thread: how to ask for a payrise

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

how to ask for a payrise

i've been looking at the award i'm paid under and i'm def. doing everything thats mentioned in the pay bracket above me so thinking i should ask for a payrise to reflect that.
    I have no idea how to approach it, i've never asked for a pay rise... ever.
    Help please? suggestions?

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Ask for a meeting if you work in that kind of office or find a quiet moment if you don't and say that you'd like to discuss a payrise. Tell them that you do all work of the pay bracket above you and you deserve it. It's a business conversation not an emotional one.

Now is a good time because it's near the end of the EOFY.

Don't drop hints. It is so annoying when someone drops hints instead of asking.

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

Be prepared. So have a list of your current duties and how they align with the higher bracket.

Best of luck

Nov 2007
    Earth

'Dude, can I have a payrise?'

I like what Onyx said, it's a business negotiation, not and emotional discussion. I don't think what you're asking for is the same as a normal raise - you're asking to be paid in the next award bracket. That would be easier to prove I imagine, by showing them the award and comparing what you do.

Good luck

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

So asked for a rise. To be told that even though In doing everything in pay brackets above me (which they acknowledged) pay rises r bases on how long I've been there for and I should be getting incremental increases each year. I've been on the same now since oct 2010. So going to double check it with the accounts ppl and go back am argue my point again. They did say they would increase my salary sacrifice though if I can't have a rise.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

Pay should be for merit, not length of service. That's a poor way if incentivising people. If you fit the award, you should be paid the award.

BellyBelly Member
    Add xXHopeXx on Facebook

Jan 2010
    Penrith, NSW

That really doesnt sound right!
    One would think regardless of how long youve been there, whether its a couple years or weeks, if you're doing work of someone higher, you are supposed to be getting the appropriate wage! They even acknowledged you're doing the work of someone higher!

Sent from the land of "iSomethings" so forgive me for any spelking misstaks

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

If there is an EBA in place then the rates are generally set in conjunction with the union/employer and you should be getting pay increases as agreed. If there is no EBA and you are covered by an award then you should be paid the award rate based on the role you are doing.

I would get a copy of your PD and then address all of the things that you actually do on a day to day basis. Look at how these align with the award rates and put a case forward. If you have union representation you can always ask them for advice too.

If you are meant to be getting increases and you have been on the same salary since Oct 2010 the I would say you are overdue for an increase and that is definitely something that needs to be addressed. An increase in salary sacrifice is fine but you should also have a pay rise.

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

Double post

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

Doubled check with accounts person late this afternoon, i am being paid at the highest rate in the pay bracket i'm in itms. So i have had my salary sacrifice doubled. I was going off the last letter of offer i have but i haven't been given anything new since the increase came into place in Jan this year (i noticed an increase but thought it was because my car had changed and so the payments etc). It just sux how this award works seriously.... so from here i can only go up to a co ordinator position whcih they won't do.