Thread: Going for a job interview - EEK!

Default Going for a job interview - EEK!

Hi All,

I am going for my first job interview on Friday and my last job interview was 4 years ago!!! So I am feeling a little nervous (already) about it and dont know what to expect!

So, what sort of questions are normally asked in interviews? I kinda to look like I am kind of prepared!! Can I ask what the hours would be like, or does this sort of stuff get discussed?

Also, should I be mentioning to them that I am on maternity leave or that I have a young child? I feel like I should be honest, and knowing me it will come out some how...

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I have never mentioned my children in any of the interviews I've ever done, in part because I don't think it's relevant to my suitability for the job. Nor have I expected, as an employer representative, for anyone to explain what their family situation is to me when I've interviewed them.

Good luck for the interview. Remember that they build into their assessment that you're going to be nervous!

:goodluck2:

Hope you get hired!!!!

OOhh OOhh I'm good at this - can you tell me what field you are getting into?

What sort of company/job is it for as they will have different questions/procedures depending on what it is? Example government jobs have very rigid procedures and ask a lot of behavioural based questions (the ones where they say "Give me an example of a time when you have done xxxx")

They are not allowed to ask you any questions about your carer status or how you are going to look after your children etc. However, it is probably a good idea to explain on your resume why there is a gap in your employment ie. that you have been on Maternity Leave for the last 9 months. There is definitely a fine line between being honest and upfront and providing too much information that isn't required.

Sushee - thanks

Lulu and Nai - Its a Personal Assistant job for a Property Developement company that is home based, so it could just be one or two people in the company, not too sure about that one. My previous position was an office administrator. So I dont really have experience as being a personal assistant, but in my office administrator role, I worked very closely with regional managers and did consider myself a personal assistant but didnt have that title.

Nadine - haha thanks!! Not sure if I want to be hired by this place or not as it is 40km away from home, but its the career I want to get in to and its only 3 days a week and its in an upper class suburb, so it'll be a tough decision if I do get hired!!

Ok so they may not have a lot of experience in interviewing and probably won't be overly structured in the interview. They will probably ask you things about your skills and experience ie. what you have done in previous roles and how you can apply these skills to this role.

Is the role a new position that they have created or is it one that someone has been doing previously?

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Not previously having that job title does not mean you don't have the required skills to get the job. You need to the think in the mindset of someone who has lots to offer, and that they should hire you because you can exceed their expectations (and you can!) and whatever you can't do, it will take no time at all for your to learn. Passion for what you want to do plays a big part too.

Nai, I am not too sure if its a new position or not. But I guess the not having much experience in an interview could be an advantage, or maybe a complete mess! LOL

Should I bring a copy of my resume to the interview even tho I emailed it to the company? And when giving referees, do I just give name and number or what position they what in the company I worked with them? Cause the referees I am using have all moved out of my current company

They will probably be as nervous about presentation as you.

"Have you worked in a small company before?" Betcha get that one. They might ask about your flexibility, so have anwers ready for that one too. I didn't like to appear "too" flexible as I have found in the past employers can take that as - we can call you in whenever we like...

I wouldn't worry about being out of the workforce for awhile, I bet they are expecting lots of mums interested in the hours anyway.

Take a copy with you even if it's just for yourself. If you are nervous it is often good to have it there with you to refer to if you need to. Also go prepared with a number of questions about the role - you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you!

With referees, don't give them until they ask for them and also check with your referees before letting anyone call them to make sure that they are happy to be a referee and that they are available (ie. not overseas etc). Give the name, number, previous working relationship and current role.

Hey!!

I am going to this interview in a few hours - AHHH!!

I am just getting my referees down on paper, but how do I display this information?? The referees that I am using are all ex-employees of my company and I am not too sure what their current role is in their new company.

This is what I got so far..

Name
    Number
    Company
    Role

Could I do something like.

Name
    Number

Previous working relationship
    Company
    Role

Would that be a good indication that we are no longer in the same company?

I know that I shouldnt really need to explain my family life, but I am breastfeeding at the moment and am going to be expressing while at work. Should I mention this to him or does something like this be discussed AFTER he has offered the job and I accept?

And I dont know what sort of questions to ask!! I guess the main questions are working hours, rate, what responsibilies I will have and all that stuff should be covered. Are there any general questions you can think of that ask? The position is personal assistant for property developer..

With the referees, when I send in my resume I only ever write "Referees supplied on request". If they ask for them in the interview I give them a list with the Name, Phone number, Working relationship at the previous company and then I elaborate further in the interview about if they are still with the same company or not.

Not sure about the expressing, but IMO, it shouldn't make a difference to them, however I guess you might want to know if they have a decent space/facility that you can go to express. If I was interviewing someone, it wouldn't bother me if the candidate didn't mention it. I would mention it after you get the job maybe.

GOOD LUCK!!

As laranna said, I would say References supplied on request and if they ask you then present them as you suggested

Name
    Number
    Previous working relationship
    Company
    Role

I think it depends on the feel you get from the interview as to if you discuss the expressing or not. If you are feeling good and comfortable and you have discussed that you left your last job to have a baby, you might bring it up. Simply ask if there is a place that would be suitable to express and store milk. If you aren't feeling comfortable then you might not want to discuss it at that point.

Also I would ask what the recruitment process is from here eg. will there be another interview, when are they likely to make a decision.

Good Luck with the interview!!

Thanks Nai and Laranna!! Now just gotta wait for DH to come home to look after DD.. lets hope he is on time!

You are probably already gone but good luck V hope it goes well for you!

So how did you go???

Well I think the interview went pretty well! Very nice man in a very nice house. The company makes millions of $$. He did ask me the question - how will I find working in a small home office!! I think I answered it pretty well. He did say he has a few more people to interview and will get back to me early next week. I dont think I will get it, but if I do, I think I will need to turn him down cause I would be sitting in my car for atleast 3 hrs each day. I'd be getting home real late - not the lifestyle I want!!

I did feel a little dishonest as I didnt put in my resume that I am on maternity leave as I still am currently employed. I was asked what I do with DD when I am at work and I had to say that I am actually on maternity leave and am meant to be returning in July. I think I may put down maternity leave on my resume.....