Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2007 #9

Hi Starfish - firstly, really, what is 'normal'?? Some one said to me when I had DD#1 that "Normal is as unique as you are" - so I took that to mean that whatever works for me and my baby and family, then that is our normal! DD#2 has 3 solid meals as well, occasionally a snack between lunch and dinner depending on how long she naps for in the arvo. She still bf before her breakfast and then a quick comfort top up just before she heads to bed. Although, both these feeds seem more of a comfort thing for her (and me ) as sometimes she seems to take a big feed and other times I feel like her dummy, hehe. I am starting to work towards dropping the evening bf by mixing it up every now and then with approx 120mls of formula instead of me.......in preparation. Just don't know if I'm ready yet as my 'normal' with DD#2 is actually different to what my 'normal' was with DD#1 - by this time, DD#1 had finished bf for almost a month already and yet, DD#2 is still bf twice a day, I'm in no hurry So in summary of that essay, lol - whatever is working for you and your little princess then do that and then when you are ready to change things up, then do that......no rush! Anyways, just my thoughts, hth xx

P.S. it seems that DD has worked out to go backwards down off the lounge mostly......but she hasn't quite grasped the concept that you can't be throwing yourself all over the place as falling off with actually hurt!! hehe

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend too......tyring to work out if I really-eally need to go out to the shops as it is so cold and windy outside and seeing as DH is at work I'll have to take the girls out. We're already heading out tonight for a bbq birthday tea for our little cousin but the girls won't be out in the cold for long........hmmmmm.....

Anywhos!!!
    MWA!!!

Starfish - we are no longer BF-ing. But DD has 5 meals a day Breakfast (1.5 weetbix with 1/2 banana), MT (piece of fruit), Lunch (mashed veges and a samwich), AT (piece of fruit), dinner (what ever we are eating... ie usually meat and veg etc)..

She then has 175ml Formula before bed and since we are trialling the dairy free thing due to the rash flare ups... i also give her a banana formula smoothie with morning tea (she she used to have cheese with lunch and a baby yougurt for AT)... so we are changing about a bit.

i think it is ok to still bf'ing and i am no expert but i would probably start cutting down a little maybe and offering more h20 with meals ? i dont know.. perhaps barb glare will be able to give you more info on what bub needs if you do a seperate lactation thread???

Charly - yay for the steps and climbing down off the couch!!! when we were at MIL they had stairs and DD thought it was wonderful climbing them at 10-11 months.. but wouldnt know how to go back down - yes we had a few stacks... much to my fear and disgust when not supervised.. and MIL still refuses to get a gate for her stairs as it will damage her wallss... what about DD 's brain!!!!.. anyhow we had to teach her to go backwards and now she think she is
    superwoman on anything she can climb off! lol

Well our latest achievement is we have graduated from a sippy spout cup with handles to a cup with a straw lid (no handles).. yay... i was having a milkshake and she wanted some (back in the good old dairy days hooo hum).. and she sucked away at the straw like a trooper so i bought some cups with straws in the lid and now her smoothies/h20 are in these and she thinks it is great ... even makes the '''arrrhhhh" sound when she stops sucking lol

Peach Guest

Kenzie has a new milestone! Last night she fell over in the middle of the room and instead of crawling over to the furniture to pull herself up .. she put her 2 hands on the carpet and stood up all by herself and kept walking so not more crawling bubby for me and I must say I'm a little devistated .. most people would be happy for their child!!

I am getting concerned with Mackenzie's sleep. She has only slept through the night about 3 times since she was born (I had to get up as I was worried something had happened to her!) Would you take her to someone to get checked? She still wakes up 2-3 times a night for the booby. I am at a loss as to what to do I feel I have tried everything. I hope there is nothing *wrong* with her

MumofLewis :: How did Lewis's sleep go last night? IS he improving after going back on formula? I am considering doing the same with Kenzie .. not for the sleep (no matter what I do she won't sleep through the night)

Charlyfrog :: Yay for the scrapbooking achievement! I still have my 12yo DD's baby pictures in a box ..ready to get started! I just never get time!!! You may have just inspired me to get my butt moving on it!

Starfish :: Kenzie feeds sometime 8 times a day .. sometimes 3 .. I just demand feed her then supplement her with cows milk if she is still looking for more. Although I only feed her on 1 side due to having surgery on the right breast. I am hoping to wean her off the breast altogether but have No Idea how to go about doing this.. she is a booby addict! .. Oh she also has 5 meals a day, however .. she is not a big eater.

PP :: Congratulation to Ashley for the straw cup!! I might go buy one of these and see how Mackenzie goes with it. Although when I give her her sippy cup .. most of it ends up on the floor / lap / trap ..etc ..

Hi Girls,

Jen - Congrats on MacKenzie standing up like that . I'm just dying for Lewis to walk now, he took 4 steps last week and hasn't done anymore since! He walks holding onto me all the time but is still very wobbly so I think it will still be a while.
    Yes he has slept through since giving him formula in the evening. However I must admit to something.....he got a molar through which I didn't know was coming! So whether that had anything to do with it? However I feel better about giving him the formula at night so will continue to do so for a few more weeks.
    I wish I could help with her waking in the night. I can only offer the same advice that I always do, ring Tresillian! They are 24 hours and usually offer good advice.

PP: I tried Lewis with a straw cup as it said suitable for 8 months onwards, but he didn't suck bless him! I will have to just keep trying every now and again. What a clever girl Ashley is . His cup is the Pigeon one with a soft spout, he doesn't seem to like the harder ones so I do keep thinking I'll have to get him onto one soon.

Zofia - Lewis has 3 meals a day, plus a morning and afternoon snack, plus 3 bottles of milk and water in between. He would eat all day if I let him, he honestly loves his food! The only thing he ever hasn't liked is lentils

Hope everyone else is well.

yeah MofL- i was just having a milkshake myself and she wanted some so i tried and she thinks its great lol!

Peach Guest

MumofLewis :: Thank you!!!!!! I have heard of "Tresillian" and when I tired googling their number I put "Trillian" and of course nothing came up! So I haven't been able to get ahold of them. Thank you very much for suggesting it. I phoned them last night and they offer fantastic advice .. I was on the phone for an hour and a half to the lady about Mackenzie and she feels that I really need to do a 4 night stay!?! I never realised that she was that bad .. but obviouly we do have a big problem here. She said she physically needs more than 2 hours sleep "in a row" to have optimal brain develoopment .. so that was a little scary. I am going to post a thread in the baby section later to just just some input from other mums possibly in the same boat.

We are cutting breastfeeding out. So .. she is going to have a big girl cup! Essentiual she said she is transitioning from being a baby to a toddler. I need to support and guide her through this change with loe and affection. but I need to be the one leading .. not her..

Oh good so glad they were helpful , I know a few people who have been 'saved' by them!! They do seem to offer good advice.

Regarding them not leading us and us leading them, I think it is a fine line which is hard not to cross! I will be trying hard to lead Lewis and not the other way round over the coming months now you have said that! He is a head strong little imp!

Jen - Diana still occasionally wakes a few times a night. I just put her on the boob and she goes back to sleep. For us its not a problem (then again, it only happens sometimes - there were a couple of nights in a row recently when she kept waking and I was ready to tear my hair out , so I can only imagine how it must be for you). I agree with calling Tresillian. A friend of mine did one of their overnight stays and she said that it was really effective. If you are serious about wanting to wean, ring the ABA helpline and they will tell you how to do it. (I am studying to be an ABA counsellor - I don't yet know about weaning, but I know that it is covered in the training.)

Hi to everyone else.

Peach Guest

Last night I called one of the ABA councillors and we had a discussion about weaning and her advice was in direct conflict with what the tresslian lady told me .. so .. I decided to combine both and instead of going no breastfeeding cold turkey. I am going to give her a night breastfeed for a few weeks .. this will also be a que that it is bed time.
    I put Mackenzie in some sort of routine yesterday and I have to say it worked quite well (except for the afternoon sleep - we had coflict for 90 mins and in the end I just got her up and kept her up till 7pm .. ) She went to sleep with a breast feed .. when she finally got this feed you could see she was soo relieve to have it .. and I had a bit of a tear because I dont know if I am emotionally ready to have her grow up! But this about what is best for her not me!

Last night she slept in her cot for most of the night, she woke up 3 times, but a quick feed in our bed .. then I put her back into her cot. Usuallt she would scream if I even went near the cot. So this is good progress! We willl get there hehe

Starfish :: Thanks for the advice for calling the ABA .. they really did help alot aswell.

Jen - Mackenzie might be missing the boob. Remember B/F isn't just about milk, it's about comfort, closeness and security. So many just drop one feed at a time. Making her go cold turkey during the day might be a bit much for her.

Peach Guest

Yesterday she went really well not having the booby all day .. I just distracted her with toys and books and going outside when she went for the booby .. it worked well!

She needs comfot and security sometimes 10 times a day and wakes up sometimes 5 times a night for the comfort and security .. I hope shes not going to grow up "insecure" ifkwim?

The trillian lady said that its a learned behaviour, I basially "wore" Kenzie as part of my outfit when she was little, and we have co slept since birth, I never go anywhere without her she is with me literally 24/7 ( shes even sitting next to me in her highchair now having morning tea! heheh) And the trisillian lady said that she is transitioning into being a toddler and I need to support her in this change.

I was going to post a thread about the in the bubby section but ran out of time. It will be a long post because we spoke for an hour and a half I really really impressed considering that it a free service!

Peach Guest

OMG I am in shock ..

I just put Mackenzie down for her morning sleep .. it took 10 mins!!! So happy!!

Yay for mackenzie!!!
    Well i have just noticed ashleys 4th molar is spiking through... so might be a long night for us

Peach Guest

PP :: How did Ashley go last night? Kenzie has got 2 molars.

Ashley looks so grown up in your ticker!! I am going to see if I can put a new photo of Mackenzie in my ticker this afternoon.

I am on a house cleaning blitz!! I am even in the mood to do weeding .. what is wrong with me!!

hi serenity!
    that photo of mackenzie is gorgeous.!
    no problems last night! Sleep through till 7am

But have been off her food that past 2 days so hardly eating. And hardly weeing. have to keep an eye on it.

Hi everybody!!! Gee I seemed to have missed so much in the couple of weeks that I havent been on here!

PP & Jen welcome back!!! Its great to hear that Ashley & Mackenzie are doing so well xx

I havent had much time to post recently as things have been a bit rough around here. I'm currently in my second cycle of fertility treatment which is going very slow and doesnt seem to be working And little miss Mikayla just hasnt been sleeping!!! I know she's never been a great sleeper and has always woken frequently during the night but she just seems to be getting worse!!!!

Jen how on earth did you get Tresillian to suggest a 4 night stay???? I have rung both Tresillian and Karitane in tears because we havent been sleeping and I'm struggling to cope but both of them have given me the run around.

Tresillian basically had DH running in circles. They gave him something like 6 numbers to ring (3 of which were disconnected) and the others havent been able to help. They said we have to go and see our local health nurse first and try their sleep & settle classes - which we did when she was 4 months old and they didnt help!!! So we gave up on Tresillian and rang Karitane. Well they were no help either. They said our GP had to ring them first and answer all these questions to see whether we really need the help. Then they said it would be at least a 6 week wait. When I told the lady I didnt think I'd make it another 6 weeks she said "sorry dear there's not much else I can do for you right now" WTF!!!! This woman was on their careline and she told me she couldnt help!!! Now DH & I would never ever do anything to harm Mikayla but I completely understand why there are so many poor children being mistreated and killed out there when their parents are calling out for help and NO-ONE IS LISTENING!!!!!!

So sorry for the rant but I just cant believe that I am having so much trouble getting help and others I know have so easily gotten a place in these clinics. One of the mums in our playgroup rang them a couple of months ago and she got in the following day!! How on earth do they qualify who get in and who doesn't!?!

Well I'd better be off before I drag the mood in here down even further! I hope you are all doing well and will try to get in here more often and keep up with whats happening.

Take care xx

so sorry this is all happening for you.
    Surely there is something that can be done.
    Is there any community health centres you can get familiar with that can refer you?

i know it sounds drastic... but is there anywhere away from home you an DH can take mikayla (mini holiday) that is availble... i dont know like a retreat for this sort of thing?

What a nightmare Teepee. That's so bad that you haven't been able to find help. What about if you call them back and hopefully get on to someone else that may offer better advice?
    Is Mikayla teething and that is why she is worse than normal or has it been getting worse for quite a while? I know with Lewis is teething atm, I never know from sleep to sleep whether he will scream the place down or not. His new habit is this throaty scream that makes him cough it must hurt him that much But I felt another molar poking through today so presume that is the reason for his odd sleep patterns lately. It's his 3rd molar in about a week.

I was told about a place in Sutherland called something Cottage I think, that was a sleep school, not sure if you could find it on the net??

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast