Thread: Asking for a pay rise

Ellibam Guest

Default Asking for a pay rise

this is for my DH
    he has been on a salary which was meant to be review every 3 monthsafter the first 6 months it stopped increasing that was a 18 months ago
    new owners have come in (6 months ago) and ben really like working for them(and they know he is a damn hard worker and how hard it is to find a decent chef)
    so for the last 6 months he has been doing the work of 2 people(they cant find some one that can do the job. but now have gotten an apprectice starting in a few weeks)
    we want to write a letter asking for a pay rise(he hasnt even had the cpi one in the last 18months) what do we write??
    he is currently paid well above the award
    thanks girls i know your help will great

Try this:

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+letter&meta=

This is how I worded out my letter of resignation for the job I am at now.

Good luck, I hope your DP gets what he deserves!

Could he possibly just speak to them about it?

If he was working for me my first reaction at receiving a letter would be - "didn't you think that you could speak to me about this?" Also, the new owners probably aren't aware of the original deal (unless he told them) and probably think that he is due for an increase at the end of the financial year (when most pay rises occur).

I think that maybe a better way to approach them would be to have a chat with them but go armed with a list of reasons that he deserved a pay rise and then say something like "I wrote down a list of reasons and here is a copy for you so that you can think about it". Points on the list could include the added responsibility of training an apprentice, long hours, doing work of two etc. I wouldn't push the no recent increase too hard but woudl definately make them aware of it.

Give them the opportunity to think about it - specially since they have just taken on new staff but don't let it go for more than a couple of days (they may need to speak to accountants etc). And if you don't get the raise that he wants say something like "thankyou for considering it and I hope that we will be able to discuss it again in June/three months/whenever [but set a definite time frame]"

Good luck

Ellibam Guest

the reason we have decided a letter is simply because my DH wont ask he doesnt like confrontation evensomething simple like this he would rather just plod along then ask(even though we could really do with the extra money)

he has been offered ajob in the mines which is huge money but he is then away from us. his bosses know he has been offered it and think thats it even though i told them he is thinking about it

so i guess we want it to happen quickly so we can decide on if we want him to stay or go

Ellibam Guest

any other ideas??? pleease

There isn't an office manager there or human resources that he can go through? I have an office manager here at work and whenever I feel like I need more money cos I'm brilliant (hehe) I just ask her. My old job before I just bit the bullet and organised a meeting between one of the partners and asked her to her face. Got nothing to lose!!!

Ellibam Guest

no he is a chef so he is the boss of the kitchen the people above him are the bosses.

Ahh sorry, you probably said that but I didn't read it properly.. pregnancy brain strikes again!!! I'd suggest really just going straight to the bosses, no letters, just go straight to them, sit down at a table, tell them what he wants, what he has been offered etc.

Could you persuade him that this isn't a confrontation - it's a chat. Is the problem that he doesn't know his boss very well? Could he perhaps do a combo of a chat and a letter so go up to his boss and say that he'd like to have a chat with him at some point about his wages and he's made a few notes for him to have a think about and get back to him?

Reassure him that we ALL find this difficult but it's not going to turn into an argy bargy. It's really hard to find good people these days; your boss will want to hang on to him - much cheaper than finding a replacement even with a pay rise.

Why doesn't he explain to them that he is seriously considering the mine offer cause you need the extra money but he doesn't want to leave them in the lurch? Could he ask them if the previous owners told them about his pay increase structure?