Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Desserts!

More good ideas, thank you!! I did lose weight very fast with DD, however I just don't want to stack on 30 kilos and then be stuck with it. And normally I am health conscious so I generally feel better being healthy anyway. I have enjoyed the first trimester and pigging out, but now I don't feel sick so I don't need to. Better for bub if I am being careful about what I eat. Thanks again xoxoox

Default non sweet dessert

My turn for ideas. I have racked my brain and can't think of anything.

It's my mums birthday on Wednesday and I'm cooking dinner. I can't think of anything to make/buy for dessert for her. She is not a fan of sweet things like mud cakes, cheesecakes, pies, flans, puddings.

What else could I serve? I had thought of a cheeseboard but we are having cheese beforehand with antipasta so I can't do one again after the main course or can I? Besides I'd love to have something other than cheese.

Help!

How about a fresh fruit platter???

Umm will have a think & see what I can come up with... (I love swet things LOL)

Maybe bread butter pudding, pancakes with lemon juice & a little icing sugar, lemon sorbet....

** edited to say - the recipes I have posted below I have not made so can't be sure how sweet they are **

Barbecued Bananas

INGREDIENTS:
    4 bananas
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cups vanilla ice cream

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat grill for low heat.
    Halve each of the bananas lengthwise, then widthwise. Sprinkle bananas with lemon juice. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll banana pieces in sugar/cinnamon mixture until well coated.
    Lightly oil the grill grate. Arrange bananas on preheated grill, and cook for 3 minutes per side. Serve in a bowl with vanilla ice cream topped with a sprinkling of remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture. Yum!

Noodle Pudding

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (16 ounce) package wide egg noodles
    1 (16 ounce) package cottage cheese
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
    1 pint sour cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup white sugar
    6 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup butter, melted

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1/2 cup white sugar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a large casserole dish.
    Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
    Blend together cottage cheese and cream cheese until smooth. Mix in sour cream, vanilla, sugar and eggs. When noodles are done stir together 1/2 cup butter and noodles in a large bowl. Combine cheese mixture and noodles; Blend well. Place all in one large casserole dish.
    To make the topping: Mix together graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar until it looks like large crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over top of noodle mixture.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower oven to 325 degrees and continue baking for 45 minutes more. Allow to cool before cutting and serve warm.

Apple Lasagne

INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 cup ricotta cheese
    1 egg
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
    8 lasagne noodles, cooked and drained
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup quick cooking oats
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 pinch ground nutmeg
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Combine Cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, white sugar, and almond extract in a medium bowl. Blend well. Spread one can apple pie filling over the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch pan. Layer with half of the noodles, and then the cheese mixture. Layer again with remaining noodles, and the second can of pie filling.
    Combine flour, 6 tablespoons brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over top.
    Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, prepare garnish by blending sour cream and 1/3 cup brown sugar in small bowl until smooth. Cover, and refrigerate. Serve warm apple lasagna with sour cream garnish.

Coconut Ambrosia Salad

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
    1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
    3 1/2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
    2 cups shredded coconut
    2 cups miniature marshmallows
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup maraschino cherries

DIRECTIONS:
    In a large bowl, combine the oranges, pineapple, whipped topping, coconut, marshmallows and milk.
    Mix together well and chill 1 hour before serving. Garnish with cherries.

Crepes sound delicous, I'm not how they'll go with gluten free flour though? I might make panackes as I can use buckwheat and do a yummy berry sauce.

Thanks so much for your recipes Sarah, I appreciate that! Those BBQ bananas look very very yummy!

Thanks everyone.

Nell there is a gluten free pancake shake mix in the health food section at coles, I hear its not too bad. You could water it down to make crepes I am sure!

Otherwise here's a recipe I found:

Delicious Gluten-free Crepes

(5 servings)

1 cup brown rice flour
    egg replacer for 3 eggs
    1/4 to 1/2 cup water (My Dad guesses. He says he goes by consistency. The crepe batter should be smooth)
    1 to 2 Tbsp. of oil

Choose any of following for the topping:

Your favorite berries (rasperberries / blueberries / strawberries /etc)
    your favorite nuts or nut butter
    maple syrup
    Mix together 1 cup brown rice flour, egg replacer, oil, and water in a bowl. Pour a small amount of batter in a frying pan, and cook each side throughly.

Crepes should be slightly golden brown when done. Top with nut butter, fruit, and maple syrup.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks so much girls! I did pick up the gluten free pancake mix today to give that a go but now I want to try one of the recipes!

I also bought berries and bananas as well, am going to do the banana recipe here. Yum Yum.

Default Nigella's New York Cheesecake...

Well I just put it all together and its got probably another 4 hrs to go LOL! It takes roughly 4.5 hrs to cook (well 1.5 hrs cooking time, 2 hrs with the temp off and the door closed and then 1 hr with the door slightly ajar, then you can fridge it LOL) and about 40 mins in prep, but I tell you its soooo light and fluffy I am sure it will be worth it. So once we've taste tested it I'll let you know And I'll post the recipe!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Yum Cheesecake :eat:

Ooh sounds good. My question is: how do you stop yourself licking the bowl with raw egg in it? I'm sure I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation!

Cailin the suspense is killing me. How did it go? Was it successful =P~

Here I was today making some Cornflake Choc Chip cookies and an Apricot Cake and all I could think of was Cailin and her Cheesecake LOL

yummmm.... :bellyrub:

Linda

OMG it was divine. Sorry I was away all day guys, I guess I should tell you why. Today was a sad day for us, it was my late (he passed in dec. 04) BIL's birthday and the cheesecake was for him as he loved cheesecake. Well it wasn't as "perfect" as I would have liked it to be on the outside, a few cracks here and there. But quite honestly after I put a whole heap of strawberries & blueberries on it it looked fantastic! I whipped up some creme anglais and we had it tonight shortly after when he would have been born, and it was DELISH! I will post the recipe later, as I am about to head off to bed.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast