Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008 #5

Beatrix I am trying!! I am completely in awe of you though. I think my throat has been cut when DH has a night out and I am home alone with Luke. I know what you mean about the group. I do wonder where a lot of my belly buddies went and I know that I was a bit overwhelmed whn I finally got internet access and could come back on. Hope you are doing OK.

Fire I get severe eczema - my skin has never been as bad as it is since i have been BF'ing. I find that absolutely nothing makes a difference really - not diet not anything. Mine gets worse if I am too warm and the only thing that gives relief is sorbolene cream. My midwife recommended it for luke given my skin and so he has baby oil in his bath and sorbolene after. I also don't bath him everyday so as not to dry his skin out too much.

Sharon Hope you get lots of bids!!

Shoegal I have no idea about stuff like that - already have all of his bottles, so can't see myself spending a fortune to get more!

Things all going well here. Hope everyone is is trundling along OK
    Last edited by shellbell; July 17th, 2008 at 07:49 PM.

shellbell I am pretty lucky when it comes to going out, DH isn't much of a socializer, in saying that though he has found a new hobbie and him and his mate go off on their Motorbikes every couple of weekends for few hours cruzin' around LOL. I don't know much about the BPA stuff either, I have a friend who has asked me a couple of times as to why I bought the NUK bottles, my only reason was because I liked the design, she also asks why I use the Latex teats and not the silicone teats, well, the answer to that is that the latex have the 'cross' style hole so that he doesn't have to suck so hard to get the thickened formula, I feel like she is accusing me of being a 'bad mummy' because i'm not using the BPA free bottles. As for my ebay stuff, whatever doesn't sell will be going straight to charity, all my maternity clothes I started at 99c LOL

Oops! Didn't mean to start a whole BPA-free debate! I was just posting for Grubi & Fire as they were interested before a few pages back. I already have a stash of Tommee Tippee ones.

Selfish post - Baxter has fed terribly over the last 2 days. Have set myself a mini goal of BF'ing to 6 months. I really can't take any more, he screams at the breast, before, during and after the feed. It's awful. My LC is like my new BFF and even she put it down to him being a fussy feeder.

SG
    xo

Shell, his eczema is definitely better. Have you ever done an elimination diet for two weeks to a month? That's the only way to pinpoint the offending food. Medical allergy tests are flawed beyond imagining. I also use this great cream that stops him itching and I believe is helping it clear. I can't remember what it is called so I'll post it next time when I look at the name. I know it has medihoney in it (manuka honey), aloe (which is GREAT on his, we have plants), calendula and vitamin E. Although last night DH made a monumental blunder by buying minced chicken instead of minced turkey. Chicken is a big no no on this diet. So I unknowingly ate it last night and he flared up and kept refluxing and throwing up and we couldn't figure out why. Until we double checked the meat packaging. So now we might have back stepped a bit. DH feels like a right heel about it, so I didn't carry on about it but I'm so upset. This diet is really hard! To go backwards is just not cool.

Selfish post
    I don't ever want to see THAT again! *spank*
    a) you're not talking about you, you're talking about your child.
    b) you matter. That isn't selfish.

Hi all
    just popping in for a quick Hello.
    BJ has been mucking around a little with his sleeps lately, and today he has a hearing test (which is done whilst he is sleeping), and what has he done? Gone back to bed at 8am and instead of waking by 9am, he's sleeping like a champ.
    I'm going to wake him in a little while and also hold out on he feed if I can to try and make sure he settles for the test!!

Shoegal, BJ was a fussy BFer too (well more so after the whole Zantac and stomach cramp debarcle) .

For those with eczema issues...there was recently a segment on ACA about a product called "Billy Goat Soap" which is made from fresh goats milk, and suggested it was good for skin complaints...my mother is now 65 and has had shocking skin problems form birth...she bought some BGS and her skin is now as clear as day.
    You can get it online they have a website (I don't think I'm allowed to post it, but do a google for Billy Goat Soap and you should find it), theres also a few different varieties of the same product on ebay.

Beatrix don't worry about MJ being the nanna of the group and a nice little petite dot....we have such a HUGE range of ages and sizes in our mothers group, BJ is 4 weeks older than one of the babies in mothers group and that baby is over a kilo heavier than BJ!!
    And I think you're right, often girls are smaller than boys!

Sharon don't feel like "Bad mummy" cause you're using what you are for Oliver...Im using avent bottles and to be honest I don't even know if they are of concern or not, I just know they work for BJ and me and thats all that counts!
    People are still asking me why BJ has such tiny dummies (0-3 month size), and I just tell them "Cause thats what we wanna use for our son" (I get crabby sometimes when people seem to judge...its like all the people who think we're crazy for BJ being on Farex already...if he wasn't eating it, I wouldnt be persuing it...but he is!).

Shoegal don't think you started a debate on the BPA thing, it just made me remember my friends comments, she can be very 'anal' about most things lol. I hope you make it to your mini BF goal, but if you don't, I hope you don't feel like it's the end of the world.
    Fire I hope the chicken hasn't been a major step backwards for you, I couldn't imagine only eating what you are, it would be very hard.
    BabyWrangler good luck with BJ's hearing test. I have book called 'baby love' and it was written by Robin Barker an Australian doctor, I found it VERY informative, and she says in there that there is no reason that you have to go to a larger dummy just because of age, if it is still doing what it's supposed to then leave it, as the old saying goes 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it' (or something like that LOL). What did the MCHN say about BJ being on farex?

Well, it looks like Oliver is going to follow in Jordan's footsteps and get rid of the dummy himself, because we only give it to him at sleep time, he now nows that when mummy sticks the dummy in it means he has to go back to sleep, and when he doesn't want to (which is all the time basically) he spits it out, if we try and put it back in he gets really cranky with us which I find quite amusing really, so basically he has probably had his dummy for a maximum of 30mins in the last 24hrs. He woke at 5am today, fussed with his bottle and finally had 70ml, went back to bed at 6am, woke up at 7am and chucked a wobbly when I tried to get him to go back to sleep so I got him up, he had another bottle at 8am and drank 120ml, back to bed at 8.30am, refused dummy, grizzled for about 5 mins and went to sleep, woke an hour later, he was just grizzling, not crying so I didn't even go in to him and he went back to sleep after about 15mins, he has grizzled a couple of times since then, but he is still sleeping 2hrs and 15min since I put him back to bed.

I'm off to have my shower, and then walk down to the community nurse for his weigh in. BBL, have a great day everyone.

Just got back from community nurse, and in 3 weeks Oliver has only put on 150g, the nurse wasn't too worried as for the last 2 weeks he has been mucking around with his bottles and not finishing them, he hasn't grown in length either, so he is still 62cm and his HC is now 40.5 which is a increase of .2cm, if he doesn't improve with his feeding in a couple of weeks I will probably start him on some Farex.

Shoegal Thanks for the link to the Green bottles, but it was actually those exact bottles on Ebay and the blurb that went with them that got me looking at BPA and had me starting to be concerned, but like I said - the damage is probably already done. $16 a bottle seems a bit much to pay to be BPA free if you ask me - seems a little bit of a marketing thing. The link that was in the auction on the research showed Avent to be the worst (sorry BabyWrangler), yet a friend used them for her son who is now 10 and so far no major health or behavioural issues with him. I'm actually using the Tommee Tippee Close to Nature I made that choice rightly or wrongly on the basis of wnating to avoid interferring too much with BF.
    I look at it as the fact is we are pressured into what we use by what is supplied to us, it isn't convenient or financially possible for me to always do the organic/toxic free thing. I went on a detox for 3 months before falling PG Fire, but I don't think that it necessarily made a huge difference since I had to have an amnio and the emergency c-section, DD had tongue tie and an umbilical hernia and was breech.
    Shoegal I found that when DD is fussy at the breast she needs burping, but you have a LC who can see what he is doing. Good luck with continuing the BF.
    Fire ignorance again -but what is the big difference between chicken and turkey? We have turkey mince, but chicken breast meat. I like turkey, but not sure why it is better other than being a good source of protien.
    Beatrix I agree that the split could be good, just might miss some people - like yourself as you'll be in the first half and I'll be in the second half. I have to ask does exDH actually want to bond with MJ or is that you're desire?
    BabyWrangler does that Goat soap help with psoriasis?
    Sharon Taking advantage of the free 99cent listings on ebay - good on you. You'll probably do really well with your auctions. I just can't bring myself to list maternity and baby stuff yet, other than DSs old winter clothes that DD will never use. I'm an Ebay addict ATM - but have no use for maternity clothes LOL! BTW - you had some nice maternity clothes.
    I was just ready that starting solids before 6 months can cause sleep disruption from stomach pains - let us know if it affects Olivers sleep if you start farex.
    I've been noticing DD watching me eat more now - so think she'll be ready before 6months for solids.
    We have started having more daytime sleep and it seems like more disturbed sleep in the early hours of the morning, hope she goes back to sleeping better at night soon.
    Back is killing me from holding bubs whilst typing so I'm finishing here now.

ONLY 5 POSTS UNTIL THE BIG SPLIT

The child in me wants to post the next 5 posts with just the numbers 4,3,2,1 - 0 on them - sad but true!!!
    Last edited by alittlegrubi; July 18th, 2008 at 03:33 PM.

alittlegrubi I agree that the BPA free bottles etc is a bit of a marketing ploy, I used all Avent products for Jordan and he is one of the healthiest boys in his class, he has only had 1 sick day off this year (and he was faking it) and last year he only had 1 day off as well and that was because he got hit in the head with a golf ball on the Sunday and the Dr at A&E wanted him to stay home the following day. Jordan was had really bad GOR as a baby, to the point where he was vomiting small amounts of blood, I started him on Farex at around 3 months and never had any issues with sleep, other than the catnapping only during the day which he was doing before we started Farex anyway. Did you find my listings on ebay? The only reason I am selling is because I will not be having anymore children, i'm done, my depression got really bad but I have to say that my 'happy pills' and some counseling are starting to work, although i'm far from being cured LOL

Hi everyone

Beatrix, my girl's a little one too. I weighed her yesterday and she was only 5.2kg - but that puts her in the 25th centile, up from the 10th which is where she was at birth.

grubi yay on the day sleep - hope your early mornings improve. we have so many sleep issues right now i can't even bear to put them in writing, but i will say i'm very familiar with the restless mornings.

sharon oliver was previously having huge gains, wasn't he? i hope he'll show more interest in feeding this week. and i'm so glad to hear you're going well with managing your PND.

babywrangler how did the hearing test go? what do they do?

shellbell sounds like you're doing a great job (actually, two jobs!). hope you get a chance to have a break now and then.

fire i'm in awe of your nap success. hope to follow in your footsteps shortly. that's if dd ever gets rid of this damned cough! i'm still slinging her for naps and although she's a little thing she's starting to feel pretty heavy. good luck with your dieting.

had a hideous day of driving round from place to place. i'm so happy to be home, i just wish i hadn't already consumed the day's caffeine allowance... i'd love to have a nice strong coffee right now, preferably accompanied by a few biscuits. sadly, i will have to settle for something herbal and an apple.

have a good evening and night everyone.

Default Missing in Action!

Ladies!
    I have not been on here for AGES!!! I can't even keep up with all the posts. I hope everyone is going well.
    Daphne is going well I think. She's not the best sleeper at night, but during the day she is good, but I have to say it is because of the dummie. Are you all using them? My husband thinks she is hard to settle at night because I use the dummie in the day and we are trying to keep her going to bed without it to avoid having to get up 10 times a night to put it back in, but she is getting hard to settle in the evenings without it. What do you all think? I'm a bit stressed about what to do. Ditch it now and suffer the pain or keep it for peace and quiet?
    My husband and I have been a bit narky at eachother also, I guess mainly from lack of sleep and the whole dummie debate.
    Also, just to vent - why do people feel like they can ask if I'm breastfeeding or not? It is so rude. I think I am really sensitive as I am expressing all my milk due to attachment probs. I had a total stranger ask me the other day and then she proceeded to tell me that "if you can express, you can definitely breastfeed so do your baby a favour and try again!!" I was this close to telling her to F off!!!
    So I've made it to 12 weeks of expressing and I think I'll attempt another 4 - I'm getting pretty tired of it though.
    Take care everyone!

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Hey Clueless, again The group is being split so it might make it easier to keep up
    I guess we could jump between the two to say hey to the other thread every now and then..keep every one updated?? Trillian did say it was okay to do that.

Evening all,

Just thought I would pop in, as the last few days have been very busy.

Wyatt still in bassinette. Am making the move hopefully over to cot next week or week after that. He hasn't got that much room left. Anyway, does anyone have any cot toys which attached to side of cot rail? If so how did you get baby to settle in their with their toys? I'm just covering up but he keeps pulling it down, so might take toys down for a while until he gets used to sleeping in cot.

Have to get some panel heaters installed into the kids bedrooms. I am just worried he will come unwrapped and kid off all his blankets and I will wake up to a frezeeing cold baby. So for own peice of mind.

Everything else going good. I don't have a clue how much Wyatt weights, I will try and get him in to clinic next week, he hasn't being weighed since his 6-8 weeks check up.

I can't wait until every one is better. Wyatt has last part of cold, and has the flemmy cough and the weize breathing. When he was up during the night/early morning and he has his boobie, put him back to bed, and within 2-3 minutes he wakes up from coughing, so I have to start over again, so am up for around 20-30mins. NOT IMPRESSED.

Clueless: You are doing a wonderfully job to still be expressing. I don't think its a personal question for me, and I don't frown on people who cant BF you tried. I have been on both side DD I couldn't feed so she was a fourmla baby and both DS are boobie boys.
    *Wyatt doesn't use a dummy, tried when he was little and gagged on it, so never tied again. Its personal choice, but you have to think long term about the dummy thing. Our first DS#1 didnt have a dummy until her was 6-7 months old. I used to hold nd rock him to sleep and when I couldn't bear to do it any more we gave him a dummy. HOWEVER, it's not taken out of house/car. It has to be left in there. And he only get's it when he goes off to sleep then hands it over when he wakes up.

Anyway it's like 9pm here so I am off to bed. I not a night owl... Where do I find the 2 new threads? Could someone email the link over or display up here... Please help am bit lost and wont no where to go. I find this website one of the harder site to get around on. so HELPPP....

Cheers
    Sarah
    Last edited by sarah_dobbo2; July 18th, 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Sorry to be the one making the 140th post (oops, make that 141st! Sarah beat me.. - was also my 400th post for me!)

Clueless - excellent work on the expressing. I'm in the same boat but am about to quit - how's your supply? I express because my son has a cleft palate and can't attach to the breast.

I'm going to try to make this post worthwhile (sniff) but Liam is snuffling about and may wake at any time...

He's doing great... Is anyone else astounded at how many people still visit and give gifts? We've got two presents in the last few days - one from my boss's MIL!! Isn't that lovely?? I get stopped in the street often because people want to see his hair! One elderly lady stopped us at lunch today to remark on his hair because she said she always wanted a baby with hair - all hers were bald!!

I'm intending to post in both threads so I won't say any goodbyes... I'll keep in touch with all of you that way! Anyway - Liam was born in the middle so we'll have something in common with all of you.

I'm having fun buying up on MCN at the moment.. also got a pram blanky thing that zips up. But we're still having Liam in the basinette because he just looks lost in the pram the normal way around! He's still so small! I'm about to embark on the world of cloth wipes too... wish me luck!

Did I mention he's in his cot full time now? He seems to love it. I bought a mirror thingy to put in there too (so he's got someone to talk to!) - got it on Ebay. He loves it!

I'm hoping to stop expressing next week and I'll then be going full-on into losing weight. It's really starting to bother me now.

Liam's stirring now - better dash and give him his feed. Hopefully he'll sleep for another 6 hours after that! Can never tell...

See you in the new threads! *mwah*
    Last edited by Nettie; July 18th, 2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: correcting post #

Hi all
    The hearing test went really well...all is fine (thank god!), they put sensors on his head with little press studs attached, then they attached wires, and put a little speaker in his ear and playes noises, then the sensors were used to monitor his brain activity in response to the sound (he had to be asleep for all of this).
    The little star went to sleep well and slept through it all (an hour and a half in total!).

The Billy Goat soap is said to help with psoriasis too, my mum still has it but it is apparently easing over time!

That's great BW! Liam had to have that test too, but he kept waking up or snuffling too much so we had to go back a week later to finish it. He also got a good result (except for some fluid in the ear which we're keeping an eye on) which is very good for a cleft baby (they often have hearing or ear troubles too as it's all connected!).

Looks like we're getting away with a few extra posts! Where did the magical 140 number come from anyway? Is that the normal 'allowance' for a thread? Some others I'm involved in go waaaayyy over this!

mgm Oliver weight gain has been pretty steady and definitely within normal range, I knew he hadn't gained much but was shocked it was only 150g
    Clueless Oliver is the opposite with his dummy, he has been having it since birth, and now he is refusing it because he associates it with going to bed and sleep, and that it something he really doesn't want to do during the day especially, so all day today he has had it for a total of about 5 mins. I think if it was me in your shoes it would depend on how much she is crying for the dummy, if it is really distressing her at night then let her have it, otherwise just keep persevering and you may find that eventually she won't even want it during the day.
    MummyMeg I will probably stick to my group mainly but hope to catch up with the other group a few times a week.
    sarah the only thing in Oliver's cot is his mobile that I will put on for him if I need to keep him occupied and happy while I get his bottle, am also thinking of getting him a mirror for his cot too.
    BabyWrangler glad to hear the hearing test went well, and what a good boy BJ was.
    Nettie I haven't had any gifts for Oliver for weeks now, and like you, most people's 1st comment is OMG look at his hair lol, I love his hair when it's wet as it is a little bit curly would love it to go really curly. As for the 140 posts in a thread I think that is the standard but it also depends on when the Moderators of that thread actually come on and close it and start the new one so that is why some go over (i'm guessing)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast