Chasing Daylight...

Babies born ~ March 1-15 2010 # 3

This thread is for parents who's baby was born March 1st-15th 2010

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-

Astrolady ~ Administrator
    Olive ~ Senior Moderator
    ~Trish~ ~ Moderator
    Boomba ~ Moderator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Helpful Articles
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?

Helpful Forums
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Helpful Articles

Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Helpful Forums
    Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Helpful Articles
    Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Recommended Reading List

Helpful Forums
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Please note - To receive thread notifications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.
    Old thread is here.

Last edited by Astrolady; May 17th, 2011 at 11:37 AM.

Aug 2009
    Dandenong Ranges, Victoria

Bubs is teething something shocking; for the last 3 nights he has screamed from one feed to next and it's always around dinner time. I've had to give him panadol, poor thing. I wish they would just come.

I am taking him to the Osteo today, I'll let you know how he went and if it has made a difference. I wish it was me going though,lol. I always feel sore after, I hope he doesn't or it will be more panadol.

Jul 2009

I hear u QB i am struggling

Jun 2009
    in the Capital

Hi all,

I've been away for a bit as our computer has just recovered from a nasty virus. It's official, we are now moving back to Canberra at the end of September (yay!). I have so many things that need to be done so thankfully I'll be busy while DH is away.

I think we are teething.....argh!!!! I couldn't do anything right for bubs today. He has just been whingey all day. He had such a good sleep last night too (he slept from 1030 to 430). We were supposed to go out but by 11 I knew that it wasn't going to happen. So I took off our "fancy clothes" and donned the old daggies for a day at home. We'll try again tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm tired and I'm moping so I should really get off the computer and get some things done. I hope everyone else is travelling well.

Jan 2008
    Brisbane

Hi ladies,

Long time since I have last posted. I can't believe we have hit the 5 month mark already.

Lennox is a happy lil fella most of the time. He is still waking about 3 times a night but usually goes back to sleep after a feed.
    We have the top of our first tooth through. It has taken a month for it to come through and we go through a hundred bibs a day. Lucky I have just started making bibs so I have plenty of the rejects for him.

He is just started to roll a bit though not much. Happy to lay and munch on his toys.

Not much else has been happening this way. Just growing, growing, growing too quickly for me. Lucky I want more babies.

Jun 2009
    Brisbane

Prob not to much more news here - but DEFINITELY teething, growing and constanly changing.

Good to have you back Dee, Cass, Shell and QB

Jun 2009
    in the Capital

We made it out of the house yesterday. My little one was such a joy to have out. He behaved beautifully all day. We stopped in at a cafe in Freo for lunch and he sat opposite me in his pram and just smiled and chatted. Gosh he's just gorgeous! I am totally, completely, utterly smitten!

Jun 2009
    in the Capital

Hello. I've been slack of late.... posting in Facebook instead of on here. This one though isn't for facebook.

I posted this as a new thread under general discussion, but was wondering if you ladies had any ideas.

My little one is just plain old out of sorts.

Up until a week ago Robert was in a (very loose) routine. He would wake up around 5ish and have a BF, be up for about an hour (DH goes to work early so he would have a chat with him before he left) then go back to sleep for another hour - say, to 7am. Then it was up for the day, another BF. Then he would have a big morning sleep, up to 2.5hrs, followed by another 1.5-2hrs up and then a big afternoon sleep. During the day I would BF on demand. Sometimes he would also have a bit of a nap around 4. Then when DH came home he would have a play, then it was bath between 5 and 6, followed by a BF then into bed. He would then get a dreamfeed at around 10.30 or so and wake up for a feed between 2 and 3.

Well, last Monday DH left for 3 months at sea and that's where everything went to pot!

DH did the bath/bed routine and also got him up when he woke in the morning to bring into our bed for a feed and cuddle. I know he's only young, but I'm pretty sure that Robert is not impressed that this has all changed. The first couple of days were ok but since then, I can't get him to settle - firstly it was just night sleeps but for the past couple of days I can't get him to settle during the day.

Is this just coincidence or, could it be that our little one is missing his dad. He's very snuggley (read clingy) too at the moment.

He hasn't got any teeth yet (my CHN commented today though that his gums look "bumpy"). He is on solids once a day and I introduced a second "meal" today. I'm not worried about him not getting enough to eat because he has plenty of wet nappies and poos every second day and he is steadily gaining weight - he already has chubby little body thanks to his mumma's milk.

I guess what I want to know is he going through a sleep shift or, is it something else.

I would really appreciate anything you could offer in the way of advice!

Jun 2009
    Brisbane

Cass I wonder if its an age thing - Ciaran has been unsettled the last few days... not sure if its teething or what but he was sooo tired yesterday but wouldnt have a decent nap (even in the car which usually keeps him asleep for ages). He has also been restless at night for the past few - stirring as normal (which should mean food) but wont take any or open his mouth....eventually he settles but its making for a very disturbed night for me as he keeps doing it throughout the night.

*Sigh* I hope this stage passes soon...

Aug 2009

We are also having unsettled times here, last week it was around dinner time, he would just scream, I suspect that he was tired and his teeth hurt and it was all too much. This week he has been waking up early or in the middle of the night when previously he would sleep through. I am convinced it is teeth. I think in your case it is probably teeth and missing Dad, babies are smarter than we give them credit for. Try putting Robert to sleep with DH's T-shirt or something that smells like him, that may help settle him, just spread it out under his head. I did that when DS was little to try and settle him.

Otherwise it sounds as though you are doing everything right. Have you got some support whilst DH is away? Sorry I can't remember if you have said previously. It must be so hard for you missing him and looking after an unsettled baby, my heart goes out to you.

Hugs
    QB

Jul 2009
    Hobart, Tasmania

Lacie has been a bit unsettled lately too. I put it down to starting childcare and having sore gums. She also hasn't gotten any teeth yet but has those lumpy gums and little red cheeks. I think a change in routine can mess them around a bit - we have gone from full time mummy to 2 days in childcare and 1 day with my sister, and I think it is going to take a little while for our babies to adjust to differences like that. They do get set in a routine and used to being with certain people so I'd say Robert is missing your DH a bit. I like QB's idea of using a tshirt or something for the smell. I always give Lacie a bunny rug to take with her so she has something that smells like home and it seems to help a little bit.

Hope he settles down again soon x

Jul 2009

Hannah has also been unsettled
    Waking a lot at night, not going to sleep for naps during the day then other days seleeping a lot..

I think its teeth, and growing up iykwim. she is just so different atm, taking a lunch time big girl feed which she loves, she had baby rice cereal and screamed for two days straight never again will i give her that, hurt her little belly i think.

Cass i feel for you i do i hope your little man settles for you, your doing a great job it must be hard when hubby goes away for you and for Robert, they are very smart our little ones, as soon as Hannah is sick or upset or tired she wants her mummy no one else will do, Robert has prolly got used to his Dad doing these things and is like what the ? u know..he wil get used to it and i hope soon, it would be hard for him to understand..

The other sunday i almost lost it, i cried all day was all over the place felt like i was so depressed and could not cope i just broke down..next day i got my period !!!!! bloody hormones

Jan 2008
    Brisbane

So it seems like all our bubs are a bit unsettled of late. Lennox has been that way too. Waking up a lot more at night and just wanting to be with me all the time. Even the day sleeps are only lasting 40mins if that and only 3 times a day.
    I am finding it hard to try and put him to sleep when DS1 is always in my face wanting my attention too.

I actually threw a bag at my DH today I was so tired and grumpy. He is great but the last few days he has done nothing at all, except make more mess for me to clean up. He was meant to take DS1 to daycare today but was running late, so after no sleep I had to get up and dress him and walk him there. So I was a tad grumpy at him. I feel bad for it now though...Oops

Anyways we have 1 tooth that has popped through, I think it is cutting into his top gum as all he wants to do is suck boobie. Tried a dummy...no such luck. Oh well.
    I can hear him chatting and screaming (a fun screaming) which is cute but a bit annoying lol.

Still waiting for AF here. I can feel it coming on as my hormones have been through the roof. I am getting some cramping pain but I am worried it's another silly cyst on my ovary. I have my fingers crossed it just AF pains...

Add Feijoa Mum on Facebook

Jul 2008
    Forest Lake - Brisbane

diddo on the unsettled baby.

Just subscribing to the new thread be back later to chat

Aug 2009

We had two new teeth this morning! Tobi slept through last night so I'm guessing it was the teeth causing trouble.

Jul 2009

Another Birthday here and gone

Jun 2009
    Brisbane

We have definitely been in the throes of some serious teething - as he has never been this unsettled ever!
    Finally got a 'normal' nights sleep last night though, without grumbly wake ups, so hopefully will get a rest for a while

May 2010
    Northern NSW

Hi girls!!! Been away a while - just trying to keep things simple as possible (not adding extras) so as to keep stressfree to deal with PND - seems to be working.

Sophie has been very unsettled here too - sleeping terribly at night - but it is not teeth here...not a sign of them at all! I put it down to a developmental leap and unsettled tummy with solids (having trouble with poo). Yesterday Sophie did a massive poo and also really mastered the rolling back and front and pushing herself around on the ground to move to toys - and her night was much improved - still up for feeds around ten or eleven, then three in morning - but much better than every two hours. She still has not mastered sitting without toppling over but she is really focused on moving! Sitting no fun to her. Babies are so different. My DS sat the week he turned 5 mths and was happy with that for months!!! Whereas, Soph is just desperate to move and it is frustrating her no end at the moment but now she has the idea and getting tiny commando crawls in so it won't be long for her I don't think. Sitting however, has gone on the backburner for her!!!

We are up to one full solids meal a day and then sometimes lunch too - she has the hang of it now - but is only having about two tablespoons of food. Her interest wanes quickly!! She loves apples, not so keen on pears but will eat them. She also loves pumpkin. We have only tried apple, pear, pumpkin, potato and corn so far. Rice cereal seems to upset her tummy too Shell - badly constipated my DS so when Soph was unsettled the night after it thought it can go in the bin!!

Deedles - more babies!! You are so brave!! Soph is having three sleeps of 20-30mins a day too. I had cramping for the two months prior to AF arriving last month.

Cass - You have lots to do but so happy for you re moving back to Canberra!

Shell - Happy Birthday!

Bree - Glad the sleeping improved for you!!

123 ...