... 5678917 ...

thread: 10wks pg with twins need some advice

Jun 2009
    WA

Smile

This twin thread is very quite I thought I would start a new thread.

This is my second assisted pregnancy I have a 19 month old daughter and now am pg with twins thanks to IVF I had 1 egg put back in and they decided to split so they are more likely to be Identical. Big shock but I had a feeling something was different, I was feeling very very tired, dizzy and abit sickie so early in the pregnancy then we saw 2 babies and 2 Heart beats 1 was 175 and the other was 158 1 was a day behind not sure if that is normal but the nurse said it was ok. I don't know much about twin pregnancies except it is a high risk. As you know I am 10 wks now and my symptoms have almost gone my DH keep saying to me stop stressing haha can't help it I am taking blackmores gold so I think they may have helped. I have my first OB appointment on the 5th of May and am hung out for it so I can hear the little heart beats my OB is on holidays thats why I have to wait so long to see her arrrrrh.
    Does anyone have any good books to recomend and any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Firstly, congratulations on your twin pregnancy.
    Do remember to take your iron tabs and folic acid...calcium tabs if you need it.
    ID twins are high risk if it shares a placenta or placenta and the amniotic sac...
    I haven't bought or borrowed any books on twin pregnancies, many have read up articles on the net.

Since we found out we were expecting ID twins (even when DH has had the snip...!) we have been reading up a lot on twin pregnancies...

Here are some sites that might help you be more prepared and have a clearer picture of this wonderful miracle that has bestowed upon you.

Positions Of Twins In The Womb
    Multiple pregnancy.? Explanation of cellular division in twins.
    Multiple Pregnancy - Twins, Triplets, Quadruplets and more
    TOPS: Twins and Multiple Birth PREGNANCY
    Pregnancy Weight Gain - How much weight should you gain in pregnancy?

I hope the sites help...

Oh, I know you'll get anxious before a scan or before a check up, but it'll be ok, even if the doctor can't find one of the baby's heartbeat or if it's kinda faint...it happened to me and I can't wait for next week for my scan 20 week scan.

Have fun reading...congrates again!
    Last edited by hobbes5; June 16th, 2009 at 03:40 PM. : adding signature

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Hi Ladies,
    I got my FISH results back yesterday and everything is fine We are also having BOYS we are both really wrapped. I feel like a hugh weight has been lefted off my shoulders. I still need to be scan every 2 weeks for TTTS but we can get that treated if need be. Thanks for all your support.

Jun 2009
    WA

Hi Ladies,
    I got my FISH results back yesterday and everything is fine We are also having BOYS we are both really wrapped. I feel like a hugh weight has been lefted off my shoulders. I still need to be scan every 2 weeks for TTTS but we can get that treated if need be. Thanks for all your support.
    Hey Azz

Glad to hear everything is going well and congratulations on the boys!

I have a review scan tomorrow and the sonographer wants to check on the twins hearts and spines...I feel kicks but cant be sure if 2 is doing it or just one...scans are good because you can see the babies and their hearts beating.

cheers, el

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Hi Hobb for some reason I didn't see your first post. I will check out those websites thanks. I can feel little bubble like movements main in my lower part of my tummy. Being pregnant with twins is like a big rollercoaster ride there are many highs and many lows so I just take each day as it comes, I fully trust my OB as she delivered my DD I do what ever she tells me to do with the twins I don't care how many scans I have to do just as long as they are growing and healthy.

I hope your pregnancy hasn't cause you to much trouble and it has been going smoothly for you and it nice to see another twin mummy to be in here

Jan 2009
    Tasmania

A big fat YAY!!!!! for you Azz That's brill news

And a big fat welcome to Hobbes

Sorry I have fat on the brain probably because that's how I feel! I wouldn't worry too much about the calcium too much by the time you get to around 25 weeks you will be on a diet of Tums anyway for heartburn which are rich in calcium. I've lost count how many packets I've gone through and still going strong! Now when I lay down to go to bed I also get reflux, I am having to sleep in an up right position to prevent this. Agreed on the iron tablets though, they are important in the first trimester and the third trimester, but I wouldn't worry too much about the 2nd trimester, just ensure you make a conscious effort to eat iron rich foods, otherwise you could end up constipated which can lead to piles or varicose veins in places you don't really want them!
    I awoke to a nice dose of diarrhea this morning, really bad. I was a bit concerned for the bubs so I phoned the hosp. The midwife told me to sit on my butt and drink water and to do nothing all day! It was my sons first day back at school after the hols and I had planned on blitzing the house as it is in a terrible mess. I couldn't believe it!! The midwife was concerned that it could be an sign of pre mature labour, so hence the rest. I am feeling ok, back ache aside etc. So hopefully I'll be ok for tomorrow.

Apr 2008
    melbourne

Just cooking but wanted to drop in and say......

Azz - congrats! yay so excited for you i can't wait to find out the sex of ours! You must be so relieved. xx

Kezza - when reading your post i immediately thought about labour coming soon for you - i bet you won't be long rest up just incase!!

xxBella

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Thanks Guys,

Arrrrrh Kazza rest, rest, rest I thought diarrhea sounds of early labour. keep your legs crossed take care of your self. Keep us posted.

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Hi ladies

Congrats on your boys Azz! I've been going a bit nuts buying stuff since I found out ours were blue... And I'm glad all is ok too - have been thinking of you.

Hey Bella -how are you going?

Kezz - sit tight! Hope you can keep those little ones inside for as long as poss! Rest rest rest!!!

Hi Hobbes - nice to see you in here. Are these twins really your 6th and 7th bubs?? wow. That is astonishing. And amazing. Congratulations.

I can't stay long I'm afraid. Pelvis is still being a pain in the butt (literally, as well as figuratively) and am at the end of my tolerance for sitting down.

Hope you're all well, and I hope to be back properly soon.

Jenxx

Jun 2009
    WA

Unhappy

Thanx for the nice welcome girls!

Jen - Yes, twins are my 6th and 7th bubs...mad ain't I...I think so especially when I have to clean and carry Andrew (1) and Olivia (2) is hanging off me and DH is having a migraine and can't take the babies noise and 2 teenage kids fighting with the 8 year old...hanky dorie for me!

Azz - Totally agree with the lots of scans and so forth ordered by the OB...I think having twins and having lots of scans is like a security blanket for the mummies...

Kezz - totally agree on the iron tabs...if we remember to take them! In the beginning was easy...then it gets harder to remember things. Ummm, agree on the back pains, but you'll soon be feeling better once you have your bubs...maybe for now lying on your left side might help...kinda helped me especially if there's a nice pillow/cushion propped up behind...bliss.

Bella - Hi there!

Good to meet you all...

MBP_Mum Guest

Hobbes, my twins where 3 & 4, then #5 arriving not 2 years later. I am also in WA.
    I tried to PM you but you don't have PM access. Feel free to PM me or email me
    [email protected]
    Good luck with bub's

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Mornin ladies,

Kezza how you feeling?

Had another scan yesterday and they are abit worried about the fluid in the smaller twins sac so have to go back next tuesday to check it again the Doctor said that TTTS can come quite quickly she is hoping that it will settle down but im not so sure because everytime I get a scan the fluid looks like it is getting less and less. Im seeing my OB today so hopefully she can shead some light on the situation.
    We were going to head up to Darwin for a week next week to see the Inlaws but not so sure now, I was so looking forward to the weather up there as it is freezing down here in Adelaide also a change of scenary would be lovely.

Thanks Jen I haven't brought anything as yet but am so tempted I think I will try and hold off til im 25 wks and then I will go nuts there is some great stuff on ebay at the moment and Kmart toy sale coming up might start on chrissy shopping as im not sur I will be up to it when the time comes. Hope your going well and those boys are behaving theirselves hope there is plenty of kick for you

Hobb how did your scan go?

Hi Bella how are you travelling?

Jan 2009
    Tasmania

Hello ladies

I'm still hanging in there, got an obst app tomorrow and another scan on friday. So maybe they could tell me when I'm likely to have these wee girlies. It's just so difficult when you reach this stage ladies, I'm finding things particularly difficult as I have no family around me other half goes out to work at 6.30am and comes home around 6pm, so I have to try and struggle on with everything. By the evening I can hardly walk and my ankles swell up, at night I am finding it very difficult to move in bed and also breath!! I'm hoping the doc will suggest they come before 38 weeks because I just don't think I can take anymore, before it was a physical challenge, now it's affecting me mentally, I just feel so down and depressed at the moment. For a person of my size, a petite 5'2" tall I think reaching 35 weeks with twins has to be some sort of achievement! Oh well I guess we shall see what the good doctor says.

Azz I really hope the TTTS calms down for you, or that they can intervene and put things right if not.

OMG for Hobbes and MBP mum!!! It must be like the Waltons round your houses!! Good night Jim Bob! Well all I can say is I hope you have plenty of support around you, I really don't know how you cope.

Jen I hope the back settles soon for you, babes are gonna getter heavier and put more pressure on it as time goes on.

Bella I hope you're not working too hard! Pop in and let us know how you are doing.

Jun 2009
    WA

Hi Ladies!

Kezza - Hmmm, certainly not easy with so many kids...although it's okay when the older kids are at school more of a battle during the school hols though. But all is good once everyone gets along with everyone... I know it does DH's head in, but he loves them (even the 3 older from me).

I hope you can have bubs soon...pretty hard on your body right now, maybe your doc will induce you soon. Rest your feet up or soak in warm salty water every night before bed...might need DH to help with that though...I hope everything turns out well for you kez.

Azz - hope everything goes well for you... your doc will fix this for you, it'll be okay.

My scan went well, thanx for asking. Will be seeing the doc on the 3 July, i can feel kicks (mainly the right side) and bubs likes listening to the music which I put them through whenever I can.

MBP - Hi there! I'm very new here, probably why I don't have the PM available to me yet, thanx for your email add, will keep in touch. I live in Gero...rain and windy right now. Where abouts in WA are you?

cheers all...xx

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Hi Ladies

I had my OB appt yesterday and she said the babies are doing great just the fliud thing which she doesn't seem to worried about It. She measured my tummy and I am measuring at 26 weeks and I am only 18 and a half weeks I couldn't believe it she said hello you have 2 babies in there we started to laugh. I honestly cant imagine being 30 weeks and past I really feel for you Kezza your poor little body being stretched to its limits I hope your OB can help you get more comfortable or get those little princess out keep you chin up its nearly over. Get you hubby to massage your legs but if he is anything like my hubby then I wouldn't go there
    My OB also said she doesn't see any reason why I can't go to Darwin Its only going to be a week, if they need me to do more scan then I will be back in time so I can't wait bring to the warm weather.

Hobbes that great your scan went well I can feel movements from my belly button down but its all over the place.

MBP_Mum Guest

Hobbes ~ I am in Mandurah, wet and windy here to at the moment.

azzrenae ~ Great to hear all is well, and bubs are going so well. Hope to see you over at the other place.
    Last edited by MBP_Mum; June 24th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.

Jan 2009
    Tasmania

Azz that is really good news

My obst gave no indication of letting me go early, he just gave me the nod and said I'll see you in 2 weeks!!! Bloody hell that will take me to 37 weeks Everything is ticking along nicely Blood pressure is ok and both are head down, which is great news. I also spoke to the senior midwife and we discussed things like contraception and support after the bubs are born etc. She also said that considering the size of the bubs and the size of me, she thinks it won't be long now. I hope she is right I have another scan on friday, so it will be interesting to see how much they have grown in the last two weeks if at all. I can't believe I have come this far, I really thought they'd be here by now.

Mar 2009

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I'm 25+ weeks with identical girls, my first (and pssibly last!!!)babies. Things have been pretty good so far, all told.

I have a cold this week and it's making me very grumpy to deal with that while pregnant. I have no stomach muscles left and when I cough it hurts my stomach! But my OB says it sounds muscular, nothing to worry about. Otherwise, I really can't complain. I feel pretty good.

Azz - I'm not too far ahead of you, and have had a bit of a similar roller coaster to you. We had a high NT for one twin at 12 weeks, and they were measuring a week apart. The doctor told us it could be chromosomal, or it could be heart problems in the smaller twins, or it could be TTTS. We ended up doing a CVS which ruled out chromosomal problems, thank goodness. Our 20 week scan showed the 4 chambers of the heart and everything seems fine there too.

As for TTTS, I've been having fortnightly scans since 12 weeks (which is nice because I get to see my little girls so often!!) to monitor the situation, and all seems ok, fingers crossed. The girls are still one week apart, but they are both growing and they are both within the normal range for their gestation. Make sure you ask about the fluid levels in the sacs and whether they can see the bladders for each bub at each ultrasound, because these are more accurate indicators of TTTS than their growth.

Anyway, stay positive, because every week they are in there they are that much closer to being ok. And there are things they can do if TTS develops, as I'm sure you know. I'm thinking of you and your bubs. xx

MBP_Mum Guest

Hi there and welcome. Need to chat to another twin mummy feel free to email me
    [email protected]

The ladies here are great listeners.

... 5678917 ...