Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Brother - an outrage!!!!!!

Regardless of whether Kate disclosed losing her baby when she applied or not is not the real issue. The real issue is that they aired the show to get ratings. They knew how upset she was but they don't care about people's feelings.

Having a stillborn has a massive effect on your life. It is something that you have to live with every single day, a constant pain in your heart and a sickness in your stomach. To say that it isn't a live baby you get to love...............I'm sorry but it is a live baby for 9 months and I don't know about anyone else but I loved my baby the minute it was conceived. You see your baby on u/s and you feel your baby.

Unless you have experienced the heartbreak of a stillborn, you can't imagine the pain. Unfortunately the general public is not aware that stillbirth still happens today. We need to work very hard to change that perception, but it's a hard fight as the word "stillbirth" is almost a conversation stopper. Stillbirth is a worldwide problem and only a global effort will finally ensure change. We all need to talk about our angels and stillbirths as often as we can... this desensitises people to the word.

Please donít tell them you never got to know me

It is I whose kicks you will always remember,
    I who gave you heartburn that a dragon would envy,
    I who couldnít seem to tell time and got your days and nights mixed up,
    It is I who acknowledged your craving for ice cream by knocking the cold bowl off your belly,
    I who went shopping and helped you pick out the perfect teddy bear for me,
    I who liked to be cradled in your belly and rocked off to dreamy slumber by the fire,
    It is I who never had a doubt about your love,
    It is I who was able to put a lifetime of joy into an instant

willow - definitely they should have, it angers me that it took such a deceitful path for it to happen.
    Saying what I have said, I would rather people have discussed it with me after the episode of Greys anatomy a few weeks back, then after this though.

I didn't mean to offend anybody, I only wanted to point out one kind of positive that came from this, the rest have only been negatives.
    lynn you have such wise words and are so passionate in your plight, god bless you, you are a sweetheart

I agree Klee, sadly I think they could have chosen a nicer way of doing so.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I'm sure people that go on BB know that everything is live 24hrs for all to see, and that past tragedies and situations are bound to come up, and are prepared for that. I don't see it as any different to airing someone else revealing the tragic death of their mother or something. I lost my father to cancer but I didn't get upset thinking that the death of a parent was trivialised by Ben talking about losing his mother. (I think it was Ben in a previous BB??)

My opinion re the task is that it was thoughtless rather than deliberate. Yes, VERY thoughtless, seeing that they knew of her situation.

Someone said the producers "aren't stupid" and that they did it on purpose.. I personally think they would be very stupid to DO it on purpose.

That someone would be me... what I mean is they aren't naive enough to not know... and yes they obviously were stupid to do it on purpose IMO.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I think it is different when one chooses to talk about a family tragedy compared to one that doesn't have that choice. Yes I agree that if you go on a show like this then you have to be prepared for anything. But having said that, they knew about her situation and still continued to go ahead with the task. Then having seen how upset she was still aired it. A little bit of sensitivity and compassion should have been used.

Hi ladies

It is disgusting isn't it - would love to get a bunch of us (who have lost our little angels) to tell BB Mgmt exactly what it feels like to go through - heartless bast*rds. I mean to know peoples secrets and to use these to get ratings (whether she felt "over" it or not) - they have certainly got a reaction - but is it the right one that they want - perhaps it is (will more people watch now wanting to see Kate's reaction and how she copes in the house) ???

Will be sending my message shortly to Helen Coonan - apparently i read earlier that no one had complained - so WATCH OUT !

I think that there is a huge difference in choosing to talk about something like your stillborn baby or a family member dying of cancer and being made to look after a robot baby when your heart still aches for your own baby! I would have been upset about her talking about the loss of her baby, but the issue here isn't that she was talking about it, it is that she was asked to particpate in something that would be upsetting to her when they knew about her circumstances. Of course it was on purpose, they have to do these controversial things in order to get people to watch. The last couple of years they have been getting into trouble for plying housemates with alcohol and letting them 'turkey slap' eachother, so this year they promised to tone down the nudity. So you have to swap one type of hook for another to keep up the ratings.

Totally agree Bailey - they are actually quite "smart" to get ratings - will do anything to get them - and at any cost. To be honest BB is a load of crap anyway - isn't it ?? Why do we watch it ?

*TamaraP* Guest

I only just found this thread and found out through another thread in TV and Music.

I am appalled as to how they let this go to air. For ratings, yes I think so. Did they know what they were doing? Of course they did.
    I mean they purposely put a couple into the house in which one of the girls was in a previous relationship. The producers then proceeded to get in contact with her ex b/f whom applied for series 2. So to me, that shows the mentality of the produces of this sick show.
    If they are willing to mess with someones relationship to get ratings. Whats not to say they wouldn't do the same with Kate?
    Yes, she told the producers she had "fully" recovered. I tell my close friends that I am from my early m/c. Thats not to say that I won't break down at any minute. Anything can trigger a break down. And for the producers of this show, who even though they thought she was "fully recovered" to go ahead with such a cruel task to get ratings is low and wrong.

They plugged this all week. They used it the advantages of the viewers. I remember hearing the preview "after Kate reveals her saddest secret, will it bring the feuding house closer together?" - to me that is trying to get ratings.

I wonder what Gretel will say...

well said TamaraP. I couldn't have said it better. My daughter was stillborn exactly 6 months ago, and I feel like I have 'dealt' with the worst of it, but I still deal with it everyday and will for the rest of my life. Most days I am ok, but any little thing can make me sad. I cannot imagine how she must feel knowing that they tried to get her to do this task after knowing her circimstances. I thought the relationship triangle they did was bad enough, but this is just gross.

I don't think you need a degree in psychology to know that having a stillborn baby is one of the most traumatic things that can happen to you, and that it's not something you just forget about.

Any decent human being with a heart knows this, feels this instinctively.

To try to defend their actions by putting the "blame" back onto the girl makes it doubly disgusting.

I'm truly appalled by this, I haven't watched the show for years and this just confirms why.

Lynn your poem made me cry *hugs* did you write it? It's beautifully sad if that makes sense

I think what they did was disgusting, and to still air the episode shows they just wanted ratings. I hope karma kicks them up their greedy selfish hinneys!!

Flea - well said, thank you

CelticMoon - no I didn't write it but it felt so true and how I feel so it is very special to me. It was written by Pat Schwiebert. It is beautifully sad, but how a lot of mums to angel babies feel.

Well said Tamara and Cai.
    I must say that if people can't get how heartbreaking it is to have a child die then man we need some help in our society. This was a deliberate way to get a response and ratings and they used another persons pain for that.

It is disgraceful and solidifies all I feel about the whole BB thing.

I must say I feel angry typing this. I feel angry that people need to be educated before they can understand anothers pain.

GRRRRRRRRRR. for everyone. All of us have been touched by death or pain in some way. What makes us stand out is that we don't need it to be explained. We don't even need to experience it to *imagine* what it's like. WE cry for another, we have empathy.

The producers of BB just want the glory, the dollar and the ratings. *Enough said by me as I climb down from my soapbox*

BB producers were well aware of Kates history..she is a local here and her mum and dad were on the front page of the local paper, it makes me sick to think how they can take advantage of someones grief and make it into ratings.
    Kates mum emailed or phoned channel 10 and is hoping for compensation to be paid to the pre-eclampsia research fund, I hope it is.
    Bec

Ok I might cop some flack for this but this is how I feel.

OK... I first thought perhaps that the producers didn't know about Kate's baby. After reading this thread and realising they did, then I think it is disgusting to put her in the situation of having to look after a robot baby, notwithstanding the potential duty of care issues that may arise from the effect on Kate.

However, I am with Klee, in some ways it has made stillbirth a topic of discussion. I had people come up to me at work and ask me if it would be ok if they asked me questions about my baby because they had no idea about stillbirth and really just wanted to inform themselves.

Now don't get me wrong, the fact that the producers knew makes it reprehensible, but if it brings stillbirth into the social conscience, then perhaps women in the future who lose their babies, won't feel as alone as I did.

Just my opinion.

Spring

Hey Spring,
    While I agree that the issue of stillbirth should be out there and people will now know about it, I think it is a shame it had to be at Kate's suffering. I would hate to be in her situation and be the one that brings it to attention. But, on the other hand, I guess that if you go on a reality TV show, you must,nt mind the attention. I think that the whole way it was done with the task and the crying robot babies is just sad and horrible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast