Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: your mother's wedding dress

I'm with Cailin.
    My wedding dress wasn't really a wedding dress (for a start it was pink), and there was no way I was ever going to fit into my mums size 8 number!

Quote Originally Posted by kimbaz View Post
    My mums dress was BLUE..... with frills and dangly bits..... id be ashamed to be seen in it!!
    LMAO!!! My Mums dress was blue also... and her bridesmaids wore apricot, and her groomsmen and my Dad wore brown!!! Surely those colours have never been in fashion together?
    So, nope, I didn't wear my Mums dress... and I really hope my daughter doesn't get big enough to fit into mine!!!

My mum never had a wedding dress. my cheap arse dad draged her off to the registry office in sydney & then they had lunch at the cafe that was in Grace bros at the time & then they caught the train home.
    My grandmother wore a suit so no dress there either!

I will keep mine forever but its not a big flash wedding gown so I'm not sure if Isla would be interested when her time comes. Its more a medievil style of dress.

The only time I could fit into my mum's wedding dress was when i was around 14 and in year 9....we had to do mock weddings as part of a class and I got to be the bride!! LOL!! So I wore mum's neck to floor straight white dress with see through long sleeves. I even used her feather wedding flowers!!!! (which I have kept coz she was going to throw them away - I don't know if she still has her dress)

So with the style there was no way I would've worn her dress.....but I did wear my nanna's garter, she just stitched silky blue material over the top! My dress was simple, still meringue skirt but no train and slightly off the shoulder,basic beading up top.....will never get rid of it as I'm too much of a sentimental fuddy duddy!! But my sister did wear my veil when she got married - I'm keeping that too!! Hehe!! (still have my flowers which I dried as well! LOL!! - yep. Am definitely a sentimental hoarder!! LOL!!)

Oh and don't know if I'll ever be able to fit into it again but I'm also keeping my lacey corset with matching stockings that clip on......am a TAD bigger now than the skinny minny fresh faced innocent bride of over 8yrs ago!!!

There would have been no way this booty would have got into my mums dress at all.

I know a family friend felt pressured into wearing her mums dress and I think she only did it to make her mum happy. I didnt like it personally and think she could have looked much nicer in something else as they had to alter it so much to have it fit her.

Im also sentimental Charlyfrog! Ive kept so much of my things just as another precious momento of my fabuolous day I was married. Im not expecting them to be used again, just something special to me

My mum had a gorgeous dress... She had it made for her, all out of lace. She's gone to throw it away a few times but I've told her off, along with a string of pearls (not real) But I've nicked those!

I'll be 6 months preg when we get married and mum would have been, oh... a size 8! So, not a hope!

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

My mum hired her wedding dress.
    My late grandmother wore her mother's wedding dress which was her mother's before her.
    She lent it to my uncle's now ex-wife when my uncle go married and I don't think she ever got it back. I might have considered wearing it otherwise.

I have 2 wedding dresses. One of which I never wore. The one that I did wear to my wedding is not a traditional style of wedding dress. One of these days I plan to get it professionally dyed and wearing it to special occasions.

i would have loved to wear my mothers wedding dress.
    Unfortunately she was a size 6 and i couldnt zip it up.
    i couldnt fathom cutting it up to make a new one though.

I couldn't have worn my mums wedding dress either. She borrowed hers from her SIL. The dress is no longer around the SIL cut it to shreds after an argument with my uncle one day, along with their wedding photos They're still married lol.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    The dress is no longer around the SIL cut it to shreds after an argument with my uncle one day, along with their wedding photos They're still married lol.
    Oops!

My mum wore pants, but with the most STUNNING white top that I would happily have worn, but she gave it away!

It was my plan to wear mine every year on our anniversary, but this year the anniversary will be skiing in Japan, and, much as I love my dress, I am not carting it all the way over there! But I will happily wear mine again on the odd occasion. I worked so fricken hard on it, I figure I deserve to from time to time!

I wouldn't have fitted into my mums. But I'm having a hot pink dress anyway

my mum wore an off white cheese cloth gown, ankle length with empire waist and long flowing sleeves, (wedding was 1981, dad wore white jeans, shirt and thongs!!) she still has it and has been worn to many a fancy dress party! ohh and her BF at the time embroidered little rose buds scattered all over it. I love it, but dont think I will wear it!

My mum borrowed her dress from her bestie so she didn't get to keep it. Don't think I would have fitted into it anyway as she was a size 6 back then!

We got married a month ago (yay!) and I wore a black and white dress. Here's a pic of the front and one of the back

Quote Originally Posted by Eluned View Post
    My mum borrowed her dress from her bestie so she didn't get to keep it. Don't think I would have fitted into it anyway as she was a size 6 back then!

We got married a month ago (yay!) and I wore a black and white dress. Here's a pic of the front and one of the back
    Jeez has it been a month already!? Time flies when you're having fun

I know Teagz! I better get crackin and finish my thank you cards! Maybe DH will bring me home flowers tonight lol unlikely...I think it does deserve a night off from cooking though

My mum never had a proper wedding dress. I believe for her first marriage she just wore a nice suit with gloves and a hat, she did not marry my father and what she wore when she married my step dad was just blergh. She did have some gorgeous ball gowns, even at my thinnest I was not quite able to fit into them, my rib cage is just too big. If I had thought about it earlier I would have asked for Nanna's wedding veil (very 1920's) and seen what I could have done to make it suit my wedding dress.

My dress was not typical and I have worn it again many times for Medieval feasts. (If you are my friend on FB it is the green and gold dress).

lol this is an old thread.

My mum sold hers straight after their wedding. I probably would have worn it too, but she's not a hoarder.

I still have mine but on our wedding day DH put his chair on my net skirt and put a big hole in it.
    I have kept my veil and tiara though to give to Darcy.

A friend of mine cut up her wedding dress to make christening outfits for her 2 kids (a boy and a girl). They were just gorgeous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast