thread: What do you wish you had done between engaged and married?

Nov 2007
    Earth

What do you wish you had done between engaged and married?

My sister just got engaged!! I wasn't allowed to be involved with the other two, but this one and I are good friends I really want to organise something for her, not necessarily a shower - which will definitely come a bit later, once they start organising everything - but something for her and I, and maybe a few of her friends.

I just texted her and asked if she wanted to go on a wedding dress date soon, go and try on big, expensive dresses with no intention of buying them, just to get her in the 'princess' mood. Any other ideas?

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

no idea! but i do wiwh i went and tried on wedding dresses. because i made my own i never tried on any..

sent via my vortex manipulator!

Sep 2009
    Darwin

What do you wish you had done between engaged and married?

A proper pamper day massage facial etc, definitely dress hunt be warned though it can take a few dress hunting days. How exciting. Congratulations to your sister

Apr 2008
    Adelaide

Lunch with the girls in the bridal party if people don't know each other that well is nice. Something with the mum and MIL and any close female family. Pamper day sis a great idea, some groups will come to a house with one or two therapists and you take it turns to get treatments, while one is having a facial the rest of you can sip bubbly or your poison, eat nibbles and chat

Lovely you can be involved in your sisters wedding and be there to help her out.

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

I don't like the trying on wedding dresses with no intention of buying. The people who work in these shops often work on commission and it's kind of wasting their time. And stopping them from making money. Sorry don't mean to be a drag. It's just something that irks me. And I'd feel guilty doing it.

Have a girls weekend away. Take a cooking course with some girls. I often helped look at venues.

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

Not a fan of the wedding dress try on either. It is something that really needs to be done when the bride is ready and on her terms. It is not always that "fun". Often it is quite draining, exhausting and demoralising, especially if you happen to be carrying any weight (sorry don't know what your sister is like weight wise).

Certainly a big fan of the pamper day or pamper sessions in the lead up to the wedding. I would have been feral on the day if a friend had not taken me for a massage and hot pool session

Dec 2008

Take her to some wedding expos. There should be heaps coming up over the next few months.

Nov 2007
    Earth

Good point about the trying on, I only ever tried on one big one, kinda forgot you can't just do it yourself Doing that completely changed what I was looking for in a wedding dress though, so I do think it's important for her to try on different styles to at least find what style she likes. Plus, I ended up having a registry office wedding, with a simple prom dress - but the memory of how I looked and felt in that one proper wedding dress is so strong, even 6 years later, I really want her to have that.

Yes yes, day spa day is a great idea!

Tinks, good thing you mentioned the expos - I'd forgotten about them, and there's only 2 left for the year here, both on the same weekend a couple of weeks away!

Feb 2006
    Newcastle, NSW

How about a hair trial? Book your sister in to the hairdresser of her choice and have a hair trial day. It is so much fun. My sister & I sat around drinking champagne and eating fruit & cheeses whilst getting our hair styled. And the bonus is that your sister can trial a few different hairstyles that she may be considering for the big day.

From my iPhone.

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

I imagine there are some people who might answer "Met someone else"

Sorry, I have never been there or done that but I hope whatever you choose to do, you and your sister have a lovely time doing it.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Has she organised pre-marriage counseling? Not that you can go but a session with a counselor would be a better gift than a mani-pedi.

I should possibly have organised a hit on my MIL.

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

Has she organised pre-marriage counseling? Not that you can go but a session with a counselor would be a better gift than a mani-pedi.
    Unless you can find a counsellor who offers both advice and a good sloughing.

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

Onyx's idea is a really good one. People often underestimate the impact getting married can have.

Aside from that, I took my gf for a pamper session which she loved.

Jan 2009

A proper pamper day massage facial etc, definitely dress hunt be warned though it can take a few dress hunting days. How exciting. Congratulations to your sister
    Also be warned that some places charge you to try on their dresses if you don't buy.

Nov 2011
    Perth

Pre-marital counselling was the best thing we did as a couple. Some aspects/activities were quite fun, and of course it was practical and helpful.

A girl's day with her closest females sounds nice, wedding expo and a high tea lunch or something

Jan 2010
    Shoe Heaven

Trip to the solicitor to work out financial stuff.

Jan 2005
    Down by the ocean

I don't like the trying on wedding dresses with no intention of buying. The people who work in these shops often work on commission and it's kind of wasting their time. And stopping them from making money. Sorry don't mean to be a drag. It's just something that irks me. And I'd feel guilty doing it.
    Really?
    I was encouraged by more than one bridal shop worker to have a look around and try on with no obligation or pressure. They were also more than happy for me to try on dresses to see what suited my shape, which turned out to be far from what I thought I wanted

Oct 2006
    Melbourne

I would totally do the trying on wedding dresses! I think you need to try on a few different styles to figure out what suits your body shape. And they look completely different on the rack to how they look on a body! I never had any angst from any bridal shop employees, in my experiences they have always been really helpful.

I would combine a bit of wedding dress shopping with high tea or lunch? Pamper session or day spa are great ideas too.

Personally I'd leave the counselling and solicitor stuff for your sister and future BIL to sort out for themselves. I'd much rather organise a fun outing rather than the serious stuff which I think is a bit personal IYKWIM? But maybe that's just me