Thread: Cailin's Banana Choc Chip Friands

Default Cailin's Banana Choc Chip Friands

I took a few basic recipes for friands and developed this lovely concoction by changing the process (the original recipe I took it from required non beaten egg whites, which I changed due to the addition of banana & choc chip to create more of a bind and it worked perfectly)

Ingredients:

1 ripe large banana mashed
    1 cup almond meal
    1 1/4 cup of icing sugar sifted
    1/2 cup plain flour
    5 egg whites (whisked to wet peaks so they don't stick to the bowl) SEE NOTE!
    1/2 cup choc chips (I use the bits that are in between melts & chips because I like big chunks but whatever you have really)
    180g Melted butter.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl (or whisk as I do ). Add the chocolates to the dry ingredients.

Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients along with the banana, try not to over beat just till combined. Fold in the egg whites in 3 parts. Evenly distribute between 12 friand holes or 12 muffin holes.

Cook @ 200c for 20mins, I found however to prevent burning (due to extra sugar from banana I turned it down to 180 in the last 5-10 minutes. Check to see that the edges are cooked and the tops are cracked and they should be ready. Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes (unless you are impatient like me) then cool on a rack.

STOP! Don't throw away your egg yolks, pop individual egg yolks into small ziplock bags with a pinch of salt (or if you use yolks for custard some sugar) and use them later. I make mayonnaise and hollandaise so I save my yolks for that. The reason I do individual bags per yolk, is some recipes call for 1 some 2 or even 3. If you however have a recipe with 2 or 3 yolks then you can save them for that. If you don't add sugar or salt the yolks will become globby and they are harder to incorporate.

Enchanted Guest

Ooooer!! They sound very yummy Cai! I love friands... so I think I may have to make myself some!

cailin, you should publish a recipe book...