Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weddings - What Was Your Like??

everyone seems to really have loved every thing about there big day. Dont get me wrong im happy more so that we are married but not so much about the day.
    DH and i had 3 kids at the time one just 5 weeks old we didnt have a lot of money and didnt want to ask the inlaws for to much ( another story) so we did everthing outselves in vites ect we had about 100 people alot i know but alot of it was kids we got married at a local park lovley no decoration required not that i had time becouse i and a few good family and friends had to get the hall ready thats right everything from putting the table and chairs up setting tables plates ect fill the fridges the list goes on i was at my most depressed when i had to clean the loos we didnt have help from inlaws becouse sis inlaw was flying in from canada with internet boyfriend no one had meet before and it was more important for mil to see to them than her own son on his wedding day pretty sad alot of things going on there anyway having set the hall up we went home to feed kids shower that race to get hair and make up down only to find out there was no money left in the bank so i had to borrow off my best friend. 1/2 hr on hair less in makeup and back home to dress kids they were to young to have as bridesmaids ect and the eldest didnt want to do it that really upset me not that we could really afford to buy dresses for them any way so i put the dress on and you know when so watch in movies the dress is tight yep that happend to me we managed photos you say nope no photos by a pro any way we just had friend and family take photos needless to say not one photo is good enough to put on the wall as i needed a tan ( bra marks ) i look fat the dress was all wrong. But you know the reception was a blast the food was great we had a friend cook for $10 a head yep that s right and it was great the cake was great made by a family member who does this for a living and if i do say so myself shes great 3 layers orange chocolate and white pepperment. It was hard with the kids so little friends helped out heaps when the mil let them, we danced to silverchair then when everyone left we were left to clean up alot more dramas went on god bless inlaws but all in all it was geat all my friends and family loved it the kids had a ball i just wish in hind sight that i had waited for all the kids to be old enough to be flower girls ect i get upset at times and when the sis inlaw says that when she marries again ( internet boyfriend in the reg office) she willhave the whole shebang and say that she will have my girls i get mad i want them to be there for me first not here would it be weird if we did it all again i would love to have it at a beach
    kittykat

Wow I am amazed at how many people had relatively low-key affairs. I am too tired ATM to go into detail about mine right now but just wanted to say it is nice reading everyone's stories

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

My wedding was just how I wanted it. Fairly casual. Friends and family around. However, I loved planning my wedding (once my dad set the budget and butted out). I'd love to do it all again (maybe for our 10 year anniversary we'll do it again and renew our vows). This time, I'll have a different theme.

we got married 18 Sept 2004 in Camden, outer sydney. We got married in a catholic church, then held our reception at Camden Valley inn, in the 'lodge'....
    Everyone stayed at the Inn the night before.....we had a real girly night me and my bridesmaids - painting our nails, having massages etc.
    We had a small wedding - 50 guests. DH and i didnt want to invite people that werent in our lives every day/week....i.e i didnt want to invite the cousin i had not seen since i was 21 !
    It was small, intimate. Our DD#1 played a role in the ceremony (she was right on 12 months). It was a real casual, fun affair. We hired the old style pub out after the reception, so everyone could 'party on' after the official ceremony.

I loved it, i loved that our DD was there, i loved how my bridesmaids looked, i loved that i married DH.....wonderful day.

See pics on BUBS #3....

We were married on April 14 2004 at the Sheraton resorts, denarau island, Fiji. It was fantastic.

DH and I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on a big thing that ended up having every man and his dog there because 'they always ask about you!'. Our immediate family came with us and turned it into a holiday. I had my wedding gown custom made and transported it to Fiji with us. The resort took care of the rest. I think it cost us $1500 and that included celebrant, paperwork, music (3 person acoustic guitar), photographer, flowers and transport. All we had to do was let them know the colour theme we wanted and where we wanted to be married (we did this after we arrived). It was perfect. DH and I spent the morning together by the pool (not very traditional but so far no bad luck!), then at 1pm I went and had my hair, nails and make up done as well as a facial - it was so relaxing. I was picked up from my room in a golf buggy and taken to the venue we had chosen - it was actually raining at the time - pouring, but all the fijians said that it was really good luck. The music was playing, the rain belting down on the roof of the hut we were married in. After the ceremony it stopped raining and we had our photographs taken. We treked all over the resort and got some amazing photo's with a definite tropical theme. We then had drinks in the lounge with our family before going to a restaurant that we had picked (there were a number of restaurants at the resort) and we payed for dinner for everyone, we had the most divine meal. Afterwards we went to the lounge where a band was playing and had a dance. I was hit on by a guy at the lounge which was hilarious as I was in my wedding gown! DH and family had a huge laugh about that. We then stayed at the Sheraton for 2 more days and then went to one of the islands without our family and had our honeymoon for 8 days. It was absolutely magical and neither of us would change it in any way. We had 2 celebrations (one in melbourne and one in adelaide as DHs family is in adelaide) with all of our friends and family that couldn't attend when we got back.

DH & I got married in Sept 2005.
    We got married in the gardens of a heritage (tourist) house on the Swan River.
    Had 3 bridesmaids, (my sister, a friend, and 1 of Dh's sisters), 3 groomsmen - which was a drama arranging. And a junior bridesmaid.
    I wore cream dress, that i had made. Girls wore really dark navy blue.
    Cars where 2 x Phase 3 XY GT's, one blue, one gold. Apparently the blue one was worth about $200,000 at the time.
    Reception was at a reception centre, in the Swan Valley, a more laid back, country sorta feel about it. Was great. Excellent, and all guests stayed at a hotel over the road. So worked perfect.
    Costs about $12grand all up i think.
    We made the invites ourselves, as well as the bombanaires, which doubled as place settings. I also made my jewerlly, and the girls jewerlly. Earings, necklaces, and braclets.
    We had chocolates on the tables, as well as in the bombonaires, which we got from a company in Adelaide, that imported them from Italy i think. And they where absolutly delicious.
    The reception centre was great, couldnt find a single thing to fault about it. Staff where amazing, food was to die for. Everyone we organised had the same sorta attitude to ourselves, laid back, but, complety 100% professional. From photographer, to hair dresser, to celebrant, to matri D, to DJ, everyone was happy, laid back, but, 100% on the job. What we wanted for a happy day (obviously) where every one remembered the day for being fun, and full of laughter, and that is entirley what we got.

Probably the only thing that annoyed us was getting the photos done. Alot of time wasted in getting some of the family members to stay together for the family shots. Like getting browns cows together. My family, mostly ok, as my wedding was the 4th one in my family, so, they where sorta used to the whole routine, but DH's family, where abit all over the place. The bridal party might of drunk to much while geting the photos done as well, which also made for wasting time trying to keep them organised.

My little hint for others going down this path - in your professional family type shots, where you are getting close up, full length photos, make sure the photographer gets everyone's feet right. Sounds silly I know. At my brothers wedding, the photographer made sure all of our feet where pointing the same, and we thought it was stupid. At my wedding, my family all just did as to what we where told at my brothers wedding, but DH's family, there feet where just sorta whereever they where comfy, and it really stands out. Maybe i just to picky. But, its important for feet to be correct, cause it ensure that everyone is standing straight etc.

One of the funniest parts of the day, was at the ceremony, rememeber, it was on banks of the river, so, lots of peoples in boats going past. We had little dinghy's that where turning their motors off, and drifting past so they could watch, and getting their boats caught up in the banks and reids. But, after the whole "I Do" bits, one boat goes past, and this guy yells out at the top of his head "DONT DO IT!" Funny as.

Oh - one other thing - DONT let you DH to be play football in the dark, the night before, with your brother, as the only finger they will injure, and swell, will be the ring finger. And wedding rings DO NOT FIT swollen and bruised fingers......

We were married 4-5-06 in Fiji on our 4th anniversary together. We had decided on a beach wedding and loved the idea of Fiji. Our immediate family came over and had a holiday themselves. My dress cost $200 and his outfit was under $100. My sister and his sister were our witnesses and were told to wear something that they would wear again.
    There was a tsunami warning the morning of our wedding and our island was half an hour away from being evacuated, luckily we weren't told this until the next day. A big storm came through 20mins before our ceremony but cleared up just in time to allow beautiful sunset photos with clouds in the sky. I had a Fijian minister do the ceremony with a Fijian choir singing in the back ground. I got to the wedding bure by golf cart as the sky was too choppy to put me on the wedding boat thingy. I was walked up to the bure with four Fijian Warriors and two Fijian flowergirls. Then we had drinks by the pool and dinner in the restaurant. We then honeymooned in Fiji for a few more days and headed home for a family/friends get together to show off photos and souveniors. We had two video cameras going (my brothers and ours) and were able to get some one back home to splice together an amazing wedding dvd that looked great.

It was a perfect day and was extra special because the people we loved most joined us. We definately want to go back and maybe even renew our vows at the same place.

All up including honeymoon was under $5000. And that was souveniours and tours as well

Babushka Doll Guest

We got married in Port Douglas, QLD (We are from Sydney) in a small white chapel overlooking the Coral Sea, the chapel has a large glass/window altar, it was just beautiful- Just family were invited so it was very small and emotional. Afterwards we had a reception at a seafood restaurant where we had a beach theme, we hired the outdoor balcony over looking the ocean.

I would have to say, it was the best day of my life, so relaxing!

We got married in Oct 2004 in a church (30 min service). I married a Greek so we had 150 guests (and that was the short list ). 2 BMs, 2 GMs, our flowergirl and page boy were our niece and nephew, our youngest nephew was born 6 days before the wedding so he was there too (he was actually due ON our wedding day - so she was induced the week before).

My dress was strapless with crystals, BMs were strapless in a fresh limey green silk dupion, all dresses were made by a dressmaker.

Our reception was at a restaurant in Kings Park in Perth, overlooking the city. Everything was AMAZING and many of our guests told us it was the best wedding they had been to. Reception cost us $100pp.

The weather was perfect and nothing went wrong - except our chauffeur was 45 mins late picking us up after the reception, so after we did the goodbye circle we waited outside and then said goodbye again to all our guests while we waited! Also I had really bad bruising of my sternum from the torsellette I wore with my dress!!

Honeymoon was at the Evason in Phuket.

All up it cost about $36,000 including the honeymoon (though parents and PIL's paid for parts of it thank goodness!) - but it was worth it

ETA: Funniest part of the day - during the ceremony when the priest gave his little speech, he starts out with "A marriage should be a threesome..." (I was waiting for some very inappropriate comments from DH's mates...) and continued "between a man, a woman and God" (major sigh of relief!). Was pretty funny though!
    Last edited by Mrs P; May 8th, 2007 at 05:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12