Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Biscuits, Slices and Brownies

Stepha Guest

Default Caramel tarts recipe

Amelia
    I found this recipe on a website, most of the ingredients are stuff that you usually have in the cupboard, if not it's stuff that you can get and it will last ages anyway and you'll have them for next time.
    I hope that this recipe will come in handy for next time.

Some tips- *the better quality chocolate you use, the better it will taste.
    * If you have some whipped or thickend cream you can put whipped cream on top, tastes great.
    * I heard that you can keep dessicated coconut in the freezer, this stops it going funny and will make it last forever.

Hope this can help. Steph

Little Caramel Tarts
    Chef: Valli Little: Food Editor of Delicious Magazine

You need:

150g (1 cup) plain flour
    1 cup dessicated coconut
    200g (1 cup firmly packed) brown sugar
    150g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease
    395g can sweetened condensed milk
    2 tbs golden syrup
    125g good-quality milk chocolate

Method:

Preheat oven to 180C. Brush two
    12-hole non-stick mini-muffin pans with melted butter.
    Combine the flour, coconut, sugar and butter in a bowl then use teaspoons of the mixture to line base and sides of each muffin hole. Bake in the oven for
    5 minutes, then remove from the oven and gently flatten the mixture against the sides and base using your fingers or the handle of a wooden spoon.
    Place the condensed milk and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly so the mixture does not catch, for 5 minutes until light golden and thickened. Set aside to cool slightly, then place a teaspoon of the caramel into each tart shell. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool completely. Remove from pan and place on a wire rack.
    Melt chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, then carefully spread over each tart. Set aside to cool completely

Default Peanut Butterscotch Crispies

YUM YUM YUM!

Thats all I'll say

We went to USA foods and bought some butterscotch morsels for Marc who is a butterscotch fiend and as its fathers day tomorrow I thought I'd make him something yummy. But also kid friendly because Paris was helping me cook.

So we made these:

Peanut Butterscotch Crispies

1 2/3 C Butterscotch Morsels (Substitute for 1 1/2 cup white choc melts & 1/4 cup golden syrup)
    1/3 - 1/2 C Peanut Butter
    3-4 Cups of Corn Flakes (You want the corn flakes to be covered very well)
    Raisins (optional I didn't use them)

Melt the chocolate and peanut butter and golden syrup in the microwave until completely melted. Then combine with corn flakes. Put Tablespoons of the mixture onto greasproof paper on a tray, to form little mounds. Refridgerate until set. ENJOY Now whilst I haven't tried my substitute method I'm sure it would work fine

*hugs*
    Cailin

Default peanut butter bonbons

Adapted from the cookie book

1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup super crunchy peanut butter
    3/4 cup packed brown or light muscovado sugar
    1/4 tsp bicarb soda
    1 egg
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 1/2 cups plain/allpurpose flour
    2 cups chopped milk chocolate (I used coles belgian chocolate)

Preheat oven to 350F/180C

beat butter and peanut butter in a large bowl with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and bicarb, beat til combined.
    beat in egg and vanilla. beat in as much flour as you can wiht the electric mixer, and the remainder with a wooden spoon.

Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place on an ungreased baking tray, 1 inch apart. Bake 8-10 mins until cookies are set and lightly browned underneath.
    Cool.

Melt chocolate - I find the microwave best for this, I do it for 45 secs at a time, stir in between til its all melted.

Dip the cooled cookies in the cholocate, and place back on the tray. freeze or refidgerate to set.

YUM-O
    Last edited by Pandora; September 7th, 2007 at 09:34 AM.

Default Tim Tam Slam Recipe

Here is one of the "tupperware" recipes that I have come across, which sounded different and decadent.

The Tim Tam Slam

1 pkt choc cake mix
    1 pkt choc instant pudding
    1 cup lemonade
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup oil
    1/2 pkt Tim Tams

Place all ingredients (except the tim tams) into the Bake2Basics large mixing bowl. Mix well with the Tupperware spatula.

When ingredients combined with no lumps place mixture into the TupperChef Kugelhopf. Then roughly break the tim tams up and push into the mixture.

Microwave on high for approx 10-15 mins depending on your microwave.

Leave to cool, and then serve....see how long it lasts!

Can't go past the good old Mars Bar Slice

4 Mars Bars chopped
    90g butter
    2 1/2 cups Rice Bubbles
    1/4 cup dessicated coconut
    Chocolate (either milk, dark or white)

Put Mars Bars and butter in a large pot and stir over low heat without boiling until mixture is smooth (it will separate a bit first but keep stiring). Stir in Rice Bubbles and coconut. Press mixture into a 19x29cm lamington pan and refrigerate for 1 hour. Melt chocolate and either drizzle or spread over the slice and let set. Cut into squares.

Then sit back with a cuppa and enjoy!

There's a few around here:

Mel's Fudge
    Lemon Slice
    No Bake Hazelnut Slice
    Mars Bar Slice
    Nigella's PB Slice

NO-BAKE CHOCOLATE SLICE

Makes 24

175g butter
    3 tbsp golden syrup
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    3 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 packet digestive biscuits, crushed
    cup desiccated coconut
    cup raisins, coarsely chopped
    250g dark chocolate melts for topping

1. Line a 17cm x 27cm slice tin with nonstick baking paper. Place butter, golden syrup and vanilla in a saucepan and heat until butter has melted.

2. Add cocoa, crushed biscuits, coconut and raisins and stir to combine. Press to cover the base of prepared tin.

3. Place chocolate melts in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water to melt. Stir until smooth, then spread over surface of slice to coat. Leave for 1 hour to set. Cut into bars with a hot knife. Store in an airtight container.

* If you don’t own a food processor, crush the biscuits for this recipe by placing them in a plastic bag and pounding them with a rolling pin.

Aunty Joan's orange slice

Cooking time: More than 1 hour
    Course: Cakes/baking

INGREDIENTS

250g packet plain sweet biscuits, crushed
    1 cup flaked coconut
    1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
    cup sweetened condensed milk
    100g butter
    Orange rind to serve

Icing
    1 cup icing-sugar mixture, sifted
    40g butter, softened
    1-2 tablespoons orange juice

METHOD

1. Lightly grease a 20x30cm slice pan. Line base and two long sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edge.

2. Place biscuit crumbs into a large bowl. Stir through coconut and rind.

3. In a small saucepan, combine condensed milk and butter. Stir over low heat for 2-3 minutes, until butter melts.

4. Blend into biscuit mixture, stirring until combined. Press mixture firmly into prepared pan. Chill for 20 minutes until firm.

5. Icing. In a small bowl, combine icing sugar and butter. Stir in juice a little at a time, beating to desired consistency.

6. Spread icing over base. Chill for 1 hour until firm. Using a hot knife, cut into squares. Serve topped with orange rind.

Makes 24

Apricot and coconut slice

Serving size: Serves 10 or more
    Cooking time: Less than 30 minutes
    Special options: Vegetarian

INGREDIENTS

250g packet Scotch Finger biscuits, finely crushed
    1 cup chopped dried apricots
    1 cup desiccated coconut
    100g butter, chopped
    50g white chocolate, melted

METHOD

Lightly grease and line an 18 x 28cm slice pan with baking paper.
    In a large bowl, combine biscuit crumbs, apricots and coconut.
    Combine condensed milk and butter in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat for 4-5 minutes, until smooth. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
    Press mixture firmly into prepared pan. Chill until firm. Drizzle top with chocolate. Chill until set.

Chocolate mallow slice

Special options: Kid friendly

INGREDIENTS

250g packet plain sweet biscuits, finely crushed
    cup marshmallows, chopped into small pieces
    cup flaked coconut
    cup milk Choc Bits
    100g butter, chopped
    1 teaspoon cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    150g milk chocolate, chopped, melted

METHOD

Lightly grease an 18 x 28cm slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
    Place crushed biscuits in a large bowl. Add marshmallows, coconut and Choc Bits.
    Combine condensed milk, butter, cocoa and vanilla in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until combined.
    Add milk mixture to dry ingredients, mixing well.
    Press mixture into prepared pan. Chill for 30 minutes until firm.
    Spread melted chocolate over slice. Chill for 15 minutes until set. Cut into squares using a hot knife.

Apricot cream cheese slice

INGREDIENTS

185g plain biscuits, broken
    90g butter, melted
    cup apricot nectar
    1 tablespoon gelatine
    375g cream cheese
    cup caster sugar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    300ml carton thickened cream, whipped
    Extra whipped cream and canned apricot halves to serve

METHOD

1. Lightly grease an 18 x 28cm slice pan. Line base and two long sides with baking paper.

2. Place the biscuits in a food processor. Process until they resemble breadcrumbs. Add butter and process until combined.

3. Press biscuit mixture firmly over base of prepared pan. Chill for 20 minutes.

4. Place nectar in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatine over the top. Warm over a low heat, stirring, until gelatine is dissolved — do not boil. Cool until mixture thickens slightly.

5. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in juice and apricot mixture. Lightly fold in whipped cream.

6. Pour over biscuit layer. Chill for 2 hours or overnight until firm. Serve cut into squares. Dollop with cream, top with sliced apricot halves.

I'll do a new post as I'm worried if this one is even going to let me post as it will have too much characters LOL!
    Last edited by Rouge; October 3rd, 2007 at 08:42 AM.

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Dark Chocolate Brownies (BEST EVER!!)

These have to be the BEST chocolate brownies I have ever had. It is from a Better Homes and Gardens magazine and we had it at a BBQ last week - I had to grab the recipe from my friend as it's to DIE for! Enjoy...

DARK CHOCOLATE BROWNIES

Ingredients

200g unsalted butter
    200g dark chocolate, chopped
    1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
    3 eggs
    1 and a 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup plain flour, sifted
    1/4 cup pure icing sugar

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line the base of a 20cm, deep, square cake tin with baking paper and grease sides.

2. Melt butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, add chocolate and cocoa, remove from heat and stir until melted and smooth.

3. Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until mixture is thick and pale.

4. Add cooled chocolate mixture and sifted flour and fold through until just combined (don't beat).

5. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

6. Stand tin on a wire rack to cool. When cold, turn out onto a flat surface and cut into 12 squares.

7. To serve, dust with icing sugar.

Note: I warm it up slightly in the microwave and then have it with a scoop of ice cream!

Love Bindy xx

Default Cookie Recipes

Ok the other thread inspired me and per Holly's request...

Snickerdoodles - Betty Crocker recipe as posted on the *Squishyness* blog
    (I have seen this recipe around quite a bit, as its an old american classic but this was posted on Amelita's blog so she inspired me )

1 1/2 cups of Sugar
    250grams of Butter
    2 large Eggs
    2 3/4 cups of Plain Flour
    2 teaspoons of Cream of Tartar
    1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
    1/4 teaspoon of Salt
    extra 1/4 cup of White Sugar
    extra 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon (I personally prefer more cinnamon but try it this way first and see what you like...)

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Beat the sugar, butter and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium, till creamed nicely. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Shape into balls and then roll them in a 1/4 of a cup of sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon. Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 8-10 Min's. Immediately remove from baking tray and place on a wire rack.

I use my truffle scoop to create balls of dough and it makes about 2-3 dozen from memory.

Now I've shared you have to share... I'll post Martha's Lemon Sugar Snap Cookies (which I'm making tomorrow) after I've made them

This is the recipe that my mum gave me, I love it

400g grated zucchini
    1 chopped onion
    3 rashes bacon (or ham if you like)
    1 cup grated cheese
    1 cup SR flour
    1/2 cup oil (you can get away with 1/4cup)
    5 eggs beaten

Mix together and pour into a greased tray. Bake for 30-40 min in a moderate oven.

Nice and easy

Here's one I use... I can't say I follow the recipe exactly, but it's a starting point. I tend to use a lot less oil, for a start.

Zucchini Slice

5 x 61g eggs
    400g zucchini grated
    2 medium carrots grated
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    cup cold pressed olive oil
    cup parsley, chopped
    teaspoon lemon pepper or black pepper and sea salt
    1 cup wholemeal SR flour
    100g soft tofu/chicken/bacon/ham

Combine all ingredients, except the flour, until well mixed and then fold in flour until well blended.

Pour into oiled lamington tin (quiche dish?) and bake in a moderate oven for 30 to 40 minutes.

Talking White choc and macadamia biscuits.

I made these yesterday and they are sensational. i had one for breakfast with my coffee. Is that bad!?

WHITE CHOC AND MACADAMIA SHORTBREAD BISCUITS

2 cups plain flour
    2 tablespoons rice flour
    1/3 cup icing sugar
    250g butter, cubed
    cup macadamia nuts, toasted, chopped
    150g white chocolate

METHOD
    Preheat oven to moderate, 180C. Lightly grease and line 3 baking trays.

Put flours and sugar in a food processor. Wizz to mix. Add butter, pulse until mixture begins to resemble bread crumbs. Put into bowl, add nuts and choc. mix.
    (Can add a teaspoon of water to help it hold together.)
    Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place onto prepared trays. Flatten slightly.
    Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned.

Cool on trays.

Note- the original recipe sifted the flours and rubbed the butter in, but i was a mum in a hurry and they worked out fine!

You made me laugh with the triangle sugar wheels, sorry ! Yes definitely can't let DH win this one ! Right, here is a very, very easy recipe for buiscuts people will not beleive you made.

Good Old-fashioned Shortbread

Traditionally associated with Scotland, shortbread now has an international reputation. What is beautiful about this particular biscuit is that it is simple to make yet divine to taste.

INGREDIENTS

125g butter
    60g sugar
    375g plain flour
    60g cornflour
    pinch of salt
    cup caster sugar

METHOD

Pre-heat the oven to 170C.

Cream butter and sugar well (in a big mixer, if possible). Sift together dry ingredients. Add to the butter and sugar combo and mix to combine.

Turn on to lightly floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Roll out to 8mm and cut into about 6cm circles. A small glass or even egg holder is fine for this.

Pour the caster sugar into a bowl and dredge one side of the biscuit in it. ***** twice with a fork.

Cook for 20-25 minutes or until very faintly golden.

Cool on a cake rack after resting on tray for a minute.

TIPS FOR BETTER BISCUITS

Creaming is beating together butter and sugar to create a sort of whipped consistency. This is easiest done with softened butter in a bowl mixer. Assuming you use a large enough bowl for all the ingredients, this also makes these biscuits a one-bowl operation, reducing washing up. Creaming can be done with a hand-held mixer, but the butter can get stuck in between the beaters and will need to be scraped out a few times during the process.

Remember your biscuits will keep cooking once they are removed from the oven - especially if left on the hot baking tray - so move them onto a wire cooling rack. It's often best to let them firm up for a minute or so before attempting this transfer.

Ovens are peculiar beasts. Some run hotter than others, so always check your biscuits during cooking. I often remove half the biscuits a little underdone - in part as an insurance policy, in part because of constant experimentation to bake the perfect biscuit.

I think butter is better, but the shortbread is also fine made with margarine.

Always use vanilla extract, not vanilla essence. It's so much better this way.

Accurate measurements tend to be more important in baking than other sorts of cooking. All spoon and cup measurements should be level, unless otherwise indicated in a recipe.

Tell DH to put up his dukes cause this is one battle he will not win ! GOOD LUCK

Nadine
    Here is a couple of ideas for you.

Cheddar crackers
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 1/2 cup unbleached flour; sifted
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 dash cayenne pepper
    2 cup cheddar; extra sharp,
    Stir the dry ingredients into a bowl and then cut in the butter. Blend in the cheddar cheese with a fork until well blended. Mix in the remaining ingredients and shape into 5cm rolls. Chill for 30 to 40 minutes in the refrigerator and then slice each roll into slices about cm thick. Bake on an ungreased oven tray at 180 degrees for about 10 minutes. Remove from tray and let cool. Store the cooled crackers in airtight containers in a cool place. They will keep for several weeks this way and if you freeze them, they will last indefinitely.

Savoury Cheese Biscuits
    1 cup plain flour
    125 g unsalted butter, small cubes
    60 g extra tasty cheese, grated
    60 g parmesan cheese, grated
    1/2 cup chopped pecan nuts
    sea salt

1 Preheat oven to 200C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place the flour in a medium sized bowl, add cubes of butter and rub with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add both cheeses and the nuts and using your hand, knead the mixture together until well combined. 3 Divide dough in two. Take each half and roll each into a log shape about 4cm in diameter. Using a sharp knife cut log into 5mm thick slices and place on prepared oven tray 3cm apart. Sprinkle biscuit lightly with sea salt. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp. 4 Remove from oven and stand the tray on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the biscuits from the tray and stand on a wire rack to cool. Cook's tip Make sure butter is wellchilled before using. If not, the butter will produce an overly soft, oily dough that will spread when baked.

Dusty, I made these yesterday and they turned out pretty good. I'm not a baker either, and I don't have any of that fancy stuff to bake with, just an oven and some elbow grease here and it worked a treat!!

Plain bickies:

125g butter, cubed
    1/2 cup caster sugar
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp vanilla essence
    1 cup plain flour
    1 cup self raising flour

Pre heat oven to 160 degrees. Line two baking trays with baking paper (I only have one, so did two batches) Beat together the sugar and egg until creamy (takes alot of effort doing it by hand!). Fold in the all of the flour, sifted, to form a soft dough.
    Turn the dough out onto some baking paper and cover with another sheet. Roll dough out to about 5mm thickness (I used a can of spray oil as I don't have a rolling pin... ). Using cookie cutters, cut the shapes you want and place on the trays.
    Bake for 10-15 mins or until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack.

*I also added a handful each of milk and white choc bits.

You can ice them of fill them if you want, here's some ideas.

Lemon Butter filling
    Beat together 60g of soft butter and 1 cup of icing sugar until smooth. Add finely grated rind of 1/2 a lemon and 1-2 tsp of juice. Beat until spreadable

Vanilla Icing

Mix 1 1/4 cups of sifted icing sugar with 1 tbsp soft butter. Add 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence and 2tbsp of boiling water. Mix until smooth.

Choc fleck icing
    Make vanilla icing as above and add 2tbsp of finely grated dark chocolate.

I hope you enjoy....

Netix (and Dusty!) - I never sift my flour ! If I'm using a bowl, I just run a whisk through it when adding it to the bowl, or if in an electric mixer, do a few high rotations on the mixer (Martha Stewart hint!).

I found my recipe book, here it is.

Expresso Biscuits

300g plain flour (approx 2 cups)
    pinch salt
    200g unsalted butter
    150g castor sugar (approx 200ml)
    3 Tblsp cocoa
    1 Tblsp cinnamon
    1 tblsp strong ground coffee

I actually use my food processor for this recipe ...

1. Rub together flour, salt & butter (in food processor, use the non-cutting blade thingy)
    2. Add rest of ingredient, process until well mixed
    3. Add 1/4 cup cold water slowly (this will bring the dough together)
    4. Refrigerate while oven preheats to moderate heat
    5. Roll dough out into a log approx 1" diameter. Cut into slices just under a cm wide
    6. Place slices on tray lined with baking paper, press fork into top of slices to make a slight pattern.

Cook about 15 mins (or until they smell really yummy and are just slightly soft)
    Cool on tray and then transfer to wire rack.

I also cheat and just take walnut-sized balls and press them into a ball then indent with fork.

They will make approx 30.

hi all
    Dusty i love to cook especially biscuits and cakes, been cooking them since i was about 8 ( im 21 now) i have the best coconut macaroon recipe ever they great for gifts especially Xmas ( like little snow balls) and require no fancy cooking gizmos promise

Easy Peasy Macaroons

2 cups Dessicated Coconut
    1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (white/raw/caster doesn't matter i prefer raw)
    1 egg
    1 Tblspoon corn/plain/SR flour
    optional food dye (green and red for Xmas)

combine dry ingredients, add egg and dye. mix with spoon (or hands) until combined, dont mix to much just til the egg is mixed in. Spoon Tablespoon amounts on greased/lined tray bake 180*C for 15 ish minutes until golden.
    PS Dusty dont need to shape these just plop them on the tray and put 'em in the oven
    Last edited by sams_mum; December 10th, 2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: forgot to add

I have a new favourite which is really easy, looks nice and only requires a bowl and spoon.
    They are called Custard Creams but are a lot like a shortbread:
    Preheat oven to 190C
    Soften 185g butter (in the microwave for 12secs)
    Add 1/2cup icing sugar and mix,
    Add 1/3cup custard powder, mix
    Add 1 1/4cups self raising flour and mix well.
    Put a piece of baking paper on a tray or grease it. Roll teaspoonfulls into balls and place on the tray.
    You can then make a variation of bickies in the one recipe by pressing 1/2 a glace cherry into the top, or a blanched almond, or a few choc chips or roll in crushed nuts or coconut. It makes one batch of biscuits into good looking selection without having to make lots of types. You could even drizzle melted choc over the top when they are finished baking.
    Cook for 12 - 15 minutes. makes about 30.
    Have fun!

i like shortbread made with rice flour the best, there are recipes around just with plain flour though if you prefer!

Just got this off ABC website, their recipes are usually pretty good....

Christmas Shortbread
    Chef: Lyn Battle
    Sweers Island

A real favourite at Christmas - buttery, melt-in-the-mouth shortbread is a delicious traditional Christmas treat. This easy recipe will help you to make your own Shortbread at home!

Degree of difficulty: Low

You need:
    250 butter, unsalted
    1/3 cup caster sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence
    2 cups plain flour
    cup rice flour
    extra caster sugar to sprinkle on top

Method:
    Preheat the oven to 'very slow' - about 150 deg C. Don't be tempted to cook the shortbread too fast.

Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

Beat the butter in a small electric mixer bowl until white and creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla essence and continue eating til the mixture increases in volume and goes a pale, creamy colour.

Add the sifted flour and rice flour, stirring in with a wooden spoon til well combined. Divide the mixture into two and knead each piece into a smooth, round ball.

Roll each ball out into a round flat 'cake' then mark lightly into segments with a knife and pinch a decorative pattern around the edges.

Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 50 -55 minutes or til a very pale golden colour. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

HTH!

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast