Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Clomid for LPD

Deb you are so sweet. I'm sure you'll have a belly buddy very soon!

**But it won't be me! have started spotting again today (cd23) so looks like whatever is going on with me following my lap surgery is going to be an ongoing problem. Getting the results of my blood tracking for this cycle tomorrow but at this stage am pretty confident it isn't going to be good news. Soooooo over this!

Last edited by Willow; August 24th, 2006 at 10:25 AM.

Deb, hope you pop into this thread sometime soon cause I don't know where else to post this.

I am just reading over some of your early posts in this thread. I'm sure we've talked about what has been happening with my cycles since my lap in late may to remove an endometrioma from my ovary (this was after my m/c but between my m/c and the surgery my cycles and af were normal). Whilst I did have an endometrioma removed, it was single site endo only, have never had any problems with endo before and have conceived naturally twice on the first cycle of ttc, so I don't have a 'history' of endo (which I know can cause this type of spotting).

Anyway, have been doing blood tracking this cycle to sort out the cause of this spotting (usually starts at about 7-10dpo) and am getting the results tomorrow.

From your experience and wealth of knowledge do you think either of these scenarios is probable (a) that I have low levels of progesterone at the moment which is causing this spotting so early before af arrives or (b) that the imbalance is so bad that I am not ovulating at all? I have had positive opk's the last two cycles but as we know, they aren't conclusive.

I am starting to think that it's a big possibility my gyno might recommend Clomid for me too and am freaking out a bit about that. I am seeing him next Tuesday so not long to wait.

Any info/ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Willow - I hope I can help a little. :hugs:
    Spotting prior to your period does indicate some type of hormonal 'disturbance' . If you are receiving positive opk's it is likely that you are ovulating. However, you are right to say it isn't a definite. Testing your progesterone levels 7 days before your next period is the best way of letting us know you ovulate. As you will see from me, if you don't ovulate on cd14 a cd21 test won't give you peanuts. So, when you get a positive opk assume that the day after the positive you ovulate. Count 7 days from then and get your blood test. This is important. You will see from me that my cd21 test indicated I hadn't ovulated but my cd25 and cd27 tests indicated I had. Quite obviously I did as I am gestating away as we speak!

Clomid isn't too scary - though no drug should be taken flippantly I would be the first to agree. However, it can be really helpful in sorting out luteal phase defects and by boosting hormone levels to facilitate a nice strong LH surge which has the flow on of increasing the progesterone levels. Without decent prog. levels it is more difficult for a pregnancy to be maintained. This is why shorter luteal phases often precede pregnancy losses in the first few days - simply the prog. level begins it's decline before the implanted pregnancy triggers a greater progesterone increase.

Really the side effects of clomid in MOST but not all women are minimal. The risk of multiple birth (mainly twins) is about 8 percent - so you have a 92 percent chance of not having a multiple! There are some studies that show fertility drugs increase the risk of gynaecological cancers however gynaecological cancers are higher in women with fertility issues also so the figures ar a little contentious. I would argue that the contraceptive pill does more to stuff around our 'bits' than some rounds of clomid - but that's my thing and isnt' a medical fact.

I hope I have helped if I can help more let me know.

And how is the pregnant one going today

Thanks Deb, you've pretty much confirmed everything i was thinking. I am feeling confident that my cd21 tests will be pretty accurate as I got a positive opk on cd13, so would assume that I o'd on cd14 or thereabouts which means cd21 should be about spot on give or take a day.

I am also worried about the low levels of prog. making it impossible to maintain a pregnancy, assuming of course I am o'ing and that little egg is getting fertilised. I must say, considering I have fallen so easily in the past and my gyno expected no further problems, I have wondered if this is what might be happening.

I guess I am more terrified of assisted conception generally than of the actual drug itself. But I must say, the thought of twins at this stage is a little appealing! I am not naive when it comes to raising twins, I've seen it first hand and know how challenging it can be on a daily basis but at the same time if i never had to do this again I would be very relieved!! Three little babies in my arms would be more than I could hope for. It's such a hard journey for some of us, well worth it in the end of course, but still tough and I am struggling with it at the moment.

Thanks again for your reply, I will let you know how I go next week after speaking to my gyno

Hope you are feeling well and that little baby is getting nice and sticky in there!

Glad it helped Willow - will you let me know what you prog.level is? I hear what you say about assisted conception. I felt quite the same.

I am feeling okay. I didn't have much nausea yesterday and I burst into tears this morning. I spent some time centring myself and I am feeling better. I know that I am going to be having a topsy turvy trip of emotions for the first 16 weeks. I am counting down the days until I can see our baby's heartbeat. That is my second hurdle (my first being the hcg levels!). I am like the pregnancy symptom super sleuth! However, when I sit down with myself and do some positive work I feel much better.

It's my birthday today and I am off to lunch with some girls. I am looking forward to it.
    Have a great day,

Oh wow, happy bday Deb!!! What a nice bday present you got this year, just snuck it in before your turned 39 hey??? I remember you saying your 39th was fast approaching.

I'm at work today, seeing Dr at lunch time so will try to get back in and post my prog. results this arvo. If not, I'll do it tonight.

Fingers crossed!!

Have a great lunch and keep up that centering and positive thought!

kirsty Guest

Hiya girls if you want to keep chatting about this you'll find a new thread over here

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789