Thread: New bub and 7 year old

Default New bub and 7 year old

Hi guys!
    Im just starting to stress a little about bringing bub home. I have one other DD who is 7.5. Although she's excited and will be a good help sometimes Im sure, Im worried about how much of a zombie Im going to be at first, and how bored she'll be and what should I do to occupy her? It will be school hols soon which totally freaks me out.
    She gets a bit sensitive when I pay attention to my nephew (2) and I know it willbe the same with bubs, even though she will get used to it. Im also worried about my temper as I'll be soooo tired and impatient.
    Does anyone have any tips, suggestions at all?? Just the thought of having to make her breakfast/lunch/dinner is a nightmare, knowing with her I didn't even cook for about 2 months after she was born. DH will help a bit, but he's not off work for long.
    thanks guys xoxox

Different age gap and circumstances I kow, but I was really stressed at the thought of having a newborn and also dealing with my DD who was 16 months. I got myself in a real state about it, to the point that I wasn't even looking forward to meeting my new baby boy, because I was so fearful that I wouldn't be able to cope!

In the end, after my brother said to me, conversationally "Will you be able to manage both of them?" that I realised OF COURSE I could. And that in reality I had no choice anyways, and whilst I knew it would be hard work, it didn't ned to be nervous breakdown type of stressful, IYKWIM?

You will likely find that as a second time Mum that you have an extra reservoir of energy, and that you'll find time and patience and resources to easily manage two. Plus, I have heard it said that older sibblings such as a 7 year old can actually be really helpful?

I can't really offer any practical suggestions, but I do totally know where you are at at the moment, and I think & hope, that your fears are heaps worse than reality!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Maybe you could get her things that she can do on her own. Does she like to learn things? Maybe you can get her books (I think you can get them in book shops and in Toys r Us) where she can learn maths and english and things like that. Or some kind of crafty thing that she can do on her own. Maybe in the holidays (I know it's gonna sound like a nightmare) she could have a couple of friends over then they can atleast keep each other entertained, then maybe she will be invited to someone's house. You could hire weekly dvds/videos for her to watch maybe with some popcorn or something (this you could possibly do whilst you were feeding bubs)

As for making breakfast/lunch/dinner, what does she normally have for breakky? Is it possible that she could make her own breakfast? Like cereal or toast? For lunches, maybe you could make things that will go a long way or make things and freeze them before bubs comes? Like quiche, zucchini slice, sausage rolls. Same for dinners, make up some casseroles, bolognaise sauce, things like that then all you have to worry about is making the pasta or veg etc

I don't have a 7 year old but I'm sure they could be very helpful, does she have regular chores that she does for pocket money? If not maybe this is something that you could introduce. She would be capable of cleaning her room, putting any toys away etc.

Not sure if I have helped, I hope I have

I have a 7yr old & now Indah & Maddy is an exceptionally huge help, she changes wet nappies, If I am busy cooking etc, she will sing, dance & entertain Indah if I am busily trying to get something done...
    As it was also school holidays when I had her, she stayed at Mum & Dads a night here & there & also at my sisters & spent a day out with friends.

I also made sure we didnt just sit at home, even if it was just a sanga & a pkt of chips/biscuits & a walk to the park, where I could rest whilst she played & Indah slept in the pram!!!

You'll be fine..... She might surprise you & take over being Mum!!!!

Thank you everyone for suggestions!! Yes, DD makes her own breakfast, so I'll just get some simple things for other times. I'll also have to have a box of craft or something up my sleeve!!
    Barley, your girls are soooo cute!! We have a similar gap, so it's good to know you survived!!! I will also have mum and sister so she can go there sometimes. I will have to call some of her friends too I think and see if they can help!!! Im sure DD will be a huge help as well, but I know better than to think she will all the time. I was 11 when my sister was born and although I helped do most things, I also would say no alot!!! Had to have my own space!!!
    But thanks guys, I think I can do it!! We'll manage, and it's true, there's no choice, so I might as well look forward to it and be positive (easy to say)!!!!
    Will let you know how it all goes !! xoxo