Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #19

Good evening Finally I can catch up! Just put Niall down for his shortest nap of the day/night. When he wakes up he'll have a play, a shower, another play a big feed supplemented with frozen EBM via bottle which I have to use up because they are approaching the 3 month-in-the-freezer mark. I've been doing this for the past few nights... i wonder if it's helped him sleep a bit better because he's been on a dream run of late! I know it won't last... teething will become an issue soon and that always really mucks things up. It's so true about not believing the myth that solids help then sleep longer at night... I've never noticed it with my previous 2. I just give Niall an extra 60ml of EBM btw. I've still got another huge batch of frozen EBM but that bag is only 2 months old. I've also bought a container of formula but that's only an insurance policy just incase something unexpected occurs and I don't have time to express and I need to be away. I also have this irrational fear that we'll experience a blackout and I'll "lose" all my precious frozen EBM. It took so long to build up. My own supply is still very good... infact it doesn't take long before I get engorged so if anything it's an oversupply situation... it's a real juggling act trying to use up what's frozen but making sure i don't interfere with what Niall is regulating. I guess they would recommend I just throw out the expired BM from the freezer... but I just can't bring myself to do that!

Karen: All my children have always slept on their tummies... but with Niall I "confessed" to my MCHN that I did this and she was surprisingly ok with it when I said we had no other risk factors (non smoking household, firm mattress, no cot bumpers etc etc etc)... she said that from her experience about 1 out of every 10 babies refuses to settle on their backs to sleep and it usually runs in families... well I'm sure our family is one of these... she also said that Niall had unusually strong neck muscles and that it would be ok. However I'm not saying that every baby should tummy sleep... there are good reasons why back sleeping is more commonly recommended... maybe raise it with your MCHN and she what she says.

Verity's graduation went very well, thanks for asking Niall came along and spent nearly the whole 2 hours attached to me (I'm sure THAT helped my over supply issue!) but at least he didn't cry. Wade on the other hand was a bit teary with the babysitter... he told her he wanted his bottle (we STILL haven't weaned him off that... I know, it's crazy) and that he wanted to go to bed early. He rarely has a sitter but he's had this lady before... he's shy with most people at the best of times. Verity thoroughly enjoyed herself. She loves singing on stage as part of a large performance. We went to a cafe on the way home and had hot chocolates and cake. For our new June mummys we've struggled and sacrificed since Verity was in 4yo kinder to send her to private schools. $60,000 later and we figured we've made a good investment... but we are only half way there! I was saying to IK the other day that it really doesn't matter now if we have a financial crisis and she has to go public because her character is nicely formed and she has a great attitude to learning (she LOVES school). She also has values such as personal presentation firmly ingrained and when she sees girls wearing dog collars and purple hair to school she leans toward me and says: "that's not really appropriate is it Mum?" LOL I don't want to start a debate over public vs private... this is just how we choose to spend our money (we know people who have chosen to spend the same ammount on a wedding/honeymoon, and we bite our tongues... wish they would do the same for us... not many of our friends seem to think private education is necessary so we don't get much support )... anyhow I don't judge others who make different choices I actually had an ok public education but it was in the country 20 years ago and so it's a very different situation for our children... oh and DH and I haven't had a wedding ceremony/honeymoon yet.... we'll do that after we educate our kids... if we can afford it! LOL

uh oh... Niall awake... better go... back later

ETA: checked out the piccys on your PB IK: thanks for taking them ... The lightened one is good... others a tad dark.

CC - babies love to test our patience! Not really sure what else you can do. Does Ally like being wrapped. Rory showed me the best way to wrap in hot weather - she might need to explain it as it took me a while to work it out LOL!! You can try the tough love (controlled crying) but I have heard it isn't very effective for babies under 6mths - but in saying that, what have you got to lose. I don't think it hurts to try these things. We did it with Chelsea and it was very hard, but persistance paid off and she started sleeping better. Her issue was going off for her night sleep and she didn't like us leaving the room. You could always head out into the backyard with some earplugs and a good trash mag LOL!!!! Keep smiling, it will get better. Hopefully we can get to meet up - with or without baby. Hi-5 was really good but other friends said it wasn't as good as last year (I took Chelsea last year). A little boy behind Chelsea kept pulling her hair so DH had to politely ask the mother to control her child (GO DH!!!!!). The came home with a big Hi-5 hand cushion and insists on sleeping with it. It was a good day out with her DH, their daddy/daughter day.

IK - go Scuba Oscar!!!!! Box Hill has some beautiful cheap restaurants esp Vietnamese. We should venture down their one day and pig out!!! What was learning ladder like?? Any good? How is your sister going with the new bub?

Char - it's nice to have a night out isn't it? I think we all need that once in a while but it usually takes me longer to recharge now (must be getting old LOL!!!).

Bath - glad Verity's graduation was success. I bet she looked beautiful. She sounds like a very sensible and respectful girl, you should be very proud. When I look around at what young girls are wearing these days - it's scary. The public/private debate will rage forever unfortunately and everyone has an opinion (and they love to voice it LOL!!!). Sounds like yours has been a very good investment. In 20 years time, you'll be looking forward to that honeymoon (and deserved it) LOL!!! Hopefully get to meet you at our next Junnies meeting (and talk lots about food!)

Party was great and a beautiful venue in Malvern East. They older kids had a visit from Fairy Twinkletoes and she was fantastic - kept them entertained for ages. Food was beautiful and the birthday girl enjoyed herself. Poor Marley had trouble sleeping as it was hot in her pram but she was a good little bubba and kept smiling despite her tiredness. Needless to say that we arrived home and she zonked!

Whoa, Bath - $60K!! That is huge! I can imagine the kind of sacrifices you guys have made to do that. My ma sent me to Lowther Hall in Essendon from yr 7 till half way through yr 10 (when I went all Marxist and started rebelling ) and I think she was paying $1000 a term back then. Are you planning on sending the boys to a private school too? I have my fingers crossed that Flynn can get into Melbourne High!!!

Charmaine, Flynn used to suck his fingers raw as well, but luckily he will take a dummy. Do you still swaddle Aja? We give Flynn the "Wally Wrap" (Mel saw it, heh heh!!) which totally prevents him from getting his hands any where near his face while in bed.

Karen, I am doing the pat-pat thing with Flynn too - it seems to be working so far.

Ceecee, sending sleeping vibes your way as I type!!!

IK, hope the party went well - did ya buy any books for the boy?

Mel, you have to elaborate about the train ride!

I wonder how Simone is going at the Wiggles concert tonight at Fed Square??

DH and I printed a whole heap of our photos, some of which date back to December 2000! So far we've got through half of the discs and printed 796 photos - DH is trying to put them in date order with the use of files on the PC and my travel diaries. It is great to look at pics of our 2 NZ trips, our most recent Tassie trip, our Qld holiday in 2003, driving trips around Vic......ahhh, all a distant memory!!! What is the biggest blast is seeing all the pics of our house renos in one hit - it was such a dive when we moved in!!

better go - getting late - zzzzzzzzz

Rory: 4yo Kinder: $5000, Prep: $6000, year 1 $6500 year 2 $7000, year 3 $7500, year 4 $8500, year 5 $9500, year 6 $10,000. Very rough figures. Not including uniforms.... comes to $60K. We aren't sure where we are going to send the boys yet...

ETA: one baby settling tip I discovered with Wade was to find something to do like fold the laundry or nappies after you have placed them in theirs cots... do it in their room so they can see you... when they cry attend to them... do a bit of 'pat pat pat' on their bottoms or stroke their foreheads (this is what Niall likes) then when they calm down a bit return to the folding as they watch you... then leave the room for a bit while you put it away... then return and soothe... fold... put away... return ... sooth... put away etc etc. Soon they get the idea that you'll always return but it's not really control crying because you sooth them when needed. Plus you are feeling "productive" as you fold the laundry. Niall settles a lot easier than Wade so we haven't had to do this yet but things might change. I've found that my previous two became ALOT more clingy after 6 months of age.

Hey I'd better go to bed too... DH has managed to settle Niall... so had better make the most of it!

Nighty nite girls

Rory - you rebel you!!!! The train ride is was interesting, but it might need to wait until our next meet. I couldn't possibly explain it in writing with the same humour as I saw it IYKWIM? Remind me because it was very funny.

With 796 photos to go through, you might be there all night. I love going back and looking at old photos esp the bad fashion and hideous hair do's (like the big quiff at the front - sound familiar LOL!!!!!).

Bedtime for me!

#karen# Guest

Char - it's hard when they keep losing the dummy, then when they are older they lose it down the side of the cot, I remember fossicking under the cot in the dark in the middle of the night with my older two looking for lost dummies. nathan won't have anything to do with dummies.
    Bath - I don't think I want the conflict with my MCHN (lol). I mentioned feeding on demand and she wanted to send me to all sorts of clinics. My 2nd slept on his tummy too. My 1st I didn't and I probably should have as he slept no longer than 2 hrs at any given time. Interesting that it runs in families, that would explain a lot. Your settling routine sounds lovely, very serene.
    Mel - sounds like you had a nice day out, what a good little girl you have, smiling in the face of adversity. Nathan gets feral in hot weather.
    Rory - It's so good dh is involved with your photo sorting, that's a job I desperately need doing but have no space or time to do so, can't imagine anyone in my house wanting to help.
    Well, have to go soak some pooey clothes, after Nathan leaked all over me. You gotta love it.

Karen, eeeuw! I hate the leaky bum!

Trying to get some work work done - too hard when weather outside is so sunny.
    Mum and stepdad are comming over at noon to watch the Royal Command Performance of Flynn Eating Carrot for the First Time. God first gradchildren get fussed over!!

LOL at the "performance" Rory!
    Char: Niall is my first baby to refuse a dummy... woohoo! Like Karen I've spent many an hour under the cot fossiking in the wee hours. They are a two edged sword: fantastic and frustrating. It will be interesting to see how I cope on public transport when Niall becomes more vocal... how many people are going to complain? I had one woman highly indignant once because she wasn't able to read her book despite my best efforts at trying to settle Wade... thankgod other passengers lept to my defence!

I'm having a Delia Smith moment: making my Traditional Christmas Pudding... it calls for stout! I think I might just use ordinary beer... we have a lot of Stella Artois (Sp?) left over from DH's 40th ... I think that will do... maybe next year I'll try the stout.

ETA: Hmm, I seem to have 2/3 of a bottle of nice cool beer left over... DH, V and W at Little Athletics and N asleep... I think I'd better drink it... be a shame to waste... ah! bliss

Wonder how Simone's going... I'll do her job of providing Melbourne's weather forecast:

Tomorrow is going to be slightly warmer at 33'C perfect nappy washing weather

Tuesday Change. Late shower. Min 19 Max 32
    Wednesday Mainly fine. Min 13 Max 21
    Thursday Shower or two. Min 13 Max 20
    Friday Fine. Min 11 Max 25
    Saturday Mainly fine. Min 13 Max 24

When Chelsea was little I had a little container beside her cot with spare dummies!!! Sometimes I would leave a few in her cot and when she was older she could find a spare one.

Rory - hope the carrot performance goes well. It is getting so hot outside.

Bath - some people are so rude, I am glad some of the other commuters weren't! Don't people understand that babies don't have an on/off or volume switch LOL!!!

Karen - she is a good bubba but we'll see what happens today - it's hotter than yesterday and she might not be as happy (plus her eczema is playing up!). Cleaning up poo - isn't it great LOL!!!

IK & Dee (7th Heaven) - Happy 5 months to our beautiful babies!!!

Off to visit my nan who just turned 90! Then off to my brother and SIL for atea. Chelsea can play with her cousin and we can have coffee and cake!!!

Marley's eczema has broken out today - the hot weather always sets it off. Hopefully it wont get too much worse as she scratches it and sometimes draws blood! I cut her nails nearly every second day - does anyone else's babies have nails that grow fast?

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday - will pop back tonight to see what's happening.

Mel, Flynn seems to have a harder time with his skin when its hot. I am forever cutting his nails too.

The carrot didn't go down as well as the rice cereal (which is made up with mummy milk). He sort of gagged on it and pulled faces but ate about 1 tsp. I will persevere, though!

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Karen- hope your chook was yummy..i've also tried Ally on her tummy..but she is not a fan...
    Char - yes, an extra 20 min nap makes me more tired, i don't nomally sleep during the day, but yesterday was overwhelming for me. i here that dummy can be a blessing,then a curse..have you tried a teething ring? Ally will often sleep with hers and if it falls out of her mouth she does not care.
    Baths - I had to throw my EBM out the other day.. so sad..DH said we could give it to teh dog - but then we both thought.. nahh.. that is way to gross...i applaud you for sending Verity to a private school..i think it shows amazing love. Verity will always thank you and know that she is deeply loved.
    Mel - Ally has never liked to be wrapped, like the dummy I try it again every week or so, but without success...how funny about your Hi5 pillow - our homes soon become kid zones don't they! My Nana turns 90 next weekend...we are having a big party for her..sorry about the eczema. I bath Ally in Almond Oil and only use MooGoo to wash her hair. It seems to be working?? you can google moogoo - if you want more info.(i can't post the website here)

Rory
    - amazing how many photos we accumulate - you should wait for a special at Harvey Norman and get them printed -

well, Ally was a dream baby today. she even slept for 2 hours at lunch time today.. Dh is home, yeah.. I miss him so much when he is away.. he is back to Melbourne on Monday and Tuesday, ho hum...not sure how single mum's do it. I rely on him so much.

well, off to check on the roast, having guests for tea.
    have a nice night ladies!
    luv
    CC

Hey Ladies...

Sorry been a no show today, didnt end up going to the wiggles last night, Declan wasnt very well and Xande was a bit wheezy. Today Xander ended up having an asthma attack, and Delcan vomited everywher all day (mostly on me though!!) and had a temp of 38+ all day, it got up to 39.5 for a while there... the fever finally broke this evening, and he's a little happier, but still clingy...

I had a great day friday, thanks girlies

Ill be hovering for a while tonight, DH has gone home and its just me. *sigh*

BTW IK - you didnt offend me the other day

Hey to everyone, missed you there last few days!!!

What a weekend...and the running around doesn't stop till I'm in the prep ward on Wednesday! Today I went to my club's rally, to watch some lessons and see people I haven't seen in ages and to get my horsey fix. Straight from there I took Oscar and Odin to B&SIL's for my nephew's birthday. DP is still there, quite enebriated, but he knows that his place is on the couch tonight. He has not once spent a night on the couch because his consciousness was altered...till now. His brother, on the other hand, spends most nights on the couch or in a spare mattress in the kids' rooms cos he drinks most nights, which is quite sad, really. I get the bed to myself, though, which is nice on a hot night!
    Tomorrow I'm out again all day, going to pay a short visit to Oscar's grand-aunt down at the peninsula before meeting my friend at her house for lunch in the same vicinity. I might even take Oscar to the beach while I'm there. DP's never been a beach baby, but I was and I'm damned if Oscar isn't going to have a healthy relationship with the ocean! Well, I may just take him to the bay side tomorrow, but you know what I mean. Salt water instead of tannin water (although I'm starting to like river swimming).
    I spoke to my sister tonight and she's pretty happy and travelling well with Chiara. She's got a strong neck and body like Oscar's, so we reckon it's come from my mum's side, and that it's a native american thing. Oscar was crawling around today and flipping this way and that - precocious little monkey that he is. Anyway, Chiara is doing really well and they'll be leaving the birth centre on Tuesday - in NZ they get to stay in BC's for 5 days, and hospital stays are shorter...I like that! Although I still would have just been dying to get home.
    Simone - I hope the kidlets get better soon! Sounds like you're having a trying weekend
    CC - I'm glad you got a good sleep out of Ally today - I hope she keeps those eyes closed tonight, too!
    Mel - I didn't spend any money at the party - most of the books are for slightly older kids and when she said that it doesn't matter what you read to babies as long as you read, I thought I'd save my money and keep reading Oscar Wordsworth, Kipling, Tennyson etc!
    Well, Oscar has fallen asleep and I will put him down so that I can do some more washing, hang it out first thing in the morning before heading out.
    Bath - I washed some nappies today and they are so fluffy! More tomorrow, so we might both be spending tomorrow night folding nappies
    Night girlies!

Well, just when i though things were looking up, Declan's fever is rising again, Xander spewed everywhere and his wheezing is starting back up again - i think he has what declan has, and the high pollen count isnt helping. Im running out of towels and buckets!!! Anneliese has finally dropped off, i had to let her scream as im just so frustrated, im just having a little trouble coping on my own. The kids are meant to be in daycare tomorrow, but i think Anneliese will be the only one going. Unless Declan's just hot because his room doesnt get any fresh air. I tried calling Dh to come over and help me, but he's working tonight, going to pack up the U2 concert, ready to be sent off to the next destination. So no help coming from there. Well, at least they've all stopped screaming now. Sorry to vent guys. im just not coping very well at all, might feel better after i have a little "feeling sorry for myself" cry. BBS.
    Last edited by simone; November 19th, 2006 at 09:37 PM.

Simone - for you sweetie. Your poor bugger, sick kids are hard at the best of times but with 3 kids and 2 sick, you must be exhausted!!! Vent as much as you like, it makes you feel better and will be here if you need to chat. I hope the boys get better soon and hopefully Anneliese won't get it.

Rory - carrot isn't the nicest of veg (esp mashed), I think I'd screw my face up too LOL!!! Have you tried pumpkin? They say because it is slightly sweeter the bubbas love it or pototoe (probably just as bland as rice cereal and you could make a mash with breastmilk). He is doing great with his solids though.

CC - will definately google! Where do you buy the almond oil and how do you use it? I am looking for anything that works. Sorbolene helps the dry skin but she still gets itchy. I used Pinetarsol today (used for kids with chicken pox) but that didn't seem to do to much. It is hard with only one parent home. I get that too, but DH is only away for the day or night, not for days at a time. It's nice that you miss him and I am sure he misses you and Ally terribly. Hope you roast was yummy!

IK - glad you didn't spend money - there are so many beautiful classic books around. Chelsea has Anne of Green Gables and Little Women - still a few years off reading these though! Glad to hear your sister is doing well. What perfect weather for drying nappies. Tomorrow is going to be a stinker.

Bath - your pudding sounds yummy and I am sure that nice cold beer was well deserved.

On a really sad note - our beautiful great dane Cooper passed away tonight . He was nearly 8 years old and we came home from a evening out and he had died. Poor thing. It looks like he died in his sleep, which I am so relieved about. I really have no idea what to tell Chelsea. We have never had anyone die before, so I don't know what to say - any one who has some ideas please let me know. We are getting him picked up tomorrow morning to be cremated (like our previous great dane) and returned to us in a lovely mahogany box with his name on the front. He can then stay with us forever.

Mel The only pets we've had are hermit crabs, and when they died, we told Xander they had gone to sleep. He loved them so much, and was always playing with them. So i let his blow kisses to them, and say goodbye (before i threw them in the bin, but he doesnt know that!!) Thats lovely that you cremate your pets, so you can keep them forever.

I got Oscar to sleep and some washing loads were done during that time. I was hoping to do some sewing, but he woke up hungry! He is in the shoulder sling and looks like he might drop off again. We may have a late bath.
    Mel - I am so sorry about your puppy dog I don't really know exactly how you feel, because I've always had our dogs put down - none of them have just died in their sleep, the buggers! I would say that it's best to stick to the truth with kids as much as you can. Maybe you can start by finding a way to say that our pets never live as long as we do and that part of loving them is loving them until they are not here anymore. Also, as I may have told you on Wednesday, each pet teaches us something that helps us love the next pet in a better way. The Animal Aid has some good articles on grieving for pets, it would be the www's and then vaat.com.au, for Victorian Animal Aid Trust. They might have something that helps. I feel your pain, though - especially after you told me his story only this week What a treasure he was to your family! And ashes or no, you know he will be with you forever, they always are...
    Simone - thinking of you! I know thinking isn't going to help you get through tonight, but you know you will and tomorrow is another day. Cry all you need to, sweet girl...

Oh, and Rory, i agree with Mel - carrots might be a little yuck for the little man's taste, definately start with Potato or pumpkin (or maybe even a fruit, like puree pear or apple) once you know they have no prob, you can start mixing them... i have a great recipe, i'll write it out and give it to you later. You can make up a big batch and freeze it in little ice cubes. Very handy and healthy. Sweet potato is also a good one.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast