Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008 #5

What a freakin' day.

First, I burn DS. I heat his morning suit on the heater and of course, put it on him with hot buttons. Idiot. No marks left or anything, just let out a huge scream and I suddenly knew why. I felt like a major horse's a$$. Then, I spent two hours trying to get him to nap (after his initial half hour)! I came out of the room dying for a break and handed DS to DH and DS picked up on my frustration and had a sobbing fit. I, again, felt like a horse's shwatzit. Then, I accidentally smashed his face on my shoulder during a burping session. Insert horses behind pic here.

Woot. Mother of the year award for me.

DH seems to have the magic touch with him, and on days like today, I swear he just wants to be with DH and I wonder what I'm doing here at all. Things were going so well, and typical of babies, it's all gone ferbowitz.

I had to swaddle him last night to stop him scratching his head. I had never swaddled him before because we cosleep and he is kinda wedged with that anyway, and for other sleeps he is on someone or on his tummy. I am afraid to think it but it may be eczema on his head. I have given up dairy again, as DD is allergic chances are good he is too. She had eczema but really badly cos of the formula. I hope BFing keeps his mild if that's what it is.

Anyone interested, I got the NCSS book and it's great. Or did I mention that? I can't check the other thread due to terminal laziness.

Today I put the HaB on while topless and him in only a nappy so we had skin to skin contact. At least I did something good.

Can't finish this post without mentioning your list though, Groobs. Jeebus. If I got ONE of those things done I'd think I was a Goddess.

Howdy!

Sorry I've been MIA for a few days - been busy and every time I get a chance to get on here to read the posts, I get interrupted with crying baby! It's just too hard to post single handed - as a typist, I get VERY frustrated one-handed!

Liam is now 4.95 kgs and 58 cms long. Still waiting for the magical 5 kg mark - oh well, hopefully next week!

DH was a sweetie on Monday and bought me a saucepan set that I was hinting about. Our local kitchen shop had a big sale on and the set was 20% off - we saved $70!! But that meant that I had to clean out the kitchen cupboards to fit them in (those of you in the early April 'due' baby buddies group will remember me lamenting about those cupboards needing a clean out!). Well, last night I finally got to clean out the cupboards and it feels fantastic! All the saucepans fit brilliantly and I can't wait to do some cooking so I can try them out! Sad, aren't I?

Steph: I reckon I'll try that recipe! Give me a chance to use my new saucepans! How long does the stuff last once made up?

Ness - good for you telling the MCHN nurse what for... We're tired of being told off for holding him till he goes to sleep. It works for us, and besides he can't settle himself yet and because of the cleft palate, he can't hold his own dummy in. It's easier for us to hold hm in our arms with the dummy in until he's asleep rather than put him to bed and sit next to him holding in the dummy.... *pfft* to those stupid so-called 'professionals'!!

Grubi - Well done on the busy day of chores and the talk with DH. I'm proud of you!

Sharon - welcome back! Hope the 'happy pills' and counselling get you back on track and you're back to your old self soon...

BW - We're useless at keeping a routine too! We try to get out of the house every day for a walk, other than that - it's 'fly by the seat of our pants'. Doesn't even get a shower every day (Liam that is, I get one!) Well done on BJ's weight gain too! Liam's been in 000's for a few weeks now and he's under that (but the same length) - wonder if we use different brands of clothes? Liam's got big feet though and that's one reason we moved up to 000's...

We still haven't put the cot together, but am hoping for a chance to do this tonight. However we're both pretty tired so it will depend on Liam getting to sleep early and easily! DH stayed up all night last night (just couldn't sleep!) so he did all the feeds up until 8 am when I got up! But because of the cupboard cleaning until about 11pm last night, it wasn't as much sleep as it sounds like! After all the cleaning, I then had to shower, express and clean up before bed so I was up until after midnight anyway! Here's hoping for an earlier night tonight!

to everyone. Hopefully I can post again before long (not a week like last time!).

Just a quick post whilst feeding before making dinner.

Today was not as productive:
    Did dishes, grocery shopping, eat lunch, mothers group and that was it. No Goddess day today
    At mothers group MCHN talked about research saying girls are more likely to be influenced by characters and logos than boys and they will fully recognise and want them by 2. More poppyc0ck if you ask me. My DS has full recognition and desire for certain characters and logos - basically if it isn't super hero like forget it. Where do they get this stuff from anyway? Anyway my quick post point was going to be that if i didn't have DS I probably would take what they say as gospel - I feel for 1st time mums that are told to dp things in a certain way and because they know no better they blindly do as these so called professionals tell them to. Today they told us to try and avoid having the TV on around our baby girls.

[email protected] day here!!!!

just cant get MJ to settle, thought maybe she was hungry but i felt so drained.. so tured some formula and nope she had 50ml threw up and still screamed.

Screaming again

Well...we've made a discovery about our little fella!
    He has a little tummy that empties fast!
    Twice today I've put him down after a feed(which ended when he kept spitting the bottle out) and had him crack a tanty, only to sit in the rocker with him and have him down another 60-100ml of formula (after the initial 170ish).
    So we've decided that when we put him down, if he requires his dummy to be oput in twice, we'll get him up and feed him!
    Next week we have nothing on except wednesday (which is basically a full day) so we will try for a routine then...
    Also think he's teething...the random red cheeks (on a side he hasn't slept on), the extra drooling, and the eating of his hand suggest as much...NOOOOOO!!! I don't want my baby to have teeth yet....I'm not emotionally ready for him to be THAT grown up!

Wow my boy seems huge when you all post your weights

he was 5.65 and 60 cm at his 8 week injections and that was several weekas ago and he hasnt slowed down on the growth.

he had a really bad night we ended up sleeping on the couch from 12 - 4 as not to wake Dp as he was very restless and having trouble breathing. snotty nose and phelmy throat. decided to give him some panadol to see if it would help and he chucked the phelm panadol and feed back up and went back to sleep. i did pull him into bed when dp got up at 5:30 and we slept till 8.

hes also due for a poo and his farts really stink so the all night farting did not help the situation and if it wasnt the force of ushing them out i am sure the smell would have woken him.

as for house work Tueseday is my most productive day and WEd is the worst for trashing the place.

We have such a full weekend to the point we may have to skip some people.
    supposed to be attending
    my bro GF B'day frinight
    my gradfathers 70th saturday
    a 21st in the city and a going away oparty on the north of bris(we live south of river) saturday night

not to mention would really like to get the back yard cleaned up so when the next lot of rain hits we will be able to put down more grass seed.

i am so proud of DP. he went out for origin last night and for the first time , didnt drink and came home after the game at his own discrimination and was home at the begining of the 2nd half . so so proud of him for being so responisible.

what is it with bad nights, last night we had one too. although, turns out ds has chicken pox. I hope it stays mild.

The H on my computer has had it. I keep having to hit it twice as hard or I have to go back and edit in all the H's.

Hey all,

quick personals...

shellbell: who on here doesn't have there hands full? It's just a matter on how we juggle or hold on to them, is how I cope.

Sharon: Not sure how big Wyatt is now, he was ment to have another check up at the clinic but forgot. Last time he was 58 long and 5.5kg i think... He's got about 2-3 weeks top left in his bassinette, before I have to change him over.
    * I don't want to move him out of our room just yet, his too tiny. DH did say we can change our room around to make cot fit next to me, but I need to start putting more effort in with DH.
    * I hope you are feeling/coping better...

Grubi: You list sounds like mine, but what you forgot to write was when at end repeat again.

**RANT AHEAD***
    It's been really chilli and windy here over the last few days. House fire on every day. When I take Wyatt out to put in car his is gasping for air. You know what they are like when we breath on them they take that extra breath. Anyway walking down street yesterday, all rugged up, DS had winter jacket, binnie and gloves on, Wyatt in pram wrapped up in 2 blankets and in sleeping bag, with rain cover over top. I saw this young mum all rugged up in ripcurl gear (17) pushing her 4-6 month old baby in stroller with not blanket on, no cover either. Baby just in normal jumper and pants, so I stopped her and asked her if she was warm, she said yes. My reply was well maybe you think about your child instead of speading so much on your self. Ge I felt mean, but god sake I am sick to death of people who don't rug up these poor little babies.

When Wyatt in Ergo I wear DH jacket, 'cos it goes around the two of us. And I know he will be warm. But am going to buy him a Snug as a Bug blanket to wear over all his clothes just for my peice of mind. I would rather warmth over fashion anyday.

Sorry just had to get off chest. DH told me to mind own business, so had to vent he doesn't see my point of view.

Does anyone else use a Snug as a Bug blanket ? Are they good? What size are you using? I'm getting Wyatt a 00 it will bit bigger but he will grown into shortly.

Cheers
    Sarah
    Last edited by sarah_dobbo2; July 3rd, 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Sarah I agree with you.
    I still go to my old work (child care centre) a bit and we have some parents there who just have no clue.
    6 month old baby (its about 17 in melbourne today) in trackie pants and a long sleeve t-shirt...no singlet, no socks, no blanket.
    Then theres BJ, singlet, long sleeve body suit (the button between the legs style), grow suit (if it has feet I put socks over, if no feet he wears a pair of bonds leggings with feet in them underneath), a cardi or jacket, hat if the cardi or the jacket doesnt have a hood, mittens, and a blanket (usually pulled up over his head for the transfer from car to inside (cause of the wind taking his breath away!)

And I get grumpy with myself if he runs out of long sleeve body suits and has to wear a short sleeved one!
    If he's wearing trackies, he has leggings under, and a long sleeve t-shirt on top of singlet and body suit (then jumper or jacket etc).

I HATE being cold so I make sure he isn't either!

Sarah - whilst I see your point and agree , I get really peeved by old - grandma/grandpas that stop me in the shopping centre and ask where DD's hat is because it is cold. It is warm enough outside for me to be wearing just a lightweight long sleeved t-shirt and I have her in three layers, singlet, jumpsuit, pants and jumper, besides we are inside and DD hates her hats on, so I only use them outside when it is cold under 20 degrees.

Fire We too had a bad night, though I think it was mainly me with a snuffly nose and sore back. I took note of times a little last night as we had our first night sleep in the cot . Well partially it went like this:

8.30pm asleep in cot
    10.54pm feed then slept in with me until 1.52am
    1.54am transferred to cot - noisey sleeping -kept me awake
    3.27am feed decided I'd get more sleep with her in bed
    6.21 am feed - not sure she needed that feed
    8.15am feed again.
    9.06am fallen asleep by herself after being changed put down and had a little grizzle
    So tonight going to try to put her back in her cot after feeds unless I fall asleep before she finishes.

Hope all having crap days get an improvement soon to all of you that need it.
    I'm off to help out at work today with end of financial year, so no long productive list today either.
    Last edited by alittlegrubi; July 3rd, 2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: more routine

sarah I know what you mean!!! The reality for us is though while I only dress him in double layers he has lambswool inserts in his pram and 2 blankets and a wind shield. I generally only take him indoor places so I try to have easy to remove layers!

Zennie I know what you mean about their size. Luke was 5.48kg and 61cm at 6weeks and 7.2kg and 63cm at 10 weeks - crazy stuff.

Luke has been having a crappy day. I think he has a bit of a cold. Gave him some panadol and he improved heaps and is finally having a sleep after self settling! Tried putting him down fully awake this time. Usually I rock him but he generally cries while I do it. He cried a bit in his cot, but I kept going in with his dummy and he put himself to sleep (albeit with his dummy) in 15 mins - yay!

Sprouted a few more pox throughout the day, but not too bad all round. He is very clingy and whingey though. Hardly awake all day other than to tell me how woeful life is. Had a couple of nice long comfort feeds so I got to read a little.

I feel like my boobs are soft and empty. I'm so used to that hard, full feeling that it's freaking me out. And DS can comfort feed easily. I wonder if this is just how an established supply feels or if I need some tea? I'm drinking the tea anyway, just in case. I hope I don't mess it up.

Dh is cooking something wonderful that encompasses roast fennel and lamb. Wow, he's gotten so good in the kitchen since it's been his job!

Hi all

Just thought I would update after Baxter's paed and lactation appt on Tuesday.

LC was very pleased with me, she said lots of women would have given up on BF'ing by now, so feeling very proud of myself! She said Baxter is just a fussy feeder and that I am doing a great job. He has 7 BF's a day, plus 1 x 50ml FF at midday, then 1 x 150ml FF feed before he goes to bed at night, of which he sleeps from 10.30pm until 7.30am. DH brings him into our bed in the morning for a cuddle before he goes to work. And he always wakes with a smile! He's a morning person like his mum.

Paed also very happy, doesn't want to see him again unless there are crappy weight gains. He put on 165gms this week, much better than the 70gms from last week, although he is only 4.680kgs (in 10th percentile), he is 61cms, so has grown 10cms in 12 weeks (50th percentile for length).

Paed said we could start solids at 4 months if we wanted, but I'm not fussed on that. Baxter will show us when he is ready so will leave it for a long while I think.

Still on the Motilium, too scared to wean myself off until he has constant weight gains.

I finally feel at peace with Baxter's weight, truth is he is a happy little boy, just long and lean!

Had a lovely couple of days in Perth with my Mum. DH went to Adelaide for work so spent time shopping (buying cute outfits for Baxter!) and coffee-ing.

Fire - I only feel engorged in the morning, and yes, soft boobs do not indicate a poor supply, quite the opposite. Hope Ci's pox clears up soon.

SG
    xo

PS - I lost 1.2kgs this week, woo hoo!

Wow my boyo can put away the food!
    He just had 270ml of formula between 6:15 and 7:40!!! I can't believe it!!!

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Gah
    Im back, sorry, missing, again.
    Everything seems to be going okay for me now. We seem to have figured out how to get Isabell to sleep minus all the fuss and tears. Its great. Hopefully it works for a lot longer. I think it will.
    Got my first AF. I thought i had it a few weeks back, but apparently not, it only was spotting for one day.
    I went to a naturopath on tuesday, been having issues with my skin, pretty much everything under the moon is wrong with my skin, was making me sad. So she has put me on this ferral tasting chinese powdery stuff. But if it does the job then im all for it.
    Hoping your all well. Whats this chat night ive heard about??

On the issue of dressing babies warm, I have always dressed Oliver (and my other boys) similar to me, so if i'm cold and need a few extra layers, then I know he will too, and vice versa for the summer time, however if it is windy outside he will always have a blanket. Oliver doesn't get his breath taken away when wind blows in his face, in fact when I blow onto his face he smiles big gummy smiles.

Oliver has taken to waking up at around 5am-5.30am every morning, not because he is hungy, but because he's had enough sleep because as soon as I go into his room he gives me big smiles and he doesn't usually have his bottle until he's been up about 1/2 an hour, now I really wouldn't mind this too much if he was to go back to sleep for another 2-3 hours but he doesn't, he only goes back to sleep for an hour then he's awake again and all he does for the rest of the day is catnap, it's driving me insane!

Sorry for no personals have to go and give Oliver his 'sneaky feed'

Meg, how do you get Isabelle to sleep without the tears? We've cut ours in half but some days he still wants to cry before he sleeps.

Ci still startles at the wind, being on his back, pretty much all the newborn stuff. He's a startlepuss, big time. I thought DD was sensitive, I think she's been beaten by this one.

Good to know soft boobs are ok. I figure it's my supply evening out. Weird though. When I can't remember which boob was last (which is most of the time) I can't cop a feel now and figure it out! I'll have to take to using pins or those tag things that help you keep track. But it's no use when I'm not using a bra. I'm putting him on more often anyway so both sides are pretty even most of the time. I don't wake engorged though cos he really drains 'em overnight. The morning is my most lean time, with supply building towards evening.

Dose anyone have any suggestions for easing congestion. Russell has phelm and a chesty cough and its waking him up at night.

meedless to say after weeks of 8 hour nights im beat today

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast