I feel like a differant flavour - maybe something tomatoey....
    Do you think they might be ok with okra, garlic, ginger, cushed tomatoes, salt.... dunno about onion. Okra is knid of slimy and so is onion - it might make the whole thing too slimy if I have 2 slimy ingrediants....

Dach... did you see KellieDs recipe at the top of this page???

Chloe what about moroccan flavours? Served with cous cous?

Caro not sure about the drumsticks...

*hugs*
    Cailin

drumsticks are the best in the sc!!

i normally chuck em in with some tinned tomatoes, tomato soup, stock, mushrooms, onions, parsley and any vegies

then i serve with ruce

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Good luck with the meatloaf, we all loved it.

It may look pink but it will be cooked, mince often stays a pink colour in the slow cooker if the juices are clear its cooked. What time did you put it on?

*hugs*
    Cailin

we normally have mash & veg... Definitely need mash

Its also good cold (relatively thinly sliced) on baguette with rocket & tomato relish & cheddar.

I'd definitely say its cooked!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Ooooh sorry I'm only getting to you now. Mine was brown when it was cooked but I sliced an end off to check and it was brown all the way through.

And yep, definitely mash and veg, gotta be mash. And I agree, is great on a sanga or roll the next day

I hope it turned out ok Caro

It's DH's 40th birthday today and we're having a big party on Sunday. Most people are coming in the afternoon (just finger food) but there will be about 20 for dinner and I'm doing a SC fest with a Moroccan theme (borrowing extra SCs from SiL and friend of other SiL). I've got a couple of questions for those experienced SCers out there about 'converting' a recipe from normal to SC:

Is there a rule of thumb regarding cooking time?
    How much should you reduce the liquid?
    If you increase the quantity does it increase cooking time?

I was thinking about using thighs instead of chicken pieces to make it easier to eat. Do thigh fillets cook up well?

Thanks girls...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast