Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #2

LizzysMum Guest

Bec,

I feel a bit the same. I am a bit sad I won't be having any more kids but I know 2 is enough for me and I am very lucky to have my 2 girls. I have not spoken to anyone about the actual birth. It was a really powerful thing as I was determined to have a very natural birth with no drugs etc and most of my RL friends are very mainstream and think I am a hairy legged hippy.

I am comfortable with my inner hippy so it doesn't bother me, but it would be noce to share such a fantastic experience. I will probably get to next time our cloth nappy group meets up as they understand where I am coming from.

Congrats Trish and welcome little Kieran!

Re - Rashes, Amara has little rashes on her face and head, I asked the middy and she said newborns get all kinds of funny rashes, it is their skin getting used to the air. I am hoping they go soon as they do look a bit yukky.

Eliza ended up having a good day, I am worse than she is about it LOL!

i find telling people about my birth has helped me deal with it. any labour is a traumatic thing and i do believe it has to be worked through, especially if it differed considerably from your expectations.

i am only just starting to feel a bit less traumatised about it now. even told an old couple at the coffee shop about it. just helps to tell it.

went to gp today. i was right, gigantor has cracked 5kg. i'll have arms like a wrestler before long.

james gets little rashes and stuff. sometimes tiny spots on his face or the odd mini-pimple if he passes out skin to skin in the heat.

i need to ask this question of everyone. contraception? what are you going to do? had the GP put the hard word on me today (very softly) and now i need to think about it.

she says dh can't get the snip for 12 mths because james is our first. the alternative i'm thinking of is Mirena IUD. otherwise i can see myself getting knocked-up again by accident and we can't have that!

congrats trish! The last octo-baby! well, one born in oct, i suspect there will be a few novo-bubs sneaking in. Like us sneaky september babies!

Birth is a funny thing, esp when it doesn't meet your expectations. I find talking about it helps too. I also think that although nothing went to plan, i did the best i could given my situation. So i don't beat myself up about it too much, although it does cross my mind still.

Bec- feel free to debrief here! that's what we are here for. If you feel you need a professional debrief i know that there are people that offer that service. What state are you in?

Way to go James on craking the 5kg! Contraception- abstinence is the key! When i do let him come near me (2008) will be using condoms, (although that is how Falguni came about, too much champagne, kinda forgot!) pill doesn't agree with me. Had implanon- whoa, sent me crazy, i turned into *****-wife-from hell. Dont know much about IUD, kind of scares me having a permanent thing in there....
    Is that normal procedure that your DH can't have the snip for 12 months bc it's your first. Seems odd they can specify that?!

Glad E had a good day Leah. hopefully no tears next time! Wish i could go to a cloth nappy meet up! BTW most of my friends think i am a bit of a tree hugging hippy too. so don't talk much to them about "stuff"!!! Should hear some of the comments and looks i get with the MCN, which reminds me, Kidzincloth nappies rock, great fit, no leaks, nice and trim.

Whoa- that was one cracker explosion in the nappy, surprised you didn't all hear it. better go tend to that.

wow Viv! So did u have a stack of newborn nappies? Do they fit?
    Cause i still have 2x boxes of Newborns which i am thinking of returning to upgrade to the next size and Tyron isnt yet 4kg's.

Took Ty to the Paed today. He was 55cm long which means he grew 3.5cm in 2 1/2weeks! and 3.85kg. Paed was pretty negative about my bf problems though, he rekons now Tyron is going on 3 weeks old and hasnt taken to the boob he never will....... i am still trying but not getting very far and its getting rather frustrating and time consuming expressing all the time.
    he also recommended a karicare thickener if he continues to be so spewy, have u tried that yet Ursula?

Leah- oh it must have been tough to see Eliza upset, i will prob be the same once Nix starts going to day care or preschool, but i dont think he'd be one bit upset rather happy to run amok with other kids!

contraception - dont have sex!! lol seriously im thinking about that IUD thing and will ask OB at my 6week check up. Last time OB gave me a script for the mini pill but i never took it because i heard it can lessen your milk supply. well this time around if i cant feed Tyron it might be ok once i am sick of expressing. so havent yet decided exept we definatley dont want any accidents occuring!

LOL Ange- hope u had fun changing that nappy! by the time Tyron is out of nappies i will have been changing nappies every day for 3-4years oh my god!

There is actually a birth debreif section on BB which i found helpful with my last birth experience. Havent had time to reflect back on this one, or rather dont want to get upset about it not happening the way i had hoped.

Well we are back from our first big day out - just the two of us!!!

Congratulations Trish on the birth of Kieran

Leah - sorry to hear that you and E were upset but pleased to hear she had a great day in the end. How was your day with Amara?

WTG James on reaching the 5kg mark, Viv I'll join you with being up in the middle of the night except when we get up on goes the TV - I've learnt all about proactive, the fit ball and tried to win money on the Mint. Never thought I'd manage being a night person but so far we are coping - what about you?

Nic - no haven't tried the thickener yet, do you remember Storm from BB she used it with Angel and it was so hard to dissolve in the formula, it did work abit for her as well until they found out her main issue was lactose intolerant rather than reflux. At end of post I'll explain everything the GP said today.....Have you done anything abt the crib wedge, as far as I know Toys r Us are the only stockists. If you have trouble locating them let me know and I will get it for you and then we can just met up if you wish....

Bec - the birth debrief is a good idea and sometimes just the act of putting it into words or discussing with someone helps to put things into perspective. That said I went into my last labour with so many negative expectations from my previous labour that I've yet to put into words I surprised myself. When I have more time I do intend to write my birth story. I agree abt mourning the loss of future pregnancies and children. I said all through last pregnancy that I was never doing it again, I don't cope well with pregnancy, plus think I'm getting old and tired but gees it is so hard to be final abt it all I look at other pregnant woman and think of Wow I would like to do that again, plus DP has already asked abt going again but I really think I must stand firm and be grateful and I do feel very blessed for my own prince and princess.

Now contraception - what a dirty word - LOL!!! Fortunately isn't an issue for us - look at ticker it's pretty self-explanatory......

Ok so went to GP today we are moving from S26 Gold to S26 and cos Maddison likes drinking water keep offering her the water. He striped her down and palpitated her tummy and said he couldn't feel any retained faeces (yucky word - TMI). Quite common for formula fed babies to have firmer and less frequent poos than BF, if she was going for 3-4 days without a poo then would be cause for concern. Doesn't think she has reflux but is perhaps a bit colicky and having trouble releasing her wind. Her leg kicking (looks like she is trying to start a motorbike) and the squealing couple hours after feed are more colic related than reflux. He said to use Infacol which I did at her last two feeds and she is so quiet and peacefully sleeping - the burps she did after the bottle were massive. So even though she was burping well before he things the little pockets of air were building up and that's why her symptoms were becoming more obvious and more spewy cos the milk was settling on top of the air pockets. Continue with what we are doing with not laying flat, being upright and just letting gravity do the job and keeping her milk in her tummy. He also said that most babies are born with some amt of reflux cos their bodies are still adjusting and he thinks over-reacting with medication and intervention can hinder the babies ability to just grow out of it. Makes sense to me. He did say if I felt it got worse in the next couple of weeks to come back, but he also said true reflux would see me and Maddison much more distressed. So all in all I feel much more comfortable, relieved to be off the S26 Gold and my goodness she just keeps sleeping.......

If you read this far - congratulations

LOL- Ursula and your contraception comment!

GP comments all sound positive, glad maddison is sleeping peacefully now! Must be good to have a few answers.
    Last edited by Junglemum; November 1st, 2007 at 05:11 PM.

Well Kaylee has had another unsettled day = won't go to sleep in her bed at all, only sleeping in the sling... guess she just wants to be close to mummy!! But mummy really would like a nap! And she has been crying quite hysterically for no apparent reason too - pain??

Ursula - after reading your post re GP visit, sounds like Maddison & Kaylee are very similar... So switching to regular S26 rather than a different brand if the way to go?? As from reading the other posts here was considering Karicare, but very hesitant to switch... was told swapping and changing can cause them to get an upset tummy. The child health nurse (CHN) said Kaylee isn't constipated, also wasn't concerned about her little spews etc = apparently their valve at the top of their tummy is a lot looser than adults and therefore naturally they are more likely to have some milk come-up etc. She didn't think it was reflux or colic! I still think she is having 'pain' of some sort. She isn't so keen on the water, but have managed to get her to drink it on a few occasions. CHN said she should be having an average of 120-150ml per feed and if she still wants more after that we should give her water - when she won't take the water but still demanding more I have been giving her 20ml F mixed with 20ml of water. I'm not too concerned if she has more in a feed, as some feeds she is having less - iykwim. Sorry for the long response!

Oh, and what is Infacol?? Is that specifically for colic?

Contraception = condoms at this stage, all we were using B4 Kaylee too! I find all hormonal style contraceptives mess my hormones up too much and make me very moody! At my 6-week check with GP was going to inquire about a diaphragm.

C-section ladies - I was told by one of the m/w I should wait at least 2-years before having another baby to allow everything to heal really well and give my tummy a good break etc! Was anyone else told this??

What is a "HAB"?

With SS = I like that idea Nic, but can I suggest we simply say something for mum & something for bubs with a maximum spend of $20 (plus postage)... e.g. you might be able to pick something FAB for bubs for $8, then you have $12 to spend on mum or vice-versa??

Nappies - just out of curiosity are you using disposable or cloth??
    And either way, which brand(s)?

Welcome back Belle! Would love to hear from you on email, when you have time... and finally have that coffee LOL!

Hug a bub- HAB its a type of sling peta. It's great b/c bub is firm against your chest and you have both hads free. Also distributes weight evenly over shoulders, so i find it good for my back,

Cloth nappies here- all sorts!

Sorry you haven't managed to sleep. Its hard being depended/relied on 24/7 sometimes. I find it can be a little overwhelming, esp. at 3am! Hope you get a break soon.

L and i just had a bath together, first she spewed in it, then she crapped! Noice, classy lady! LMAO

Kaylee - to answer some of your questions. GP said sticking with the same brand would probably help lower the chance of her getting an upset tummy, like you said chopping and changing brands is not good for bubs. Other thing he mentioned in regards to S26 is that across they range they offer a broad range of options such as S26 AR (anti-reflux), S26 LF (lactose-free), S26 Soy so there are options if something were to develop. Infacol Wind Drops is a medication (drops) that can be purchased from a chemist, coles, woollies etc that helps to relieve the wind. You add it to the formula just before feeding (0.2ml - I use 3 drops) it really helps them burp and get rid of all the wind. In fact when it is added to their bottles no matter how much you shake the bottle no bubbles will appear. It isn't just for colic it stops the build-up of wind which can develop into colic. From what you described Kaylee doing today, sounds just like what Maddison was doing yesterday - she just wanted to be upright and even when I thought she was asleep would wake back up within minutes of putting her down - I tell you it was an exhausting day and had me in tears. HAB is a hug-a-bub is a material wrap thingy that allows you to wear your baby, you can get pictures that will describe it better if you just google the words. Hope this helps...I really need to know how to write more concisely!

Nappies - using disposables here, currently happy with Huggies no leaking issues and they fit well.

Ange - well done on the bath made me laugh - noice one Luella!!! Share the love I say!!!

By the way regarding SS I'm happy to go along with whatever the general consensus is.......
    Last edited by Ursula; November 1st, 2007 at 08:27 PM.

Contraception= BAD WORDS in our house...lol

Condoms...eeek... pill...eeek....no sex..ekkk

Undecided wat we will do....id prefer nothing..but we wanna wait 12 month b4 next baby.....

nappies; using coles brand, which are leaking, think I need to go up a size, and huggies. Will probably switch to using huggies at night when he starts going longer between feeds, and coles during the day.

contraception; non hormonal IUD, or condoms...will decide by the time I go to the 6 week check.

TJ had his one month check today. In 9 days, he's put on 560g! Piglet!

Hope all you guys are going well.

Ursula - THANK YOU, your answers were very easy to understand and helpful !! I have been reading through the threads in the formula feeding section on here too...

We are currently using Huggies newborn nappies... but have a whole heap of cloth MCNs - tried some fitted nappies today and she soaks through them SO quick I had to change her so often.

Contraception in our house is NO SEX!!!!! Ha Poor DH! Seriously though probably just be condoms! But I dont think it will be happening for a while! I am bit nervous actually about DTD again!
    Nappies we are using Huggies at the moment and having no worries about leaking! I am more worried about the chemicals on Myles bum! We ahve some Bamboo nature Disposables for him to use when he gets bigger! And we are hoping to get him in Cloth ASAP!
    Question those of you who had a episotimy (if there is anyone) can you bath with bubba! I know its been nearly 5 weeks but am a little nervous, I am sure I am all healed but dont want to stuff it up! So my Q is is it safe?

M yles slept for nearly 6 hrs last night, had a feed then back down for 4 so i am feeling great! lets hope this keeps going!
    sorry no personals today the man wants to be fed!
    xo

lucky you, ursula. running away from dh's advances is going to keep me in shape!

sounds like all our babies are having windy issues of one kind or another. i was the recipient of a full projectile milk spew this morning because he guzzled back too much from my engorged boob. sigh.

i've been letting the milk run out onto a towel which seems to help.

my doc said infacol and its counterparts are much the same and it's fairly hit n miss as to whether they work. i'm using infacol every 3rd or 4th feed because the dose is for 2 months +. my biggest problem is the changing after a feed (if he leaves me a gift) because it guarantees he'll get the hiccups from lying down.

gp says that's just him... so i suppose i have to deal with it.

so are we in agreement over the SS? something for mum & bub? *confused*

question for today (gawd this is just like when i was in early pregnancy with my daily questions).

where is your baby sleeping? (aside from Kaylee who is firmly in the sling)

james was in his cot next to my side of the bed. thing is... he makes so many funny little noises, grunts and whiffles when he sleeps that my short little 2.5 hour breaks are getting ruined. would i be a mean mother to put him in his own room now after one week.

turns out he is not interested in the sling at all (just another of the things i imagined i would do that i'm not or can't... meh).

LizzysMum Guest

Hiya,

My day with Amara was lovely she slept really well. But the night was a disaster. Had high hopes of sleep and went to bed at 9pm, Eliza decided last night was party night and would not go to sleep. Then Amara pooped, then I tooke her back to our room and she did the most humungous spew ever all over me, her and the bed arrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh. I got to bed at around 12 mn. But then she woke at 4am so that was OK I guess.

Nappies - we use cloth (modern cloth). Heaps of different brands I use them all for different reasons and times of the day (length of sleeps etc).

Contraception - my middy recommended the Mirena as it is administers the hormone locally just in the uterus not into your blood or stomach like pills etc. I took the mini pill last time for about a week and it mucked about with my milk for a bit so not going there this time. We had been using condoms since Eliza was born so unless I get brave and go for the Mirena it will be those again until I stop feeding or DH gets the snip.

Viv - maybe keep trying the sling? Amara screamed 2 times and I took her out straight away but the next time she went straight to sleep and was in it all the while I cooked dinner and then I even sat and ate dinner with her in it.

Sleeping - At night Amara slept in a snuggle bed between us for the first 2 weeks now she is in a cradle in our room on my side. During the day she sleeps in the snuggle bed on the lounge, or in the rocker or in our Natures Sway Hammock. I am trying to get her used to being a few different places so she doesn't get fixed on one place to sleep. I think during summer I will need her to be able to sleep in the loungeroom as it is the only room with air con. She will go to her own room when she has to go into a cot.

HTH,

Morning all,

Just rolling out of bed! laaaazy :yawn:

Viv- L sleeps in a basinnete next to our bed. Due to circumstances which kind of suck. (Long story, brief summary, purchace of hotel fell through, looking for plan B, living at my parents in the mean time....I KNOW! ) So we live in one room, fortunately it is a big room and we have an ensuite and a luuuurverly balcony. The down side is that we have no option to put her elsewhere as there are no spare rooms. BUT if i had a spare room i would put her in it, i am like you every snuffle wakes me up so i am not getting very good sleep. If you are anything like me sleep is very important. It is much better for everyone, if i get some sleep!

Happy mumma, happy bubba i say!

I wouldn't feel bad at all about putting him in his room. You wil hear him when he cries. Most mornings after her 7am feed, dh takes her downstairs and i sleep. I still wake up if she cries out from downstairs! Super mummy ears.

WTG myles on the sleep! Amber your stitches/episiotomy should be well and truely healed by now. Disolvable stitches would all be dissolved and gone. I would say you are pretty safe to have a bath. i had a couple of stitches and as you know have been having baths since about 2 weeks. But if you are concerned can you phone the birth centre where you had Myles and ask?

L decided last night that she couldn't get a burp out and wanted to be held from 2am-4am. She has never cried to be held before so it was a rude awakening for me. A very small insight into some of your worlds....

Good to see you Qhi, 560g in 9 days, is that some kind of record?

Planning to stay in PJ's ALL DAY today. Got a big weekend, so conserving fuel.

Nappies- currently using huggies newborn but leaking issues, going to take back the 2x unopened boxes and get the boys next size up see if that helps.
    Nixon is in Aldi nappies and at first never worked for him but been fine since about 6-7months.

c/s- no one told me either time i need to wait a certain time before falling pg again after my c/s. But i have heard that comment before. Well i fell pg with Tyron only 9months after i had Nixon and everything has been fine.

Ursula- ah yes infacol thats another thing i meant to mention that i had tried with Nixon! Havent tried it yet with Tyron but just got that thickener and put 1 scoop into his bottle (it's EBM so prob already more watery then Formula) and he only did one little spew as appose to the constant spews we've been having! dunno if it was a one off or it actually helped but i also used a different teat and bottle cause i think he was gulping too fast. So this feed took a lot longer and hope that also made a difference.
    still onyl got a towell under the bassinett matress, i want dh to go to toys r us anyway so get him to get one next time he's out, this not driving really irrates me! I'll prob last 1 more week i rekon then start driving.

i was so nakkered last night that after Ty's feed at 1am i fell asleep sitting up in bed with him on my chest. ofcourse he didnt mind! i woke up about 2.30am and put him into bed whoops! His room is right next to ours so can ehar everything anyway no need for him to be in our room.

anyway best be off Claire is on her way over i get to meet Harry! will try and get a couple of pics of the boys together, BBL

Aren't those wind drops only meant to be used in babies over a month old?

Finally got to a dr that was nice, turns out I been bleeding from some remaining product and my stitches as I'm not healing properly. I'm on heavy duty antibiotics that make me feel sick as all hell for 10 days to prevent infection and see if my body heals itself, if not its a curette and some more stitches for me fun fun..

Damn Ryan due for food soon and wanted a shower, shall bbl to write more I need my showers feel so much better afterwards lol

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast