Thread: Babies Born April 2008 #5

Default Babies Born April 2008 #5

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in April 2008

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Astrolady ~ Administrator
    Trillian ~ Senior Moderator
    Dachlostar ~ Senior Moderator
    MistyFying

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Your previous thread can be found http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/your...-2008-4-a.html

Dear all, this is just FYI re the BB Links Policy:

Allowed links are as follows:

* Youtube - unless promoting a product
    * News sites, like ABC, Herald Sun, the Australian etc
    * Support sites - like the ABA, spinning babies, loss websites, depression sites and so on
    * Studies - anything published in the media or a medical site which has published a study.
    * Educational sites - like wikipedia
    * BellyBelly articles or threads etc.
    * Usual links as already allowed - blogs, photo albums etc.

Links you cannot post are links to products, online stores, ebay etc as per usual.

Those posting links to events and research still need to seek moderator permission first, no matter what the cause, we need to have one rule for everyone. So please seek permission before posting a request for study participants, research, events and other things which do not fit into the above allowed categories.

Infractions (or warnings) will be issued should these guidelines be breeched.

Hi ladies, I am finally back online after a week in QLD visiting my nan. It was so lovely to be able to introduce Luke to her. He was amazing on the plane - slept the whole time through changeovers and everything and then such a trooper on the 12 hour drive home. He has also started sleeping from 8/9pm until 5 -6am which is awesome... I am loving it! He is however quite grumpy in the afternoons.

I am, sadly, returning to work full time next Monday. I knew all along that I only had 11 weeks (thanks so much to the unpaid maternity leave scheme in australia - but I won't go ranting on that again!) but I thought that Luke would be bigger somehow, or more aware - i don'tthink I am explaining myself well. Anyway, I had managed to talk myself into the scenario that Luke would be fine and his grandmother (my MIL) would be able to look after him in the same way that I would.... and then DH takes Luke to his folks place yesterday afternoon and comes home with a screaming Luke and relayed his families concerns that Luke isn't eating enough and needs solids and/or formula. Lets keep in mind that Luke sleeps really well at night and weighes about 6.8 - 7 kg's - he is really quite big. I felt so undermined and upset that I had a minor melt down and starting thinking that I wouldn't be able to keep BF'ing him. This in turn made me angry as I have been so upset about how my labour eventuated I have been consoling myself with the fact that I have been able to BF my big boy without ANY problems. I do appreciate that Luke is a big bub and it si possible that BF'ing won't work with me working full time, but to be told what to do by people who have had very little to odo with him really rubbed me up the wrong way...

... and that is my rant for today.

I hope everyone else is doing well.
    Last edited by shellbell; June 30th, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Michelle- I know how you feel about being undermined by ILs. You're quite right to be proud that you breastfed Luke so well with so little problems, he sounds like he's doing perfectly with being so big and sleeping so well. Maybe sit down with MIL and be very firm with her about how he's to be looked after (i.e. ebm only) because he is your son and you know what is best for him. There's nothing wrong with that. It sucks to have to leave him, but at least he'll have heaps of 1 on 1 contact with someone who loves him. Its better than being one baby in twenty looked after by some person.

Janine- Woohoo for getting some sort of sleeping! I hope it lasts for you. And you know... I usually sleep Lila on her tummy. I know its so frowned upon but that's what works and anyway MIL and Mom did it so whatevs.... Also, what do you mean by "milk bank"? And I'm pretty inclined to ignore the loans except it just feels like the wrong thing to do and I have this huge fear that it might somehow queer my bid for permanent residency or citizenship.

Sarah- That's fantastic about getting so much done, its such a good feeling. I generally keep the house decent and my man fed, but its always in such little chunks. I wish I could get it all done in one whack like that.

Been good here. Lila sometimes won't go in her sling anymore, i need to work out one of the other ways to wear it. Made some apple butter today because I mentioned it the other day to DH and the poor thing had never heard of it. Mmmmmm. And made a huge pot of Chili. Yum. And the washing is up to date and I got a nap. Lila's still sleeping like 9 hours a night, last night I actually had the energy to stay up a bit with DH and be the girl he married. She's down to only having maybe one bottle of EBM a day, its sooo much less work. So everything is boring and good.

Michelle, that sucks. Your son is gaining massively, are they out of their minds? Are your ILs going to be minding him when you go back to work? With your obvious grand bfing prowess, I'd say you'll manage no worries at being a pumping working mum! The proof is in the pudding, let them poo poo and you just show them you can do it. My mother was a 50's mother, back when cow's milk was given instead of bm (not formula), and there were rarely reactions (better milk, I guess) and little to no research done on anything. So that generation really doesn't understand our determination to bfeed. All that mattered back then is "sleeping through the night" and if solids or cows milk did it, then they did it. So they seem to fall back to that advice for every baby ail - "He has gas? oh, he needs solids... Can't read yet? He needs formula...whaddaya mean she's still in nappies at three months old! She needs a good dose of goat's milk..." Seems food solves all their problems (kinda explains a lot, eh).

Steph, WOW about your sleeping babe. I'd take your apple butter recipe if you were up for sharing it, and as for chili, how does Lila go after you eat it? I'm worried about eating curry (my favourite), but I wanna I wanna I wanna. re milk bank, I was so engorged I had to pump and got 60mls in five minutes so I froze it. My own little milk bank. I'm kinda excited about building up a milk bank in the freezer. I also think, for emergencies should I be unavailable for some reason, that DH should have something to feed DS. I also plan on getting him to let me sleep through a feed if I'm totally wrecked (let us pray it doesn't come to that). So yeah, milk bank. 'xcitin' stuff. FWIW, residency here is a cinch. They barely check anything really. DH had a medical and showed police records from one of the states he lived in. Where as I was all but anally probed in the States for my residency. It was a nightmare (michigan). I refused to be vaccinated which didn't help. But yeah, I think you'll be fine. Not that I'm advocating running on a loan (who, me?) but just advocating less stress on your behalf, and don't knock yourself out or miss more time with bub than you need to just for that. I think they just like to know you aren't a criminal or otherwise up to no good.

Ci had a MAJOR breakdown today. Cried harder than he ever has, almost lost his voice. Just woke up screaming, and it's not the first time. Weird, can't figure it out. Took half an hour to calm him.

Fire LOL - you are so right!! Even my mum - who is very suportive - keeps asking "why can't you give them cow's milk at 6 months?". Theory seems to be that we survived so it musthave been OK. Yes, my MIL will be minding Luke everyday that I am at work unless DH has weekend rostering and has days off during the week. My folks live an hour away and would have come over once a fortnight for few days but they are leaving for a 9 week OS holiday next friday (Canada, Alaska, Europe -not jealous at all!). I kee telling myself that it will be OK, but DH refuses to tell his mum exactly what we (I) want so it will probably fall to me to have that conversation. Yay for your milk bank. It is awesome to be able to get DH to feed Luke and give me a break.

Steph Yeah, I came to the same conclusion that at least he will be with family and have consistency of care. My MIL did the same with SIL's 3 children so she is pretty adept at looking after little ones, only real difference is that SIL didn't BF any of them. Will have to be quite firm.

Luke is a trooper! Spent all day yesterday stressing about whether he was getting enough to eat and wondering if I should comp feed him with EBM (I have about 3.5 litres in the freezer) but decided just to feed him as usual and see what happened. Put him down at 7.15pm and he woke briefly at 5am (had his arm jammed in the cot bars and after I fixed him up and went to put some warm clothes on to feed him he was asleep again) and then woke up hungry as a hippo at 7am. He fed lots and lots and went down again at about 8.45am. Pooey to those who think he is starving. We are off to the MCHN today so looking forward to seeing how big he is.

Janine- No idea why/how she sleeps through the night so well, I just count my blessings and hope it lasts. I thought maybe you were talking about milk donation with the "bank," I see what you mean now. I need to get some containers to freeze milk in, I make heaps but juggling boobie/bottle has made my supply weird so I'm trying NOT to pump so things even out. As for immigration, I was so embarrassed when DH was DF and came to the US for a visit and was fingerprinted and photographed and interrogated. I've been treated pretty well here, really need to get on the police check and medical thing. Blah.

Apple Butter-
    2 c apple cider or water
    1 kilo apples peeled cored and chopped (I used seven- a few granny smiths, a few pink ladies and a red delicious because thats what I had around)

1/3 c honey
    .5t cloves
    .5t allspice
    1t cinnamon
    Bring water/cider to boiling, chuck in apples. Let simmer covered for 1 hour stirring every so often, til apples are soft. Do not drain, mash the apples or use a mixer to make applesauce. I usually set a little of that aside for making cakes. Then add in the honey and the spices, really its just a guide and you should spice it to taste. Then cook it all down for an hour or two over low heat uncovered until its thick for spreading. Stir it to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom.

As for diet and breastmilk, honestly I haven't paid much mind to what I eat and how it affects her. Obviously I stay away from caffeine except my morning cuppa, and I can't have too much chocolate or she breaks out. I think when I've had cabbage she upchucks more but I like cabbage too much to care. Nothing seems to bother her much, I mean absolutely nothing. I was cutting her nails and took off a little skin and she just sort of meowed and looked at me accusingly. I hope she stays this easygoing since DH and I are planning to travel/work/live overseas with her once he's finished uni...

Michelle- WOW WOW 3.5 L in the freezer? You machine... That will stand you in good stead when you have to go back to work. Good for you not letting other people get in your head when you know you're doing a great job.

Hope everyone else is going along alright....

I just want to come in and say my MJ has hit the 5kg mark!!!!

bit of a whinge though, stupid MCHN had a lecture for me when she asked how she was sleeping and i said well she must sleep well cause she sleeps in with me and she will wake feed herself then go back to sleep and i dont even wake most of the time uless its to roll over so she can change boobs

told me that i shouldnt co sleep etc, i just walked off and said i will do it my way thanks

Shell Doesn't sound like you have any problems with feeding to me. Maybe just tell you MIL that he is in the 75th percentile of weight for his age (or whatever it actually is) and that as long as he is gaining 150gms a week the MCHN says he is doing wonderfully. You are going to have to have the conversation as DH's don't tend to know how to communicate with their mother's about childrearing. Maybe even give her some written instructions. Politely say this is how I'd like it to be for a week and then ask for her feedback on how it went. Each time she suggests something different just tell her that things have changed since she was a mother, generally for the worse and research indicates your way - even if you don't have the proof at hand. I feel for you having to return to work after 11 weeks. I went back after 4 motnhs with DS and exclusively BF for a further 2 months and continued to BF with part formula during the day for another 2 months and then from 8 months to 14 months I BF when he was with me. Gave up at 14 months because I wanted him not to be dependent on me for night time feeds - he still wasn't sleeping through and it was doing my head in.
    As for me - I'm geting better with this whole thing. Talked at length with DH the other night, explained how I was feeling, said things but prefaced with I'm not saying that I couldn't work out how else to explain my feelings so to listen carefully to what I was saying between the lines... it worked out great. Now that I'm letting the communication occur. I've had a super productive day on my first day with both DS and DD at home I have done more in one day than I was doing all week - at least that is how it seems. DD is sleeping for 1-2 hours in the arvo in her cot . Now to get myself to do the night time cot settle.
    Speaking of which she has just woken - gotta dash.

Grubi: That is great she is sleeping in cot, I haven't set up Wyatt's yet for 2 reason.
    1. We are waiting on out builder to put built-in so each child can have there very own side. Wyatt getting quite a few clothes.
    2. After wardorbes go in we will change kids over boys in bigger room DD in smaller room unless she want to share.
    3. I don't want to let him go into his cot. I'm not that ready for him to grow up.

Anyway DD and DS are fighting so I better go.
    Cheers
    Sarah
    Last edited by sarah_dobbo2; July 1st, 2008 at 05:42 PM.

Sarah - I need to get DD into the cot as I cosleep with DS ATM and three in the bed isn't going to work for much longer as she gets bigger. I'll still be in the same room, just not in the bed with me. I'm hoping that if I get her sleeping in the cot then DS will move to his own bed, we tried that before DD was born and it was working, but I got lazy and gave in to him sleeping with me and I figure when I'm working he only gets me for 2-3 hours a day so why not sleep with me. As much as I want to give to DD the same, I can't have 2 of them sleeping with me for the next 3 years. DD is getting more mummy time anyway as I'm not going back to work as soon with her and I'm going Parttime to begin with when I do return, so she will have lots of Mummy time in her first year. I'll cosleep if she is sick, but do not want her to get the idea that the bed in the nursery is her bed like DS thinks.
    Besides if she doesn't sleep in the cot what a waste of money it will have been.

Ha, Luke was weighed today and came in at 7.2 kgs... he is now off the weight chart... Nurse said that if there was a 100% he would be it... called DH and told him and he said, "yeah that is why I reckon he needs more food". Think we will be having a talk about it tonight! He is a biig boy generally though, he is on the 90th percentile for length and head circumference.

Grubi sounds as though it is getting crowded at your place! Will definately be asking you for tips on BF'ing and working! well done for communicating well - sounds as though you are feeling better about it all.

sarah hey! sounds as though you too have your hands full!

Well Luke is having a spastic and I now have him sitting on my lap - seems the computer is quite fascinating! best go and feed him some more and give him a bath.

Just killed myself, DD in carrier on front and DS piggy backed from the park, an extra 20 plus kilos to carry.
    Both kids are asleep ATM. Have to hold DD a little longer as I tried to put her in the cot but she only lasted 10 minutes .
    Still today I have:

Swept and mopped floors
    Done dishes
    Cleaned the stove
    Put dinner in slow cooker
    Had a shower
    Did a load of washing
    Made all the beds
    Cleaned up the mess DS made
    Went for a walk to shops with both kids
    Bought fruit and veg from Coles
    Made Icing and put on Milk Arrowroot Biscuits with DS
    Had Lunch with DS
    Re swept floors
    Hung out washing
    Emails to DH, Ebay check, Belly posts
    Re mopped the floors
    Folded and put away half the washing
    Went to the park
    Started chopping up vegies for dinner
    And both kids are still unscathed, no growling Mummy at all today.
    I'm proud of myself

just quickly popping in to let you know I am still around.

I finally went to Dr's today, I promised DH and BF that if I wasn't feeling better this week that I would. I have been given a referral for counselling and some 'happy pills'

shellbell I would be stressing if I had to go back to work so soon but we all have to do what needs to be done as for your MIL looking after Luke, just make sure you have written instructions for her to follow, and like someone else said, ask her how things worked out at the end of the week. Good luck hun.
    bellelass glad to hear that things are going well for you guys, it's nice to be 'boring' sometimes
    Beatrix yay to the weight gain, and good on you for speaking your mind.
    alittlegrubi that's great that DD is spending a few hours in her cot every afternoon, she will be in it at night in no time. WOW, you got through heaps today i'm lucky to get 1 thing done every day.
    sarah Oliver has been out of his bassinette for nearly 2 weeks now, he just had no room, thought DS would have been the same. How big is he now? Oliver is 6.5kg and 62cm long.

Hi Guys,
    Just popping in for a quick visit!
    BJ has been eating his fist alot, and has ALOT more dribble....I'm gonna be so upset if he's getting teeth already! My little fella isn't allowed to grow up that fast!

We are attempting to get some sort of routine going on at home at the moment, but everytime I plan to spend the next few days putting it into practise so it "sticks" something comes up and we have to forget all about it! Maybe next week!!

All in all, things are going well here...we decided to give him his arms at sleeptime (instead of wrapping him with them inside the wrap, as he's been eating his hand and we thought we might end up getting rod of the dummy, but his startle reflex kept wakin him up so we've taken his arms away again, and we've jumped from a 45-50 minute sleep (then re-settling himself after losing the dummy every 30 minutes), to 3 hours of solid sleep morning and afternoon!....Im keeping his arms!!
    BJ has been in the Jolly Jumper too...and whilst he's still getting used to it, there is definate enjoyment there!
    Not much else to report...meant to have MCHN tomorrow, but our new car is due for its service so I have to spend the day at the small shopping centre while the kmart tyre and auto guys work their magic...wish it was a bigger shopping centre, the boredom is gonna kill me.
    Meant to have mothers group tomorrow too, but can't get there! Oh well..

Nigh nighs time for me, will try and do personals tomorrow!

Sharon glad to hear that you have gone to see someone. Hope you are feeling better soon. sending big hugs your way. Sounds like Ollie is a big boy too!! yay!

GrubiI had to sit down after reading your list - my goodness you must have been exhausted. .

BW I found the same thing with Luke and his arms. We wrap him loosely then he can still find his fists but the startle doesn't wake him. I find that he needs resettling at the 45min mark and if I can get him back to sleep then, he will stay down for about 3 hours.

Another great night, went down at 7.15 and up at 6.15... we had a quick visit at 2.15 but my boy just wanted his dummy - went back to feed him and he was sound asleep. Loving the good nights sleep. What's the bet that he will start waking for a night feed again next week!

Sorry to have exhausted you Shell - my list covered 10 hours and suprisingly I felt better than when I do very little. I think it was just a concerted effort yesterday not to have a terrible day having both kids at home.
    Sharon - I don't normally achieve that much. Normally it is sweep and mop or do the dishes plus a load of washing on and out to dry.

Fire after reading your post yesterday about the constant offering of the BF and crook of arm cosleeping - I took notice myself last night. I didn't hold DD at all until the early morning feed. I don't have a clock in the room - purposefully, so I can't give times, but of the 5 times I woke between 10pm and 7 am only 3 were necessary for feeds, so 2 overnight really as the third time was close to wake up time anyway - between 6am and 6.30am.

Now just to at least manage to settle her in the cot for her first night time sleep.

Hi all
    Had a MCHN appt today!
    Benjamin is now 5.625kg and 58cm....he's grown 10cm and put on 2.4kg since birth....still not fully fitting into 000 clothes, but almost!!
    Anyways I'm off to re-arrange the loungeroom and then cook roast lamb!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast