Thread: Resigning while on maternity leave

Default Resigning while on maternity leave

Hey All!

I am planning on resigning from my current employment. I am on maternity leave at the moment and am meant to return back to work at the end of July but I've decided to be a full time mum for a while longer.

I know that this could be different from work place to work place, but is there a way to resign while on maternity leave?

I have jsut contacted someone within the company and have found out that my boss is leaving the company this week, so who would the next person be that I need to contact? The company is Australia (and world) wide.

TA!

I would think that you would need to resign formally ie. with a letter. Is there a HR Manager for your area? If so they would be the first person to call to discuss the issue. If you boss is leaving then I would go to his/her boss in that instance.

Was it paid maternity leave?
    My SIL got X amount of weeks paid maternity leave and then as many as she wanted unpaid but she had to go back to work or she would have had to repay the paid maternity leave.

NOPE! Just found out that the HR left as well... hahah I wonder if there is any one working there??!!

dachlostar - No it wasnt paid maternity leave. Thats interesting, I cant believe that a work place would do that, I guess its a way to keep hold of the person.

I would just send a formal letter of resignation to the most senior person of the company. They will ensure that your letter is directed to the right place.

Best of luck and enjoy being a SAHM!

If they have all resigned I wonder if they know to expect you back??

Nai - that is what I am thinking!!! Since I went on maternity leave EVERYONE I worked with has left the company, so I am thinking that I will write this letter of resignation and this personal will be sitting there thinking, who the heck is this!!

I wonder if I should try and contact my boss and see what he says. I think his last day is friday, not 100% sure tho. I wont feel so bad telling him I am not coming back now that he is leaving. What you think, sounds like an idea to try??

DoubleK Guest

i think if you're comfortable calling your boss, you should do that. im sure he will tell you who to address the letter to.

enjoy being a SAHM!

contact your old boss tomorrow Ngala. he'll be able to point you in the right direction

for the paid mat leave thing - it's quite common for companies that offer paid mat leave to make it conditional on you returning to employment and maintaining that for a minimum period of time. i guess they make a financial investment in you when you go on leave - they pay you on the expectation that you are taking leave and will be returning... if you're not returning, why would they pay you "leave" when they can just pay out any of your entitlements (rec etc) and say see ya

Definitely call your boss before he goes, even just to say goodbye and ask who you should contact with him going if you don't feel comfortable telling him you will be leaving too.

Yes, definitely do your best to do this formally. Would also be an idea to get your boss's new contact details - you may need him to be a referee down the track.

AHHH!!

I just called my boss's mobile and he left a message saying he no longer is working and didnt leave any other contact details!! I guess this is going to be a lot harder.. I am going to need to explain who I am to someone that I dont know and to someone that doesnt know me!!

Gee, nice of my boss to even call me and tell me what is going on or to even say good bye to me!! Surely he should of done that cause I am still an employee of the company...

Hmm I jsut had a thought... It says in the guidelines that my position has to stay open for me until my return after maternity leave, what happens if I do not even have a position within the company to go back to??!! Cause I did intend to return, but a lot has happened in the past 10 months. I would say that all my work that I did, someone over in Melb/Sydney is doing it and if there is no one working there that would even remember I went on maternity leave, then really I would not have a position to go back to... What happens then, can THEY say 'no sorry, we have nothing for you' - what would happen if I was to return and they said that???

I hope that makes sense! Just kinda thinking out loud here...

they have to offer you a role of equal pay and responsibility - if it doesn't exist, i believe they'd have to negotiate with your or discuss redundancy of your role

to be honest, if you can speak to HR, i would ask them what is to happen on your return to work first, say that you're aware of the changes and believe your role has been moved to the east coast - what is to happen to you

let them tell you what will happen re role, responsibilities, and wages, then tell them you'd like a chance to think it over cos you're not returning to YOUR role - and then leave them hanging a day or two, call them back to resign. you might find they offer you an attractive PT package that is suitable.... definitely worth playing the game first - rather than just saying "i've called to resign"...