Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2006 #20

Hi all.

I sat down yesterday and wrote a big long post and when I went to post it I lost everything coz they were running an upgrade! How annoying...anyway, I'll try and remember what I wrote.

Becky, I'm hearing you on the sleeping. I had nearly 3 years of it with Janae and about 10 months with Josiah. Thankfully they are sleeping well now, but not without our fair share of dramas. I'll tell you the advice that I was given - by my dad of all people - that turned out to be the best advice I got with regards to my kids and their sleeping. Do you know why Declan is waking? Is it for a bottle, or just to be with someone? Basically, what I learnt to do with my kids is get up to them once to make sure there is nothing wrong, ie change nappy, give them a drink, dummy, burp(not so much now, but still an occasional one in our house) once you have eliminated all the usual suspects then there really is nothing else you can do for them, so put them in bed, say goodnight and leave them room. They will cry for a while (sometimes a very long while ) but they will eventually get the hint that you're not coming in just to sit with them. We put it off for so long with Janae because we were expecting weeks and weeks of screaming, but in the end it took 3 nights. Josiah took a bit longer because he's a stubborn little thing, but he doesn't expect us to sit with him all night anymore. I know it's not the most popular option (epecially round these forums!) but for the sake of sleep and sanity sometimes it has to be done. As I said, rule out any real needs first, and then you really can't do anymore for them. Yes it's hard to listen to them cry, and as a mum we can think of a million reasons why they could be crying, but at the end of the day you can't live on no sleep, and it's not doing them any harm really. My kids still know I love them, they still get plenty of affection from me, and they are not emotionally scarred from letting them cry. To be honest if anything our home is happier because we are all sleeping better. Obviously, there are exceptions when bubs is sick, teething etc, but these are exceptions, not the rule.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth, not that you asked for it, but I really feel for you living on so little sleep because I know what it's like. Hope you can resolve things soon.

I should really get back to work. Speak soon

Bel

abs Guest

hi all... really quicky...

Welcome Jess - I'm the token male in here, Jen isn't much into forums and the lovely girls here made me feel really welcome whilst "we" were all still pregnant

Jordy's nappy rash cleared up nicely with a bit of TLC, and to Theresa and Jac, yes Jen is planning on selling her business - be a SAHM mum for a while, and when Jordy is looking at going to Kindy etc, she has sooo many ideas, she'll be working again in no time flat

Other news from here, weve pulled Jordy out of Day care - he was always getting sick from there. Lining him up with a thing called Family Day Care. Tis run by some christian mob, but they have mums who look after a couple of kids. All registered and stuff but is much better than a centre with say 60kids from 0-5 etc

Um, and our munchkin is now every day waking at 4.30-5, and doesn't go back to sleep til anywhere from 7-9.30am. Though this morning he went back down at 8.45 and woke at 12.05pm !! Little bugger. He's now completely refreshed and we are zombies

Hope the rest are well, really busy here, so gotta go

good to hear from you abs. I'm sure Jordy will love family day care. All my in-laws swear by it - the only reason I'm not sending my kids there too is that I don't want them to spend so much time with their little brat cousins! And you're right, less kids=less chance of catching everything under the sun! Good luck with Jen selling her business too.

my little man had an awesome sleep last night. Went to bed about 7.30, straight to sleep and didn't stir until 7.15, and that was even after we opened his door and made some noise! His bed time has been 6.30 up until now, but if he's going to sleep that well, I think I might make it later!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Bel

Oh yeah, 1 more thing - our house is officially on the market - we're building another house YAY!

Hi there
    Sleep - I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get a full night sleep!! Charlie sleeps form 7.30pm till about 7.30-8am its great - but i did have to do the crying thing like Bel said - He used to wake up if his dummy fell out and that was the only reason so i just had to let him cry. it was hard - but it worked for me. might not work for others though.

Bel - Yeah on the house!!!

Thunder & Lightning -
    we have had rain here for 5 days straight and not just light rain i'm talking pouring rain - its freezing - 9 degrees outside at the moment!!! But my story was - Our dog hates the thunder and lightning when i was at work the other day the lightning and thunder was really back and she actually went crazy - she ate the chicken wire to get into the shed but whilst eating it she got 8 or nine pieces of metal stuck up in the roof or her mouth in her hard pallett - then she had been scrapping at the ground that much that she has no toe nail and she has cut her face and has 15 stitches in it - so i got her out of the vet on friday ($500 later!!!!) and she ran away yeasterday!!!!! [email protected]@dy dog!!! luckily she was found today. Why are animals so scared of thunder and lightning???

I have tried the crying thing but Declan just doesn't stop I and I draw the line when we are getting close to an 30-60mins I can't handle it any longer

abs Guest

almost no crying here - he just chats away to himself, but by 4.30, his nappy is usually pretty wet, and when he cops sight of the bottle, he lets you know he wants it

sometimes we can get him back to sleep, often can't - as usually about an hour later there's this grunting sound coming through the monitor - and yep, 5 mins later, a decent poo filled nappy... noone in their right (straight) mind would want to go back to sleep with that

We've also had a change in daytime sleep patterns. First back to sleep is still 2.5hrs on the dot of waking (if we can guess when that actually might be) - but afternoon nap has been a real struggle. We were trying to do the 2.5hr trick again, but rarely worked

Now we just wait for the first glimmer of tiredness - and he starts his I wanna go to sleep noises/motions as soon as we lying him down to put him in his gro-bag/change his nappy - and off to ZZZzzzZZZzzz land within a few minutes

And we still have him in bed by 6.30 - he just starts zonking out about 6 - we now read him his books in his room, and do the last bottle in there too. Stops any distractions etc downstairs in the lounge

And also eating - he is getting really fussy now. Vegemite sandwiches and milk with sometimes puree/youghurt. Can almost forget about anything else - arggghhh. Any ideas on coping with fussy eaters ?

Becky - I'm hearing you on the drawing the line at an hour - i wouldn't of been able to handle it for that long!!! hope it gets better soon.
    Charlie woke this morning at 6.10am but luckily went back to bed from 7.00 to 9.30

Abs - I have no ideas with a fussy eater sorry - but i can imagine charlie will be up to that stage soon!!!!

Charlie has started running everywere - its crazy he gets the speed wobbles up and falls over.. very funny!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Oh thank god Charlie isn't the only fussy one, abs! I was just coming in here to post about it. He's gone from a food monster to Mr Fussy overnight, it feels like. I can get him to take yoghurt, some cereal, porridge and milk regularly, but just about nothing else. I sometimes get lucky and he'll want whatever I'm eating, but other than that, he just refuses most things these days. I am being driven mad.

Sleep: He's started waking up at 6am lately (after sleeping all night). Lucky he'll lie in bed with us until 7am if he gets his bottle, but I am starting to wonder how I ever survived when he was waking 3-4 times a night!

Walking: someone said that their bub has gone back to crawling after learning to stand unaided, and this has happened to Charlie too! He seems to have lost interest in trying to walk, esp after his hospital stay and the gastro he got after. I think being carried everywhere has made him regress! Lol!

Hope everyone is well. I can't believe how quiet this thread has now become, but I guess most baby buddy threads slow down once the bubs all hit 1yo.

abs Guest

Just slowed for me due to being busy Sushee..

Jac, when did Charlie start walking - last I heard he was still crawling. Don't remember seeing he was upright now. Jordy has pretty much mastered the speed wobbles, and is now wanting to go up and down steps - he's been climbing the stairs for ages (with a couple of slipups)... but single steps, espcially down it, is umm interesting

Good to hear we are not alone Sushee on the Mr Fussy Boots, well not really good We might move the main meal for him to lunch rather than dinner as he would eat his lunch better than his dinner

SLeep: again, up at 5am - wouldn't go back to sleep... finally just after 8.30 he zonked out, and its now nearly 11am and he is still horizontal - grrrrrrrrrr. And has such a rumbly chest - Jen and he are off to the doctor at 11.45 for another checkup - she's not any better, I just have a little couch and plenty of phlegm

Hi everone,

Another fussy eater here, at the moment we spit out EVERYTHING. If we liked it yesterday that doesn't matter, today it is getting spat out... I have tried a million different things and the only thing he really likes to eat is fillet steak that is $45kg!!

Well I don't know what was going on with Tyron last night, he didn't go to sleep until 3:30 this morning, he was awake since 1 yesterday afternoon, 14 hours later he is still awake and wanting to play!

Jacci - I think the thunder is extremely loud to dogs as their hearing is so sensistive and also because they can;t see something to associate the noise with it is frightening!!

Sushee - Tyron is regressing as well, he seems to quite content with crawling, not interested in trying to walk at all.

Hi to everyone else.

Morning!

Fussy eaters - Josiah thankfully isn't one, but we have gone through a couple of weeks of him not wanting to eat anything. I put it down to a combination of teeth and a sore throat at the time, but vegemite sandwiches were it for more than a few days! I was getting really worried, because he wasn't even wanting his milk, but then he started eating again and is back to normal now. He did lose a bit of weight because of it though.

abs - hope Jen & Jordy are feeling better soon.

Becky - I hear you on drawing the line at an hour, I only lasted half an hour at a time. I think the key is to be consistent with whatever you are doing. Fair enough to only let it go on for so long, but leave it the same length of time every night, don't leave it 30 mins one night and only 5 the next night. But, as Jacci said, you've got to do what works for you. I think we just have stubborn little boys!!!

Hi to everyone else

Bel

hi just wondering if anyones child is chucking temper tantrums we went to see my neice yesterday she is 19 months so she is a little bit older than jess but the whole time we were over there jess screamed because she couldnt have everthing.

abs Guest

fortunately Jordy doesn't know the meaning of the words Jes - sorry

Jess - nope sorry no tantrums here yet, touch wood.

We had to resort to letting Declan cry for a little while when we put him in his cot because he was at the stage of not wanting to go in there and daddy picking him up and bringing him to our room to our bed grr. So as much as I hated it I put my foot down and told him to leave him in the cot he whinged for 5mins but now its down to we put him in the cot he whinges for a min and then it all goes quiet, so hoping this will help him sleep through too fingers are crossed anyways.

So what has everyone been up to and what are your plans for the weekend?

Amy

Oh yes Declan chucks a wobely whenever something is taken from him or he see something he wants and can't get it it is very frustraiting

i hear you becky jess chucks her head back and kicks her legs it started already .

Abs - charlie started walking about a week after turning 1 now its full on!!!!

I'm hearing you on the tantrums!!!! charlie loves playing out the back with the puppy and when i bring him in he screams!! he has learnt if the dog licks his face then he pushes the dog away and then says no! its very cute

Jacci - yes its flying to the point that I'm 17 weeks shortly and booking my 2nd u/s and haven't even had a chance to think about it! It's good though cause I really just want it here so that I can deal with the 1st 6 months and get into the good stuff! like sleep and giggles etc...
    Sleep - I can't comment, my mans a little dream at night, not so great during the day but not complaining as I get a godd nights sleep now.
    Food - Caden tries the fussy thing, we just offer the one thing, take it away and reoffer 5-10 minutes later, so far has worked, hoping it continues otherwise I won't have a clue what to do.
    well that's my 5 minute catch up, good to see you're all doing good,
    congrats on the house Bel, what fun and I mean it, I love building our house, good luck with the approval stuff,
    bye

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast