Default Babies Born April 2008

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in April 2008

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Astrolady ~ Administrator
    Trillian ~ Senior Moderator
    Dachlostar ~ Senior Moderator
    Lea13
    MistyFying

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Please note - To receive thread notifications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Last edited by Trillian; April 5th, 2008 at 05:22 PM.

Ooh I can't wait to be in here!

Me too Shoegal!!! Hurry up little one!!

So, who's joining me first?

Hi all

Hey Janine, you may remember me as Nessa. thought i would come back in and say Hi.

even though my bubs was technically a march baby i know you all

You're our first 'genuine' Aprilite I think Janine! :P I'm another imposter, but can't be faffed meeting new people in March.

How's everyone going? Have you lurked in here yet Steph or Shoe? Sounds like Leyla might be ready for us soon too.

Thought that those of us who popped earlier could share some tips for those who pop later - saves them having to work things out for themselves. Here are my tips of the moment:

- A glass of pear juice a day will help keep you regular (learned that from a nurse friend), cos it's majorly owie (yet common) to be constipated after birth! And it's cheaper to buy in tins than in a bottle.

- Pre-moistened toilet paper - I LOVE this for the grazing and stitches. Steph, you need to get yourself some of this mate, it's the bomb.

- To stop your wee stinging your grazes, you can drink Ural to neutralise your wee - but the winner for me is putting your hands on the loo floor and lifting your butt a bit - kinda like a handstand over to loo :P Keeps the flow to the front and not running backwards over the graze.

- Oh, and when the graze starts to itch (very frustrating, cos it's not like you can scratch it), be encouraged, cos that means it's healing and should be right again soon. I've heard salt baths can be helpful, but not tried them myself.

Ah there goes Riv, that was a short nap! Darn. Si's fallen asleep in my arms, probably needed a nappy change, but I think I'll let sleeping babies lie. :P

ROFL nelle i can just picture you doing the handstand infront of the toilet.

tips from me

- i didnt realise bf made you constipated, metimucil once a day also helps.

-jugs warm water when peeing poured over you fanny help.

other then that i dont really have anything.

Hmm i think maybe we should get our birth stories up hey!!

Just now found this thread...

Been using baby wipes, but I've been using those for about a month now anyway. The itching is starting to get on my nerves a bit, and I can't wait to be healed to dtd. I thought childbirth/bfing killed libido but we're like teenagers who are scared to go all the way.

Let's see.. Leila is a really good baby, strong suck... When I was engorged I had a hard time getting her to latch on properly (and I had little idea what I was doing) so I have two cracked nipples now... They're getting better, only hurts a little when she first starts feeding. She hardly ever cries, just has times when she will NOT be off the breast. Today I think I was feeding for about five hours before she'd go down. I try to be really patient but when she does that at night time I want to just give up... But then she leans back with a gummy milk smile and smells so nice and I don't mind so much.

MIL is here doing things to the house and cleaning and generally helping me build confidence. She'll go home tomorrow, we'll see how that works out. Should be fine, like I said Leila is really good and DH helps out a lot. We're all completely in love with her.

So tell, tell, I'd love to know how y'all are going along with your new babies. Guess I should get a birth story up, but hungry baby calls..

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Heyloo!
    Thought i would make my arrival in this thread (i actually finally found it..wasnt looking hard enough)
    Soo umm, no tips from me, yet, only been mummy for 4 days and still learning tricks of the trade.
    My nipples are all cracked and grazed, and hurt SO much, so expressing and bottlefeeding bub the EBM til they are okay again. Bubs is attaching properly which is why its so weird that im all cracked and grazed..so just giving them a rest.
    And my tears hurt soooo much when i pee..even if i do the yoga on the toilet (hands on floor, butt up a bit) and also even if i pee in the shower..might see how the baby wipes go..and considering having a salt bath..just need enough salt (1 Cup) and ill be ready to go. Maybe i can just wipe them with salty water lol..but i guess the soaking is what really helps.
    BM's for me have been pretty okay. Apart from my hemerroid..ugh it hurts..they do go away dont they?? Anything i can do to help it go away??

Still settling in with bubs..i think i have hit the baby blues real bad..and my wonderful DP has been such a great help, helping me when ever possible..he keeps asking me to talk to him about it..and honestly, i would LOVE to..but how can i when i dont specifically have anything thats getting me down? And the fact just him asking me makes me want to cuddle up to him and bawl my eyes out coz he cares so much. Im teary right now as i type this thinking about how great he has been!

Okay, enough rambling from me, looking forward to meeting those of you i havent yet met, and looking forward to continuing to chat with those i have.

Hi Everyone,
    Well my bubs is officially a March bub (28th) but I was following the April belly buddies threads so I thought I'd stick with it...
    We are 3 weeks today and we're "kind of" starting to get the hang of things. Meg I hear you on the blues - the first couple of weeks were really tough - I cried and cried but I don't really know what about, I was just so sad. Still pretty teary (especially if DH asks me how I'm going - makes me bawl!) but I think it's easing a little.
    I think it's going to take a while to get my head around my new life - I was in no way prepared for everything turning completely upside down. I keep saying to my friends that have kids "please tell me it gets better"....apparently it does!
    My boy is doing well. We've had some problems with getting him to go down - for the past 3 weeks he's only wanted to sleep on me. So at the moment my days & nights revolve around him falling asleep on the boob and then trying to get him down without waking him. If I succeed, he'll go down for between 2-3 hours. If I don't succeed, it's back to the boob. Far from ideal, I know, but it's the only way of keeping sane for now. We can sush/pat for hours with no results!
    He is breastfeeding well - some days he's attached pretty much all day and never shorter than an hour at a time - but that's just newborn behaviour I'm told, so we're hanging in there.
    Well, that turned into quite an essay! I'm looking forward to meeting the other April mums and hearing how everyone is going.

hi Meg and Nat welcome!!

Nat- with regards to your boys sleeping. MJ is the same. We co sleep atm most nigths cause i know i will get a streach of 3-4 hrs sleep. and she has to fall asleep on the boob as well. And she takes a hr to feed as well.

Meg- hope your nipples heal very quickly.

just wondering can any one actually put there bubs down and they will go to sleep on their own or do you have to boob/bottle/rock to sleep??

Looks like its just us here!
    How are you coping with the boob to sleep thing? At the moment I have a snuggle bed that sits on the bed in the spare room. I feed M while sitting on the bed with the snuggle bed next to me. When he nods off I hold him until I'm sure he's asleep and then gently roll him onto the snuggle bed - it's pretty nerve racking at the moment, waiting to see if he stays asleep! At nights he stays asleep for about 2 hrs, then we start again.
    Days are a different story. I'm just trying anything I can to get him to sleep. I just took him out for a drive because that usually works - he's now asleep in his capsule.
    I am trying to stay positive and tell myself that things will come right over the next few weeks or so but deep down I'm pretty stressed that I'm setting up bad sleep habbits.
    What happened to my dream of a new baby that just loved to sleep!

Hi guys! Welcome Nat and Meg and Steph! Come on in anyone else!!

Yep Beatrix I've got a self settler, for the most part. Sometimes have to rock. We are using a dummy at times too, which isn't what I wanted, but with a toddler, sometimes I need to buy myself 5 more minutes while I deal with Riv. I'm trying not to use it too much, since I don't think it teaches Si to open his mouth very wide (our main problem with feeding, which is going well, I just often need to break attachment because his mouth isn't open wide enough and reattach). But you do what you gotta do to survive right?

Days I am feeding on demand, but will initiate the feed if Si goes for longer than 3 hours between. I figure feeding more through the day helps him stretch longer at nights - I've got a friend who fed 3 hourly during the day and had her bub sleeping through at 5 weeks! Wow!

Dh had a look at my stitches and thinks that some might have fallen out too early, I'm trying not to worry, he's just going to check every few days for me to see if I look like I'm healing - if he's worried at all I'll go in and get it checked out. Guess I'd rather look like a complete dill and have nothing wrong than heal all weird and need to be sorted out with minor surgery. Sigh.

Anyone else got a windy baby? Si looks like he's in so much pain sometimes. Brauer's colic relief seems to really be helping though.

hi all!

i got milky blues, it happens when the milk comes in and doesn't last too long but is hard to cope with. mine seems to have mostly gone.

re night feedings... most cultures sleep with the babe or it is simply nightmarish raising a baby. they feed constantly (literally) for a few weeks/months to produce a strong milk supply. they also help your milk supply by pacifying at the boob. i thrust him on for everything, gives me a sense of control. i barely wake all night yet ds feeds all through the night, now and again i help him by thrusting a sleepy boob in lol. it's so nice waking with his baby smell right there.

in other news, he gained almost a kilo in a week! had to train him to latch properly and i take my time positioning him against me and now i "think" we're ok... certainly getting enough milk.

nak, sorry if i'm hard to understand.

hmmm... what else? he hasn't been off a body since birth (other than at night when he is beside me), and he has little reason to cry so that's been nice. he does NOT like nappy changes though, and will cry all through them! oh how i wish it was summer so i didn't have to dress him. still want to try EC next month.

isn't it weird? we have babies now... surreal...

But you do what you gotta do to survive right?
    totally, Nelle. not all dreams can come to pass but such is life, wanna be perfect but i don't seem to make the grade.

Wow at the always on the boob Janine! That's so not an option for us, Si drinks and drinks...pulls off...then thinks no actually I want some more...then SPEW! Whoops drank more than I can fit... Then I have to refill him! Little stinker! :P

Stacks of people have popped recently, are you coming in guys? Come play with us!! Haven't a few of the later April people popped early? Where are you? Late April is a huge group isn't it?

I never did look in the late april preg thread. Big is it? All of us should link to our birth stories with a brief update on any specific pregnancy issues, so we can get to know those we haven't known these last months.

I just read a book about natural child spacing with bfing. Not that I want to do that (don't want more kids either!), but I was interested in how natural bfing actually works. Child led, no surprises there, but also it was nice to be let off the hook to pacify with the boob in a bottle culture that kinda looks down on that kind of thing. It has been built into the natural course of things that kids reach for the boob when ill, stressed, or in any other way would seek pacifying/comfort. Anyway, I'm having fun learning as I go. Bfing didn't work out with DD (I gave up on the grounds of oversupply, plus I wanted to sleep at night and found that totally backfired anyway cos she had formula allergies and still woke nights ) So I'm very dedicated this time to fight through all the difficulties of the first six weeks.

Hello, can I join you in here? I never posted in april belly buddies due to irrational fears about jinxing my pregnancy!

My little girl was born on 11 April by emergency c/s (so much for my VBAC). She's still nameless - we haven't had much time to sit down and discuss potential names; it's been fairly crazy with DS being quite hyper and DH struggling to entertain him AND cook dinner in the evenings. Hopefully this is giving him a new appreciation of the things I miraculously manage to do every day!!

DD is feeding almost constantly during the day (she sleeps longer stretches at night) and sometimes one feed seems to blend into the next... she likes to be held, and attempts to put her down elsewhere for a sleep aren't usually successful for very long. For those of you with first babies, this is completely normal! My DS was the most appalling sleeper/napper so I learned all sorts of tricks to spare my arms and back, none of which were all that successful... but sometimes holding a pillow or bassinet mattress under him while feeding to sleep, then transferring him complete with pillow/mattress, worked quite well.

Earthen Clan I did what you're doing - offering the breast for everything - with DS. He was a colicky, crying baby and it was the one thing that would console him. I've only just managed to feed DD lying down; maybe when she's a bit bigger she can get herself latched on, that would be fantastic!

Anyone know any ways to boost milk supply besides resting? After a few days of constant feeding I'm hoping for a sudden increase in supply but we're both starting to get impatient!

gosh sorry for the essay. better go take my baby back so DH can finish his dinner.

Look forward to getting to know you all soon.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast