Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Head Lice

Every school is different and I am pretty sure that now all schools cant send kids home as it is 'discriminatory' towards the child.

But in my opinion it is in the best interest of your child and the others to keep at home until its gone. If they go to school it just spreads it and then once your child has gotten rid of it they might contract it again from another child and the cuycle just goes on and on!

Mitch4now- I did the same thing with my kindy class this week as nits is going around! The kids were quite open about is as I I even explained that when I was little and at school I had nits as well as they can just jump into your hair.

My DS9 gets them all the time and it drives me insane. I use the Nads nit foam and it works great but I wish the parents of the kid he gets them from would fix their kids hair. I only have to leave it on for 1/2 hour and it is done.

I had lice the WHOLE way through primary school, my mother used to treat me every 2 or 3 weeks and I'd always get them back. Only after a visit with my dad, on school holidays (my parents were/are separated), did I get rid of the buggers, went back to my mums and got them again. grr. Because of my hair (THICK and long) it would literally take 3 or 4 hours to comb through my hair.
    After trying basically every product on the market and lots of psychological trauma - from teasing at school to being told that the hair dresser wouldn't cut my hair because of the lice (made me scared and embarrased(sp) to go to the hairdresser for a LONG time) - we finally found a way to keep them away:
    - firstly I moved to my fathers house lol and as well as that
    - put a few drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle with some water and spray ALL over the hair and head every couple of days and
    - every couple of weeks put a tea tree oil based lice treatment through the hair regardless of whether you find any lice or not.

We found that the treatments with lots of chemicals worked for a little while but were really bad for the hair and the lice get used to the chemicals and they stop working.

Just a few things I have learnt over the many many years:
    - Lice HATE tea tree oil as they cant grip the hair, the eggs wont stick and I believe - could be wrong - it is also toxic to them.
    - Lice dont jump they swing from the infected to the non-infected persons hair. So contrary to popular belief, you can only get it them you come into contact with the persons hair.
    - Lice like clean hair rather than dirty or unwashed hair, so just because a child has lice doesn't mean they are dirty.
    - They can hold thier breath for a number of days so "suffocating" them doesnt work.
    - You have to THOROUGHLY comb through the hair every strand from scalp to tip, every time you treat the lice as if you miss even one egg or louse they come back within a matter of days.

That's all I can think of for now HTH
    Last edited by Calluna; March 5th, 2009 at 11:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12