Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born May 1-15 2008 #2

Hi Klee glad to hear all is going well with you.
    Jodi my af also came on Friday sorta but now not? I'm also questioning if it was the real thing? I didnt have any cramps or feeling at all. Hope it stays this way from now on. Sorry to hear you had a cranky day, hope it has improved today.

Yeah that's what my supposedly AF was like. No cramps, no other AF symptoms other than spotting. Weird.
    Much better day today, not cranky. But Emily was. My mum & I went shopping for a few things and Emily just wanted to be in bed. Usually she's happy sleeping in the pram or car, but I guess today was one of those days that she wanted her bed!
    Last night she woke at 2am, didn't want a feed & was still fairly tired. So I changed her nappy and put her back to bed, and she went back to sleep, with no feed. Didn't wake again till 6am for a feed. I'm glad she didn't want a feed as I didn't have anything to give her. She's been sleeping through for over a week now, so I don't have any milk during the night.

Klee - good to hear everything is going well
    Kristale/Jodi - still no AF for me but that's a good thing

I ramped up the expressing over the last couple of days to get a full feed and so last night DP fed Josh EBM while I had some "free" time and cooked a nice dinner and did some housework - crazy I know! Should have slept but it was nice to feel "normal" again. Also went out to the shop this morning by myself for the first time. Was a strange feeling walking out of the house to the car with no baby. I was only gone for half an hour but it was still weird.

I've also now worked out that I can easily feed Joshua while he's in the ergo carrier, he was grizzling in the shops yesterday so I unclipped my maternity singlet and let him have a feed and no one could tell. You have to be wearing a maternity top/bra/singlet though for the easy access.

Joshua has his 6 week checks on Tuesday with the CHN and the GP. I am still thinking of seeing a lactation consultant as I want to make absolutely sure I'm doing everything right. I feel like it is all good. The only frustrating thing is the expressing. I can only get around 20-30mls at a time and even less in the late afternoon/evening. It would be nice if I could express a whole feed in one or two goes as it takes me a whole day of expressing after every feed to get around 120mls.

Laranna- I also went to the shops without Amelie yesterday and it feels so weird not having them there.
    What a great night we had last night Amelie only woke at 4am and then I woke her this morning at 7am so feeling great I hope she continues to do this from now on but I wont hold my breath.
    DH has gone away this morning so his Nana is and Mum are going to stay with me a couple of nights so I'm not alone the whole time. Thank god for his family.

oh yeah, kid-free time is great, but soooo weird. You feel as though you're naked.

kristale - that's a great night you had last night. Fingers crossed that continues. How long is DH away for?

laranna - what pump have you got, electric or manual? I used the Midela (sp?) mini-electric pump. It was fantastic.

Nothing happening here today. Have to do a spring clean while Emily is sleeping, so might get Nina to help me. She loves helping me clean.

Kristale - that's great you've got some family to come and help. My DP has had to work some long hours and it gets lonely by the end of the day when he's stuck at work.

Jodi - I've got an Avent manual and electric, started off with the manual then DP thought an electric one might be better for me so got one of those but I've been switching between the two. I think I just have to keep practising but it is hard to relax because it's frustrating when not much is coming out!

I'm going to head down to a breastfeeding drop-in session this afternoon so maybe they can offer some suggestions as well.

My DH is away till Thursday so 3 nights.
    Amelie has just thrown up her entire feed on me again she did this twice on the weekend too, anyone else's bubs doing this?

kristale - Emily has only done this once. Does she do it often, or just those couple of times? She might have a bit of a bug? Is there anything going around? Is it a big spew, or just a little, and is she content afterwards, or unsettled?

Kristale - Josh has spewed once immediately after a feed, he was content but still wanted to feed again as he was still hungry.

Josh had his 6-8 week check with the CHN this morning and he's doing great. She is happy about his health and told me not to worry about the weight gains as long as he is gaining etc and everything else about him is perfectly on track and healthy. She's from the UK and said they don't focus on weighing over there and thinks the charts cause more stress for new mums which is so true. So feeling a bit better about it all now. He's grown 2.5cm in length and his HC has increased by 5cm.

Yesterday we also went to a breastfeeding clinic and the LC said his attachment and suck is perfect and she said the same things about the weight stuff as the CHN. However, they both did recommend that I do go onto the Motillium to give Josh an extra boost so I will give that a go. Based on his output and health he is definitely getting enough, but extra isn't going to hurt and I would rather do that than switch to formula. My initial goal is to BF exclusively for 6 months.

He is smiling and cooing alot now and he loves staring at my face intently and copying my expressions which is really cool now that he is being more interactive Going to start more activities with him like letting him look in the mirror and tummy time and playing with rattles etc.

How is everyone else going?

Jodi- Amelie has done it done it before a couple of times but they were far between were these are days in a row. She did it agin this morning and it doesnt upset her and she is hungry afterwards because she has an empty stomach I guess. The CHN said her stomach muscle is probably just weak and it gets wind behind it and brings it up as she is still putting on weight but if it continues for a week to try a different formula. It just makes lots of washing and mess as you can imagine.

Laranna- Great to hear about Josh's growth! And good to hear you are feeling better about it all now.

Laranna - I couldn't agree more with the health nurse. All these books, charts etc that tell us what is normal do nothing but cause stress. Only thing is, only 1 baby in 100 is that "normal" baby, and the rest of our bubs fit in somewhere along the line. Sounds like you're doing a great job and Josh is growing beautifully.

Kristale - Elena throws up frequently after a feed. Sometimes its a painful one but most of the time she is a happy chucker. Isabelle on the other hand had pretty severe reflux but never threw up. I don't think its much of an indicator TBH that something is right or wrong. If Amelia is not too bothered by it, I wouldn't stress too much. Switching around formulas can often be more trouble than its worth if you don't have a real problem with the one you're on. Have you got some cheap flannelette nappies to throw over your shoulder for when you're feeding? I find them a lifesaver for saving my clothing at least some of the time!

Elena had her CHN check today too. She's put on another 200grams in 10 days so I'm really pleased. She's now put on just over on a kg since birth, 7cms in length and 5cm for her head circumstance so she's growing beautifully. Now if we can just get something more than 4 hourly feeds I'll be really happy. I had to call my Mum yesterday morning asking for help. I'd had another crap night with very little sleep so Mum came over and watched the girls while I had a beautiful 2 hour nap. Funny how babies can be so different to one another. We do exactly the same with Elena as we did with Isabelle in relation to routines, settling techniques etc. Izzy was sleeping through at least 9 hours a night by this age, and I can't even imagine getting anything like that from Ellie. Oh well. Hanging out for that magic 3 month mark when everything gets so much easier.

I can imagine the mess! Just the one time Emily did it, it made a HUGE mess! And it was in the middle of the night too.
    Hopefully it's just what the CHN suggested and nothing more. I suppose as long as she's not upset by it all.

WTG on Josh's check up laranna! My dr hates those charts as well. He is thorough with his examinations on both girls, but doesn't refer back to the chart. With Nina now, he looks at her and says 'yep, she's doing great!'.

I've had to make my app for next week instead of this week. Which is alright I suppose, as she's not 8 weeks till next week. I've just got so much on in the next couple of days, I couldn't fit it in.
    Emily has started talking to the tv now. It's sooo cute. She'll be sitting in her bouncer, with Nina sitting next to her holding her hand, and Emily will smile at the tv, then start talking to it! And this morning, when we all woke up, Nina raced over to Emily and said 'hello sister' (well, it's actually dider) and Emily smiled back at her. aaawwwwwww.
    laranna - you should start poking tongues at him, it's so cute when they do that back!

blanche - how are you going? How are Jack's sleeps going?
    klee - I know you don't have access to the computer during the week, but how are you going? You getting Joey weighed again this week?
    lulu - how are you and your 2 girls going?
    beckstar - have things settled down during the night for you now? Hopeully you're getting some sleep.
    kat - how is miss Molly going, and all of your animals?

Sorry if I've missed anyone.

ETA:
    lulu - you beat me! Great to hear of the recent check up. I know what you mean about them being completely different. We are doing the same things as well, and Nina was a horrible sleeper, in that she just wouldn't sleep! And she fed every 3 hours around the clock till 6 months. But with Emily, it's so much easier. She's been sleeping through since 5 weeks, and is such a cruisy baby. Touch wood that continues.

ETA #2:
    I forgot to say, Nina has started pulling off from the boob while I'm feeding her, and talking to it, then she looks up at me and smiles. Another aaawwwwwwww moment
    Last edited by Visitor7; July 1st, 2008 at 03:25 PM.

Awwwwww Jodi. How incredibly gorgeous Nina sitting there holding Emily's hand. That is just so beautiful. It makes all the difficulties of juggling two little bubs worthwhile doesn't it.

Lulu - it's great you got that sleep, thank god for family hey. You mention that 3 month mark - I have had so many people talk about that and it seems like it will never arrive or it is a myth! I guess I have to get there to believe it

Jodi - that is so cute with Nina holding Emily's hand and LOL at pulling off the boob and talking to it.

Today Josh has been going 3 hours between feeds which is nice as he is normally 2 and as he takes ages to feed it doesn't leave me much time in between. And he has been settling great today even though he has been poked and prodded by the nurse and again by the doctor this afternoon. He's due for another one now actually but is still snoozing his head off. Hopefully this doesn't mean he will be awake all night

laranna - that's great he's feeding every 3 hours now, it makes it so much easier doesn't it. Hopefully he won't wake up during the night wanting to play! Emily has done that a few times to me. Very annoying.

Emily was quite unsettled today. Wouldn't have a decent sleep. I think she only managed 2 hours of sleep today. But she crashed at about 8'ish, and I reckon she'll sleep all night. She was so tired.

Laranna - I think so much of the magical 3 month mark is because their little digestive systems seem to have strengthened significantly by then, so all the grizzles associated with colic/wind disappear (unless you're one of the very unlucky few) and you're left with a happy, content little bub. I think also because their development is starting to make them more interesting - not that they're not gorgeous now - but the laughs come more quickly, they really interact etc.

Jodi - I hope Emily slept well for you last night.

A HUGE woooooohoooooo from me. Elena slept for 10 hours straight last night. OMG it was brilliant, although I woke up this morning with incredibly sore boobs and sopping wet sheets, doona etc. Small price to pay for that uninterrupted sleep though. Off to swimming this morning - might even be able to stay awake through it!

Lulu - woo hoo on the 10 hours sleep, hope she continues that for you !!

Jodi - how was your night? did Emily end up sleeping all night?

Jack is a completly different baby now i ended up putting him on the bottle and hes a new baby! he sleeps great through the day and is happy to be awake now too. nights sleeps are wonderful i feel like a new women now that im getting long stints of sleep. i really wish that i could be bf still but obviously something in my milk was bothering him and i had tried cutting out dairy and was on a very bland diet, plus we had a few issues with attachment and he has had thrush a few times..i feel i gave it a good go as he become really unsettled at 5wks and i made it to almost 8wks. DD is so much happier now aswell because im not constantly sitting on the lounge feeding and trying to settle Jack anymore i can spend so much time with her now just like we used too!

i better go DD just walked inside with black hands and face, gotta love sand!! i swear she does it on purpose to get a bath lol

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast