Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Babies Born June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip
    wont sleep in cot, only sleeps being held - any ideas????? also in our bed but scared to squash him.

Try a sling. Remember he has only just come out of being a part of you. Try not to expect to much. Are you wrapping him? This often helps. But besides that, just hold him, feed him, love him, gaze upon him...
    ABA has a great sling that holds the baby against you, not in a pouch that is attached to you. Have a look on the Mothers Direct website (just goggle mothersdirect it should come up) its listed in Out & about or maybe its just under slings??. Anyway its the "Simplisity" clip on sling. Trust me very well worth it if you get one.
    As for co sleeping, check out the SIDs web site for safe guidelines on co-sleeping. I doubt you will squash him.

Tanya- You could try putting one of your breast pads in the cot with him, it might help him feel comforted if he can smell your milk. even if it hasnt fully come in yet he would be able to smell it if you have some on the pad.
    Is he in a cot or a bassinett/cradle? if he is in a cot maybe its so big for him he feels lonley?
    Yep- wrapping him well too if you haven't already. I've only just started getting the knack of really wrapping Nixon firmly. he was always wriggling out of my wraps & DH still hasnt leanrt how to do it, but he has been staying asleep longer wrapped up right. my sister gave some sheets on it, i could fax (if u have one) or mail u a copy if you think it may help.
    umm if you have a cd player or anything in the room? soft music. i have a couple of cds called music for dreaming or something its for babies. its really nice music actually! very calming!
    he is still trying to figure out whats just happened to him too so may take some time for him to settle into this new world he has just entered!

cant wait to read your birth story when u have time!

Tanya, I am having a bit the same problem with Tori, I find that I have to let her fall asleep on me and stay there for at least 20 mins before I put her down if she is restless. If she falls asleep while i am feeding her she is usually settled enough for me to put straight to sleep, but if she isnt asleep I usually let her rest on me for at least 20 mins and then I know she is in a deep sleep.

Bath- Im not ready to throw in the breast feeding towel yet, Im a very determinded person so I will struggle it out for a while longer yet, just find it really difficult to relax when I am exhausted and she is feeding for the 5th time in 3 or 4 hours. We actualley seem to be breaking her of the habit which is good.

Had a better night last night, went 3 hours between feeds so I was only up at midnight and 4am which means I managed to get a little more sleep. I am actualley just about to go back to bed for a bit more as Tori has just gone back to sleep, and i figure I should take any opportunity that presents itself.

Tanya it can be so overwhelming, especially when your running on such low sleep levels. Personally I think this is where a hospital stay is better over the birth centre. But anyways.
    With wrapping, I think they all fuss about it at first but once they settle they are fine. I never let my boys cry. I would do the same as you, give it a minute to see if it is just him stiring but then I pick them up.
    I use to wrap mine with Cheese cloth or a bunny rug. I would lay it so it is was in a diamond shape on the bed & then fold down the top point so it became more like a upside down triangle but the bit across the top wasn't folded down all the way to the side points. It sort of still looks like a diamond but with the top point chopped off. Then I would lay baby so that his ears where level with the top of the wrap & then place one arm on his chest, so his elbow was bent & hand would sit as though it was on his oppisite boob. Then bring the side point (same side as folded arm) across & over hsi little body, tuckin ghis fist in under the fold & then tuck the point in under his body nice and snug. Then do the same with the other arm & side point. Folding it over snuggly & then under his body to hold in place. Oh with his fist tucked into the fold. The fold is created when you first folded down the top point. So if he wriggles free a little his hands shuold still stay in the wrap. When you put them down once they are asleep, they can startle themselves with there arms. It takes a few weeks for them to realise their arms are a part of their body.
    maybe you could also try settling him in the pram that way you don't have to put him down once he is asleep.
    Also I would lay them on a bunny rug when they slept in my bed & then once they are asleep, if I wanted to move them I pick up the corners of the buny rug like a hammock & slowly & with as little movement as possible shift them to the bassinet.
    I always had the bassinet right up next to the bed, near my pillow. Babys learn their mothers breathing patternes & soon follow cue & same goes with sleep. you both become in tune with each other & he will wake as you do & vise versa. But give it time. Oh I don't believe this happens if they sleep ina different room though.
    Do you have a sling?

Hi ladies,
    Welcome to our world Tanya! Didn't we tell you to let your body go and it would know what to do.We are co sleeping with Pat so don't worry about squashing him.DH is a big person, but I curl Pat into me so bbs are there if he wants them.

Another bad night/morning here, I am so tired but Freya is due for a feed any minute so popping on while I wait...

Tanya, congrats again, Lucas is gorgeous! It is so hard to know what to do for the best, isn't it? Even though I am going thru it for the second time, I am still struggling with the crying/sleeping thing, and every day feels like a marathon. Freya is yet to sleep for longer than 3 hrs, and never that long at night.

So happy for CeeCee on the arrival of Alexandra, can't wait to hear more details!

I just remembered that you said you only get 48 hours at the hospital as well, I get what your saying on being more relaxed at home. I just meant that having the staff on habd around the clock can help with the teething probs at first. But then again, you have us all on here so its not such a big difference.

I don't t hink you would be hurting him when you wrap him. They squirm & fight everything, but trust me once he is settled he will be much happier to sleep while wrapped.
    Oh another thing I use to do was pat on the bum & once they are asleep, keep patting as you put them down & then once down keep patting but slowly do it softer & softer & then go from pat pat pat oat to pat......pat......pat then just have your hand lightly resting on him & slowly sneak away.

Time for a new thread girls.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678