Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Babies Born November 2007

Hi everyone!

Well, the monster is awake, but is just hanging out in his bouncer. It's been 10 minutes and he hasn't started to grizzle yet, perhaps velcro baby is finally starting to like his own company?

Oh bugger, spoke too soon - anyway - hi to all - I've been lurking and wish I could post more!

xx suse

Hi everyone

I think the reason our litle man was so unsettled last week was a combinatin of a 6 week growth spurt, weather of 30 to 41 degrees for a week, and reflux that made him so unsettled. The last few days he has been much better. We have 2 more 40 degree days coming up, which I am not looking forward too, particularly as we have to go in the car for my 6 week check up with the obgyn. He just seems to get so hot in his car seat, no matter how high we have the air con on. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

The new parents group (mothers group) being run through our local council is so overwhelmed with new mums that they told me last week that they couldn't fit me in the current group,and that I would have to wait until March to start. I was not at all imprssed when I was told this. Luckily for me DH was with me and he said that was not acceptable, and that we needed support and that we were to be in the current group. MCHN then left the room to speak to the other MCHN, and when she came back she said that I could go into the current group, which starts on 16 Jan. Yay!! I am a very social person, and have really been looking forward to starting with a mothers group ( very annoyed at the Christmas delays). Will be great to meet some new mums who live near me, and enjoy our babies together.

Krisp- it sees that we have the same babies!! My DS is fine in his bainet overnight- waking 1-2 times for feeds. But he really doesnt like sleeping in it during the day. At the moment am I just working around this problem, letting him sleep in his rocker, his pram, the car, the baby bjorn. I will try at least once a day to get him to sleep in his basinet, but if he kicks up too much of a stink, I am not pushing it too hard. Ithink as he gets a bit older, I will start to try a bit more. Just not very good at doing the whole leaving him to cry thing ATM.

Other than that DS has almost hit 4.5kg, and is now 57cm long.

Anyway better had off to get some sleep now, as I am sure DS will be awake in a few hours for a feed.
    Last edited by EJE; January 8th, 2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typing mistake

Well I knew I'd jinx myself by bragging about how wonderful our nights have been

Didn't do as well last night, still slept from 6pm till 7am but had 4 feeds during that time, so that's an extra one in there somewhere! He still fed, settled and slept well so that's the main thing. I think I'm only feeling it a bit because I was stoopid and stayed up till about 11pm last night when I could have been sleeping from about 8pm!

LOL Willow - he only had the extra feed because he 'knew' his mum needed the sleep!

Euan the amazing velcro baby didn't go down till 12:30 lat night (1:30 by the time I got to sleep) and is up at 7:30. Ie, early enough to knacker me, but not early enough for me to go back to sleep before I have to take DP to work. They plan it, I'm sure!!

EJE - we have the same problem - we'll have to turn the air-con down because he'll be cold, but his back will be hot and sweaty. Same goes if we use a sheepskin, but then we're in the tropics whereas you guys get that dry heat. Try a sheepskin liner, it might help.

Everyone else, can't get back to previous page to see what everone else is up to (darn Mac mouse) 'cos I'm one handing it ATM, butt hope all is well. Have six week checkup today!!

Well, we had our 6 week checkup. Notwithstanding that the drs scales are calibrated differently to the MCHNs - he is now 4.85 kg (290gm up on last week's weigh in at the MCHN - which is why it can't be right - I think the scales are about 100gm out TBH), 58cm and 39cm HC. My big boy!

I spoke to the dr about the MCHN's concern about his weight gain - the dr asked me if I'd be worried if he wasn't getting weighed. I said no, that I figured that he wouldn't be sleeping for 7 hour stretches at night and longer if he was hungry. She said good, don't worry - he's perfectly fine, and that she'd only worry if he was putting on less than 100gm per week (he's averaging 130). I also told her about his sleeping pattern (or lack thereof) and she asked me if I went to sleep at the same time every night? Yeah, right - talking to the ultimate classic insomniac and night time reader!

So I'm very happy to hear that he is going well! He was exceptionally adorable at the clinic - had a huge sook at getting his nappy taken off for the weigh in - the ultimate torture for my little guy, but apart from that was as cute as a button and charmed the receptionists silly. And, after a feed at the clinic, he went straight back to sleep and didn't even wake when I got him out of the car seat - that was at 3:30 and he's still asleep. WTF? Someone must have been tired after yesterday's marathon, but I shudder to think what he'll be like when I have to pick his dad up at 9:00 tonight. Mummy should use this time wisely and get dinner ready instead of playing around on BB, she thinks.

After contemplating trying to start establishing a routine I've decided that I'll just go with the flow. I'm sure there'll be days when he's good and sleeps when I'd like him to sleep, and there'll be days when all he wants to do is play/feed/cry/whatever. But even though I love hearing about what everyone else's bubs are doing - I think that there is the temptation to compare bubs - eg: so and so's bub is sleeping well - why isn't mine? Oh, and so and so's bub is feeding well/talking/etc, etc. And it is so easy to want our babies to be an amalgam of all of the good things about everybody else's babies - probably the mum with the fantastic night sleeper (this week, anyway) has a rotten day sleeper, or one that isn't putting on quite as much weight, but when we are worried about our bub's behaviour we tend to focus on that one aspect of behaviour and not the big picture.

So I've decided to trust my instincts a little more, not to worry and over analyse his behaviour - and just enjoy the good days and deal with the bad days as best as I can! I'm sure there's a mighty big rod that I'm creating for my own back somewhere in this, but I'll deal with that later!

(And you are all welcome to laugh at me next week when he is 'little demon' again and I am neurotic as anything - it's so easy to be logical when they are asleep, isn't it!).

And you are all welcome to laugh at me next week when he is 'little demon' again and I am neurotic as anything - it's so easy to be logical when they are asleep, isn't it!
    Suse - you got nothing on me hun! I'm up and down like a bloody yo-yo! My moods directly reflect my son's sleeping habits - what a loser

Willow, I am going to hop on a plane to Sydney and come and spank you girl - you are NOT a loser - you are a typical sleep deprived mum doing a FANTASTIC job!!!

Wow you have all been busy posting!!

I have not had time to even think about the computor today. My BIL dropped his 2 DD's off this morning (8yo and 3yo) at 7.15am and picked them up at 8pm so along with my 2 i have run around like a headless chicken all day. I have decided that i do not want 4 kids, lol. Boy were they full on. Because they got here so early and stayed so late i had to feed all of them b/fast, lunch and dinner. It was also my playgroups 1st meet up since Xmas so i took them all to that- hard work is all i can say esp with a non co-operative 3yo and a 21month old who hasnt had a sleep! They pestered me for a sleep over and felt dreadful saying no but 12.5hrs was enough for me. My house looks like a bomb has gone off and poor Molly is rather unsettled by it all.

Well Molly had a rough night last night getting up 3 times and has hardly slept today. (mind you cant blame her with all the noise from the other kids.) She is starting to smile more each day esp when i take her nappy off to change her. It really is quite strange DD1 would sit in a dirty nappy and it wouldnt faze her but with Molly she gets very unsettled if i let her sit in it too long. We are consequently going through and average of 12 nappies a day. She is that much happier with it off that i have even been giving her nappy off time when she is playing on the floor.

Well the little monkey is crying again so i best go. will try and do personals soon
    Nat

Well glad to hear everyone is surviving! Congrats to all the bubbas on being brave for their needles too - a big achievement!

So I went to my ante-natal reunion on Sunday, really glad I went too. Had a great time and it was really good to have some adult stimulation, everyone was really friendly. As it turns out lots of the girls were going to the 1st time mums group at my health centre as well so that was great- so I decided I'd go to that as well!
    We toddled off on Tuesday morning and everyone seemed to have a great time, coffee and biscuits and a physio telling us the importance of our pelvic floor exercises! A bunch of us have decided to make the ante0-natal reunion lunch a once a month thing which will be nice. Also came up with a "cooking bee" - once a week we each prepare a large meal and portion it out for lunches, so the group of us all have a different meal for each day of the week, or in the freezer or whatever - just to make sure that we are eating well (since most of us eat 2 minute noodles of biscuits for lunch otherwise!!)

Charlotte is being really good - the fists are still the flavour of the week...shes now discovered that is not one fist but two! YAY! lol Very vocal now too, we chat away to each other all day it seems hehehe. Slowly getting the hang of this "bed time" thing too...although she often takes a couple of hours to get fully settled, she doesn't cry or scream so I think I'm VERY lucky there (knock wood) Shell fall asleep and go down and then a few minutes later realises I'm not there and starts getting all jiggity again, so we have another cuddle. We do a lot of co-sleeping to which is nice.
    Been feeding for a LONG time (like an hour each feed!) for the last day or so - hopefully we'll be having another growth spurt! (byebye newborn nappies!)

Daryl is back tonight so thats nice, just got home from the airport and he and the bump are passed out in bed now...so good to have the man home!! Will be really nice to have someone in the bed with me that cuddles ME for once lol Going to go sleep and enjoy my man just being in the same room as me now... personals tomorrow!

x

PS - the sink is STILL shiny too! ;P

Hi everyone
    Finally got on here this week. have been so busy!

EJE - I'm so glad you got into the mothers group you were supposed to. I found out yesterday that I missed out on a mothers group for the 3-8 week group here. Was not at all impressed. My CHN did not mention mothers groups to me at all during my 2.5 week visit. Apparenlty they don't tell you about them if they are all full, because they don't want you to be disappointed, well I was disappointed I can tell you! So I kicked up a bit of a stink and they are organising a bunch of new groups for Feb and I will get to go in one of them. The problem is by that stage Jacob will be about 3 months and I could be in a group with lots of 3-8 week olds. Although they have assured me there are lots of other mums with bubs around 3months that missed out on the last intake as well. I had organised one with some mums I met online which has been great, but most of their bubs are a fair bit older than Jacob.

Suse - thats great news on the weight gain. Sounds like you have a great dr. Hehe - on trying to go with the flow. Its true, its so easy to say that when they are asleep and looking all angelic.

Hoody - sounds like you need a good lie down with all those kids. You are very very brave!!

Limeslics - love the idea of the cooking bee!! Oh and have checked out the flylady site too, might have a clean house here too soon.

Well Jacob and I went to pilates on Wednesday and he slept the whole time which meant I got to do a whole session. it was so nice to be doing something active and for me!! Although I'm a bit sore today. He seems to be coming back to liking day sleeps again (although not long ones), so maybe things are settling down again. Nights aren't too bad, although he fed at midnight last night and then decided it was play time for another hour (was not happy about that at all). He then fed again at about 3:30 but was up again at 5 with terrible wind pains. He has had this a bit lately so I spoke to the CHN at the chemist and she has suggested the Brauer Colic Relief to give him just before the last feed overnight. Will see how that goes.

Off to make dinner!

Just a quick update. Even though last night was really really hot, DS had the best nights sleep ever! Even sent DH in to check on him at one stage as he had been asleep for 4 hours!!
    All went well at my 6 week check up.
    DS is still awake ATM and wanting to play- hoping DH will get him to sleep soon, so I can go to bed. Hope everyone else managed to get through the heat.

Hello Everyone,

How are you all keeping? We are doing OK. Miss Molly is a bit unsettled but i think she has a nasty tummy ache as she hasnt had a bowel movement for 3 days now. I know they say that when BF they can often go a couple of days etc but i'm not sure if this is normal to stop pooing so suddenly. B4 this time she was going 4-5 times a day. She is passing lots of wind and i can tell you it smells. I tell you they always have you worrying over one thing or another. At the moment she is asleep on the couch on her tummy which isnt good i know but its the only way i could put her down without her crying. She has me paranoid so i keep checking she is still breathing.

Limeslice- glad to hear you have your DP home it must be lovely to have some company. You are very strong to cope while he is away. I love the idea if the cooking bee wish i had ppl here to do that with.

June- sorry to hear you missed out the mums group this time around thats really unfortunate. I hope when you go to the one in feb there are some bubs the same age. With DD1's playgroup all the bubs were between 1-9 wks old and my DD was the oldest. At first i felt a bit out of place but all the brand new mummies looked to me for advice as dd was always a tiny bit more infront- first to roll, crawl start solids etc. Once they got past he 1st couple of months though the weeks between when they were born melted away and you wouldnt know who was older etc.

EJE- well done on the 4 hr sleep

Hi everyone,

Hoody - hope that Miss Molly's finally had a big poo and her tummy's feeling better. Poor little bugger - she's probably saving up a monster one for you! Nasty. Dunno about anyone else, but Euan's have been getting smellier and smellier day by day. I think that it must be that they start off quite inoffensive really, so you wonder what all of the fuss is about, then wham, they hit you...

Limeslice - yay on Daryl being home. I bet he misses his girls when he is away! Euan has discovered fists too - he's working out that he can fit most of one into his mouth. He also has finally realised that his hands belong to him - he's been reaching out and grabbing things deliberately. It's very cool.

June - yay on the pilates, not so yay on the mums' group. Hope you get something sorted out soon.

EJE - yay on the 4 hours sleep!

Well, you don't want to hear about this little guy's monster sleep last night. Went down at 10:30 after no sleep all day, I figured he'd be up at 4:00, but no, slept through 6:30 (my boobs nearly fell off), then back at 8:00 until 10:00. Flippen heck. Then slept from 4 - 7:30 this afternoon. It's now 12;30 and I've just (I hope) got the little man back to sleep - he was hyper up until about 20 minutes ago.

He's been really cute lately - smiley and happy (most of the time), and still complete velcro baby that won't be left alone for 5 minutes, but at least he's happy and cuddly when he's awake.

Right, I'm off to bed...

Good night all!

Hi everyone

Hoody- I would't worry too much about the lack of poo. My little man was doing a few every day until recently. Now it is one every 2-3 days. My GP said this was completely fine for a BF baby. The funny thing is that I have missed changing his nappy for the last 3- DH has had them, and they have been monster ones!!! Tee hee hee.

Suse- nice to hear about your happy little man. DS has been smiling heaps for me too. He has also started turning his head and following me when I leave the room.

Limeslice- hope Daryl is enjoying the company of his girls.

DS has been fantastic over the last few days. We went to a friends house for dinner last night, and he was all smiley when we arrived, then slept whilst I ate dinner. Little grizzle and a feed after that, then went to sleep, and slept all the way home, and for the transfer into his bassinet unil 3am- total of 5 hours sleep!!

Today for the first time ( after 3 attempts with settling) he went to sleep in his own room in his basinet- for 3 1/2 hours!! Then 2 hours later after a feed and bath he fell asleep in his rocker, and is now all tucked up in bed. Am hoping he will have another good sleep, so I can. Yey little man.

Start mums group this week- very excited.

Off to bed now

Suse- omg how lucky are you for that monster sleep! I bet your boobs were ready to fall off. DD went for 6.5 hrs last night and my BB's were very full when i woke.

EJE- glad you are having a few good days it really helps when they are happy and content and doing all the right things.

Well we have had a ***** weekend. Yesterday both girls were monsters (really i think someone swapped them sometime before we go up in the morning) Molly is still very gassy and unsettled. Still no poo and its day 4 i know it can be normal but its still worrying me. She has been a bit of a star today though with lots of sleep and nice awake time. DD1 on the other hand had ANOTHER big asthma attack which meant we ended up at the hospital again. Its the 3rd one in 9wks and i'm over it. Today it took 2 nebulisers to get her breathing under control however her oxygen levels where still only 92-95%. She is back on redipred (a steroid) and also antibiotics for tonsilitis so we should see a big improvement tomo. The Dr said under normal circumstances he would have admitted her but because i have Molly and BFing it would have been very hard for me as i wouldnt want to leave her in their alone and couldnt stay with Molly. It also helped as we are only a 4-5 min drive from the hosy so should we need to go back its not that far. I jsut hope Molly doesnt get the tonsilitis.

Wow! Lots of posts. I guess I must not have been here for a while.

Glad to hear things are picking up (except for you Hoody, bummer about the asthma). LOL EJE about the boobies falling off

As for us, doing HEAPS better still. Caden has a grumbly time between 12 and 4 off and on and is tired but just grumbles. I pretty much leave him in his cot when he does this and then after a while get him up for a break. He is sleeping really well at night and even though I am getting about 7 hours a night, I feel even more tired now than when I was getting 5 hours! I guess I have about 11 weeks worth to catch up on, which really means I should be getting 9 hours each night, oh well...

Just a quick one cos I have housework to do before DS wakes up.

Have a great week everyone!

Just having a quick read and its good to see some of our lovely babies are being kind and starting to have longer sleeps at night. Jacob is also going with this trend. Last night we got a 5 hour sleep and the night before a 6 hour sleep. On Sunday after his 6 hour sleep he fed at 4am and then went down for another 4 hours, which meant we got a sleep in. Couldn't believe it! We were pretty happy with, although I woke up in a bit of a panic.

God Hoody sounds like the asthma is keeping you on your toes. I hope it settles down for you. Juggling two must be hard. Thinking of you. Hopefully Molly has a nice poo soon. Although if it is a monster one like the ones we have had here lately you will need to have a mop and bucket ready.

New thread time

Love

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678