... 41213141516 ...

thread: 10wks pg with twins need some advice

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Hi ladies,

I had another scan today and my cervix is now 8mm so alot shorter and I have been sitting here not sure how that happened. I had a growth scan as well but they said nothing much has changed they are growing which is the main thing but 1 is still bigger then the other. The doctor that did my ultrasound also said I may have 2 to 3 weeks left til the babies come hmmmm I guess thats better then them coming now. I might have GD my bloods came back high so I have an 2 hour test tomorrow but I guess if I have only 2 to 3 weeks left then they proberly wont be that strict with me ??????

I am stressing abit today I dont think my DH is coping at home without me I think he is putting on a brave face when he comes in, he has been snapping at me abit, telling me to keep looking for a house and to ring all the realestate up even though I have already we need to be out of or house by the 13 september I might have to ask for an extention for a couple of weeks just to give us some time. I know it must be hard for him working and looking after DD but its no bloody picnic in here either.

Anyway on a good note I got to go out for a burger and chips today after scan it was really nice im trying to get all the goodies in now before I go on a special diet.

Hope you ladies are doing great and resting up.

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

oh, Azz, I'm so sorry to hear about your cervix. Hang in there hon, we're thinking of you. You're nearly 28 weeks aren't you?? If you can hang on just a few more days things will be a much brighter scenario. Sending you tons and tons of love and sticky vibes.

I had an ultrasound today, and there were two concerning results. The level of amniotic fluid for twin one is too low, and twin 2's growth has tapered off, and they are now discordant. Hmmm. grrrr. arrrgh! am so sick of this!!!!

So I am to have daily CTG monitoring, and bi-weekly scans and they'll play it a bit by ear. Worst case scenario is that they will just need to take them out sooner rather than later, so I am prepared for that. I hope it doesn't come to that, so fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes all crossed.

Bella, I'm sorry I haven't answered your questions!! Here I go. It's totally normal for the bubs to flip around all over the place so you will feel kicks in different places. If you are worried about lack of movement, then find a quiet relaxing spot, do some deep breathing, put your hands on your tummy and just count the movements you feel in an hour. If you don't feel any (or very few) then call your dr. Better to be safe than sorry

In terms of weight, please don't count kgs!!! It's not what's important. What matters is that your babies are thriving - they are growing, their hearts are beating strongly, etc. Weight is not a good indicator of a healthy pregnancy. My ob doesn't even weigh me. Never has!

I've also been suffering from constipation - especially here in hospy (sorry if TMI). I have truly found the best thing to be at least one piece of fresh fruit per day, a glass of pear juice, and a prune or two with breakfast. It has totally fixed my problem, and tastes a hell of a lot better than metamucil!! But if you don't like those things, then, yeah, go to the chemist and ask. They'll point you in the right direction.

Apr 2008
    melbourne

Good morning lovely twin mummies to be!

Azza - Argg.... that damn cervix . I know it's little comfort but your in the right place and if the babies come in 2-3 weeks they will be ok will just need fattening up and monitoring for longer. As long as they are still growing thats the main thing - what sizes are they do you know? As for your DH it must be getting very hard for all of you - patience must be wearing thin - you are doing an amazing job and your job at the moment is to bake your babies. I admire your strength and your DH for coping so well considering you have DD to worry about as well. Give him time and maybe just the 2 of you could go down for a hot chocolate and have a good talk about how your both feeling? Take care and try not to worry things will resolve and stress is the last thing you need!

Jen - My gosh you two are having such a hard time - i think those babies really want out! You have done so well and are over 30weeks which is such a great acheivement. What sizes are your bubs? As for getting around to answering my questions... so don't concern yourself you have enough to do . I'm not worrying to much about the weight i just want healthy happy bubs stuff what i got through to get them!!!!

AFM - seems rather silly to give you an update of myself with what you are both going through but they are moving heaps - i think they just had some down time after my gastro. I have been getting quite puffy if i'm up and about for to long so i now do little things with rest/feet up breaks inbetween! We have scan and appt on Friday so really looking forward to that.

Take care both of you and remember - you are both amazing and i'm for you!
    xxBella

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Hi Ladies,

Jenc I know how you feel its a never ending story but we are both in a good place imagine if we were at home and all this was going on not sure about you but I would like to be closely monitored, AND I know it is not for ever even though it feels like an eternity.

Bella I love hearing how you are going please keep updating us. As for the sizes Im not sure they normally give me a summary to give to my OB but they didn't this time because they were going to ring her straight after. oooh I can hear a baby crying poor little thing. Thanks for the kind words I think I might have to sit my DH down and ask him how he is coping really. Good luck with your scan on Friday let us know how you go is it a growth scan?

AFM I couldn't do GD test today as they forgot to tell me to fast so I can pig out today hmmmm on hossy food.

Take care lovely ladies

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Hey Azz, I meant to say before about your house hunting - are you looking for a rental? If so, I am pretty sure there are people out there who 'house hunt' as a job. They do all the inspections, create a shortlist for you, and then you pick from there. I am pretty sure a lot of them work out their pay with the real estate, so I don't think it costs the client much - maybe a week's rent or something?? That might help ease the pressure???

I imagine your DH probably is feeling stressed, and I agree with Bell - sit down and have a nice long calm chat. It can only help. I know your family is interstate, but what about his? or do you have a good friend who could help out with stuff around the house??

I'm thinking of you

jenxx

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

hi girls

quick update from me. I just saw my ob, and he isn't going to let me out of here. the issues with the twins (the low fluid with one, and the reduced growth with the other) are concerning, so they need to keep a close watch on their well-being, which can't be done if I'm not here.

so baby shower in hospital it's going to be for me!!! how funny

he also said that at this stage, the benefits of them incubating inside me still outweigh the risks of prematurity, but from next week, things start to even out, and at 34 weeks they're likely to develop better out than in.... so.... that means that in 2 weeks I'm probably going to have two tiny little ones.

I am in shock, scared, excited, relieved, all at once. does that make sense????

thinking of you

jenx

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Oooh whaoo Jenc its seems to be going really quick for you now and yes it does make sence. We are always talking about keeping them in as long as we can and now you have a time line it all seems so real.
    Quick question what are the complication of twins having growth restriction I only ask because they seem to think that is what I have to. I have done alot of research on TTTS but they say the twins don't have that.
    I think thats great having the baby shower in the hospital it will make the time go quicker and give you something to do, do you have your own room. When is it mght popin for a cupper

Another question have you been getting a lot of braxton hicks some low kick I mean really low like their foot is going to pop out

I came across a website that look for rentals and it looks like a good idea not sure how much but I will look in to it. I also got in touch with a my realestate agent and she said it wont be a problem to extend for a couple of weeks if we need it so that has taken alot of pressure off my poor DH and she may have a house we can look at soon its a 4 bedroom with a big back and front yard, she said we can just transfer everything over if we like it.

AFM Had my glucose test today I was soooo hungry when it was over I had to fast for 12 hours and the test took 2 hours then my breakie came 45 min after that don't they know I have 2 babies im tryig to fatten up.

Bella I love these smiley faces
    :

Look after yourselves and those little buddles
    Last edited by azzrenae; August 26th, 2009 at 12:03 PM.

Apr 2008
    melbourne

Jen that sounds like a plan!!!! I'm glad you finally can see the light at the end - ooooohhhh i can't wait till i can meet my 2 boys! Having a baby shower in the hospital sounds like a fab idea - am i invited to

Azz the house sounds great hope it's as good as it sounds! GL with your GT test results.

AFM - today i am organising all of DH clothes etc to take away - did i mention he is off to Thailand for 2 whole weeks leaving Friday I am going to miss him so much and am just hard that all is good with our checkup on Friday morning before he leaves as he is so worried about leaving me so it would be nice to send him with a little peace of mind! I'm off to share my time between mums and a girlfriends place who both promise to look after me!!! My sister is taking me for mannicure/facial/pedicure on Sat which will be so nice.

Take care girls.

xxBella

Jun 2009
    N.S.W

Hi ladies, i've been reading thru your posts and i wish each and everyone of you all the very best for your pregnancies. I hope it all works out well and there are lots of happy healthy lil bubba's born

I am new to this myself, and just thought i would say hi.

My husband and i just underwent a round of ICSI, and concieved on the first attempt. They only transfered one embryo, but it decided to split resulting in a twin pregnancy. We were both very shocked to find this out on our 7.5week scan.

Both babies measured within normal range and had good h/b at 160 and 169.

I am now just under 11 weeks preg and have my first hospital appointment this coming friday.

We are very anxious to have our next scan in two weeks because about a week or so ago i had some very bad cramping and when i went to the bathroom there was pink discharge, and also a bit of brown the second time i went.i was told this could be due to vanishing twin syndrome? So it's a waiting game for us atm.

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Hi Bella I hope your scan goes well on friday before your hubby goes to Thailand oooh think of the cool pressies I hope those 2 weeks go quick for you both. What a great Idea having a girls day out with our sister I wish they offered that in hospital I could do with a girls day. I need a good eyebrow wax.

Springvalley Yah another twin mummy congraulations. I to had brown discharge that lasted 2 days I think I was 5 weeks and had no idea I was carrying twins. The nurses had told me if it was brown its just old blood. Try not to worry I know its easier said then done. The first 12 weeks is a big waiting game but your are nearly there please keep us posted about your scan. Ask as much questons as you like we are here if you need.

Apr 2008
    melbourne

Hi ladies,

Just a quick update from me.... Scan was great today, it seems twin 2 may be catching up a little - still smaller but only about 10%, good fluid levels and bp was down so very happy. 2weeks repeat scan and ob appt + some blood and urine tests.

Hope you are all well and all the bubs are behaving themselves!!!!

Rest up and i will check in later or in the morning.

xxBella

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

this silly wireless connection in hospy is driving me mental! I wrote a post yesterday and didn't even realise it didn't work until I just visited here now!

Glad your scan went well Bella. All sounding very good!

Welcome Springvalley!! Good luck with your scan, and please let us know how you go. I remember worrying myself sick about 'vanishing twin' syndrome, so I know how you're feeling. I wish you all the very best

AFM, well had a reassuring doppler ultrasound - blood flow through the cords is good, so that hopefully means the placentas are all aok. And, get this - the amniotic fluid for twin 1 had replenished itself!!!!! Amazing. And such a relief.

So I will keep having regular doppler and growth scans to check that this positive development is a trend. Then I might be out of the woods!!

I stopped taking nifedipine last night because it was making me really itchy. But unfortunately my contractions came back with a vengeance. Stupid irritable uterus. So I'm back on. They said it's safest, especially with so many things going on at once.

Have also had a blood test for obstretric choleostasis (??) which is apparently characterised my itchy palms and soles of feet. But i'm sure (I hope!) it's not that, and is just a side effect of the drugs.

anyhow, will keep you all posted. have a lovely weekend everyone!!!

jenxx

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Thats great Bella your scan went well before your DH went to thailand. I hope your day out with your sister was fun.

Jenc whaooo replenished fluid that fantastic I was thinking maybe you could go home until read the uterus thing. The bedrest thing might be helping.

AFM I am doing well and so are the boys not much to report. oooh The 4 bedroom house I was telling you about was not nice so we will keep house hunting for now and see how we go.

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Good morning ladies

Azz - poo about the house! I am hoping you find something just perfect really soon.

I just got a text from my friend who is also having twins - she is 3 days ahead of me and our c-sections are scheduled for the same day. Well, she just had her little girls!!!!!!!!! At just on 33 weeks. She was up here visiting me on Thurs after work. She wasn't due to finish work until this Friday. I have no idea of the circumstances surrounding the birth of her little ones, but i will post when I get the chance to speak with her. Her babies are perfect and good sizes.

Just thought you might like to hear some good news

Jenxx

Apr 2008
    melbourne

Jen - that's fantastic news - it must reassure you a little! How are you travelling any further developments or plans?

Azz - shame about the house but i'm sure the perfect one is just around the corner - excuse the pun! How are you travelling - hope your cervix is behaving!!

Hi to everyone else.

AFM - just staying at mums ATM. Going out for lunch with a girlfriend today. Boys are kicking up a storm. I'm missing my DH so much - he is having fun - lucky him! No real news.

Stay safe girls.......

xxBella

Mar 2009

Hey girls,

I popped in here a few times back in June and met everyone, and then things got so busy with work and extreme tiredness!! I've been trying to find time to pop back in and get an update on how everyone is. Today I've sat down and caught up on the past few months of this thread. Some difficult times for you guys, Azz and Jen especially, but so great that the babies are all still in and growing!

As for me, I'm 35 weeks today! I'm off work and have had a couple of weeks to get myself organised and a bit settled, so I'm going to force myself to take it all a bit more easy from here on. Before I know it I'll have my little girls!! My OB reckons I'll make it to 38 weeks and wants to induce then - on the 21st - if I do. 38 weeks seemed like such an impossible goal a few months ago but now it's really looking possible!

I've been really lucky over the past few months. No major scares - some little ones but they always seems to resolve themselves by the next week. Growth discordance of about 30% seems to be a stayer for me, but both girls are growing on their own path and I have fortnightly scans which ease my mind.

I've joined the multiple birth association and me and hubby went to a function of the local branch on Sat night - that was really nice, to meet other twin mums and especially hear the stories of people with different age twins. I've also joined the ABA and am trying to go to a few meetings before the girls come so that I can meet some people who will be able to provide support with breastfeeding.

Anyway, apologies for the essay. I'll try to pop in more often over the next few weeks now that I'm not working.

xx

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Hi Argon
    Good to hear from you!
    I have a question about the growth discordance: what has your ob said about it? Are they regularly checking your cord flow? I am having the same thing at the moment and my ob seems to be saying to me that if my little one keeps up this slow rate of growth that he'll have to deliver them at 34 wks.
    Is your little one still growing at a steady rate, but just smaller than the big one? I think with my little one, he has always been smaller, but now his growth has tailed off and he is at the 5th percentile or so.
    I am a bit stressed about it, because I'm not sure I entirely understand what's going on
    Hello to all you other lovelies
    Jenx

Mar 2009

Hi Jen,

My OB has me on fortnightly scans and she seems to pay the most attention to the percentiles, and how much weight each has put on since the last scan. She doesn't seem to pay too much attention to the cord flow, or to the percentage difference between the two.

We've been lucky in that my little one has never fallen below the 10th percentile, although she has hovered around there for months. Also, the growth has been consistent, just slower than the other twin.

My OB has said that if she went down to the 5th percentile, or if her growth slows way down, then she'd want to think about delivering, especially since they are now both big enough to survive.

Sounds like your OB is taking a similar approach. Hopefully it won't come to that, but if he does recommend delivery at 34 weeks, your little boys will be pretty well cooked and I'm sure it would be for the best.

Sending lots of positive vibes your way!!

Argon

... 41213141516 ...