Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weddings - What Was Your Like??

Default Weddings - What Was Your Like??

we got married 3 years ago this october and i was wondering what sort of weddings did everyone have?

did you have a church wedding and a reception with all the trimmings for 100's of people

or did you go to the registry?

or was it a cosy affair in a backyard....
    i love chatting about weddings as they are so interesting!!

MY STORY

we had a beautiful ceremony at our local park. then an hour later was our reception at PIL place down the road. they had 3/4 acre with a beautiful flat grassed backyard. we hired a huge marquee, jukebox and all the needed crockery etc.
    our cateres arrived 3 hours before the reception and started cooking spit roast meats and prepping the hot vegies and salads. we had 3 meats 3 cold salds 4 hot vegies (potato bake, cauli cheese, carrot and pumpkin) bread rolls and 3 desserts (cheesecake, pavlova and mudcake) all for $18 per head.
    our 2 story cake was made by my mum (yummy carrotcake) and was decorated by PIL friend who gave me books that i picked designs off of 3 cakes and she gave mum the heartshape tins and then cdecorated it. our bridesmaids outfits were 3 pce skirt strapless top and wrap from rockmans for $99 ( the girls and i went halves) and DH hired a suit that looks like what keanu reeves wore in THE MATRIX. i could waffle on and on but all up including 2 nights in top hotel in perth our wedding cost $6000.
    people were ringing us on our honeymoon telling us how relaxed and fabulous it was and the best wedding they had been too.

We had a church wedding. 74 Guests, 12 in the bridal party including us. Church service went for around 45 minutes, then we headed to a local gold club. Was a buffet style setup cos i hate choosing food for people and this way u picked what u wanted. The room was decorated with over 200 balloons and balloon trees instead of flower arrangements. Our cake was 3 tiers, 2 orange and almond and 1 fruit. It was hexagonal in shape and there was a bride on top with a husband climbing up the side. My girls dresses were shimering pink, strapless and cost $300 each. I had 2 flower girls who wore white. My dress was strapless and $2000. We stayed the night with our family in a local motel, and had Sunday breaky together. 1 week later we went on our honeymoon to Barrington Tops (NSW). I was sick the while time. What made our wedding so special (for us) was i was pg with our DD at the time- was 19 weeks! Had the best night... Cost just under $20,000

we had a church service not the full sha bang but readings etc, we had around 80 guests all up 2 brides maids and groomsmen i page boy (just cause we wanted nephew to wear a suit )

we had a buffet style reception we were 1 1/2 hours late to reception as pics ran over board, I have pic sof my dress and bridal party in my website link in sig, bear in mind these are pics of pics so not great quality but you get the drift

my dress cost $1200, the reception was quite cheap in that it was a package they paid for flowers, cake, room hire, decorations etc, I think aroun $35 a head it worked out thats with all the extras, we had a 2 tier choc mud cake yummy!!!!!!!!! my girls hired their dresses as when I went in to get brochures for suit styles they had this outfit on diplay and it was eactly what I pictured my girls in cost us $100 for each outfit we paid half and the girls paid other half

ok rambled enough LOL

ETA we did a road trip up the QLD coast from Rockhampton (where we were married) right up to just north of cairns camping all the way we had one night I think in a motel, was fabulous
    Last edited by Rach75; May 4th, 2007 at 10:28 AM. Reason: honeymoon

We had our wedding in the Hunter Valley in september 2005. We hired a hall on the top of a hill with a nice view and had our ceremony outside with a celebrant to marry us. We hired decorations and set it all up the day before, and also hired a catering compnay to do finger foods and dinner. Being in the hunter valley, there was also an abundant supply of wine, although I'm not really much of a drinker. I think we had about 65 guests altogether, so not a huge wedding. It was mainly family, and also some friends. We also got a photographer and her spent the whole day with us from getting ready to going home so we have sooo many photos. I bought my dress and had it custom made for me because I wanted a blue one, not a white one! We went to Cairns for honeymoon. i loved my wedding!
    Last edited by Karina; May 4th, 2007 at 10:29 AM.

we were married in the gardens where we later had our reception.
    had about 90 people, my dress cost $800, girls wore colbalt blue and where about $120,
    we honeymooned in lakes entrance, merimbula, (canberra and albury to see family)
    we had everything we wanted, it was a fantastic day though very hot march day, had lots of comments even to this day about how great our wedding was!!! great fun and relaxing. we stayed in the night inthe hotel next door with a lot of family so had brekky the next morning then off to my parents for presents and lunch. most of the guest came alone as well. so including going out on the thursday night with the bridal party, drinks friday night out wedding lasted 4 days!!!!
    totla cost was around $12,000 including our honeymoon.

*TamaraP* Guest

We got married on May 21st 2005.
    It was an overcast but, with sunny breaks throughout.

We had a Catholic Church Ceremony (but not the full one, just the readings, I didn't want o bore our guests with the whole service).
    We then had a reception at the local golf club (thanks to my uncle)... it wasn't a reception, more like a party to celebrate our marriage. We didn't want anything fancy because we aren't those type of people.

We had two bridesmaids and 2 groomsmen, no children ( I have seen many wedding photos were kids have just had enough LOL). Our colour theme was purple. My MOH wore light purple strapless and my other girl wore dark purple.
    The boys had tails with their suits (I wanted top hats but they said no LOL).

We had a gorgeous old car which was originally used for the Queen Mothers visit in the early years.

Our cake was just gorg, two tier choc mud (with an extra cutting cake for dessert). We had the whole cake left over because the woman who made it made enough cutting cake to go around.

All up we had about 65 people, including us and it cost us under $10,000
    Our honeymoon was a drive around trip in Tassie for 8 days.

See our pics in the link to our home page (which can be found by clicking my main user name)

We got married on the beach... barefoot.
    I walked down a Balinese flag aisle... I had a Man of honour, and my DH had a Best woman... I also had 2 bridesmaids (my sisters) and a flower girl (my daughter) DH had 2 groomsmen (his brothers) and a pageboy/groomsboy (my son)
    The girls wore light apple green and the guys wore sand coloured suits with light apple green shirts. DH wore an ivory shirt under his suit... our children both wore ivory also to match my ivory dress. My boquet was Oriental lillies, singapore orchids, lisianthums, and frangipanis... my bridesmaids had frangipanis and singapore orchids in their bouquets and in their hair.

We had our reception at a water front resort, under a marquee, by the pool... we had just over 50 guests... all family... and we had a buffet meal which was beautiful... our cake was 3 different types of mudcake... white choc, milk choc, and choc hazelnut... covered in sugar frangipanis.
    Our decorations were simple... long, shallow vases on the tables which were filled with sand and shells and candles... there was shells scattered over all the tables... the shells had been collected by DH and I during our relationship.
    It was such a beautiful day... it poured down rain... and we had agreed that rain, hail or shine, we were gonna get married on the beach... and we did... and we got soaked!!! it was so beautiful though... everyone said it was so special because we didn't care about the weather... we just wanted to show our love to each other and get married!!!

Mine was soooooooo laid back! I really wanted to elope but family threatened to disown me if we did...
    SO, we got married at a winery in McLaren Vale, had our pics at the same location by a photographer I picked out of the yellow pages (I planned everything from Melbourne) and who turned out to be a good family friend of my step-mum and who lived two houses away from them. Had our reception at a pub two minutes from Dad's house. Spent our wedding night at a gorgeous B&B in the Adelaide Hills then took a couple of days to drive home. No honeymoon as such due to MIL having major surgery the day after our wedding and it being "touch and go". We had one bridesmaid and one groomsman. My dress cost $900. Total wedding cost was less than $5000.

As gorgeous a day that I had - I still wish I had eloped!

Jodie259 Guest

My wedding story (I'll try & keep it as brief as possible)

background: I've married an Israeli, and visa requirements said we had to marry within 9 months of visa being granted (I had 6 mnths to organise). He's Jewish & I'm not of any religion... so we went with a civil service with a Jewish celebrant. His family couldn't come to Australia.

* 2 days before the wedding, I gave my dress to the drycleaner up the road to 'freshen up' as I had spent weeks sewing all the beads on the dress. The drycleaner BURNT every single bead on the dress!!!
    * the day before the wedding: the bathroom pipes burst, and water seeped through the ceiling to the downstairs - and there was a hole in the ceiling! We were going on a 2 week honeymoon, so we needed urgent repairs!
    * the 3 tier wedding cake arrived the day before the wedding - and it was BLUE!! I had instructed the lady to make it pink & white... but it was all blue! I was beside myself! That got sent back and she delivered in on the morning of my wedding (6am).
    * I sent my hubby to his mates house the night before the wedding, so I could get ready without him there/seeing me.
    * We were meant to have our ceremony on a hot air balloon at 7am - but it was a bit windy, and the balloon got cancelled at 6am. Plan B had to be put into place.
    * My stepmother locked the keys INSIDE the reception/ceremony place on the morning of the wedding. Rather then phone me, she tracked down the organisers to get another key.
    * Naturally I was running a little late for my wedding. What I didn't realise was my hubby was also running late & arrived 1 minute before I did! Thus, he didn't have time to organise the music system for my "entrance".
    * Jewish tradition has the couple sign the documents before the ceremony - so the celebrant tried to get us to sign the wedding certificate before actually marrying us! (we should have done a trial run through)
    * While we were getting married, my parents home alarm went off & they panicked they were being broken into. Family had to leave to go home & find out dad had left a window open & the curtain set off the alarm!
    * as we didn't have a formal sit down reception (it was breakfast) - my sisters were meant to hand out the bonbonierre - they didn't bother - so I've still got 80+ candles!!
    * we got married, we got beautiful photos, and had to get to the airport to go on our honeymoon. Running late, my uncle offered to drive us... but drove at 60km on the freeway!! Still have no idea how we got to the airport! Thankfully the plane was late!
    * Arrived in Qld - get into the hire car - and realise DH had left both of our mobile phones on the plane! thankfully cleaners were just going through the plane & he found them!
    * had to drive miles to our 'resort'. Yariv had a pizza on the way. I didn't like the look of it, so I passed. That night, he had violent food poisoning. No luvin' that night!!
    * at our resort (on a golf course) - my husband is puking, and there is the final night of a golf tour... and a HEAP of drunk guys singing karaoke in the club rooms.

* from the NEXT day our marriage was perfect... and I married the best guy in the world!

oh Jodie, yours sounds like the classic -everything that could go wrong, did! - story. but it just proves that a wedding after all is just one day of a glorious partnership....

the stories are great girls!! cant wait to read more.

Jodie259 Guest

Yeah... it's that old story about "what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!!"
    I waited 15 months for my DH to get his visa (whilst he was in Israel, me in Aust)... so I wasn't going to let him go!

It's been a long time since I wrote down all the 'dramas' of our wedding... and I'm sure I've forgotten a few things! But it was, and always will be the happiest day of my life.

*TamaraP* Guest

OMG - Jodie! All those things that went wrong! But as you said in the long run, you married the man you love.

pebbles2820 Guest

Jodie-wow, you must be the most calm and colected person around. I know women who have had minor things go wrong and had near nervous breakdowns and huge hissy fits.

I love reading these stories, please keep them coming. Now for mine.

We were married Sept. 2004 in Fern Gully at Burrendong arboretum. I wore a purple medievel style gown, Maid of honour and 2 flower girls(DD and MOO's DD) dressed in gold and purple. DH wore a gold shirt, best man in lavender and DS's one in gold, one in purple. We wrote our own vows and both cried(aswell as a couple of the guests). I made dresses, bouquets and wedding cake(2 tier, chocolate mud and caramel mud)decorated in marbled purple icing with gold ribbons and purple and gold flowers. travelled from ceremony to reception on DH's Honda shadow 1100(thought it appropriate as I had taught DH how to ride when we were 18). Reception was an informal lunch at local reception room at Hermitage Hill.

Because we live so far away from most of our family and friends we had a BBQ the night before, the boys(including DH) became very inebriated and all spent the day of the wedding with dark glasses on. After the reception pretty much everyone came back to our place to party on (and watch the footy). We had about 60guests and the cost was approx $4000.00.We left the next day for 10 glorious days in Cairns(definitely going back there and this time we'll take the kids).

Some pics can be seen on my website, link in my profile.
    Last edited by pebbles2820; May 4th, 2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: incorrect wedding date

OMG Jodie... watta day!! Glad it turned out well in the end!!!

We had NO hiccups what so ever...

Oh other then i arrived at the church and ALL my guests were still outside talking, but then seen the limo and all went insode, only to then see DH come outside with the minister cos they had been looking for my mum (for some change in readings), she was going with my sister but at last minute decided she wanted the limo ride. So i was yelling in the car when i seen him....they eventually went inside and all was good again!!!

pc issues - didn't place the whole message - check out post below - LOL!
    Last edited by briggsy's girl; May 4th, 2007 at 06:25 PM.

My DF and I are getting married in late September this year!!! We are having a beach wedding outside his parents house overlooking the water... it's going to be casual, simple yet nice at the same time! I got my dress 2 weeks ago so i am soooo excited and I am going shopping with my bridesmaids tomorrow for their dresses! Yay! We don't believe in spending lots of money on a wedding, what's important is that we are sharing the day together and it's all about US! We can't wait!!!!!!

our wedding was brilliant on the day, but was a mass of drama's before and after! DH's family had been trying to break us up for ages (these are the same rello's that introduced us) - caused some big issues the night before, but the day was excellent

got married in the garden of our friend/best man's house - we'd met on his back balcony, so was appropriate for us - had a gorgeous ceremony with a celebrant - gave each other a single rose as a part of the ceremony. bridesmaids in sapphire blue, boys in pinstipre suits with blue shirts that shimmered to gold, page boy in white shirt and gold vest, flower girls in white dresses with gold stars on the skirt. i had intended getting a dress made - anything but white! - but when looking at bridesmaids dresses with SIL, she found a dress that was similar in style to what i wanted to get made (though way more fancy) - she kept bugging me to try it on, and i fell in love with it! went from being relatively cheap to nearly $2000 for the dress! had red rosesin my hair, bridesmaids carried a sheath of 1 white roses each (we got engaged on the 16th) - i carried 14 red roses and 18 white (got together on valentines day, married on the 18th of feb). whole ceremony was 5 houses away from home

photo's were done by a friends sister (there's a few on my webpage - pw=briggsy) and cost about $900 in total - some at friend's place, some at park - and then we begged to go to the pub for some drinks - it was sooooooo hot!!!

reception was at the footy club about 30kms away - cost us $150 to hire the hall, $16 per head for full buffet spit roast - 3 meats and cold chicken, 3 hot veg, 3 or 4 salads, bread rolls - 3 desserts. we put $1500 over the bar and then it was up to everyone to pay for their own drinks, but the club were really good with top shelf prices (which we weren't paying for) - so everyone bought their own - and we ended up donating about $300 to the footy club anyway rather than them give us change!!

cake was four layers of individual choc mud cup cakes with clue gold and silver stars. top layer was a chocolate mud cake with blue and silver ribbon and a gold and crystal star/moon ornament on top. had a band at the reception, and they were awesome - had EVERYONE up dancing!!

found out the day after the wedding that some of DH's family had lied to get into the reception venue while we were at the ceremony - and had stolen my place card, moved things around, and then dumped a plastic bag full of the yellow pollen from the middle of arum lillies on my chair - it wouldn't have been noticable and would have stained my dress and ruined it! wasn't happy! lucky the people at the footy club worked out what had happened and cleaned it all up so we were none the wiser! by the time we found out the next day, i was over their whole attitude and just let it go - why bother, right?

we honeymooned in queensland for almost a week, then stayed a couple of nights in melbourne and went to see the Lion King - was so much fun!

hehehe - i really loved my wedding - can you tell??

ETA - oh yeah, i made all the invites/RSVP's, gifts for the bridal party (etched glasses), gifts for anyone that helped (readings, drivers, flowers - bought cleanskin bottles of wine and made labels) - all the place cards and everything were hand made - and at the same time i was working full time and spending a LOT of time working with a solicitor about a nasty issue with a deceased estate! was fun, and i'd do it again in a heartbeat (but would be easier now i'm only working part time)
    Last edited by briggsy's girl; May 4th, 2007 at 10:33 PM.

i has the whole catholic wedding - as i had to become catholic to marry my hubby and i always wanted the whole thing.

everything went off without a hitch. had psotos in the city, down the middle of bourke st then at port melbourne and were lucky enough to get a freak early sundown so got some gorgeous photos!!! had 70 guests. friedns and family a flew in from perth and malta for it.

had 4 bridesmaids. 2 groomsmen and 1 groomswoman
    i wore ivory $2500 all beaded in chiffon
    my bms wore purple$70
    and the younger bms (my sisters) wore a pinky purple.

boys hired suits.

my dad brought his 3rd fiancee who lied and was rude t my mother who then told me then i told my dad off!!!

i threw the mandatory hissy fit in the midle of the dance floor - leave me alone to eat!!!!

but all our guests said it was just like one huge party!!!

my brother got drunk - put on my friends jacket and stole 4 bottles of champagne from the reception centre underneath it! - it was pink!!

then we went to crown towers for the night.
    i was mortified to find that my mil had packed my hubbies things IN A PLASTIC BAG!!! how embarassing!!

butin the end i think aout the perfect day we had and smile!!!

17th April 2005.

2 years woohoo!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast