Thread: Christenings?

Default Christenings?

DH and I are both Christened, but dont practice any kind religion. We are tossing up whether or not to get our children christened, I dont want to feel hypocritical and get them christened when we arent practising religion. However, I would like for my children to have the choice when older of - going for scholarships in private schools(catholic) if they have particular talent,being able to marry in a church etc.
    What would/ did you do in regards to christening?

ali, my parents werent religious but had me and my brother christened anyway.
    and from thre i was able to convert to catholic for my marriage.
    wat religions are you and your DH christened in? as if its diff, i ahev been told you go by the mothers religion, the best thign to do is find your local church of your denomination and haaev a chat to the priest, they will guide you.
    also if youre not catholic they wont do your kids in a catholic church - that what our local priest has told us.

We got both of our children christened more out of tradition then anything else- its the "done" thing within both our families and I am a bit of a sucker for family traditions so I suppose there was no question about it.

Incidentally, DH's family are all catholic but non-practising (weddings, funerals etc) and mine are semi practising (mum is a catholic primary school teacher). Both our children will be going to catholic schools (both primary and highschool) as well so I suppose that was a consideration too.

Do what you feel is right. If you decide to get the children christened now there is nothing to say that as they get older they cant make their own choice as to whether or not they want to pursue that religion or another.

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi Ali!

DH and I are exactly the same as you! We are baptised but don't practice. We had DD baptised in september - this way she can make her own decision later in life. This will also help her out in life with private schools and marriage in certain churches.

It was such a beautiful day we are really glad that we got it done.

goodluck with your decision!

My DP is christened catholic and im christened church of england we dont practise at all but we still christened Annabelle Marie church of England for reasons such as schooling, the choice of belonging 2 a church when she's older and it can b a lil harder 2 get in2 certain things when there older if there not christened. We just thought that we may not practise but she may want 2 later on and with church of Englad they're very easy going no judgments against unmarried or gays etc etc things that our bubs may come up against as they grow. IMO i find the catholic relidgion 2 b much 2 judgmental 4 this day and age. Each 2 there own though

Rather than a christening, because neither of us practise religion, we had a Godparents Day. Got a friend who's a civil celebrant to come along and basically formalise our son's godfather and godmother in the presence of all our friends and family. We wrote some words about why we chose these people as godparents, and they spoke about what the role meant to them. It was a great day. Fun, funny, and moving.
    I know the 'god' word is still in there, but he/she wasn't referred to in any more but the title of the role. And mentor sounded a bit stiff and unloving!

DH and I are both christened, but non-practicing Catholics. We had DD Christened last year because: 1) It is traditional in my family and we didn't want to be the ones to break it. I have no strong anti-religious views, so saw no reason not to get DD christened. 2) We want DD to have the option of being part a practicing Catholic if that's what she wants. Or is she chooses to go to another church, I think that being Christened will make it easier too. 3) We want to have the option of sending her to a Catholic school (I think they provide better education that public schools, JMO). 4) I'm a sucker for ritual, dressing up, inviting people over for an occasion, etc. The day went really well and I am glad that we did it.

I'm going to be a bit controversial here (but not offensive I hope) and say that I think that a Christian christening is about making a commitment before God, your family and the church congregation to do your best to bring your child up as a Christian (as in a believer, not just a christian in terms of morals etc). My pastor describes christenings and baptisms as "an outward sign of an inward intention or transformation".

A few people have commented that you "need" to be christened to go to some schools or to join a church. As best I know this certainly isn't the case for Christian churches or schools (but I'm not sure about Catholic).

HTH

We had our DD christened at 3 months, both me and DH are christened in the same faith, we married in the church and I practice religion, I dont go to church every Sunday, but I do go occasionally and for us it was important to have our child officially accepted into our faith. Its a matter of personal choice, and if you feel its right (for whatever reason) then go for it, and if you cant decide just yet, you dont have to do it when they are little tots either, my mum was christened at 12!