thread: Muffins

Dec 2005

Muffins

Ok, hit me with your best (and preferably quick and simple) muffin recipes... If they happen to be something I can freeze, all the better. I'm finding that I need something (particularly for breakfast and lunch) really quick and simple... and I can't balance a bowl of cereal on one knee and a baby on the other. Frozen muffins that I can nuke in the microwave sound like the ideal solution. Sweet or savoury, I don't mind. I'm just tired of packet mixes.

BW

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

There's a really good corn and cheese muffin recipe that Sarah has, that uses the tin as a measurement. I'll try and get her to come post it.

Some ideas would be Zucchini muffins, Carrot Muffins, Apple Muffins, Orange Muffins (there are some great ones where you stick everything in the food processor including a whole orange and it tastes great, really good fiber wise too)... ummm will think of some more. If you give me some ideas of what you're after exactly I can get you some recipes.

Oct 2008

I made some yesterday and they were bacon, spring onion, corn and polenta, with all the other muffin things in them. Really really yummy, even DD liked them (except the green bits!) They are really filling and quiet healthy when you use light soy, wholemeal flour and low fat everything else. Let me know if you want the full receipe.

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Cai, I make those tinned corn muffins! I just forget the oven temp . Committed to memory...

But its one tin of creamed corn (scrape out all the corn)
    one tinful of self raising flour
    one tinful of grated cheese

Combine altogether. The creaminess of the corn binds it altogether. Spoon into lightly greased muffin tray. Bake in preheated oven for 20mins at 190.

I also add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the mix sometimes, and use a standard size (12 hole) tray. A sprinkle of parmesan cheese would add a bit of extra flavour too. I think that the 400-odd gram tins equals about two cups, instead of trying to stuff grated cheese back into the tin just to fish it out again!

When I make other muffins, I bake them for 20 minutes at 170 (my oven is fan forced), that's what I do these at I think.

I have some muesli/breakfast muffin recipes that I will go look for.

Dec 2005

The corn and cheese muffins sound great. Anything that's going to require a lot of grating of hard things in particular is going to be an issue (zucchini probably ok, carrot not so ok) because of the arthritis in my hands. I'm getting better, but still have issues.

I'd love a cheese and bacon recipe that's better than the one I have (which I can't get to anyway, the recipe books are all still in a box - whereabouts unknown) as the base on that one seems rather sweet and it just tastes wrong.

BW

Jan 2009
    hiding under my desk!

bw do you have a food processor with the grater attachment?
    if im grating bulk amounts i use that over a grater..

Dec 2005

We don't actually have a food processor at all. I'm thinking that we should probably get one... especially with Sam starting solids looming on the horizon.

BW

Feb 2004
    Melbourne

Yep that's the recipe I use Then we add in diced bacon, capsicum, zucchini.... Whatever I feel like at the time.

Dec 2005

It's a shame I don't have a tin of creamed corn in the pantry! I'd be going to make some now if I did! Adding in some bacon sounds really yummy.

BW

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Okay, I have lots of recipes for muffins, the 'breakfast' ones have grated carrot in them. Do you still want me to put in in? Others include; apple and toasted muesli, banana, cheese and tomato, honey oat, sticky date (oh, what a wicked breakfast!), pumpkin ginger and nutmeg, muesli, savoury, etc.

To freeze (pretty much any sort of muffin), place cooled muffins into a freezer bag or suitable container and freeze. Defrost on the bench, in the fridge, or microwave.

If making mini muffins, roughly halve the cooking time, but check with skewer, as sometimes they are cooked in the middle, but not brown on top.

Bacon and Pesto Muffins

100g bacon rashers, rind and fat removed
    1 cup sr flour
    1/4 cup parmesan or cheddar cheese, finely grated
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup milk
    45g butter, melted
    2 tblsp basil pesto (or omit if can't have nuts)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160ff). Lightly grease a 12 hole regular muffin tray.
    Cut bacon into small dice then cook in a hot frypan with a little butter or oil until crispy. Remove and place on paper towel, set aside to cool.
    In a large bowl, combine flour and cheese.
    In a medium size bowl, combine egg, milk, melted butter and pesto.
    Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and add the cooked bacon. Mix gently until combined. Spoon into the muffin tray.
    Bake for 20mins until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cheese and Dill Muffins

1 cup sr flour
    2/3 cup parmesan or cheddar cheese, finely grated
    1 1/2 tblsp dill, chopped
    1 tblsp parsley, chopped
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    2/3 cup milk
    45g butter, melted

Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160ff). Grease 12 hole regular muffin tray.
    In a large bowl, combine flour, cheese and herbs.
    In a medium bowl, combine the egg, milk, and melted butter.
    Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix gently until combined. Spoon into the muffin tray.
    Bake for 20mins until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

These two recipes are from Frost Bite by Susan Austin. A book all about making stuff to freeze.

Sarah, I'm glad I get it right! Mmm, bacon....

That's what I meant to ask.... Mods, is it worth/good idea to create a index for the muffin recipe thread the same as the SC recipes? Think I'll post these there too.
    Last edited by Netix; April 23rd, 2009 at 02:04 PM. : Q for Mods

Dec 2005

The bacon and pesto muffins sound divine... just checked, no pesto in the house, but I'm tempted to go ahead and make them without. I've got everything else.

I'm allergic to banana, so I won't be going for those ones, but I imagine others would love them.

Do the apple ones used dried apple or fresh grated apple? (and I wonder if I can somehow use the tin of bakers apple in the cupboard instead...)

The honey oat ones sound great. As do the pumpkin ones (I'm wondering if I could substitute sweet potato...).

Do you have non-cheesy savoury ones?

Of course... won't be doing anything in the kitchen in a hurry unless Mr Grizzlebum gets his act together today.

BW

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

The apple ones uses a grated apple, but I imagine that a tin of apple would much much the same in the end.

Substituting sweet potato for pumpkin would be good, as its cooked and mashed before putting in the mix.

Non cheesy.... the recipe calls for half a cup of cheddar, but they would be fine without cheese altogether.

I am trying to do some work around my own two grizzlebums now, but I will try to type and post the apple, honey oat, pumpkin and savoury ones if I can. And some sultana ones I make often.

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Just posted those ones you were after in the muffin recipe sticky thread.

I would advise on making at least double quantities of muffins that you like (maybe try single batch first to test them, then go for your life). Its much easier to make huge batches than to make single batches all the time.

Mini muffins are nice, but seem to be so much more work than the medium size ones.

I forgot to put in the breakfast muffin recipe I mentioned before! Maybe later.

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    Sydney

Just made a batch tonight - they are norty ones LOL, but delicious with a cuppa......

BLUEBERRY or RASBERRY MUFFINS

140g melted butter
    2 Eggs
    5 Tbl milk
    120g frozen berries (i usually buy Sara Lee rasberries. Blueberries are just as nice too)
    1 cup SR flr
    1 cup P flr
    1 cup Caster sugar

Mix butter, eggs and milk together. Add gradually the dry ingredients. Once all mixed, add berries, stir once or twice. Pop into greased muffin tray. Usually makes 10. In oven for 15-20 mins on 180-200.

I mix it all in my kitchen aid. Never tried hand mixing, but cant see it being too difficult.

Delic warm with butter........

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

BW, I have just added my muesli/breakfast muffin recipe to the muffin recipe thread (edited my last post) in case you get a food processor and can grate apple and carrot.

Best of luck. I'm off to make about a hundred banana muffins or cake, as I have a HEAP of bananas that need to be cooked!

Dec 2005

Thanks so much, netix. I did the bacon and pesto ones yesterday (minus the pesto) and they turned out really well. I've got the kitchen stocked to have a go at a few more over the next few days, too.

Mbear, I've got a packet of frozen berries in the freezer that I've been wanting to use for a recipe just like the one you posted, so that's another that will be happening soon.

BW

Dec 2005

Netix, I spent the afternoon making the honey oat muffins... they smell sooooo good! Thankyou once again.

Dinner last night ended up being some of the bacon muffins I made the other day... it's so tempting to just eat a few honey oat muffins tonight instead of a proper meal. DH is out, he won't know how many muffins I made to start with...

BW

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

I'm really glad you're getting the most out of those recipes! And you are having a much more successful baking day than I....

This morning, I was going to make Anzacs, but have no plain flour or bicarb soda

Yesterday I was going to make all those banana muffins, but have no spray oil to grease the pan with

And not enough sr flour anyway

Need I go on?

Anyway. Have more recipes if you want. And honey oat muffins do not equate to a proper dinner, but I can't talk ...