... 3456715 ...

thread: 10wks pg with twins need some advice

Jul 2007
    Sydney - Inner West

Hi Ladies,

Kezza I hear you on the looking forward to sleeping on stomach again. I am having such difficulty sleeping. Can only sleep for 2 hours at a time as can only sleep in one position. Had a nap this arvo and it was bliss but now cant sleep ... went to bed an hour ago but bed feels overheated cause DH sprawled himself all over it and he's snoring. So decided to get up and sit on lounge and jump online. I'll probably get to sleep in wee hours and then probably sleep best when DH gets up at 6am to get ready for work!

Jenc hope your tailbone pain subsides, but defintely mention it to your OB. Sometimes we try to be too brave. I have been suffering in silence for over a week with really bad fluid retention ... its so bad i can hardly bend my legs and i feel like i have 2 stuffed tennis balls in my inner thighs and makes it uncomfortable to walk. Got jack of it by Monday and called the clinic. They told me to ring the delivery suite straight away. felt so guilty for not calling sooner. Anyway in a mad dash we went to hospital and they checked my BP to rule out pre-enclampsia. Thankfully all ok. Was there for about an hour or so under observation and they hooked me up to CTG machine and bubs were doing well. Gosh the 5th of June cant come soon enough ... this final stretch is REALLY HARD!!!!
    Jen how exciting re your scan tomorrow. I remember it being one of the most exciting days ... cant wait to hear!!!

Azzranae glad to hear your sciatica pain s a bit better. They joys of twin pregnancy ehh! I wish I could say it gets easier. Here I was daydreaming about mat leave before babies coming as a time I would go shopping, lunching and to the movies ... well nada ... am housebound and every little thing I do is so exhausting! Oh well a little patience!!!
    I am sure it will be more than worth it in the end.

Mon

Jan 2009
    Tasmania

Oh Mon not long for you now! I'm so excited for you can't wait to hear all about it after the births. That is if you have the time to write about it of course!! Are they head down? Will you be going naturally or are you booked in for a c sec?

Jen- How did the scan go?

AFM- I had obst app yesterday all good, but he wanted me to up my iron dosage as mine are pretty low. Today I had the last of my antenatal classes, we had a lactation consultant talk to us about breast feeding, it was very informative and enlightened me on a few things I was unaware of. Also we had a representative from the AMBA, her twins are now 13 and she gave us some great tips on how to pick up your second baby when you are holding the other one. Would you believe that you pick them up by the scruff of the neck?! I was astonished, but she said it only works with all in one suits with a collar. She also said when they get older dungarees or overalls as she called them were great for grabbing one in each hand! ha ha ha It made me chuckle, but hey if it makes like easier I'm all for it! We also got shown around the NCIU think that's what it's called the special care unit for premmies, it was really good to see it. It won't be such a shock now if god forbid my twins end up in there. They had a wall of inspiring photo's of premmies, tiny tiny bubs born at like 26 weeks and how they have grown into healthy kids afterwards. It was totally amazing and I even had a tear in my eye looking at all the premmies in special care. It's so amazing what science has achieved for these prem bubs. I bought one of those exercise balls today to see if it will help with my back as I'm getting lots of back pain. I will let you know how I get on with it.

Take care with your precious cargo ladies

Jul 2007
    Sydney - Inner West

Hi Kezza ...am booked in for c/s next Friday - cant wait! Both bubbas are in breech position so no chance of natural birth. i am fine with that though as long as they are born healthy! Will definitely update you once I get a chance!!!

Glad to hear your antenatal class went well. i also went and saw the NICU when went into early labor and was admitted into hosp. It is reassuring and amazing what modern technology can do, yet so heartbreaking to see these little babies fighting for their lives! So resilient babies.

Well am counting down the days. Went to OB yest and found out my Prof has to have surgery on Sat for heart problems so unfortunately wont be around for my c/s and another Dr will be looking after us. He seems nice enough so am not worried ... was just a long wait yesterday - almost 3 hours as they had to shuffle appts around. i go in for last appt on Thurs and have a full BT and then am given schedule for Fri morning and Dr told me he will schedule me in for first time slot Fri morning. So relieved, would be nothing worse than having to wait all day!

Mon

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

OMG Mon next Friday I can't wait to hear your news, have you packed your bags yet? Your nearly there. You can sleep on your tummy soon.

Kezza you are making me excited I can't wait to get to your stage so I get to find out all that stuff. I didn't know you could pick up your babies like that how funny.

AFM I started to get headaches again I went for a head and neck massage today it was nice I haven't had a headache yet so hopefully that does the trick. My tummy has been feeling achy lately most of the time its in the morning when I get up. Its a bit hard to relax when you have 20 mth old to run around after. I pick her up without thinking about it and then think should I be picking her up maybe my body is telling me to be careful?

Hi Bella, Jenc

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Hi everyone

Sorry I've been slow to post - site was down and I've had some pelvic pain problems that I think are now getting sorted.

So, my news...! We're expecting two healthy perfect little boys!!!!!

It was so lovely to see them, and more importantly, a relief to know that everything is ok.

Mon - so close!!!! How exciting!!!! Thinking of you lots as your time gets closer.

KB - were you feeling the effects of low iron?? I've heard the 'scruff of the neck' trick too, but I didn't believe!!! I suppose though, if you're home alone, and feeding both at once, there has to be some way to pick them up one-handed!!! Who'd have thought?? Not long for you either! I hope you hold your little ones in as long as possible, but you must be getting yourself ready for an 'any day' scenario.

Bella - how are you going??

Hi to everyone else.

Have a lovely weekend all

Jen

Jan 2009
    Tasmania

Jen that is fantastic news!!! Congratulations!! How did you feel, were you overwhelmed and emotional? I know I was when I found out we were having girls.

Oh yes I am counting down the days and weeks now, can't wait to meet them and get my body back to some sort of normality. I've had my hospital bag packed since week 26, I've just been so nervous of them coming early as you do hear lots of horror stories of twins coming too early. Yes I have been feeling very tired, which I guess is due to low iron levels, last week I think I went to bed by 9.30pm almost every night. Now I'm on iron supplements I am making it to 10.30! Yay!!! lol

Azz- Gosh I feel for you having a 20 month old to take care of, I can't imagine how you're gonna feel when you get to the 3rd trimester, I know I'm finding things really hard. I hope you've got plenty of support and people to help out.

Sep 2006

Hi twin mummies and twin mummies to be...

I am a twin mummy..My girls are fraternal and will be 3 in August..I am also 38 weeks pregnant with a singleton this time..I cant believe how much movement can be felt from having just one baby..

I got to 36 weeks and 4 days, my labout started on it's own and I had a vaginal birth..The girls were born 19 minutes apart...I had preEclampsia very late in my pregnancy and my BP stayed high for 6 months after, so breastfeeding was not pleasureable for me..I did express my milk and the girls had that along with formula until 12 weeks when they were solely formula fed..I did beat myself up over this but I can honestly say my girls are so very healthy and rarely sick..This baby I would love to breastfeed, but if I can't I will not be worried about formula feeding..

It's funny you guys commenting on your belly sizes...When I saw my OB at 28 weeks with the twins she told me I was the size of a woman full term with a singleton..Wow!!!!

I was a retail manager when I was pregnant with the girls and finished up work at 30 weeks..My biggest piece of advice is to rest as much as you can before they arrive, I Didn't realise how lucky I was being pregnant first up with twins, as I have no time to rest now with this baby chasing after the girls...

I found the best books to read was Twins by Katrina Bowman and Louise Ryan..

It's hard work being the mother of twins but sooooo special...I found the attention when out a bit too much for the first year but now I love when people recognise that my girls are twins and ask questions..

Good luck to you all and I look forward to your birth announcements on BB in the near future!!!

Jan 2009
    Tasmania

Pansy thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Every bit of advice is welcome for us newby twin to be mums!

I agree with the breast feeding issue, I expressed for only two weeks for my son, he was on formula until the age of 12 months then he went onto cows milk. He is so healthy and is hardly ever sick, never had antibiotics in his life, he is now 5 so I won't be fretting over the issue either. Although it would be nice to breastfeed purely from a convenient point of view, ie food on tap and free!

I went into my local Woolies the other day and asked why they didn't have any twin baby trolleys, and they had better get one in for me otherwise I'll have to shop at coles who have twin trolleys! lol They were falling over themselves and said they'd get one in.

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Hi Pansy thanks for popping in as Kezzabird said any advice would be great. I am hoping to BF but am not going to stress over it to much. I bottled feed my DD for 2 months and so is perfectly fine. I did try nearly everyhting but she was losing to much weight I don't think I would have that much time to try things with my DD running around.
    I would also like to have a natural birth but it s not up to us is it

Kezzabird My mum is coming from interstate to help for a couple of weeks and have DH family about a hour away not sure if they would be able to help as they are farmers. I have a couple of friends close by that have offered to help out.
    Good on you for asking for twin trollies ha I would have like to see there faces when you said that

Apr 2008
    melbourne

Hello lovely ladies!

Sorry have been MIA for the past week or so - have been sooooo crazy at work - unfortunately i got to the point on Friday that i allowed myself to get so worked up - worked 12hours, began having bad lower abdo pain/cramping, cried 3 times - by the time i got home i was dry wretching i had got so tired. So needless to say yesterday i vomited after my b'fast (first time) and spent the whole day in bed - i was so angry i had let myself get to that state - what an iddiot ! But i have learnt my lesson and after i handover to my boss tom (she is back from holidays) i have a week off to relax and do nothing!

I have decided i am going to stop work at 24weeks - given the physical and mental demands of my job i think this is best for me, soooo 12.5 weeks to go yay!!! today I plan to stay in my PJ's and watch trashy movies on foxtell!

So wow Jen twin boys - you must be so excited - my husband is convinced we are having twin boys - not sure if it's just wishful thinking - men!!!

Mon - wow 5 more sleeps! Wishing you all the best - can't wait to hear all about it.

Pansy - so great to read your story - please continue to offer advice i know i need it!

Kezz - good on you for asking about the trolley - i'm going to invesigate my shop!

Azzrenae - god you must be a saint running after a 20month old - i am struggling to keep up with myself! Has your tiredness improved now your in the 2nd trimester?

Hello to all the other lovely ladies!

Well i am officially 11weeks 3days today! Have first ob appt at the multiple birth clinic at RWH on Friday and 9 more sleeps til our 12 week scan!
    We have been spring cleaning out our spare rooms the soon to be nursery should be empty soon - a blank canvas!

Anyway must get back to trashy TV! Take care twin mummies and mummies to be!
    I need to be taking my own advice!!

xxxBella

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Hi twin mummies,

Bella I hope work slows down for you 10 hours a day is crazy. relax relax relax

Mon 3 more sleeps

AFM I had my OB appointment today with not very good news, 1 of my twins test came back with a increased rised of down syndrome it is the bigger one of the two. My OB said that 1 identical twin can't have an increase and the other not, so she wants me to have another scan tomorrow to double check it she also said if the bigger one does have a lot more fluid then it may have some heart problems due to it pumping to much fluid around but said to wait and see what the ultrasound says tomorrow. They are now 7 days apart which she said she will have to monitor she didn't seem to worried. I did get to hear their heart beat today which was cool. I don't feel to worried at the moment but am glad I am having a scan tomorrow and I don't have to wait otherwise I maybe a nervous reck at the end of the week

Jan 2009
    Tasmania

Hey Azz how did your scan go today?

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Red face

Hey kezza,
    They seem to think it is TTTS hench why 1 is bigger then the other but they don't want to rule out down's so have suggested an amniocentesis. They have said it is up to us weather or not to do it. Im not sure what to do my husband want me to do it because they are twins I think I might do it due to piece of mind I will have to give my answer soon by 16wks. I will have to do a scan every 2 weeks for the TTTS, I have been reading up on TTTS and know alot more about it which is good and bad. I am trying to stay positive at the moment, I did get to see them today and they were moving around alot that was great to see and easied my nervous abit.
    It all a big waiting game now.

Jan 2009
    Tasmania

Oh dear sorry to hear that Azz, I was asked that very same question what if they both had downs. My reply was if it was only one baby, I'd still have it no matter. But when you have twins plus an older child to consider, it's a gut wrenching decision, and I really hope it's a decision that you will NOT have to make. I'm keeping everything crossed for you, you must be going through hell at the moment. I think it's probably best to try and stay positive it may all come to nothing. My friend was told that she had a 95% chance that her baby was going to be downs, he turned out perfectly fine. He is now a thriving 5 year old, so a lot of these tests do turn out to be nothing at all. Thinking of you Azz and make sure you come back and let us know how things are going.

Jul 2007
    Sydney - Inner West

Hi Gals,

Just wanted to pop in and wish you all the best as will probably be out of action for a little while. We are going in tomorrow at 9am and have scheduled c/s for around midday. Look out for BA as one of my BB buddies will be posting for me. I am so excited and anxious and it still doesnt feel real all at the same time!

Azz - I hope you get some answers and positive news. What a tough thing to be going through. Think positive and I hope that your twinnies are strong and you will get through it.

Bella - know how tough it is when work is busy. Make sure you do take time to rest and my best piece of advice if your work situation is stressful is that you seriously consider winding down 3 months before you are due. I thought i could work until 6wks prior and then had pre term labour scare 8 weeks prior and was forced to finish work on the spot - no time for proper handover or farewell.

Pansy - thanks for sharing your story. So cant wait to be a twin mummy!

Kezza - know how you feel at the stage you are at. Every day i was like how am I going to cope! It does get harder the bigger you are, but its good to be prepared in the event you do go into early labour. My motto was if i have to suffer I will put up with it as long as the babies stay inside of me baking for as long as possible! You are on the home stretch!!!

Jenc - congrats - 2 little boys that is fantastic!

Well wishing you ladies all the best
    Mon xx

Jan 2009
    Tasmania

Mon GOOD LUCK!!!!!! Oh my you're gonna be meeting you're bubba's soon, how exciting!! All the best to you and your family.

barney Guest

GOOD LUCK TODAY MON AND DH I HOPE YOUR BOTH HAVING CUDDLES RITE NOW
    im so very proud of you mon hun you have come sooo far .xxoo

best of luck to all you beautiful twin mummys

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Good Luck Mon give those little babies a big hug from all of us.

... 3456715 ...