Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born January 2008 #8

Hello ladies!

Hope everyone's well!
    Our trip down to Melbourne and back to Sydney was great - cuz bub was sooooo well behaved...
    Out of about 38 hours we drove (about 12 hrs within Victoria) our bub was unsettled for only about 20 minutes! As soon as the car hit above 60km/h she drifted off to sleep...So blessed...
    Only thing was I sat in the back entire time next to her...was a bit squashed but can't complain!Poor hubby.. drove the entire way...

I can't remember who said in the previous post now but yogurts have lactose. I'm lactose intolerant and even "lactose free" yogurts upset my tummy!

Amelie hasn't started the solids yet.. I think I read somewhere that paed recommend that you give them solids once they can sit up by themselves unassisted little bit? Is that right? Or is it ok to start before hand? She started showing interest in what I eat since few weeks ago...

Also which high chairs do you guys have or recommend?

Amelie's almost rolling.. def not sitting!...and she's still in the 6kg range.. hopefully closer to 7kg...
    Otherwise she's a very happy bubby...still breastfed...

Oh yay! My hair fall-out has finally slowed down after two months of falling out by clumps! I can see masses of short hairs emerging!
    I hope those of you who's hair's falling out stops soon too!!

Happy 6 mths for those bubs who have reached this special milestone!

Woo our little princess is a wake I better go!

Ciao!

s361768 Guest

Maz I wasn't implying that you did not know what you were doing re. honey on the breast.

Sorry if by making a suggestion to use yoghurt made you feel that way. I can see how that came across, Francis is my forth bub and I know what it feels like to be bombarded with "that's not how you should do it..." "do it this way" or "back in my day we..." etc!!!

Hope you and bubs are doing great

Karen

Morning everyone

All well here, Addie has a cold and a runny nose- lots of sneezing this morning. Of course I am paranoid that I made her worse by taking her swimming on Tuesday (in Townsville temp in 26 degrees)

Lunesoleil glad your trip went well, so lucky to have such a long happy time in the car! There is so much differing advice on when to start solids. I reckon you will know instinctively. Addie wqeighs a couple more kilos than Amelie (now 8.3) so when she started showing interest in my food, and over a few days before 5 months she began a breast feeding frenzy when I didnt think she was getting enough- I started solids. I have a chicco poly high chair which I love, it reclines so as Addie cant sit up by herself it is great. She has a little control but slumps forward!

Karen, that is great news on the continues breast feeding, even with some help. I have loved breastfeeding, I even feel sad about weaning her onto solids and easing up the bfs. DOes that sound insane?? Most people cant wait to stop!!

Hi to everyone else, she is grizzling so better go.
    We are having a nice week with my parents in Townsville, back to Brisbane next week.

Hugs
    Mary and Addie

Hey Everyone,

Not sure if any of you remember me, its been a while since I posted. It sounds like you and all your bubs are doing great which is fantastic.
    We are good here. Eli has been a bit unsettled over the past few days but I think he is teething poor thing. So he has been waking a bit more often, and not going to sleep as easily as he was. He is also feeding heaps, but I think he is going through another growth spurt. I have been slack and haven't had him weighed for a while. We are still fully bf here, I just find it so much easier lol just whip them out when I need to.
    Haven't started solids yet, both my kids get excema so I tend to delay solids, Abbey didn't start till she was 7 months and Eli will probably be the same. He is a big boy so I know he doesn't need it yet.
    Eli rolled just before he turned 4 months and loves it now, always finding him on his belly, he has started lifting his legs up and doing the begining bit of crawling but still no where near it. Its funny cause abbey was about this age when she started crawling, I think he might be a bit too heavy for it lol.
    We had gastro go through the house last week which was not fun, but it didn't last too long thank god.
    I'll have to put up some recent pics soon.
    Ok gotta go, DF just made me luch and I am starving, i will try and be back on more often (i always say that lol)

Hello everyone

I've been a lurker in this thread for a while now so thought I better start contributing

My bub is 5 months 1 week old now, but is a bit on the small side. People's first reaction is always to say "she's so tiny" when they find out how old is she. OK, so I've become so paranoid that I bought a baby scale to use at home which needless to say I use everytime before I give her a bath! Can you tell that I'm a first-time mum??? LOL.

She weighed 3.3kg at birth, and is now around 6.3kg - my mission is therefore to fatten her up! She was exclusively breastfeed until I had to go back to work when she was 3 months old. She's now being breastfeed 90% of the time except when I'm at work - then she gets one bottle of EBM and 2 bottles of formula during the day before I get home from work.

Anyway she's a happy and healthy bub, so I guess that's the only thing that matters.

She started rolling at around 4 months, and now rolls every chance she gets, but not crawling yet. I can't wait for the day she can crawl - it'll be so cute to see my little girl crawl!

lunesoleil, guess what my bub is also called Amelie - such a beautiful name isn't it?

Also, what's everyone doing re high chair? I heard that the Ikea one is the best value one out there, and quite good. Any recs?

Hello~

Cherryblossum - really? Haha.. I dunno if you have read any of my previous threads but my Amelie is on a small side as well - 25 percentile.. I hear "she's so tiny" all the time!! and got paranoid etc etc! Wow.. may be the name has something to do with it? Hahaha... Well good to know someone's in the same boat - like yours, mine's v healthy...(as soon as I typed that she started coughing..still has her cold... )...

Woo gtg.. will post more later if I get time...

ta ta...

s361768 Guest

Hi Mary how are you going? I feel pretty sad when it comes to solids time because I just love the connection with bubs while breast feeding and when they start on solids because it signifys that they are growing up and becoming more independant from you. For me I feel like they don't need me so much and daddy comes into the picture a lot more to take over for feeds, and that feels a little sad because for the first 5-6 months you have them so close to you. I really start to notice it come around 9-10 months and when they are having fewer feeds - I also drop a cup size so that is also sad too hehe

Hope Addy you and hubby are doing well lets try and get together for a drink sometime

Hi Cherryblossum and Lunesoileil

Francis is between the 10th and the 25th percentile for weight - he is happy and healthy and I am no longer concerned anymore he was 6.35kg 3 weeks or so ago and I haven't weighed him since. He just rolled over yesterday he smiles and coos etc. He also lets me know when he is hungry. Over the past few weeks I have been working harder to bring my milk up and have started him on solids. He is doing fine I also think that maybe it is just in his genetic makeup to be that little bit smaller. My partner is 5ft 7 (170cm) and weighs 64kg (lighter than me ) when we got together he was 10kg lighter than that. It took raw eggs, mushatchi and a lot of KFC, and hungry Jacks to gain that 10kg, even now he has to pay careful attention to keep the weight on.
    So I am happy just keep doing what I am doing because stressing and listening to negativity was making it worse for me. I even had someone mention the 2 Brisbane twins that were starved to death in the same line of conversation of my breastfeeding and Francis' weight gaining woes, so I have had enough of it. I am a good mum I know what I am doing and I would know if my little man was starving.
    Karen

I Just looked at my signature - Francis is 5 months old today gosh time goes so quickly it only felt like yesterday he was still in my tummy!!!
    Last edited by s361768; July 5th, 2008 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s361768 View Post
    I feel pretty sad when it comes to solids time because I just love the connection with bubs while breast feeding and when they start on solids because it signifys that they are growing up and becoming more independant from you. For me I feel like they don't need me so much and daddy comes into the picture a lot more to take over for feeds, and that feels a little sad because for the first 5-6 months you have them so close to you. I really start to notice it come around 9-10 months and when they are having fewer feeds - I also drop a cup size so that is also sad too hehe
    thats exactly how I feel .
    My little guy is eating 3 meals a day now so his BF is down to 3 -4 a day if that. We've had an up hill battle bfing here as he doesnt have much luck with his tongue but we keep on trying.

Mateauz doesnt even hit the blue bit in ther graph. I had a fight with my MCHN about putting him onto formula full time as she said he was underweight....I hate by the book mums.

I cant believe his 6 months on tuesday...makes me so sad

Karen - What?? They mentioned those twins in the same conversation of ur bfdg woes??? That is just terrible!!!!!!!!! Can't believe someone did that...*hugs*
    Yeah like you I'm more relaxed about it now ...I give 1 formula comp fd of 140ml in the evening cuz I felt she needed more but sometimes she doesn't even finish it...

I feel the same way re bfdg as other mums.... I'm gonna terribly miss holding my beautiful baby in my arms and breastfeeding...I think its one of the most beautiful gift God has given between mother and child...

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

Maz - Sorry hun, Punky was having a grumpathon, was going to ask this earlier: What solids does Mateauz have each day? Just wanting ideas to try Punky on. Am trying BLW with her & I think I told you already she like brocolli, but DP bought some baby yoghurt on special & I gave her some yesterday (apple & rhubarb) & she LOVED it. First thing she actually opened her mouth for again after tasting it lol. Gave her more today (apricot) & again it was a hit.

I too was a bit sad that she was loving the yoghurt... can't believe how fast the last 6 months have gone!!

Had the fright of my life 2 nights ago: I was going to have a shower about 11 & remembered I'd left my jumper in Punky's room so I sneak in to get it & glance over at Punky & I swear to you she looked dead! She was totally still with her eyes open & arms all out like she was asleep but she didn't move at all. I have never been so scared in my life. I rushed over and just as I go to pick her up she kind of 'jumps' like in suprise that I am there IYKWIM, I have never been so relieved. I took her in to DP & told him & I was shaking. Couldn't put her down again for ages.

I wonder if she was sleeping if her eyes open? I am being told that happens? What do you guys think?

Have been checking on her constantly since - doesn't help that I am the world's best worrier...!!

I started Mateauz on one vegie at a time and then he just chucking big mentals when we were eating so he started eating what we were. tonight he had sweet and sour pork our of one of those heinz jars. he has the big one in one sitting :0. He has fruit for lunch and we just started breakfast this morning - heinz apple and musiel stuff. he woofed that down like there was no tomorrow. Little man is starting to chub up nicely now...I cant count his disc in his spin anymore. I cant wait until we go back to peadotrision (My spelling is [email protected]) on the 22nd.

**** - yes I can totally understand how upsetting that was for you Vic. All 4 of my kids still to this day sleep with their eyes either slightly or fully open. Its like something out of a horror movie.

Lunesolit - I comp feed Mateauz 200ml formula at night to. I was hoping to drop it and get him back onto BF when he started eating so well but he just likes it to much.

Well better go and get busy...have a shop to stock and sew for

s361768 Guest

Hi everyone

I can very much relate to feeling sad about slowing up on the breast feeding and feeling disappointed when bubs takes their first bite of solids or a bottle of formula and they love the new tastes.

However once they discover biting at around 10 or 12 months I am okay with it It makes weaning a whole lot less of a guilt trip for me.

Just thought I'd add Francis is having Farex for Breaky and stewed fruit (pear or apple) at night. When he is unsettled and grissley because my milk hasn't been up to it I have given him a top up on formula in the evening. He has also had a taste of yoghurt too. Since solids he hasn't asked for it. So BF and Farex and fruit so far.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention in my previous post...I went to the shop last night and the baby food cans on the shelf I was looking at for Francis (I won't mention the well recognized brandname) were "best before March 2008 and August 2007." They were all past the used by date printed on the can, even the ones right at the back of the shelf. I am so glad I am obsessive enough to check. Stores really need to check the stock to make sure that food is still fit for consumption - talking about botulism a few days back .

I have bought mouldy cheese and bread from woolies and coles before. Sorry for the whinge - I must sound like a little old lady heheh anyway glad I didn't buy it anyway and make Francis eat it. Saved us a call to poisons hotline and then a trip to the Mater Childrens Hospital for food associated infection YUK.

Billy Ocean Guest

Hey Vic, that's bloody scary. I'm so glad Punky is ok. Billy sleeps with one eye open (enter Metallica song here... pmsl) a little bit. Weirdo! Maybe she was just having one of those staring moments. You know how you get when you stare at nothing? Anyway, hugs to you.

Maz, baby, Mateauz is a freakin' champ on his solids. Does he have yogurt at all? Just wondering cos BTK had a taste of Nanny's yogurt yesterday and friggin loved it! Just not sure which one to get. Was awesome seeing you the other day. Can't wait to come up. Hope your trip went well. x

Mary, so pleased you're having a nice time way. I hope Addie is feeling better soon and I'm sure you didn't make it any worse.

Belinda, I loved that song too. How funny. I downloaded it after I read your post. Now I'm playing it all day. God help us all!

Karen, just because you're not BF doesn't mean your baby doesn't need you so much. You're lucky to have been able to BF for this long. I had NO MILK and couldn't feed Billy. We still enjoy our feeding time. Bottles, solids, whatever.

Hi Cherryblossum, Amanda and everyone else too!

Billy Ocean Guest

BTW, has anyone read some of the posts in the section relating to bottlefeeind/BF and solids? So many women would string you up for giving your kids solids prior to 6 months. WTF? When I was little we had solids b4 6 months - same with all my other mates.

I'm so over it!

Billy Ocean.....?!! Now, you're going to be LESS embarressed explaining who you are at the next IRL meet up?! I think alot of the strong opinions on solids come from reading the WHO guidlines but it doesn't really take into account YOUR baby. I fully intended to wait until 6 months to start solids with Punky but she stepped up the feeds & showed all those classic signs of being 'ready' for solids so I just offered her some finger foods (blw) in the last week or so. If she had a taste she had a taste, if she didn't, no biggy. Like I think I said though, she's been loving the baby yoghurt.

Maz - It is weird isn't it, the eyes open thing?! Ashamed to say I slept in Punky's room last night 'cause I just CANNOT get the image (& how scared I felt) out of my head.

Thought I'd finally got Punky to sleep unwrapped but have had to revert the last day - will I be wrapping her when she's 21 I wonder?!

Geez Vic. I would have been scared ****less too. Naughty Punky on scaring your mummy. She will learn to sleep unwrapped. I didnt think I would get Amber to sleep unwrapped ever but she has been successfully sleeping just under a sheet and cot quilt for a couple months now.
    I think I will be starting Amber on the baby rice cereal in the next week or so. She is watching us eat so intently at the moment and wanting what we have. But if she isnt interested I am more than happy to wait too.
    So many damn opinions on things such as solids but WE know our babies the best. Or I rephrase that.... We ought to know our babies the best.........

I think as a mum that you have to go with your gutt feeling. God If Ididnt then my little man wouldnt be here now. To many people say do this, and do that and totally confuse and scare the living [email protected] out of so many first time mums. Do what you think is best FOR YOU and YOUR BABY!!!! Do your research and take what you feel is right for your situation. God I gave Nikolaus cows milk at 3 months old because he would projectile vomit everywere...it turned out he had reflux and still throws up to this day if he gets very upset. But cows milk was what helped him. Wilheml didnt eat until he was almost 2 and didnt roll over or crawl until he was 14 months. So every child is different.
    There are enough worries and stresses in this world without having to put on a show for people so yo dont get your head bitten of and made to feel horrible. No wonder there are so many people with post natal depression! Honestly!!!!! *maz gets of her soap box now*

On a completely differnet note...has anyone noticed how much their babies are becoming little people??? I PMSL at Mateauz today. I was in Bunings and bumped into an old friend of mine that I hadnt seen in years...well we're chatting away and I look over and here's mateauz chatting back and laughing with her. Anyone would think she was chatting to him by his response. He has also started reaching out for my face and grabbing it then trying to his me...its cute but I could so go with out the tongue he slips out

BBL - needed ab reak from the sweat shop

Billy Ocean Guest

Well said Maz. We like your soap box. Yes, I agree on them looking like real little people. It's so cute. They grow so quickly! Mateauz is bloody gorgeous!

Who is WHO anyway? "Who are you... who who, who who... " hmmm.. visuals of hot black dude from CSI. YUMMO. Shame he was arrested on heroin posession the other week. I'm willing to overlook one indescretion though.

Hey Vic, yeah, true. Now I'm going to have to explain that it's not about the music, it's about the dog and the kid. OMG, what have I done? LOL Hey, I would've slept with Punky too after that. I sleep in the same room as Billy anyway and was going to start rolling him out into the loungeroom cos he's so noisy but can't get myself to do it yet, so don't feel bad!

This nice chick I met at the wedding I went to with M a few weeks back is in labour as we speak. I'm really excited for her and hardly know her. LOL

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast