Thread: A couple of twin questions...

Amy76 Guest

Default A couple of twin questions...

Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone can help with the following questions? Was told following Fetal Growth scan at 27 wks that twins were in breech position - what is the latest stage that they can change position and will I feel a change?

Has anyone got suggestions/recommendations for car seat positions for newborn twins plus toddler? I am thinking toddler seat in the middle and a twin either side but have no idea how well this will work....

Your help is greatly appreciated and if I can possibly help someone else out there by answering any questions - ask away!

Take care all
    Amy

with my twins 1 was head down at 30 weeks and turned breech so still possible to change- I felt it!
    A trick is to sit in a warm bath with frozen peas on the top of your stomach to see if they turn towards the warmth
    couldn't hurt hey!
    there is another forum for twins at the AMBA web site - its a good place to ask questions- so look them up- they are a lovely bunch!
    HTH
    odette

Hi again Amy,
    Twin A for me was head down the entire pregnancy and twin B chopped and changed positions a few times but I never felt it..I am not sure when the latest time is that they can change position..It is pretty squishy in there for them now..I remember my OB telling me at 27 weeks I was the size of a woman fullterm with one baby....so space is extremely limited..
    I have been thinking about the car seat dilemma as well..We are not pregnant yet but I would probably in your case put Stella in the middle and the twins either side..
    What sort of car do you have???DH and I were discussing we may need a van next time if we concieve twins again...LOL

Hi Amy

We have 2 yo twins and a 10 month old. We have the twins on either side and the 10month old in the middle. It was hard when he was in the seat was in the reverse position but now that he has turned around, it is heaps easier.

I am not sure how you will get Stella out of the car if she is in the middle and the twins are in the reverse position on either side?? From experience there is not a lot of room to get past 2 seats in the reverse postition. You may need to out the twins together.

My twins were both head down from the beginning to the end, so sorry can't help you there.

My parents bought a seven seater Oddysey to fit the newborns in.
    They have the twin seats together so my brothers can both get in the car - as tam suggested, i think it'd be virtually impossible to get your toddler in the car in the middle...

As for them moving - Twin one was on the left side head down and twin two was breech on the right until she was about 31wks (they were born at 33w). Twin 2 literally somersaulted over the top of twin one and ended up vertex on the left hand side so they were both head down. Mum said the sensation was unreal...

Not sure if it makes a difference but are they identical? If identical, chances are that after twin one is born, twin two could still end up moving him/herself... but im not sure if this is the same for fraternal as well; just something i know my mum was warned of.
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; February 12th, 2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: eta

Hi Amy! I am planning on asking my OB at my next appt when they 'like' or 'expect' them to be head down but I don't think there is a hard and fast rule for when they can no longer turn. A friend of mine had her twins at 37.5 weeks and in an u/s a week beforehand, twin 1 was breech and twin 2 head down. She was told she could have a VB if twin 1 turned. Turned out twin 1 DID turn - but so did twin 2 and twin 2 managed to beat her sister to present at the cervix first so she had to have a c-section after all. So anyway, the point of my story is that BOTH her babies turned completely at 37 weeks. And they were both a good size (7lb plus) for twins so they definitely find the space if they want to!

As for the car seat dilemma, this is one I am facing too. I will have 2 convertible car seats so I think my toddler will have to be on the edge since I can't imagine being able to lift her over the anchorage straps on the baby seats. However, depending on how much room there is (I am planning on having a play around when I buy my last seat) I might see if I can just undo her buckles and let her climb out on her own. I don't know if she'll have enough room or if she'll be old enough/responsible enough to do it but it would certainly be preferable to trying to lift a baby out over her seat - especially when the babies get bigger... I suggest you just try out different combos with your DD and see what suits her best. You can always switch them around if it isn't working anyway...

Hi Amy,

My twins were born 34wks5days and were not head down at all.

Carseats. I have my 2.5year olds next to each other with DD on the side.

All the best

motherduck Guest

Hi Amy

My twins where both breech my whole PG and they ended up being born at 33 1/2 weeks both breach vaginaly so can't help whith that question can only let you know you can birth breech twins.

The car seat thing is hard cause we have 15year old she sits behind the driver with very little space and our 3 1/2 year old sits in the very back of our 4x4 wagon.
    When me and the kids use the commodre sedan 15year old in the frount and all the little ones in the back we found that trying to fit 3 seats in the back a bit squishy so 3 now has a seat that is just a base she calls it her bum bit still akward but we get there we still put the 3year old on one side cause she has a bad habbit of pocking and prodding the twins.
    Jean

Jean - wow! I haven't met a dr who would agree to deliver two breech twins vaginally. Did you just get lucky and have a fast labour so not much choice or did you have a dr who was willing to let you deliver them breech?

Amy76 Guest

Thanks guys, for your help. Twins are still breech but Ob did not seem too concerned - I guess so much can happen between now and birth time that there's no point worrying yet!

Hannah (is it Hannah?), thanks for the word up on the car seats. I was thinking the same thing (Stella trying to climb in there herself) as she will be only a few months shy of 2 when twins get here and I don't fancy the idea of trying to lift a newborn over one of the other car seats...we'll see how it goes! By the way, how have you managed with your toddler so far?

Take care all
    Amy

Amy - The first trimester was really tough since I had no energy to play with DD but it has been ok since - just getting much harder to sit on the floor and play with her and things like bathing her are almost impossible! I am lucky that DD will sit and play happily on her own while I have a short nap if I need to.

How are you going? I see your DD is the same age as mine but I think you're a few weeks ahead of me in your pregnancy, is that right?

The carseat thing is going to be insane. I can see that the thought of loading all three kids into their seats is going to be a big deterrant to leaving the house at all. I am just hoping Eleanor will be able to climb out on her own so I can put her in the middle. *fingers crossed*

Hannah (yep, it's Hannah! )