Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born May 16th - 31st 2008 #2

Hi Ladies

Well Liam has been doing really well. He is sleeping ok overnight between 4-6 hrs but nothing constant it varies each night. He is self settling pretty well during the day also which I am pleased about as DS#1 wasnt very good at that.
    I started to feel sick last night, sore throat and ears and aching body. Each time I woke up to feed Liam my left boob was engorged????? This morning I fed him off it 1st and then expressed another 100 ml out of it to ease the pain. His poo has also turned a more thick green ( sorry TMI ) so I am not sure if he isnt feeling too well either?
    Apart from that all is good.

Abb thats excellent that you can take Hamish into work with you it must make life a lot easier.
    Jess I am so envious of Tiahnas fantastic sleeps. I cant wait for Liam to decide he can last the entire night without his boobs.
    Alicia you can get cheap sleeping bags from best and less they are about $15 and they also have the hole for the seat belt so you can keep bubs in the sleeping bag when putting them into car. I would think size 0 would be too big and she may get tangled in it during the night?

Hope all bubs are doing well. We are off to get needles this afternoon so will let you know how that goes..... OH i hate getting them done.

We finally did it! We broke the 5-hour sleep barrier!
    Saturday night Aadi had the longest sleep he's ever had - 5 and a half hours - which was awesome for me, but it was followed by the worst bout of lower wind ever... awake and crying from 3 to 6 am. DP was so distraught, he'd never seen Aadi like that, and it shook him up a bit. I finally managed to get him comfortable and settled enough to sleep a couple more hours after that, and he was fine most of Sunday, but I sent DP out for the Brauers anyway. We got another 5 hour sleep last night, but of course I woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep... argh! But we're moving forward gradually, and I managed to maintain some sense of routine over the weekend. We had friends over, and they brought us a whole lot of great stuff for baby from their 18-month-old twins. I am so stoked at getting such good pre-loved stuff, as I haven't had to buy much at all (and couldn't really afford it anyway!).
    I put Aadi in a microfleece sleeping bag that I picked up from Coles for about $5. It's great, but wont fit him for much longer. I also have a couple of bigger ones, and one that my mum made, that I will definitely use next winter. I used to wrap Aadi up tight because his crazy arms would keep him awake ('cause he'd smack himself in the head!), but he's got them under control now! Still swinging punches and scratching up his face now and then, but only when he's awake. Still have to use a couple of blankets, tho, as it's so cold. Only problem is his hands get really cold because he puts them up by his face when he's asleep.
    I am SO over this winter thing... everything becomes a hassle, especially BF with all these layers of clothes. And laundry. And heating bills...
    I tried to give Aadi a bottle, but he wouldn't take it. Oh well. No real urgency for it. I'm not going back to work any time soon, and I'm looking at ways I can work from home if I need to. Childcare places are practically non-existent around here. I think I'd be useless if I had to go to work now! I can't focus on anything that's not baby-related...
    Jess - apparently by around 2 months bubs will start to sleep longer and adapt better to a routine of day sleeps. Looks like Tiahna's right on schedule! Even if your DS wouldn't sleep much then, maybe this time it will happen for you. I haven't put Aadi in the cot yet either for the same reason as you. Also, the room where we put his cot is really noisy, so hopefully we can move before too long. I'm happy with the co-sleeping thing for now, anyway.
    Abb - love that pic of Hamish! Those big chuckles are priceless, aren't they?
    Alicia - library sessions sound great! I'm going to have to check it out.
    Sarah - lol at getting the boobs out in the boss' office! It's not THAT kind of job, surely!! kidding!
    deancey - are you feeling any better today?? that's exactly how I felt when I got mastitis, so take care of yourself.

Well finally got tiahna back to sleep... she's been awake since 7am slept for 15 mons and woke up... I just wrapped her up tight and she went straight off to sleep...

I'm so angry... yesterday DS got hold of some scissors in the bathroom- and decided to snip a big chunk off the top... I was feeding tiahna and DP was sleeping... he went in to wash his hands for a hold after i fed and after a minute of no water i walked in to find his hair covered in DP's gell and hair on the bench.. i bathed him and saw the damage... a big ? shape on the top... i had to get the clippers out and cut it short (still noticed it..) then today i went out to check the puppies... he was watching scooby doo so i thought i'd be ok... NOPE DP cut his hair last night and left the clippers plugged in on the vanity and now jordan had a HUGE shaved bald patch right in front... i'm so angry... i rang DP and had a go at him for not packing them away... but he got the *****s at me for not watching him... i cant win... he cant be trusted for 5 mins while i let the dog out for a break. he needs 24 hour supervision now i 'll need to completly shave his head so it wont look so bad... now i;'m about to hang the washing out so i have to get him to stand out there in the cold while i do it... next thing he'll try to cut tiahna's hair or something...

His Nan has him all worked up about having sexy hair and hair cuts... everytime she comes over or takes him out she has to get his hair cut or make him gel it... so all he kept saying was "sexy hair for nanna" i making sexy hair for nanna" . i cant wait for this cold wether to go away so he can get outside and play on the swings and not get into mischief... the house has too many things he can get into... if its not the bathroom its the kitchen... i fill up his drink bottle so he can help himself if i'm feeding but he gets fruit and tries to cut it up or make sandwiches etc... i know he thinks he's a big boy now but OMG... how do i teach him he's still to little for scissors and knifes??? i started the "BIG HANDS" thing but it isnt sinking in...

NANA- yay on the 5 + hours sleep... its great to have some solid sleep...

Deancey- thats what happened with me... one boob was always filling up... no lumps or sick feeling but achy all over... is it sore??? could be mastitis??? which reminded me my last feed i notices a lumpy line type raised bit under my nipple and when i pressed on it my milk squirted out... obviously it was a blockage... i have hand expressed from it now and the lump has gone away... it was weird it felt like i was squeezing a bubble under the skin and it shot the milk out like a water pistol... was funny (well shocked me when i first pressed and it wet everywhere... Also tiahna's poo has change also.. not in colour but its a bit more chunky... sorry TMI... maybe its an increase in thicker milk or something???

jess:thanks for the pm.

sorry i havnt been on much everything is soooooooooo full on. jayda has had gastro the poor bub and i have had the flu and DH has it now and of course he is dying lol.
    Work is so full on. jayda loves watchign the kids so it means i have to hold her up or prop her up in the pram to watch them or she sooks all day. yesterday she wanted a feed nearly every 1.5hrs, it was crazy. she has 3x150mls, 2x 125mls 4x100mls. She had started only waking once for a feed and was doing that for a week or so but since she has been sick she is back to 2 or 3 feeds a night. i am so tired and exhusted. Dh works long hrs so i dont expect him to get up when he has to work the next day. he leaves home at 445am and doesnt get home till 645pm.

sorry that i just pop in and wirte about myself but i really dont have much time to catch up each time. just thought i would pop in cause jess messaged and asked me to come in lol.

Sassy sorry to hear you have all been sick and that it has affected Jaydas feeding I am sure she will get back to a similar routine to before she was sick soon.

Jess OMG I can beleive Jordan cut his hair TWICE..... I would have been mortified ( and laughed later ). It must be something in the name as Jordan has been getting up to mischeif aswell when I am feeding or doing housework although his is STRIPPING. He is forever coming in naked and I find his clothes all over the place. Thanks for the info about your boob situation. I am feeling better now and they seem to have settled so I think whatever it was has left the buidling

Well this morning I took the boys for a walk up to the milkbar so I could buy the paper and I got Jordan a baby chino from the coffee shop. He walked the entire way home pushing his stroller and then played outside so I am rapted that he has settled for a nap YEAH. Liam had his needles yesterday, DH took him as I am terrible with them. Liam did well but his left leg has got a huge red lump on it, which is apparently normal. It looks awful though.
    Last night he slept really well. I fed him at 7pm and then he woke at 1.30am and then 5.30am. I was very impressed. If only he would do a dream feed I might get to sleep till 5.30-6.00 from 10 or 11 at night but I am sure he will sort himself out soon.
    Anyway gotta do some housework whilst the boys are in bed.

Hey Sassy, sorry to hear your crew's been sick. That's awful. Hope everyone's feeling better soon, and your DH doesn't die from his man-cold! LOL! Hopefully things will get back to normal soon and you can get some rest.
    Jess - tragicomedy... I hope you can laugh about it one day, though it must be driving you NUTS right now. If you figure out a way of keeping him out of mischief, let me know, cause I reckon my boy is going to be BIG trouble in a few years' time!! Better lock up all my chef gear now, I reckon!
    deancey - good to know you're feeling better, and it wasn't the dreaded mastitis, coz it sux big time. It must be tricky dealing with having older kids now that they've got new siblings, and they probably haven't quite grasped the responsibility yet, and they're getting up to mischief because you can't give them 100% of your attention. I don't know how some women manage three kids under three years old... scary!

We had our first new parents group meeting today, and Aadi was very well behaved even though I had to wake him up and take him in the pram in this dreadful weather. I even managed to get up and make cakes to take and share. Considering I had completely forgotten the meeting was today (remembered when I saw the notice on the fridge at 8:30!!), and I actually made it there on time, I think that's quite an achievement. Mummy-brain was happening, and I just lost track of the days. Which is [email protected] because it means we've got the immunisation tomorrow, and I'm not entirely prepared for that. I have to be strong... and I think I'm just going to turn into a sobbing mess!
    Oh well. We're back to the 3-4 hour sleeps at night again, it seems. The weekend of 5 hours' sleep seems like a lifetime ago now...
    OK, Aadi's awake again (it's been 20 minutes..) and I gotta go to the post office and pick up my fluffy mail. Yay for fluffy mail!!

i have been reading through everyones posts abit and i seem to be pretty lucky with jaydas sleeping. she sleeps for about 6hrs the first time she goes down at night then every 2to 3 hrs after that. she is startingto wake up more now but i think it is because she is gettin too big for the bassinet. she has about 10cm if that and when i go to put her in of a night she streches her arms out and they hit as i put her in and she wakes up. i coudl hear her hittin the side last ngiht so i think thats y she hasnt been sleeping as long. i am going to try to get her cot into my room this arvo. i dont want to put he rin her room yet as it is really cold and we have no curtains in there yet. the window covers one whole wall and no matter where i put the cot it is pretty close to the window so i would rather keep her in our room where it is nice and warm. Also i want to get her back into her longer sleep be she goes into her own room. she will be 10 before i am ready i think lol.

my internet is workin a bit better now so hopefully i will be on alot more and will beable to catch up on personals better.

on kids cuttin there hair, i have one kid that i cant trust to do cuttin and pasting. he alwasy cuts everything his clothes, his hair, everyone elses stuff and clothes. It is very hard explaining to the parents when they come of a arvo. even when u r watching them it can happen so fast.

today jayda has bee weird with her feeds she will sook for a bottle but only have like 50mls at a time. prob still full from yesterday. i was reading a site about signs for when baby is read for food and all the signs jayda is doing now but i know she is still too young. wat would people recommend to use as a first food when she is older?

Ok, I didn't get to the post office yet. Aadi went back to sleep (shock! horror!)
    Sassy, I would wait as long as possible to start on solids. Babies' digestive systems aren't ready till at least 4 months, and you can leave it as long as 6 months on just breastfeeding. The gut flora isn't developed enough to handle much else before that, which is why there's such a difference in formula-fed babies' poohs compared to BF babies... Oh, and it's cheaper when you don't have to feed baby real food!! But as for first foods, that can depend on your diet and cultural background. Most people I know start with infant rice cereal mixed with breast milk, but some of my African friends just mash up some of whatever they're eating with their fingertips and feed their babies by hand (no spoons, whatever). Just a bit on the finger. That way they are used to the taste from the mother's milk already, and it's really just the textural thing they need to learn.
    You can get infant rice cereal just for babies. After bubs gets used to the new texture of "solid" food, you can start on pureed vegies mixed with breast milk. I have a list in a baby book that suggests when introducing solids to maybe try:
    Week 1 baby rice
    2 carrot
    3 pumpkin or squash
    4 pear
    5 parsnip, apple
    6 banana, potato
    7 zucchini, mango, melon
    8 green beans, peaches, nectarines
    9 natural yoghurt, red lentils
    10 leeks, chicken, cauliflower
    11 oats, cheese
    12 white fish, grains such as quinoa, polenta, millet
    13 pasta, onion, grapes
    14 bread, lamb
    15 beans, spinach
    16 apricots, celery, capsicum
    17 tomatoes, salmon
    18 eggplant, mushrooms
    19 peas, egg yolk
    20 tofu or beef, citrus fruit (such as mandarines)

It's also best to leave a few days before introducing a new food just to see if there's any allergic reactions, and then after a while you can start to mix two or more ingredients together, like carrot and pumpkin etc. Once baby's eating lots of different foods you can start introducing things like garlic and mild seasoning spices. But you shouldn't cut down on milk feeds until after 1 year.
    Oh, and I can't wait to start cooking for my baby! I used to be a chef (once upon a time) and I cooked for a childcare centre for a year or so. It was great, and kids can be really adventurous so don't be scared to let them try anything!

NaNa- i think Sassy is bottle feeding. thanks for the suggestions though i'm always thinking about ideas...

I started DS on farex with EBM at 3-4 months then when i had to switch to formula i added the formula. I also used to add it occasionally to his bottle to thicken up the milk. I used to also mush up the food we were eatting (not till later on though) put everything in the blender (depending on what there was) you can freeze things too in Ice cube trays and defrost when needed.

the first foods are like NaNa said just getting them used to the texture and flavours of other food... I have heard that you can dip dummy into food for them to try but i dont agree with that until later... although i have tried diping the dummy in my cuppa but still she wont suck on it.

Was HORRIFIED the first time and the secong with the bare clippers i cried and cried... to fix it he needs almost a full shave

deancey- i get that too... ATM he's been trying to use the loo all by himself and (***TMI ALERT ****) But when he's wiping he's putting poop everywhere.. Not nice, especially when its ususlly when Tiahna is screaming. Also i sound like i'm lucky with the sleeping... Also being able to Dream feed... except sometimes she'll sleep through the whole feed and then wake up when she's done.

NaNa- whats Fluffy mail???? Also i agree with being adventurous my son eats the most yummiest sounding meals at daycare,.....

Tiahna has been a bit off today... crying like she's in pain all day... sleeping for 15-25 mins then waking up crying... cant figure out whats wrong... had a slight increase in temp 38.3 not sure if thats too hot she's usually about 37 with my thermometre. i gave her a small dose of panadol few minutes ago so we'll see if it helps out.

Jess - substitute "formula or whatever milk baby is having" for breastmilk anywhere in my previous post... I shoulda just said milk, but then someone mighta thought I meant cows milk... and that's not on. Too confusing. Yeah, I agree about not liking the idea of using a dummy to give food, but then I dont use a dummy full stop. And I LIKE playing with my food heheheh! The carers at the childcare centre used to hate me for giving the kids couscous for lunch, because so much of it would end up where it didn't really belong, but the kids all loved it so much, and I used to encourage playful eating. I'm naughty.
    Fluffy mail is the big box of MCN (modern cloth nappies) I just received. The cutest, fuzziest bum-wear! I must get over to the cloth nappy forum and proclaim my addiction!
    And Aadi has been asleep in his pram for over 2 and a half hours now. I'm not even going to take him out until he wakes up, because I'm loving having no 5 o'clock grizzlies, and eating dinner with BOTH HANDS (yes, I used my hands!). Am I going to pay for this later? No sleep for NaNa tonight? Maybe...

well we had an awesome night last nigh. Liam was fed by DH EBM at 8.30 I expressed when I got home from dancing and went to bed. I was woken by Liam at 2.30am for feed and then not again until 7am. OMG that is perfect.
    He has been a dream today I had my GFs little girl over to play with Jordan so he was entertained today. He has gone to sleep after a few screams and cries but he so needed it.
    I am glad everyone seems to be going so well.

Nana- i though i had actually typed what you wrote about substituting breast ,ilk for formula but must have been distracted... Didnt want Dan to think you could only use breast milk... Thanks for clearing it up though... i love some of your ideas for babies first foods... anyone know how long food can be frozen for??? when can i start making little serves for the freezer???
    I know its a while off tiahna is only 2 months tomorrow.... also hope you get some sleep tonight..

Deancey- YAY on liams sleep... i have had 2 awesome nights in my own bed... so nice to get the long sleeps and not be on the lounge... hopefully they'll continue...

Well DP is at work tonight so its me and the kids... I put jordan to bed and he's asleep but now Tiahna is awake and wanting to be picked up... might give her a little bit more of a feed and try to get to bed early for once...

Hope you all have a good night.

OMG! Get the champagne! Aadi slept for 9 hours straight last night!!
    We had a pretty rough day yesterday, with wind and hiccups and no more than 2 half-hour naps, but after a bath with lavender oil, a massage and being wrapped up tight, he finally slept at 9pm. We were supposed to go and get his needles yesterday, but I decided to wait till next week as he was so unsettled.
    BBs were about to burst this morning...
    Now, after a feed and a change, he's asleep again. I REALLY hope this is the start of a regular sleep pattern. I feel almost human again!!

Jess, you can freeze food safely for about 3 months, and up to 6 months in most freezers, longer in a deep-freeze. But I'm going to wait until Aadi's started on solids and just prepare what's in season then. If there's something yummy available then (like mangoes and raspberries!) I'll definitely freeze some of that for later. Cooking and long-term freezing can remove some nutrients from foods, so I wouldn't get too carried away just yet... Another thought, rather than just regular ice-cube trays to freeze portions of food in - I got some cheapo silicon mini-muffin trays that can be frozen. They're a bit bigger than ice-cube trays, so suitable for freezing slightly larger portions for when bubba is ready for bigger serves. Freeze and then pop out the meal-popsicles into a sandwich bag. I use them already for stuff like extra egg whites left over from a recipe, or citrus juice, or whatever I've got in bulk from the markets coz it's in season. oh, and individual serves of the peach sorbet I made last summer... yum.
    OK, I'm delirious and a bit nutty from too much sleep, and I'm just babbling! Who started talking about food?? I could go on and on if you let me... but this is a baby buddies thread, I'll get kicked out!
    Have a wonderful day everyone!!

i am so cranky i wrote a big post of personals yesterday and my laptop died and i lost it all grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

nana: woooo hooo withe h 9hrs sleep ur so lucky. jayda did a once off one like that and i felt bad cause i thought i didnt wake up for her feed lol.

jayda is only 9 weeks but she is moving around so much. we put her on the floor and 10min later she is in a dif spot she wiggles around so much. And i think i am going to have to get one of those antiroll thing for her cot cause no matter how hard i tuck her in she still end up up the top right hand corner all squished up.

i am tryin to stretch out her feeds to see if i can get her back to drinking over 100mls at a time instead of 50mls every 1.5hrs. is there anythign else i can do?

jess: how did everything go with ur moving r u all settled proply yet. we still have a few things to unpack which i prob shold just throw out, if we havnt needed them yet i dont think we will lol.

Hi ladies

Sorry i have been missing for a while. Lachlan has been really trying lately so i am trying to spend more time with him.. He is finally asleep now Poor thing he is getting his two year old molars at the moment so i really feel for him.

Its great ot hear that everyones bubs are sleeping better. Abbie sleeps through the night most nights now so i cant complain. She moves around so much when she is on the floor now. And she really wriggles and nearly comes out of her bouncer so i have to buckle her in now cause i was naughty and did not always buckle her in.

Sorry there are too many posts to catch up on but hopefully i will get on here each day to keep up to date. Abbie has just done a big poo so i had better go and change her.

Take care
    Nikki

Hey everyone..
    Just a quick one for me today, i know i haven't done personals or been on for a few days ive been busy trying to think of marketing ideas for my mums catering business and have spent so much time on computer doing flyers etc. Hamish has done a couple of 5hr night sleeps but nothing any longer and still feeding regularly during day. I took him to my chiro today as i was worried about shape of his head after being stuck in labour. She was amazed he was sleeping etc at all, she said his head was very distorted at the sides which caused alot of the behavours i had mentioned to her (not being able to bring up wind, constipation, feeding often etc). I was a bit dubios about taking him so young but heard so many great things from family and friends of her work with babies as young as a day old. Anyway she worked on him for around 15 min or so, we left i fed him and he has now been asleep for 3 hours, crossing fingers it helps him sleep better at night. We have to go back next week but i can already see the shape of his head has changed.

I best be off to get some washing done, or maybe just relax feels like i have been a crazy women last few days.

Well we've had the worst day... After a GREAT night sleep today Tiahna has been so out of sorts. She's been crying all day, sleeps for 10 mins and wakes up. I've given her colic stuff as she's had bad wind pain all day and cant manage to get it all out... everytime i pit her to sleep she wakes up as soon as i put her down... DP is working nights and i'm exhausted... My head is pounding from her crying all day... I havent been getting many letdowns last few days now she's awake again ... best be off sorry no personals...

Sass, LMK and ABB, i'll read your posts later and add personals... Hope everyone is well... think i'm in for a rough night... Guess i deserve it for braging about my great lil sleeper...

Hello Ladies

well all going well here. Zali still has some wind issues but the Brauers Colic Relief is working wonders... she is sleeping well at night, goes to bed at 11:30pm and wakes any time between 4:30am-7:30am.

She still has not learnt to roll over just yet, I am not sure if it is because we still swaddle her at night or what??

She is very active though, her little hands and legs move like crazy all the time when she is awake, something is always moving on her.

Got her hip scan results today and she has been diagnosed with Hip Displaysia Type IIa, not sure how bad that is so we are off to see a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon to discuss it further. Fingers crossed all is good.

NaNa yay on great sleep and thanks for the food advice.

Jess - sorry you had a bad day yesterday, hope today has been better for you!

I hope all is going well for everyone else, sorry bub has just woken up and is getting cranky, better go see what is going on.

Cheers

Mecil

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast