Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008

Finally changed my user name.

Zennie, that's freaky about the hospital stay, I hope all settles well for you now. I'm so glad your nipples are feeling better. Nothing worse than sore nipples and a constantly feeding weeun. Do you mean the milk smelled sour before it came back up, or after? I can't smell my milk as a rule, not sure the solution to that issue, if it is sour smelling - maybe something you ate?

Nelle, DD had a hernia. All is well now though. Ci's bbutton looks like a tadpole, or a fetus, kinda like a cute spiral, best belly button I've ever seen. Also looks herniated but perhaps it just needs healing more. It bled off and on for a while. LOL at the begging like a dog scene. I can't wait until I can stick Ci on the back and hip.

Beatrix, good to hear about the mei tai, I've considered that one, and may get it for the sling arsenal. I am getting the ergo next though, anyone have that? The hug a bub is irritating to put on, to be honest, although it has been great for this age stage.

Good to see you, Leyla.

Middie visit today, and Ci jumped from the 75th percentile to the 95th. He gained 700 grams his second week and in the last two weeks has gained that again. Jub jub, porky boy. Now he is over 5.5kilos. He also holds his head up really strongly and smiles and laughs. Cutest laugh ever. I think it's due to his birth weight the fact that he's growing so strongly, it should balance out in the next few months. (or God help my boobs!)

I'm going to buy fenugreek today to see about the snuffles. I also bought slippery elm powder on the advice of my middie who has helped several parents with colic and reflux with it. Thought I'd send the advice on for those that might like to try it. Apparently it settles the stomach and is natural and gentle and acts like a sponge, keeping milk down and acid levels down.

Oh, I forgot... for those who do try the SEPowder, she said to use a small amount with breast milk, perhaps less than a quarter of a teaspoon for a big feed. I haven't done it yet, I'm not sure I want to taint his little gut yet but I may be tempted if this issue keeps up, or if someone else reports success.

:chicken:

PS is this the Activite you are all talking about?
    Last edited by Fire; April 30th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.

First off, thank goodness for Chocolate Up&Go's, I wouldn't get any food into me before the afternoon if it wasn't for those!

Zennie, Si's bringing up quite a bit of his feed because he has a cold - does Russell have a cold? My MCHN said that shorter more frequent feeds are the go for that. So we seem to have moved a bit more towards 2 hourly during the day. And I'm just feeding one side at a time.

As for night...Si had a shocker last night, at around 3:30 when I was still awake, I just cracked it, put my fingers in my ears, head under the pillow, and decided to wait 5-10mins, because the crying was just making me so stressed, but feeding was just making Si spew more. After a few mins he'd settled...so perhaps he was overtired (we did have visitors yesterday) and needed a cry to de-stress or something? I know Riv could be like that at times, needed to be on his own, holding him would make him cry harder. Anyway. I'm so so grateful that I have late risers.

Oh yeah Zennie, with the sour milk smell, I know that AB's can cause stinky wee (in any age people), in fact some people even report their skin smells yuck while on AB's. So perhaps it's that? Or, did you eat something garlicky/oniony?

Hey Leyla, did you have low iron? My milk took a little while to come in, and they warned me it might, because I had such low iron levels. If you do, might be worth taking a supplement or something? And I had a giggle at the lactation cookies, they sound illegal or something. :P

ETA: Hey wicked new username Janine! Let us know how you go with the slippery elm, I'll let you be my guinea pig (only because things are slowly getting better here, so I'm not as desperate as I was). Yeesh, over 5.5 kg! That's full on!
    And nope don't have an Ergo, considered it, but got a Pikkolo instead (you can get them from Wrigglebots, and I can link cos she's a Marketplace member), because you don't need an infant insert for newies, and I think they're better looking!
    Last edited by Nelle; April 30th, 2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Fire! Awesome!

Ness - great weight gain by MJ! Is it Millana or Mallana? Either way, what a pretty name.

Zennie - bugger about the hospital stay, hope you are well on the road to recovery.

Sharon - thanks for you well wishes hun, I love that pic of Oliver, he is such a cutie!

Grubi - well done on the weight gain with cracked nipples. Great job!

Nelle - how are you going with two? Is Riv liking his new baby brother?

Leyla - hello! Glad you and Jack are finally here. Read the last few pages of my drama's with Baxter's weight gain. After much reassurance from the girls here and offering more feeds when he is awake I'm hoping for a better result on Friday when I get him weighed again.

Janine - you can buy Aktivite at Coles in the Milo section. The thread on How to Increase Milk Production suggested it may work for some people.

Well I am going to hit the pavement today with the pram. Have spent far too much time inside tidying and washing since we got home on Sunday from Perth. My sister flew over from London for 10 days to meet her nephew so it's been very busy. I have this disgusting pouch that I can't wait to get rid of but it's just going to be light walking for me until 6 weeks when I will start Weight Watchers. All my tops fit but wearing jeans is another story....I don't want a winter of stretchy waistbands and tracksuit pants!

Have a great day all.

SG
    xo

Shoegal I am awaiting the day that I can go out for a walk with the pram... damn that "too posh to be pushed" DS setting me back in the weight loss department by having to have an emergemcy c-section.
    I reluctantly weighed myself yesterday and I still have 9.5 kgs to loose to get back to pre-prego weight. Of course the chocolate and biscuits are not helping whilst I sit around bored unable to do too many activities. I know I am not helping myself - but I do have the diet change plan in mind.
    I've been told advocado is good for helping to shed the baby pounds.
    Does anyone know if you can drink green tea whilst BF - I know it is not recommended whilst pg.

Shoegal - I hear you on the pouch thing! Can't wait to get out and start walking. Am taking it easy at the moment but feel like such a bogan as I am living in trackies - and that is on the days when I actually make it out of my pj's! I know how stressful the supply issues can be, and hope that you are feeling more on top of it now. Your little man is such a cutie by the way! What was his birth weight again?

Nelle - You cracked me up about my illegal lactation cookies! They do sound naughty dont they. DH won't have them cause he thinks they might mess with his man-boobs! They are really just an excuse to have chocolate chip oat cookies. More of a placebo than anything I suspect!

Janine - love the new profile name. I'm keen to know how the SE powder goes. Jack has not been too bad at all but does occasionally have a few issues. Have not been able to narrow down when it occurs to see if it is related to something I am eating. Well done on Ci's weight gain - chubby bubs are so cute to cuddle!

Zennie - Sorry to hear about your scar problems! Sounds really painful. Hope things get sorted for you soon.

Ness - thanks for the reassurance on the weight gain. He had gained 160 over the last week which is right on the target given to me by the pead, so feeling a bit happier about it now. Sounds like your little princess is doing well!

Big hello to everyone else. Anyone else still have DH at home? I have mine for another week... don't know how I am going to cope without him - he's been a god-send.

love

Leyla my Dh has the rest of this week off work and whilst it has been great having him here to help, I'm trying to stop him helping too much as next week I'll be alone.

For some reason today has been a really bad day for us. After a night of 2 to 2.5 hour feeds I managed to get an hour and a half of sleep in from 8.30 to 10am, then it went down hill from there. DH went into town to buy a birthdy present and got stuck in roadworks. In the 3 hours he was gone I had 3 pooey nappies, three feeds and no sleeping - just lots of crying. Finally managed to get her settled and the minute I put her down in her bed.... screaming lahs. Put her in the Baby Bjorn and went for a drive, gave her a dummy - something I was avoiding and she fell asleep on my chest. Came home put her down and was just about asleep myself when the phone rang and then it was time to go to our doctor's appointment to get a referral for her tongue tie. She slept for the hour that I sat at the doctor's surgery and woke shortly after we got home.
    We had dinner, I fed her again at around 7pm and since then she settled briefly at around 8.45pm until just before 9.30pm and since then DH and I have been playing tag in trying to keep her quiet I've fed her, but they seem to make it worse. She doesn't have any acid smell that would suggest reflux, though she vomitted at her 7pm feed. She is currently sucking at her hands as I sit with her in the Baby Bjorn carrier. Every now and then she whimpers I wish I knew what was wrong so I could do something about it as I am desperate for some sleep. Thankfully DS is staying at Nana's tonight, I am sure I would be a very grumpy mummy due to the lack of sleep if he was here.
    I'm going to go read the colic forums see if this might be colic - but I don't think so. She was so good for the first 10 days of her life, why does it have to change??? I want my 3 to 5 hour sleeper back!!

alittlegrubi- we are having the same pro atm yest i wasnt able to put MJ down at all or she would scream. i am racking my brain trying o work out how to settle her cause i so need to do thngs

maybe its a wonder week?

I put our regular feeding yesterday down to perhaps a little growth spurt, and also the cold - since he has mucous in his tummy, he'll bring up feeds if he drinks too much. And I'm making sure he gets the thicker hindmilk. Better night for us last night though.

Sometimes they need to suck more, so more bfing can help, esp if they have an instinct to bring in more milk, and it can feel really uncomfortable to them to not suck during this urge. If constant feeding makes them restless, they just want to suck without getting milk (esp if they fall asleep with a dummy). Currently I have been dealing with this problem, and if you need assistance, let me know and I'll pm you the info I recently got. Can't post it here, unfortunately.

We have problems if Ci is overtired. It can take ages to settle him if he goes beyond that point of no return, when all you do to settle him only stimulates him more. But as long as I'm walking with him in the sling, he is content, so I go for walks around the streets or backyard or even just get on with things in the kitchen or bath my older DD, and just leave him in the sling to fall sleep - DH even sleeps with him in the sling, just lays back the recliner with the sling on. I can't put Ci down, but I had no intention to anyway until he is six months, but I would be going crazy if I wanted to. He literally doesn't last five minutes off a human body, I'm not kidding at all. But I bathe with him, sleep with him and do all my daily life with him on me in a sling.

If you have DH at home at night, you could try what we do. Between feeds, (which are 2 to 3 hours apart) DH takes him, I stick in ear plugs and sleep for two hours from 7pm until 9pm. Next feed Ci is brought to me which goes until 9.30-10pm, I do the sleep cycle again from 10 until midnight. Whenever Ci next wakes, DH then hands him to me for the night (usually midnight) and he goes to our room (cosleeping with older DD) and sleeps I sleep in the spare bedroom on a mattress on the floor with Ci.

So DH gets solid sleep after midnight, I get broken but much needed sleep before midnight that keeps me going through the wee lonely hours. Honestly, it is a system I would die without. What DH does with him while I'm sleeping is, well, Ci is usually asleep from his last feed, but if he isn't, DH bounces on the fitball holding him or some other way gets him to sleep and then lays him on his chest and watches tv. He does it bare chested where possible for good skin on skin contact which keeps him calm and well attached throughout most of his waking hours.

Baxter looks no fatter to me today, we are having him weighed tomorrow so I can't say I am feeling very positive.

I've been expressing after every day feed and he took a bottle of EBM last night, he drank 70mls in 10 minutes, is this good or bad? He was really going to town on the bottle!

Sorry if this has been asked but has anyone had any success with fenugreek? If so, how many tablets a day did you take? I really wonder if it's my milk or what's going on. He only has one dirty nappy a day but seems rather content, plus the most I can get him to feed at the most is 20 minutes on one boob, then about 10 minutes on the other. He simply falls asleep and is not interested.

Will report back tomorrow after weigh in.

SG
    xo

PS - went for a walk to a friend's place yesterday and negated all my good work by eating homemade vanilla slice, *sigh*. In saying that, Baxter loves his pram and was asleep the whole time.

Hi all,

Just thought I would drop in and say hi to all the new mums.

I finally found the right place to go to after the birht on my son. Wyatt was born on the 23rd April. Was not to bad a labour. DS birth weight was 4.500kg, and he is now 4.770kg, which the MW was really pleased at.

Anyway everything is going great, BF really well, boobie are sore/hugh/bit lumpy (when full). No problems yet, (fingers crossed) except lask of sleep. Wyatt is sleeping anywhere from 2-4hrs at a time. And he is only awake for feed at night which normal last about 10-15 minutes, which is great cos I haven't fully woken up by then either, so me back off to sleep fast.

Anyway I have started reading all post, will catch up one day.

Cheers
    Sarah

shoe- i started Fenugreek when i was told to feed more. i take it 3 times a day and seems to work for me. remember Bax may not look any bigger to you cause you see him all the time!

hi all

Nelle - Russell dose have a few sniffles and a cough atm so would guess thats why hes bringing part of his feed back up. as for the sour milk i think its the ABS. they are really strong and have been hard on his bowels.

shoe - best of luck with the weigh in tommorrow. maybe we should play the biggest gainer or something!

Janine - glad u have a routine. ours is similar with dp sometimes taking russell for a few hours early evening while i sleep. i express him a feed for if he wants it but generally wake when hes hungry (3- 4 hours)

i braved the shops today and am impressed with result. Feed before leaving and he slept the whole time. really enjoyed it

Just a quick one (spent all my spare time reading the posts!!)

I am SO lucky that DH works from home - so he's always here with me. I have NO idea how I'd cope if he was heading back to work!

Liam seems to settle brilliantly through the day, but at night takes at least an hour after a feed to settle down to sleep. Grrr...

Grubi - your dialogue sounded so familiar! Why is it that bubs likes to sleep when you can't get into bed??? When visitors are over, while out in the car, etc... very frustrating!

Will try to post again soon. Got lots to do while I've got two hands free... must get organised to get the sling soon!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Beatrix~ View Post
    shoe- i started Fenugreek when i was told to feed more. i take it 3 times a day and seems to work for me. remember Bax may not look any bigger to you cause you see him all the time!
    Thanks for the encouragement Nessa, you are like my own personal cheerleader ATM!

How many tablets each time if you take it 3 times per day? Will pick some up on Saturday. I live in a teeny tiny town and nearest pharmacy is 40km's away.

SG
    xo

Shoegal, my mw and most others in the know tell me you judge a baby's milk intake by how many wet nappies they have. One bowel movement is fine, and about 6+ wet nappies is the goal. Weight is such a variable, that it is an old fashioned way to judge milk output unless the baby is very dehydrated (there are obvious signs of dehydration) or not gaining at all, or not gaining over a more long term time frame. One week my daughter gained half a kilo and the next week she gained 40grams. She was still in the 95th percentile though.

I don't like how stressed you are about this and don't think it is fair on you what the nurses have said. (is that what happened?) It may cause you to doubt your milk or even quit bfing. If your babe is content as you say, he ain't starvin'. Poos every day, also. Sounds perfect to me, trust your gut. If he has an unsettled period, take the opportunity to put him on and feed feed feed through the unsettledness - don't take it as a sign you don't have enough milk. I have oversupply issues and my babe still feeds like he's starving at times.

I just read about supply and bottles though, as I am in a high risk bracket and can't use one yet. If you have any issue (I have oversupply and fast letdown) they can go on a nursing strike in favour of the easier to use bottle. Feeding from me at the mo is uncomfortable for Ci due to these issues, therefore we're in a risk category of early weaning if I show him an easier way.

HEY GRUBI,
    how is Greer going? It hard to believe I have had my little man for just over a week now. Ge that has gone quick. I miss being pregnant at times, I feel really alone now. Where before I had that extra thing.But am glad Wyatt has arrived, 'cos I can sleep on my TUMMY again. Slept on their last night and DH oke me up 'cos when he rolled over it was all WET, woops... (I didn't have to sleep in it though).

Feeling any better? More mobility? How is your BF going? There are only 4 left to have their babies until all thread is done. I guess we have all done out bits now.

Cheers
    Sarah

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast