Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 16th-30th 2009 #1

Melanie, let's just say he was being an idiot! Re: the whole flu thing, I'm only concerned mainly cos of Elijah too. I seriously don't want him getting something like that. Oh and now instead of just letting the Qld people off they're apparently letting ALL of them off. Now, they say they're trusting people to go into voluntary home quarantine.... right so they police this how?? GRRRR. Let me know when you're coming this way. We have playgroup on Thurs mornings, other than that we just play it by ear on what we do or don't do.

Oh and I meant to say before too Melanie, forget the housework if they're both sleeping... put YOUR feet up and take a breather for yourself!!!
    Last edited by Ozziehoffy; May 30th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.

Couldn't agree more re P & O cruise being allowed to get off. Im seriously worried bout Lachlan being exposed to it. I'm trying very hard to NOT be alarmist but even if we go to shps i have no idea where those ppl have been (LOL) ... or who been in contact with. i'm not worried too much bout me or DP but he doesn't have an immune system like us. *fingers crossed* we all lucky enough to avoid the outbreak - or even better - that it's a total fizzer and nowhere near as bad as they fear.

Ozzie - a wonder week is a week of important development for the baby, if you google it you'll get heaps of stuff bout it. there are several during 'babyhood' and toddlers ... it makes them grizzly and hard to settled, feed etc etc. i think it's called wonder week cos i wonder how we get through it. thank god i bought a HAB ... he can be close at all times like he wants and i can do stuff round the house. it's my fave thing ever.

ozzie - also sorry to hear your son being a raggamuffin ... it's the age isn't it? my step kids are great but ... omg have to tell them the rules every fortnight we have them again and again. DP 'forgot' this morn that we don't allow them to have softdrinks before lunch and the youngest got one of those horrid energy drinks (he's obsessed with them) and i cracked it. told DP they're 'his sons' do as you wish but Lachlan will be brought up diff.

Lach actually properly BF this morn. without shield. so happy. but bet he won't again. may be a fluke. prob considering it's WW (wonder week).

x to all. he cracking it. gtg.

Hi everyone,
    Just a quick update been very busy lately haven't had time to do anything. Finally got Oliver weighed and he is 4.9 kg, putting on average 180 per week so were very happy with that. Still bf but have been giving a bottle after dinner feed to top him up. I find i don't have as much milk around this time?? We went to a wedding yesterday/last night and he was an absolute angel. Didn't hear a peep out of him the whole time, it was so nice to get out of the house and have a good time. Oliver has also i think started sleeping through. The last 3 nights he has slept from 8.30pm to 4am. Not sure if its a phase or anything. The first 2 nights i freaked out and was checking on him every hour then woke him up for a feed just in case.
    The last week i have found it so hard with juggling both the kids and housework ect, and had the guilts so bad about spending all my time with Oliver and looking at poor Sam and thinking i haven't had 10 mins since Oliver was born just to sit and cuddle him. Sounds bad hey. So today i made Dh have Oliver and i went and jumped on tramp with Sam and read stories and things and so now i feel like we've reconnected and it was so overdue..
    Not sure but i think Oliver may have thrush in his mouth. I haven't got breast pain or anything but when he was crying today i noticed white stuff on the insides of his cheeks but not on his tongue?
    I bought a Bubba Moe sling to wear because Oliver likes to be held all day, and guess what he doesn't like it. so i was going to take it back and swap it for a Hug a bub or peanut shell one. I find the pocket bit is really deep and he sort of gets lost in it.
    Berrme- What sort of nappies do you have your boys in? I have a Itti bitti d'lish that i love and a bum g but haven't fully made the commitment yet. I think Oliver is quite a heavy wetter because i find when i have him in a cloth nappy i need to change it 10 minutes later.
    Can't believe my little one is 1 month old already! Its crazy how fast the first weeks go..

Ozzie; I didn't do anything too strenuous... just went through my draws and put stuff in bags to go in the charity bin. Noone will ever accuse me of doing too much housework.

Mama2two; I am an old school towelling square user so not much use to you as far as choosing a MCN. I have been considering getting some sort of fancy thing for night time so I don't need to get disposibles anymore. You need something really absorbent once they sleep through.
    Yay to Oliver sleeping through. Edward has done that pretty much since we came home from hospital, but the last 2 night he went over 9 hours! It is pretty scary, even now I have to stop myself getting up to check that he is ok... it just disturbs him. Byron started sleeping through around 10 weeks and kept it up until he started getting teeth around 5 1/2 months, and once the teeth were there he would sleep again, so there is hope for us that they will keep it up.
    It is Byron that is stopping me from getting a really good nights sleep. He has been waking up around 3.30 and coming into our bed most nights. I think it just an attempt to get some time with us on his own so I don't want to get cranky but he does so much wriggling that he is virtually impossible to sleep with. I try to have cuddles and nice playtime with him whenever Edward has a sleep but maybe I need to try a bit harder. I completely understand where you are coming from with Sam!
    I got a Hug a bub last week and so far I am really liking it. It is a bit fiddly to put on but I am sure I will get better/ faster at it. Edward likes it and feels really secure. I hung out a couple of loads of washing with him on (no washing trolley so lots of bending) and he slept the whole time. He hardly moved.

Mustang; I hope lachlan keeps feeding properly for you! I haven't ever noticed that they get really grizzly in wonder week, just super hungry.
    I hate those energy drinks too! I have never been driven to rty one myself but it bugs the hell out of me when all the kids at school walk through the gates in the morning drinking them. As if they aren't hyper enough!

Both my boys are up now so better go sort breakfast out for the big one.

Sorry I've been MIA but you guys know how things are!

I have been popping on and reading posts every now and then, but usually when I'm b/f and it frustrates me trying to type with one hand.

Things are going okay here. Master K tends to be grizzly between 3pm and 8pm at night which makes dealing with crazy time a little nightmarish with DD. He must be going through a growth spurt atm as he has generally been feeding every 2-2.5 hours, day and night. Last night he did 4hrs then 3 and another 3 which was great.

Ive been grumpy and not getting enough sleep. DD goes to bed at about 12.30/1pm and Master K has been waking around then for a feed. By the time he's fed, had a play and settled again, DD is due to wake up. I'm certainly surviving on a lot less sleep than I did first time around. I cant hold a decent conversation though.

must go, crying baby

Yay i got a hug a bub today and Oliver loves it. It is a bit fiddly but i watched the dvd about 5 times and think i have it sorted now.. Rain again today so i took Samuel to Hippo house at morayfeild so he ran a muck for 2 hours and i just sat in the corner and read a mag and fed Oliver then we had some lunch. It was good not to be stuck in the house holding the baby with a bored 3 year old.
    Berrme- Your so lucky your boys are good sleepers, my first was a nightmare. Like Byron, Sam has been getting in with us round that time too. Not sure if he's cold or something or just wants a cuddle. I don't mind. Oliver woke at 12.30am last night for a quick feed but that was it.
    Were nearly due for the 6 week check up at the doctors. Can anyone tell me what to expect with that? I didn't go to my one with Sam.
    Bed early for me tonight could hardly keep my eyes open during masterchef.

Mama, they just do a general check up at 6 weeks; weight, length, head circumference and a number of other things that it says in the red book. I have had one both times but I think I will just get the GP to do it if I have another baby. I have to go in for vaccinations at 8 weeks anyway.
    Is hippo house an indoor play centre? I haven't ever been to one as we don't usually have rain for this long but I will next time the weather is terrible.

nell, you poor thing! I hate being sleep deprived. Have you tried feeding Master K in bed when he wakes up while DD is asleep? You might find he goes straight back to sleep. I only occasionally manage to get my 2 boys to sleep at the same time during the day but it doesn't matter so much when you are getting nighttime sleep. Hope Master K settles down a bit for you so you can get some more sleep!

Still cruising here. Lots more washing to do though... never seems to end anymore.

Melanie, yep Hippo House is an indoor play centre. I only saw where it was the other day. There are 2 at Lawnton as well! I haven't been to any of them though. I did go to one at Lawnton a while back but it's since closed down... I mean hell there was 3 of them within a few km's of each other!!! CRAZY!

Amanda, you mustn't live too far from me. I saw the Hippo House a few weeks ago, didn't realise where it was. Is it good there?

Is chipmunks one of the Lawnton ones? I have heard that it is good there.

I did the washing... and then it rained again. And real rain too, not just sprinkles. I can't believe it didn't rain here for like 4 years and now we can't manage a whole day of sunshine.
    I am trying to organise to get our roof cleaned before the house gets painted but not having much luck. The guy who was supposed to do it has told me 3 times that it will definitely be in the next few days, but it has now been over a month! I called some other places today but they are all going to get back to me. It really shouldn't be this hard.

Ozzie- I'm at Bribie Island. I have only ever been to Hippo house at Morayfield so don't really have anywhere else to compare it to. I find it good though, it wears ds out bigtime and its good to sit and relax. They have a section for i'd say 1 - 4 year olds, then another part for the older kids. My ds tends to hang around in the bigger one. They have 3 big slides and lots of balls and things to do. You can also order food and drinks or coffee there. It's $8.50 for 3-4 year olds.

Berrme- I'm hearing you on the rain. Hung out 4 loads yesterday. Completely forgot to bring it in and now its soaked again. How annoying about your roof.That guy better do a good job. Its so frustrating waiting for tradesmen to come out. The house we just bought mustn't of had a pest control for a while and there seems to be a lot of ****ies and these little tick like things and the earliest the man can come out is next Wednesday. Eww i hate ****roaches.

Anyone watching the footy tomorrow night? Go Queensland

Melanie, yeah Chipmunks is one of them at Lawnton. I've heard good things too, just haven't been yet. Oh I should've washed sheets on Monday it didn't rain but has been since!! OMG I would be telling the first not to bother now!! That's disgusting!

Amanda, sounds good, might have to check it out one day. I am a terrible "watcher" though of bigger kids hooning around near the smaller ones. Oskar has been knocked over for a six several times and been hit and pushed off things too. I hate that part cos I don't want him to think it's normal and I don't want him to be afraid either.

Oh and GO QUEENSLAND!!!!
    Last edited by Ozziehoffy; June 3rd, 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Cass, maybe we should try chipmunks when we do get together.
    I just got off the phone to a new roof guy, he is going to do it on Tuesday. If he doesn't show up I will cry.

Mama, I know it probably doesn't really make you feel any better, but ****roaches are actually very clean. Fleas, flies and mice are the nasty ones. I still hate them too. You would think that tradesman would be desperate for work in these tough economic times... maybe things aren't really that tough??
    Enjoy the origin tonight Mama, go the maroons for sure! There will be pizza and footy here tonight. If I express some milk I could even have a beer... now that would really make it origin night!

Byron has fallen asleep on the couch again. He seems to think that he doesn't need a nap anymore but 4.00 seems to be his limit. It is only a problem because I have to wake him up after around an hour so he doesn't sleep all evening and then want to stay up all night. Oh the dirty looks I get when I wake him up.

Wow it's super quiet in here at the moment. Must mean everyone is busy enjoying their babies.

Master K has managed a few half smiles so far. My DD was grinning from ear to ear at this stage. I shouldn't compare though as I know each is unique and develops at their own rate. So hard not to though.

DS seems to have finally turned a corner and we are getting 3-4 hours between feeds at night and 2-3 hours during the day. Feeds only take on average 20-30 mins and he goes straight back to sleep during the night. It was taking up to an hour to settle him this time last week and I was going nutty.

He's usually awake for a good hour in the morning (happily) and about 2 in the late arvo (usually unhappily). I feel like things are improving though.

DD is interesting though and has just started becoming destructive and demanding during feeding times. She tears around the house, opening the fridge, cupboards, emptying drawers in her room and basically begging for attention. I've tried encouraging her help me do puzzles, read with her and any other positive activity she is interested in at the time. Play school DVD's work well but I don't like to put that on more than once or twice a day. Interestingly she shows some jealousy towards DS whenever I get the camera out.....even though we take plenty of photos of her too. Anyone else experiencing similar. BTW she is just divine towards DS most other times, wanting to hold him, kissing, hugging etc. Could be that stage as well....with the 2nd birthday coming in 2 weeks time. ??????

Hope that rain stops for all you Qld'rs soon. Sounds terrible.

My washing machine has been out of action for 1 week now. Hoping it's fixed soon as hoofing washing to my MIL's is not my idea of fun. There are at least 4 loads waiting now, and I'm running out of clothes for DS.

We're heading to the dr for needles next wk (at 6 wks due to the whooping cough issue atm) and then I have my postnatal appt in 2 wks time. sorry if it's tmi - but we dtd about a week ago and I swear things feel better than they did before DS arrived. Yay!!!

I just realised yesterday that I no longer have a newborn (how quickly they grow) when I saw a baby smaller than DS. Awwww. Trying to get as many pics as I can while he's still so small. Pity DD won't stay still with him for a beautiful photo. Might wait until DS is a little older to have a few professional photos done.

Hope everyone is enjoying their bubs. Sorry about my blabbering - must get out a little more and talk to some real people.

Nell, it is great to hear that things are improving for you. I completely understand your toddler troubles. Sometimes I really would just like to give him away, and then he is nice again and I feel bad for thinking it. My biggest issue is the kitchen atm, the gate doesn't keep him out anymore and he keeps helping himself to yoghurts and biscuits. And the volume of his tantrums. I am not bothered so much by the tantrum itself, it just hurts my ears.
    The sun is out today so we have been able to go outside and run around. He is much better after outside time. We have been watching far too many videos lately!

I have done 4 loads of washing this morning and added them to the washing that is still on the line from Tuesday. I am really hoping it all dries or we will have nothing to wear... I am still rather short on clothes that fit.
    I think having a broken machine would be just as bad. I remember the days of visiting laundromats... I really don't miss them!

OMG wet clothes... Oskar has had some clothes on the line (under cover) for 2 days and they're still wet!! I had to squish some other clothes on as well cos Andy needs some for work cos he's going away Sunday until Wed. Blah hope they dry!

Nell, sounds like things are settling down I think that's why they say the first 6 wks are the hardest, everyone getting used to each other and it all changes so quickly when they're that small, they feed so often at first it's just crazy! Oskar goes nuts sometimes, but usually after his bath. There's certainly truth to the "terrible twos" so don't feel alone! I've been just ignoring and picking my battles. Oskar gets too over affectionate with Elijah and headbutts or squashes him. *sighs* I try to explain to him being gentle but they just don't get it at 2 yrs old! Everything is full on or nothing..lol. A friend of mine told me that so long as they're still alive at the end of the day then it's a good day!

Hi everyone,

Sorry I have hardly posted in here!! Going pretty well here. Feeding is going well and little mr is putting in heaps of weight and going well.

Often during the day I'll settle Spencer to sleep and then put him down and he wakes up straight away and I'll spend the whole time before the next feed re-settling him and trying to put him down again, anyone else experiencing this or have any advice?

Jas, sometimes I think no matter what you do that they do this. There are times when Elijah is happy enough to go off to sleep himself but there are PLENTY of times when he just wants to sleep on me and if I put him down he's not playing the sleeping game until I pick him up again.

LOL Cass, I think I will make that my motto. We have lots of good days since Edward was born! I have definitely been picking my battles, I know DH wonders why I don't get madder about things in the evenings but I really would just be yelling at Byron all day sometimes and that isn't good for anyone. I am pretty sure that the more I yell the worse he gets anyway.

Jas!! Are those boys keeping you extra busy? It has been ages.
    I generally only get 1 decent sleep out of Edward during the day, the rest of the time he sleeps briefly in my arms or in his bouncer. If he really won't settle when I put him down then I either strap him in the hug a bub or feed him lying down in bed with me and we both have a nap while Byron does.

And Nell... I didn't congratulate you on DTD. I am sure that your ob will very very happy with you. I am pleased that it is better than last time. I am finding it a bit painful, but I guess it will get better over time.

Most of my clothes are dry!! About another hour of sun for the rest to get there too.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast