Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desserts!

Default Desserts!

Here is a REALLY yummy dessert that is easy to make and DELICIOSO!!

(Pity I can't eat it now - damn gestational diabetes!!)

Hope you give it a try - was featured in Women's Weekly a few months ago.

Banana Tarte Tatin

Serves 6
    Preparation 10 Minutes
    Cooking 18 Minutes
    This Recipe is best made just before serving.

50g Butter, chopped
    1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
    ¼ cup (60m) thickened cream
    ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3 medium (600g) bananas, sliced thickly
    1 sheet frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
    1 egg, beaten lightly

Preheat oven to hot (220C/200C fan-forced)

Combine butter, sugar, cream and cinnamon in a small saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil; reduce heat, simmer uncovered, for 2 minutes.

Pour caramel sauce into base of a 23cm pie dish; arrange bananas over base of dish.

Trim the corners from the pastry sheet to form about a 24cm circle. Place the pastry sheet over the bananas, ease pastry into side of dish. Brush pastry with egg; cook in a hot oven for 15 minutes or until pastry is browned.

Invert tarte, serve with cream or iceream.

Default Granny's Apple Crumble

Stewed Apples

6 Good Sized Apples (I have used, granny smith, golden delicious & Pink Lady)
    1/4 - 1/2 Cup Sugar (to taste)
    1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
    1/4 Cup Water

Peel and core apple. Slice apple into chunks. Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and stew until they are soft (to liking).

Crumble Topping

4 Heaped Dessert Spoons Plain Flour
    1 Dessert Spoon Sugar (you can add more if you like)
    About 2 - 3 Dessert Spoons Butter/Margarine (enough to make the mixture crumbly)

Rub butter through the sugar/flour mixture until you get a crumbly dough that will form a ball.

To assemble Apple Crumble line an oven proof dish with apple. Crumble the dough over the top of the apple.

Bake in a moderate oven (180C).

Serve hot with ice-cream, warm custard &/or King Island Cream *drool*

*hugs*
    Cailin

Default Caramel Chocolate Tarts

****This recipe is from the AWW Best Food Cookbook****

1 Cup (150g) plain flour
    90g butter, chopped
    1/4 cup (55g) sugar
    400g can sweetened condensed milk (I used 395 tin LOL)
    30g butter, extra
    2 tablespoons golden syrup
    100g dark chocolate melted (I used microwave)

1. Preheat oven to moderate (180C). Grease two 12 hole 1 1/2 tablespoon (30 ml) mini muffin pans
    2. Blend or process flour, butter and sugar until ingredients just come together (I didn't blend because it would kill the blender, but if you have a full on blender it might work. I used my mixer, mind u its heavy duty I wouldn't recommend using hand beaters). Press level teaspoons of butter mixture into each hole of prepared pans. Bake in moderate oven about 10 minutes or until browned lightly.
    3. Meanwhile, combine condensed milk, extra butter and syrup in a small saucepan; stir until smooth. Do not boil.
    4. Pour hot caramel into hot bases (I used a metal milk jug to pour it in but if you have a pyrex or microwave safe jug you could use that, I just find its easier than pouring out of saucepan); return to oven about 3 minutes or until caramel begins to brown around the edges. Stand for 2 minutes; using a pointed vegetable knife, gently remove tarts from pan (Now this was a bit tricky as you don't want to scratch the coating off your tin or better still ruin the tarts, but don't worry about losing a bit off the sides as once its coated in chocolate you can't tell!). Cool.
    5. Spread top of cooled tarts with melted chocolate; stand until set.

makes 24

per tart: 6.9g fat; 627 kj
    tip: this recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead. Refridgerate, covered in an air tight container.

Made these this morning!

YUMMO!

*hugs*
    Cailin

aww yummo!!
    they sound devine
    I'll be giving them a go

though im chocaholic lol so anything choclatey is yum for me

Thanks for sharing cailin!

Lesley

Melinda Guest

Aaahh....I knew this forum was calling to me for a reason! LOL

Yummmmm =P~

Default Ice Cream recipes

It's coming up to that time of year again, and as I just my ice cream maker off mum, I thought we could share recipes. I've got a few I've messed around with off the net, but I thought I'd start with this absolute gem I made by mistake the other night. It's lovely and light, but super rich, and probably no good for your waist line, but it's really yummy!

Honeycomb Ice cream.
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 box instant honeycomb mousse (I used white wings)
    1 cup sugar
    375ml milk

Sitr sugar into condensed milk. Sprinkle mousse on top. Realise you've used condensed milk instead of evaporated milk and you can't whip the mixture so stir instead. Add milk till mixture is runny enough to whip. Putting your bowl in the sink over hot water will help. Beat for at least 2 minutes. Pour into your ice cream maker or if you don't have one, or it's broken like mine, place in the freezer and stir in about half an hour. You can stir after that again, but I didn't, I went to bed.

This comes out the consistency of very soft toffee and is super creamy. I also added Crunchie chocettes to mine, but you don't have too. I ate almost all of this myself. It only makes a small batch, but most people can't eat more than a very small serve at once anyway.

I plan on making this recipe with the other sort of carnation milk (ie evaporated) and see how it works. The original recipe wasn't very specific, but it tasted so good I didn't care. I also was supposed to use instant pudding, but coles didn't have honeycomb pudding, and the mixes are much the same. You could make any sort of ice cream using the basic recipe and changing the flavour of pudding mix.

So, who's next? If you're all good, I might share my recipe for Cherry Ripe ice cream too!

Default Divine Coffee Cheesecake

I had this at my mothers group morning tea the other day........it was divine........

Coffee Cheesecake

Filling

675g Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    2 eggs
    3 tablespoons cornflour
    1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
    225g caster sugar
    3 tablespoons of instant espresso coffee powder
    2 tablespoons cream
    250ml cream, whipped

Base

1 packet Nice biscuits, crushed fine
    115g butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 150`c
    2. Mix together crushed biscuits and melted butter. Press mixture firmly onto base and sides of a lightly greased 20cm spring-form tin or loose bottom tin. Refrigerate until required
    3. Blend the cream cheese in a food processor until smooth
    4. Add the eggs one by one, until combined
    5. Keeping the processor on low, add the cornflour, the vanilla and the sugar
    6. Warm the 2 tablespoons cream for 15 seconds in the microwave and then dissolve the espresso powder into it, and then add this to the processor (again on slow)
    7. Remove the mixture from the processor and tip into a large bowl
    8. Using a whisk, then fold in the whipped cream
    7. Tip all this into the cheesecake base and bake for 25 mins
    8. Leave to cool, then refrigerate until set.

Ok, after some requests, I'm adding more recipes here. I did try that recipe with evaporated milk and wildberry mousse, and it was good, but the mousse made it too sweet. I've used both sorts of milk with chocolate pudding, and they are both good. It's a recipe you just have to play around with to see how you like it best.

Just for you Christy: Turkish Delight Ice cream.

* 4 egg yolks
    * 1/2 cup sugar
    * 1 1/4 cups milk
    * 1 1/4 cups thickned cream
    * 1 tablespoon rose water
    * 165g of Fry's Turkish delight chopped

Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light. In a pan, bring the milk to a full boil. Add to the egg and sugar, stirring, then return to the pan. Continue stirring over low heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil or it will curdle. Let cool, then stir in the cream and rose water.

Put the Turkish delight in a pan with 2-3 tablespoons of water. Heat gently, until almost completely melted, with just a few small lumps. Remove from the heat and stir into the cooled custard mixture.

Let the mixture cool completely, then pour into a freezer container. Shallow is better, because it will freeze faster, but whatever you have will do. Freeze for 3 hours, until completely frozen all over. Well, that's what the recipe said, but it is easier if the mixture is only semi frozen. Spoon the mixture into a bowl.

Using a whisk, beat the mixture well, return it to the freezer container and freeze for 2 hours more. Repeat the beating process, then return to the freezer for about 3 hours or until firm. The more often you beat the ice cream, the creamier it will be. The idea is to stop long ice crystal from forming. You want lots of very small ice crystals, so the ice cream doesn't feel like a half frozen bottle of coke when you eat it.

Remove the ice cream from the freezer 20-25 minutes before serving. This is important, because it's really hard to scoop.

mmmmm.... thanks heaps Susan!!! DH LOVES turkish delight and as its his birthday soon... I will make some of this for him! I might have to make a practice round soon though...

That's how I found the recipe. DP loves Turkish Delight, so I made it for Father's day LOL

These recipes sound delicious!!

where can you get rose water from?

Thanks

Rose water can be bought from the supermarket, near baking supplies, with the other essences.

If anyone has a request for an ice cream flavour, let me know, and I'll see if I can adapt one to suit. I'm currently working on a pink grapefruit ice cream, proper ice cream, not sorbet, but I don't know yet what flavour my next batch will be. Please any requests? I'm just looking for more excuses here. (And interesting flavours!)

So, I haven't made my pink grapefruit ice cream yet, but I made Pink G sorbet with champagne today. Really simple and very yummy, even if it hasn't cooled, let alone frozen yet lol.

4 cups pink grapefruit juice
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup champagne (I used 220ml, because that's the size of the bottle I had, but it really could have done with less)

Pour 1 cup of juice into a non corrosive saucepan with the sugar and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add rest of juice and champagne. Chill until chilled (!) and then freeze in ice cream maker or in freezer, beating or stirring when half frozen a few times.

Couldn't be easier.

These recipes sound soooo yummy. Thanks Susan.

I will be definitley trying them out especially with the warmer weather coming.

Default Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe Request

Me again!

I just remembered, I want a Bread and Butter Pudding recipe if anyone has one.

TIA

nellbe

Ok there are sooooooo many different types around so I will post a few different kinds, I have had some made with chocolate, crossaints, penatone, fruit loaf, dates, date loaf, Jam, kahlua etc etc so I will find a few of each and post them

First one being Cadbury's Bread and Butter Pudding with a difference

Bread and Butter Pudding With A Difference

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
    2–3 croissants
    75 g (3 rows) Cadbury Dark Cooking Chocolate
    200 ml light sour cream
    2 eggs
    3 tablespoons sugar
    11/2 cups milk
    Cadbury Drinking Chocolate

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Cut a slit at one end of each croissant and insert a row of chocolate into the centre. Place the croissants so that they fit snuggly into a greased casserole dish.

2. Beat the sour cream, eggs and sugar together until smooth. Add the milk and mix well. Pour over the croissants.

3. Place the casserole dish into a baking dish. Half-fill the baking dish with boiling water. Bake for 40 minutes or until the custard is set.

4. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.

5. Dust with drinking chocolate to serve. For easy cutting or grating, have Cadbury Chocolate at room temperature. If this is not possible, then warm it in the microwave on Medium (50% power) for 15-second bursts.

Mmmmmm

*hugs*
    Cailin

This is a coles recipe pretty similar to what we used to do at home although often my parents would use normal bread and either add dates or sultana's which I HATE lol! And we never added the ricotta...

coles meal ideas

bread and butter pudding PREPARE 10 mins
    COOK 35 mins
    SERVES 4

6 slices Fruit Loaf
    1/4 cup Blackberry Jam
    3 Eggs
    1 tspn Ground Cinnamon
    2 tblslpns Icing Sugar
    1/3 cup Raw Sugar
    1 tspn Vanilla Essence
    500 ml Custard
    25 g Butter
    2 cups Milk
    250 g Ricotta Cheese

1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C for fan forced ovens). Lightly grease a 1.5 litre baking dish with butter.

2. In a mixing bowl combine milk, ricotta cheese, eggs, ¼ cup of sugar, vanilla essence, and cinnamon. Whisk together with a hand whisk until mixture is smooth.

3. Spread slices of bread evenly with butter and jam. Cut bread in half diagonally.

4. Arrange bread slices overlapping in prepared dish. Pour over ricotta cheese mixture and leave to stand for 10 to15 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 30 minutes or until set.

5. Meanwhile heat custard in a small saucepan over medium heat for 2 to3 minutes or until custard is hot.

6. Dust pudding with icing sugar. Spoon into individual bowls and serve with warm custard.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Here's another more old fashioned recipe

Bread and Butter pudding
    Chef: Pat Morrish

Serves 8-10

Degree of difficulty: Medium

You need:

Half a cup of sultanas or mixed fruit… (pat doesn’t like peel so she sticks to the sultanas)
    3 tablespoons of brandy
    8 slices fruit bread or wholemeal bread slices
    Butter or margarine
    5 eggs
    500ml of pouring cream
    700 ml milk
    2-3 tablespoons of castor sugar
    1-2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
    Nutmeg

Method:

Pre-heat oven to around 160…(moderately slow). Soak the sultanas in the brandy for a couple of hours.

Cut most of the crusts off the bread, butter, and cut into 3 strips per slice.

Beat the eggs with the cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla.

Place the bread strips in layers in a large baking dish (don’t worry how many layers there are), sprinkling some of the sultanas across each layer.

Pour over the egg mixture, and sprinkle with nutmeg.

Place this dish is a larger one half filled with water and bake for about an hour, to an hour and a quarter.

You will know if it’s cooked sufficiently if you insert a skewer or thin-bladed knife into the pudding and it comes out relatively clean … without any runny liquid on it … bon appetit!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast