melbourne

Babies Born~February 1st-15th 2009 #2

This thread is for parents who's baby was born February 1st ~ 15th 2009

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Astrolady ~ Administrator
    Trillian ~ Senior Moderator
    Dachlostar ~ Senior Moderator
    MistyFying

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Please note - To receive thread notifications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Feb 2008
    Down Under

Babies born in our Group

1st Feb ??? Mkart86 "Anastasia" 3.5kg

2nd Feb 2:54pm *det* "Levi Peter James" 8lb

2nd Feb 7:36am Renstar "Ava Joyce" 8lb 1oz

4th Feb ??? jords "Winter Lorraine" 8lb 6oz

5th Feb ??? Cyathea "Marley" 9lb 4oz

5th Feb 8pm 1pj "Summer" 5lb 5oz

7th Feb 5:23pm MelanieKate "Lachlan Ashley" 5lb 15oz

7th Feb 12:50pm baby_blip "Darren Jay" 7lb 15oz

9th Feb 9pm Sydney moose "Samantha Joan Bea" 3.1kg

10th Feb ??? yvettemj "Lauren" 2650g

13th Feb 12:34am Sterla "Oliver Thomas Eldrup" 3.035kg

13th Feb 11:36am Andjxx "Harris" 8lb

13th Feb 6:25pm laura_133 "Bella Grace" 7lb 4oz

14th Feb 5:09am Antheia "Orson Phoenix Paul" 9lb 2oz

15th Feb 8:30am luua "Mae" 2.4kg & "Hana" 2.2kg
    Last edited by Muffy; May 3rd, 2009 at 09:25 PM.

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Good morning ladies . Finally, I'm here to do some personals (sorry it's taken me a while).

Rainbow Raver: Thanks again for adding that list. If you don't mind, you can remove "Purdy" from Oliver on there, as no one else has surnames listed. We're pretty even with boys and girls aren't we! How is Bella? I really hope she's doing okay. It must be frustrating and scary not knowing what caused the fits .

Moose: That's no good that Sammy is still spewing. Has it settled down a little, or more, or staying about the same? I hope her weight gain is still good. That's fantastic that Sammy is rolling! Well done Sammy! . Oliver hasn't rolled yet, and I don't think he's going to any time soon either. Actually, when he lies on the floor on his back or his stomach he doesn't do a great deal - just kind of lies there and looks at me or talks to me! He must be a bit lazy like his mummy and daddy . Enjoy your quiet day with Sammy.

Antheia: These bubs make us wonder sometimes don't they! Oliver is fine now - he settled down once we got home, had a pretty normal evening, slept all night and has been really good so far today. He may have had a tummy ache like you said Orson did, cause he did a pretty big poo last night after going almost all day without doing one. How are you and your bubbas doing? How did your two oldest go in child care the other day?

Blip: Ouch about the toothache! I'm continually amazed at all the (most likely) unnecessary interference the medical peeps do with you and Daz. Makes you wonder - if you'd just been left to your own devices, trusting your mother instincts, etc, whether you and Daz would be completely fine now? That's so weird about adding formula to your EBM... that would bug me too!
    It sounds like Daz is just a long skinnny baby, which is normal. I was reading somewhere the other day here on BB about "banana babies" "pear babies" and"apple babies" referring to the bubs body shape. Just like adults! Oliver is by no means a chubby baby either, but that doesn't mean he's not healthy!
    How is putting Daz on the boob going?

Jords: How are you and Winter going? How is she sleeping? You have the sleep clinic on Wed don't you?
    I've been cutting Oliver's nails with some baby nail clippers. They have a really good grip thing on them, so they're easy to use. I've cut Oliver's nails a couple of times, and so far haven't cut him I hope I don't! I can imagine I'd feel awful!

Oliver had a long sleep last night, and it was so long between feeds that my boobs felt like they were going to burst. I knew there was more in there than he'd take, and they were so full I was worried about getting a blocked duct or something, so I thought I'd express some milk with my hand pump. I've only ever used it once before, when Oliver was about 2-3 weeks old. After Oliver fed I expressed and was shocked at how much milk was coming out - it just kept coming and coming! I had to stop cause I filled up the bottle. I put the milk in the freezer, and it's so nice knowing I have it sitting there in case of an emergency! And also, (this might be weird), I found expressing very satisfying... watching the bottle fill up and up and up with my milk !

Oliver is really good today after yesterday's shocker. He's fed well, had a good play and chat, and now is having a good sleep. Let's hope he keeps it up!

Phew... I hope everyone is well and enjoying their Sunday .

Jun 2008

Sterla : WOW you expressed a FULL bottle after a feed..your boob WOULD have been hurting for sure!! I'm lucky if I get 20ml! lol There is nothing wrong or weird in feeling good about expressing...is all part of feeling good about being a mum being able to feed her little bubba I think.Thanks for asking, Sammy is getting better with teh spewing, I think she has been working herself very hard when rolling and trying to get herself off the tummy but am not feeling her to be unwell anymore and the spews do not appear to be as frequent, I am starting to write it down and monitor over the couple days to see if a pattern emerges. Can't wait for Tuesday's weigh in, its stressing me a little TBH, but no sense in stressing until I find out results. Its funny that OLi doesn't do too much on his tummy, Sammy just moves her legs so much, kicking and wanting to get movin'. have you tried showing him a toy that he likes and lifting it up in the air so his head rises and he follows it? Regardless, I'm sure Oli will be rolling when he is ready...ENJOY your time cause seriously, I can't take my eyes off her for 1 minute anymore and shes not crawling or walking yet!! I must admit though, it is hilarious to watch her swing her little legs to get herself on her side and then watch her face as she gets herself on her tummy..you can see her mind ticking and trying to work out how to make this body of hers move. BABIES ARE AWESOME! it's such a beautiful time watching them discover everything.

My warning to you...be careful with the clippers, I had been using mine for ages on Sammy and I still managed to cut her and its a Tommy Tippee clipper too but still took a very small chunk of her fingers, is all healed now.
    BTW, Sammy is 12 weeks old today!!! its gone sooo fast!

Add Dansta on Facebook Follow Dansta On Twitter

Jul 2008
    a slice of paridise, victoria

ello my pritties!

Moose: Wow sammys rolling? daz can roll on to his side...and has semi got to his tummy...moved and arm then went back onto his back! so wrong but i laughed at him! dont worry too much about the spewing - daz vomits too but its becuase the mucle that holds the opening to the tummy shut isnt very strong so with sammy rolling onto her tummy it may be pushing food out, i found with daz if he moves heaps after a feed...the food moves back via th entrance! heh. i cliped daz's finger too cutting his nails too...but i tried to nail file...and failed...he moves tooooo much! Ohh and no i havent eaten any jaw brakers...but now you've metioned it...i may have to hunt one down!

Sterla- im glad to hear oli is feeling better, sometimes they do get funny when they need to poo...this'll sound funny but i know darren is about to when im feeding him cus he legs keep wriggleing around! im glad im not the only one thinking mg: at this idea of formular in ebm! as for expressing - how funky is it seeing all the milk come out. i recon its fantasic to see it spray out! how much did you get out?

'bow - hows bella?

Jords - hows winter going?

AFM: daz had a good day yesterday. mind you he didnt take much of my EMB becuase i ate a little tooo much garlic bread on friday, so i think it tasted differant. we saw DH's friend and his DP and their kids (2 years between all three oddly enough!) and my aunt came over (all at once too) but it was nice seeing people, esp for DH cus his friend has a kid and its good for him to have some contact with him! today daz has had a bit of refulx...so i stopped putting that extra scoop of formular into his formular. my gut is telling me its wrong and next time i speak to the dietition i'm going to lie or just tell her "look, his waight and hight didnt match at birth, why the hell would they now? im not going to feed him that much becuase if he wanted more - he'd ASK FOR IT...in his own way!" and when i see my 'normal' LC im going to tell her about the formular in the EMB...and ask if she'll talk to the dietion becuase its not RIGHT...its really not right. the hospital im at is ment to be a 'breast feeding friendly' one! any whoo im off to express and see if i can get a full EMB feed for darren, the motilim is helping - but tuesday is when it should fully kick in- for the first time in AGES i felt 'full' when i expressed thismoring! and im getting around 110mls each time i express, which is better then the 70 i was getting a few days ago!

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Moose: I know babies are awesome ! You're preaching to the converted here, lol! I love watching Oliver discover new things. One of his latest discoveries is our hands. We hold our hands out in front of him and he claps on our hand! When I went to the pram walking group, I commented to one of the mums (who has a 7 month old) how great it was that Oliver was smiling, and she said it only gets better!

Blip: I managed to get a bit over 150ml when I expressed this morning - and I only stopped cause that was how much the bottle would hold! I could have kept going, and that was after Oliver had already had a bit of a feed! It is so cool watching and hearing the milk squirt out!
    Oh, and I know what you mean about knowing when they're going to do a poo! Oliver does that too - gets all squirmy, then I hear a big rumble!
    I don't know how serious these hospitals are when they say baby-friendly and breast-feeding friendly. The hospital where I had Oliver was baby-friendly and promoted skin-to-skin contact after birth... but guess what, I didn't get to hold Oliver for over 2 hours after he was born, and as I'd had a c/s I couldn't very well move to make sure I could get that skin-to-skin. I don't think I got to do the proper skin-to-skin thing till 6+ hours after he was born. It still annoys/upsets me to this day, that I missed out on that first close contact. Sometimes I think all those posters are just for show... alright, off my soapbox now .

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Good evening Ladies!
    How is everyone's weekend going? Im so tired! We got home about an hour ago, Last night went to one of my really good friends houses for a "pot luck dinner" (where everyone brings a dish and you pick at everything) It was really good, except we got there way before everone and was leaving as most people were getting there. I made a pumpkin and zucchini risotto it was so tasty and god I gorged on snacks! My friend makes the best mini pizza's, so I ate heaps of that and brie with crackers, and chips and dips... ok Ill stop now Then we drove to my mums place, stayed the the night and went to DP's folks for lunch today... action packed! Winter was so well behaved the whole time, but no suprises the cheeky monkey wouldnt laugh again! So DP is dying to hear her gorgeous laugh(and Im dying to hear it again!) It was good to see all the family, and everyone is sooo in love with Winter and I love showing her off, of course!

Sterla- Hello! Wow your boobies are amazing! Thats a whole lotta milk! Oh my god I cant believe the hospital didnt give you guys skin to skin for 6 hrs! I bet you just never wanted to let Darren go once you had him in your arms... how magical is that first moment(even if it is delayed) So amazing *sigh* Yes, Winter, DP and I are going to the sleep clinic wed... its weird, some nights(like last night) I dont mind co-sleeping, but other nights I just want to starfish and have her in her cot... hopefully though it goes well.

Blip-Mummy power!!! Do what your gut says for sure... As for garlic bread yuuuuuum, once you start you cant stop! Maybe all that chewing got your jaw sore :P

Moose- How exciting Sammy is rolling!!!! Little rock and roller! Try not to stress about her "weigh in" (sammy you will not be this years biggest loser)(god im lame!) I agree- I LURVE babies! Sooo obsessed! Winter has sort of half rolled if that makes sense? Her bottom rolls but her top half dosnt follow so she kind of shimmy's side-ways.

Exciting news, my cousin in Canberra had a baby girl this week- At 29 weeks The bub is healthy but very small 1.65kg, so she is staying in hospital for now. She had us all worried so very happy for the outcome.

I cant believe how many people are on our list! Where is everyone?!

Hope everyones well

Feb 2008
    Down Under

Helllooo Ladies!!
    time for someone to catch up!!!!!

Sterla - Wow you have super BBs lol. It must have been nice to catch up on some sleep though!!! thats excellent, now you definatly know you have plenty of the good stuff for oliver!! i hope things keeep going along nice and smooth for you!! xx

moose- glad to hear the spewing is settling down!! Dont stress too much about your weigh in, im sure everything will be fine oh yes those damn clippers are evil!!! lol

blip - i used to have problems with bella when i had eaten garlic!!! wow what are hard situation you are going through with the feeding!! i hope it all works out for you, 110mls!! thats fantastic!! good work!!!

jords - oohh pot luck dinner sounds GOOD! i may have to try that one day! you have definatly been busy!! congrats to your cousin! i hope she continues to get stronger!!

AFM - Thank you all for asking about bella, she is doing ok now we havnt had anymore scares thank god!! I think i have to change her formula as it just doesnt seem to be agreeing with her all of a sudden!
    I still BF everynow and then, just to feel that closeness - i love it!
    OMG bella isnt even CLOSE to rolling over!! whos bubs are rolling over???
    I keep comparing her and Logan, and she just seems so much slower at everything!!! hmmm not much else to report i dont think!!!

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Rainbow Raver: Thanks for changing that bit of Oliver's name . So glad Bella is okay. I know what you mean about the closeness with b/f. I think if I ever had to give up b/f I would really miss it.
    Oliver is nowhere close to rolling over either. I guess different bubs just do these things at different times.

Jords: Wow, sounds like you had a busy weekend! Pot luck dinner sounds great. These bubs are so cheeky - doing something once, like laugh, then not do it again for other people. Sometimes I wonder if people think I'm making this stuff up, lol.
    How scary for your cousin to have her bub so early! I'm glad her and bub are okay.

Rainbow & Jords: Lol about the booby comments! I'll have to quote one of you somewhere!

We have a check-up tomorrow, and I'm so hoping we don't have that crappy MCHN again. I don't think she's normally there, so hopefully it will be one of the (much nicer) ones we've had previously. I hope Oliver has a good gain. I think he's grown a bit. I put him in a 00 wondersuit tonight for the first time and it fits him really well.

Goodnight all you mamas and bubbas .

Jul 2008

sterla - about not having skin to skin for 6hrs! i thought almost 2 was bad enough. but if i where to get on my soap box i'd have contacted the WHO by now and dragged the hospitals pead ward though the mud! im going to complain becuase what happend was horrific they also failed in their duty of care, plus violated their own "your rights" thingy they give every one whoes treated there. 150mls! thats fantasic! you should 'ave got another bottle and seen how much all up, out boobies are the bestst things EVAR if you have that evil MCHN just smile and say "well i think oli's fine, as for reading i'd rather play with him and devlop moter nutron skills as they are developing NOW, reading is more applicable later, besides it would be better if my hubby reads as he'd more more likely to read if a male role moddle dose it as well "

Jords- Woo for pot luck dinners! they'd be fantasic...i'd do one but sadly i LOVE cooking far, far too much! had my Inlaws over friday night and got cranky with MIL for bringing soup over for entree! haha! as for chewing too much - its gone now...and strangely more tooth has popped up! im thinking it was a wisdom tooth comming down (they're due 'round now cus i had an x-ray done when i was 17 and the destist said they'd be down when i was 20-21...)

'bow - i've heard bubs can change there...likes...for formular. a girl i know had her son on all bar one (that was the lactose free one) becuase he didnt like the others...she went from s26 gold to Karicare (which i use) and it he was fine after that! glad to hear bella is doing better!

AFM: had a good-ish day. went and saw some relatives...they're giveing DH and i some shelves they dont want, which DH needs with all his car stuff laying around :eyeroll: but i guess every boy needs a toy and DH's car is that! i think daz is blocked up...only a little poo today :s a little worrying. so, so glad i only did that extra scoop twice...makes me want to express more (thus im still up) so he only gets EBM and that dietition can get stuffed! plus i thought if you added more formular this could happen? gah stupid medical people!

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Afternoon ladies.

Oliver had his check-up this afternoon. He had gained 320g and grown 0.5cm in two weeks. His growth is slowing down, but I'm assuming (and hoping) that's pretty normal. It was one of the nice MCHNs today too. She was so nice. At one point I said "He's a good boy", and she said, "He's a good boy cause he's got a good mum and dad" .

Blip: Thinking about it again, I worked out it was longer than 6 hours before I got skin-to-skin. I mean, I got to hold him before that and fed him (though I don't think I ever got do a proper breastfeed in the first day - we syringe fed him the first few times)... Oliver was born at 12.34am, and I think it was more like 1pm by the time I got to do some proper skin-to-skin, so it was more like 13 hours! And by then, I'd requested it and the midwife kind of acted like "Alright, if you want" but made it seem like there was no point now . I didn't have much time to think about all this in the early days, but now that Oliver and I are in a good routine and I've had more time to think - my whole birth experience/first day with Oliver is starting to really upset me. I know the c/s was necessary at the time, but I still feel like I missed out on so much not being able to birth him myself. And missing out on those first few hours while I was in recovery and Oliver was in the nursery... I've written about it in the c/s support forums a few times, but rather than these feelings fading with time, they seem to be increasing with time as I have more time to reflect... sorry, getting off track...
    How is Daz doing today?

How is everyone else doing?

Jun 2008

Hi Ladies,

yesterday, Sammy started bringing back up full feeds, she did it in the afternoon, woke up at midnight and did it again and one more time this morning as well. She also spewed an hour after another feed, so I said to Dh, alright this is not right and went to the EC to make a self appointment, all spots were full by then, so i took the opportunity to weigh her as I had a bad feeling she had not gained any weight this week...to my horror, she had lost 50gr since last week, so I went to the GP this arvo and need to catch some urine ( should be interesting) in case its a urinary track infection and she cannot find anything wrong with her. Sammy is still such a happy baby but the weight loss definately is concerning so she has referred me to a paed. The one that saw Sam at birth is on holidays for a month, so am waiting to hear back from my GP ( who is awesome btw) and she will refer me to one she knows and will fit us in this week.
    So its all very disheartening. I cannot think of anything as to why this would happen and 2 weeks seems a long time for it to be viral. We figured out that since her 6 weeks check, she has only gained 320g and the Dr said its most likely not reflux as she should not be losing weight.

Sorry no personals today, just trying not to stress too much, but its hard. She is still such a happy little mite, its very strange.

Hope you all have a nice afternoon

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Moose: Big . I hope Sammy is okay . How stressful for you.

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Hey Girls,
    Just a quick one as Im one-left handed-typing(bah!)

Moose you poor thing you must be so stressed big hugs to you,I hope everything with Sammy works out.Do you know when the results will be in?.. at least she is in good spirits, what a little trooper!

Sterla- The treatment you had after your c/s sounds like an abomination,no wonder you feel upset! WTF was that midwife thinking? Hopefully the dissapointment you(naturally) feel will fade with time. Big hugs*

Blip- I love cooking too, so much! I LURVE baking treats too but never get time... got myself the best baking book for xmas 'womens weekly BAKE' soooo good! I love just looking at the pictures

Raver- So happy to hear Bella is going good!

Antheia- Where are youuuuu? Hope the project is going well

Hand is killing me, We are good,got my new pram today, Stoked!!!! Score off ebay swallow beemer jogger, woop!

Hope everyone enjoyed their mondays!

Jun 2008

Thanks for the kind words girls...is so funny right, she had a huge feed before we went to the Dr, no spew, had another big feed an hour and half later when we got back from Dr, no spew. She then went for a little nap and woke up at 4:15pm. I fed her again at 5:30pm as she was hungry and had a big feed then again and she has been in bed since 6:30...but the main thing is she has now had 3 big feeds and no spew which makes me feel so much better. I was given a cup to try and catch some wee for the UTI and DH and I thought..woow that just may be a challenge. Dh asks, when does she pee? I said...when do you pee? When she has to!! LOL Then we thought that we should put her feet in the warm water before she goes in the bath and that she might pee, well......... we did just that, I held the cup underneath and she peed right in the cup, 1st go! We were so impressed with ourselves, so there is a tip to put in your mummy brains, if you need a urine sample, put their feet in the warm bath and there is a good chance you will get some wee in there!

Oh look at me babbling on again!

Sterla:that didn't sound like a nice experience but there is no point to dwell on it as you cannot change it, just be thankful you got a nice healthy bubba and that you will not let it happen for #2! That was a good gain for Oli too!! I think they are due to slow down a bit and 12 weeks they have another growth spurt due as well, so it could be the calm before the storm!

Sammy awake, bbl

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Im so happy to hear Sammy has stopped spewing

Jeez well done getting pee in a cup! I cant even do it myself without getting it all over my hands heehee

Jul 2008

stelra- thats horrable. that midwife needs a kick up the back passage! if its affecting you write a letter of compaint! im doing that about daz's stay in the pead ward. going back there bought ALOT up, and sometimes i think places like this need just one voice to pipe up so they realise that some members of staff arent living up to whats expected of them! when you have #2 will you have a c-cection or a VBAC? or havent thought about it?

Moose: im sure sammy will be ok! she's still bright and cherpy. what is your mummy intinct telling you? im glad you got sammy to pee - i know last stint in hossy myself and a nurse waited an HOUR for daz to twinkle! sure made an interesting converation thats for sure! maybe sammys tummy was streching for more food? i hope all goes well...maybe check her temp if you think UTI ; i know when i had one my temp went though the rough by the time i got to the stage of me throwing up! (mind you i was 16 at the time....)

Jords: Yay for getting a new pram! now to learn how to steer it! haha...as for peeing in a cup i can do that...but when it comes to peeing on sticks...ahem...not so good :P

AFM: had a talk with DH about this whole hospital thing. broke down and finaly told himi feel like im failing darren. im now also going to change his formular...see if that makes him a little less blocked up. DH suggested i see a counceller about what happend in the paed ward...but the LC i norrmaly see said we'd talk about it...i swear if i get depressed that head of nurseing will be blamed. just like if i cant get darren back on the boob its her fault...but im writing a LOVELY compaint letter to the hospital telling them that they're labour/post natale/SCN/LC depts are LOVELY but the paed ward needs a kick up the bum when it comes to babys! other then that darren hasnt slept much today...i think once hes de-blocked (thanks to the bloody extra formular then what is on the back of the tin!) he'll be better...i feel much better since writeing this complait letter to the hospital....and tomorrow i'll hopefully give it to them...if not next week so i my LC can read it...Ohh tomorrow i see another LC about mottilim and attachment...fingers crossed it works out!

Jun 2008

Hi ladies,

we are up to 7 feeds withhout a spew and went to get Sammy weighed this am ( for peace of mind) and she has gained 60gr since yesterday!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT WOOT!! Am still going to make the appointment at the paed as she has not been gaining so much in the last 6 weeks but the LC I saw again this am is so awesome & supportive, she says Sam still looks really healthy evenm though she is not gaining that much weight!
    Little Padawan has just woken up!! BBL for personals

12311 ...