Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Babies born~July 1st-15th 2010 #1

OK- going to try to get a decent size post done - Started at 9-15am

EJ- No teeth here- although I have noticed a white bulge on the top of DD's gum. Have you noticed any change in T's behavior like is he irritable or just his normal self? I recall something about only brushing them with water but I can't say when you start or even if the only water thing is true- so much info from everyone
    I'm not sure how child care works either EJ- Am interested to hear other mums responses on this. Also are you still thinking of introducing solids?

Dr T- The pumpkin sounds like a good idea. Babies playing with the food is half the learning according to my MCHN so letting B play with it and get all messy is a great idea...enjoy the clean up though Hows DH and his 'dangly bits' ??LOL

OP- Had to giggle with your going out and leaving the soon to be mummy to babysit- its good to 'open' their eyes abit Perfect time for a pooexplosion! LOL

Sal- Hows DH? and hows the online shop going? I hope it is all going marvelously!!! Big to you hun- you have done well!

Yep, 1 week from today and I'm back at work

DH has had good practice over the past couple of days with me being sick he has had to play Mr Mum...he did marvelously! He even gt the washing done and the floors mopped AND cooked a roast last night! As pleased as I was I was cursing that DD 'allowed' DH to do all of that...hmmpppfff! She made being Mr Mum a joy- establishing a false sense of security I say LOL

Ahhh- DD awake....see ya later finished 3-12 pm. All day to type afew lines- sesh!! Have copied it cause I know BB will swallow it...
    ETA: BB did swallow it but HAHA- I'm smarter this time BB!!!! LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by delphmoon View Post
    Ahhh- DD awake....see ya later finished 3-12 pm. All day to type afew lines- sesh!! Have copied it cause I know BB will swallow it...
    ETA: BB did swallow it but HAHA- I'm smarter this time BB!!!! LOL...
    BB is really good at the swallowing of posts....woohoo for you on beating it!!

Hope you feel better soon. Only thing worse then being sick is being sick AND not being able to cuddle your baby!

As for the clean up...DH is on bath duties. I established that ages ago because he works so much he doesn't get as much 'bonding time' with B as I'd like so I told him bath time was his. SO...I make the mess....DH cleans up the mess...and I am ever so good at the making of messes...MWAHAHAHAHA (pity there is no evil laughter icon on here). As for the floor and the bumbo...the dogs made short work of that as soon as I took B out. I took some pictures and a video of that too...again....on photobucket (for my mum) if anyone is interested (she keeps getting up me for not taking enough pictures/videos of him for her...how many am I suppose to take??!!)

OP - Thanks. I just felt so helpless. I wanted to make him feel better but I coulnd't and becasue he just didn't understand it made the whole situation that much worse ITMS.

Emma - Introducing other foods. I don't know if it's true or not, but I was told by two MCHN's a midwife and the paed that kids 'never' react to the rice cereal so you don't need to abide by the 3 day rule with that. Basically that as soon as the baby 'eats' it you can try them with other foods. I wasn't entirely convinced, so I gave him the rice cereal Sat, Sun and Mon morning and no reaction so tried the avocado Monday night (okay, not quite 3 days, but almost). Gave him the avocado Mon night, Tuesday morning (to get it in before I left for Sydney) and Wed night. I am still giving him the rice cereal of a morning too though, and I'll probably continue with that, so the cerreal for breakfast then a veggie for dinner. I was also given the suggestion by a friend to do savoury first (so all the veggies) before sweet (fruit). So when I do start the fruit I might start mixing it with the cereal for his breakfast then continue with the veggies for dinner. Don't know if that's the right way of doing it or not

AFU - ummmmm...think I might have covered it already earlier. Had the pumpkin last night. Made an almighty mess. B had fun. I had fun. Dogs had fun. DH complained (jokingly) about the mess we made then played with him for ages in the bath.

DH has just bathed T and is dressing him now. Sounds like they're having a great time! Lots of singing and giggling happening.

Today is actually the third day we've given T rice cereal. I spoke to my mum on Tuesday after a really bad night and she was strongly encouraging me to start T on solids (admittedly she was trying to convince me to do it at 3 months!). Then I got really weepy that afternoon from lack of sleep and decided to go to the GP to get T measured and ask the doctor if there was any chance I might have PN depression cos I'd heard that affected baby sleep. I asked him about starting solids and he just said the current guidelines were 6 months but of course babies had been eating solids earlier for a long time with no problems, etc. So I figured what the hell.

I'm not able to express much milk unless my breasts are engorged which doesn't happen at all lately because T has been waking up 3-4 times a night. So I've been giving him less than a third of the quantity the packet suggests. But that's plenty anyway to start I reckon! I'm not sure that he's lost the tongue thrust. He'll open his mouth nice and wide but then he sort of laps at the spoon. So maybe we should stop and try again in a while? I don't know... But after reading Dr Tal's post about avocado I bought one from the shops today and I'm going to give it to him as finger food over the weekend since Dr Tal's other post about the 3 day rule gives me the go ahead! The rice cereal hasn't helped T sleep longer so far. But maybe with more...

OK I know there's a food section on belly belly but a) I'm lazy, and b) I'm inept at searches, so... I still lack inspiration for dinners so can I ask you ladies what you've had each night for dinner the last week, and if you have a dinner plan for the next week what it is? I want to shamelessly steal some of your ideas!

Gotta go feed bub!

Emma - I was told about a 3 day rule. Basically any time you introduce a new food, feed it for three days without introducing anything new. That way if baby reats to it, you know what the reaction is to. So if you fed, hypothetically apple and pumpkin in the same 3 day period you and baby gets a reaction you may not know if it was the pumpkin or the apple they were reacting to. But that once the food has been introduced (without reaction) you can keep feeding even when introducing a new food. So I can feed B rice cereal, and avocado and pumpkin. Then after three days of pumpkin I can feed him rice cereal, avocado, pumpkin and say sweet potato.

As far as the tongue thrust...it could be that. But it coudl also be that he just doesn't like it. I know B did what could have been mistaken as a tongue thrust with the avocado. He also sometimes does it with the rice cereal too, but it's all just so new.

As for a meal plan, I don't really make one up, but when I do cook (DH does do a lot of the cooking I have to admit) I make massive pot meals. I don't have enough time to write the recipes at the moment but I can try to find some time tomorrow. So Saturday night I made a massive pot of pumpkin soup. Last night I made a massive pot of a beef mince concoction. I'll make a massive roast (because while it takes ages to cook you don't necessarily need to do anythign except be in the house). Huge pots of chilli or chicken soup are also good.

Gotta run...time to feed B more pumpkin!!

Hi ladies!

Try to get a quick post on the computer... will see how long DD can stay occupied for...

Emma - our meals aren't too inspired atm! I do try and do a bit of a meal plan, but not a whole week at a time or anything that organised! Primarily with us it is because we often end up eating with/at our in laws house, they are just down the road and often tells us to come down for dinner, we bath the kids and have tea and come home (I'm pretty lucky - got great ILs!). I found I was doing a meal plan for a week and then only using half of it and throwing stuff out. So now I'm a bit more relaxed...

My plan for this week (ILs away! Argh!) is beef stroganoff tonight, pasta bol tomorrow night, at my parents' house for dinner Wed, then the ILs are back Thurs hehe I think I'm actually supposed to be going out for dinner Thurs night...

I found winter easier to meal plan - I was doing lots of slow cooking, stews and casseroles... but its too hot to have the oven on all day now!

I can share my strog recipe if you like, its pretty easy! I've also got a nice chicken stir fry that I whip out pretty frequently...

As for tongue thrust, it could be that... does his tongue push the food out again? Or does he just kind of play with it and push it round with his tongue? I watched my friend try and give her DS solids when he still had tongue thrust and it was a definite pushing that his tongue did with the food... she would put it in and the tongue just shoved it right out. Trust your instincts hun

Dr T - you are going so well on the solids path! You're doing it just right I think - sounds like B is really getting into it too! How cute about getting in "trouble" for making mess, I'm sure DH secretly loves the extra bath time. My DH usually loves bath time too - he's got two in there now, but its a bit stressful with our tornado toddler as she tends to throw things, splash, try and drink the bath water

Delph - no teeth here yet! But I do think that X has some coming - he is a massive drooly mess! Everything gets so wet from the dribble! The first teeth they get are bottom front two, so that's the spot to check. Bottom front two, then top front two, then one on either side of the bottom two... that's the order of the first six teeth.

My 10mth nephew has only just gotten his top two! So different for every child!

So glad your DH is getting into the hang of being Mr Mum! My DH had our two yesterday afternoon while I went to a baby shower and he called while I was on the way home and said that everything was going well, DS had taken the bottle (that's twice now! ) and I could take my time... but then he goes "How on earth do you get anything done?!?"

AFU: All going well in my part of the world, I'm a bit sick but too bad so sad, its just a cold and a mum's work is never done... unfortunately my wonderful ILs have gone away so I've just gotta suck it up princess! DH too busy to help me out much but hopefully if I keep the vit C going strong it won't get much worse.

X is doing really well, he's such a happy bub, I'm pretty lucky. He doesn't get the 7pm bedtime (still), current pattern is power nap around 6.30pm, then cluster feed from 7.30ish til some time around 10pm, but then sleeps til 5.30am! Woo! Then has a quick feed, back to sleep til some time around 8am or so.

Pity my DD is waking up more frequently than that... sigh!

We're not on solids yet, I've got some farex here and I've bought some Rafferty's but I don't know when we'll start it. Not just yet, he still seems pretty happy so I'll just wait a bit longer.

Well I think I have a baby stirring and I still haven't had a shower so I'd better get moving.

HAve been having HUGE issues with my internet connection. Spent all day yesterday on the phone with them and most of this morning....think I ahve it sorted now....with any luck

Can't remember who asked about the teeth. B still doens't have any, but I can see them. They move up and down. When they are 'down' he chews on anything and everything in site and bites...HARD (I know cause it's usually somepart of me LOL) When they are 'up' he still chews on things, but not as much. When they are down it's almost like he HAS to chew on things when they are up he's just doing it for fun ITMS. No drooling though and he doesn't seem to be in any pain. Maybe the amber teething necklace I have on him

OP - That's funny about DD trying to drink the bath water. B tries to suck on the washcloth and DH gets really upset about it (he can't do that, he'll drink the bathwater...it's dirty...). I just laugh it cracks me up.

AFU - B still has a dry cough. At least he doens't have the rattly chest congestion one anymore, bt I'm worries that he still have the dry one. I have another doctors appointment later in the week so hopefully they can let me know what;'s going on so I stop worrying about him so much.

****RECIPE****
    Pumpkin soup (probably more of a vegetablesoup but it tastes more pumpkin then anything else)
    (the vegetable amount are all approximate, I add more or less depending on my mood)
    1/4 c olive oil
    1/2kg of pumpkin (I usually do half jap and half butternut)
    2-3 sweet potatoes
    2-3 regular potatoes
    3-4 carrots
    1 large onion
    a couple cloves of garlic
    6 cups vegetable stock
    3/4 cup cream

Cut veggies into largish cubes.
    Cook in large pot with olive oil until soft.
    Add stock.
    Simmer until veggies are falling apart.
    Puree (I have one of those hand wand thingies that I use)
    Allow to cool for a bit then add cream, mix and serve.

Super quick post as I am on hols at the beach..

Gumnut has teeth!!!!

One came on Sunday and the other today....bottle middle 2 teeth!!!

typical for her to teethe while on hols... LOL

xxx
    ETA: DR T- Gumnut has had a dry cough too- I have started elevating the back of her mattress alittle to help relieve it - not sure if it will help B but it worked for gumnut.

EJ- I am sooo over asking DH "what are we going to do for tea tonight" I am soo sick of dinner...LOL...we do spag bol, roast chicken and vegies and 'chuck it in and hope for the best'-lol (its where you just chuck it in and hope it tastes nice...lol).

OP and everyone else!

LOL Delph I am so sick of the "What's for dinner?" question too!! Argh...

Woooo on Gumnut's teeth! Yay! Clever girl. Hope she's a bit more settled and stuff for you now..!

Dr T - no good about B's cough. Hope it clears or the Dr can help...

Quick update... after saying we weren't anywhere near solids yet, X had some farex today! He watched me eat some pasta and tried to steal it from me and then all morning has been feeding and grizzling and feeding... so I made some up and he loved it!! So looks like we're off and solids-ing!

Hi Girls everyones little ones seem to be zooming along, how great. E doesnt really have many tricks, he has rolled front to back and back to front a few times, but he doesnt do it much he is pretty lazy lol. If i try to give him tummy time he just rolls back onto his back lol.
    I have tried him on a little bit of rice cereal, he wasnt too sure lol, will try him again soon.

DH got the all clear on friday thank god, thanks for all your prayers, he has to have checks every 4 months for two years at Peter Mac which is fantastic.

Sorry its so short, we have storms here at the moment and have to go sandbag my mums house I will talk to you all in depth very very soon, just wanted to let you know everything is ok and I am still following the thread.

Oh and we have a new addition to the family its a kitten a ragdoll x her name is Ambi and she is so cute.

xoxox

Sal - I was so glad to hear that your DH was given the all clear. Although I can imagine I wans't anywhere near as glad or relieved as you must have been

A ragdoll kitten! They are SO CUTE. I'm not REALLY a cat fan, but I do have to say I quite like the ragdolls...and the Maine coons...DH loves cats and if we were ever get one (woudl have to be after my two dogs pass, as they're not that good with cats) it would be one of those two types.

Sounds like things are going well with E. I look forward to an update on all is movings and shakings

OP - WOOHOOO on the solids. Sounds like X took to the rice cereal like B did.

OP and Delph - Thankfully I don't get the what's for dinner question. If I don't have something started when DH gets home from work he just rummages through and finds something and starts to cook it! He's really good like that.

Deph - Two teeth huh??!! I think gumnut might be the first to have gotten them in our little group (unless Ayva has gotten any....wonder how M2A is going....). Pity she got them when you were on holidays though. Hopefully she wasn't TOO miserable. How long did it take them to come through? Was she really uncomfortable with them?

AFU - I forgot to mention that I had B to clinic on Monday and he's not 7.3kg. They were very happy with his weight gain again and the midwife also commented about how mobile he was for his age. I brought one of the quilts with me my mum had made for him and he was rolling about everywhere and happily demonstrating all his new 'tricks'. So not only does he roll EVERYWHERE but he's started to kind of commando crawl. He'll get his little arms and drag himself forward a couple of times...then he'll usually end up pushing himself backward further then he had drug himself forwards He'll also get his little legs right under him and push so his legs are almost straight and his little butt is right up in the air and push with one leg, so he ends up all lopsided and usually falls over. He's still not managed to have both ends up and working at the same time though.

We'll be starting carrot tonight. Last night was day 3 for sweet potato, so we'll be going carrots tonight and see how he likes those. So far the pumpkin and sweet potato have been massive hits, he'll eat nearly a whole ice cube worth (I've frozen it into ice cube trays) of both. But he's still not very fussed on avocado. I think I might try to mix a bit in (hide it) with the pumkin or sweet potato so he 'gets the taste'. Not too sure what I am goign to give him after the carrot though. I've been thinking perhaps pees, but I'm not too sure how I go about getting rid of their skins...maybe if I mash them through a sieve....

Hi all.

Dr T- Gumnut was alittle grumpy and had a fever- we thought this was because she was catching my cold. Little did we know she had teeth! I put my finger in her mouth to pull out a hair and wella- I felt a tooth! We went and bought her a russki (sp) and she improved quickly- chewed on it non stop for a day. The next day I was showing my dad where her tooth had come out (we where on hols at dads) and wella....i felt another tooth! The only thing that is worrying me is she has gone off her milk alittle and started grabbing at our plates. I gave her pumpkin and sweet potato and she is lurrrvvving it! I only wanted to start her on small amounts (2 or so teaspoons) but she refused her milk so we are now giving her 4-5 teaspoons 3 times a day...so far her poos are normal and she is happy to have milk after the pumpkin so- well she knows what she wants Poor DH cops gumnut teething now as I go back to work on Friday

DH and I have had a tiff- spose it was inevitable. He carries gumnut around constantly so now when he puts her down she screams for his attention. I suggested to DH to let gumnut play on the floor with her toys and not constantly carry her around...long story short- He is going to do it his way and I can go jump! Now I'm really anxious about oing back to work So I am barely talking to DH because I think he is an a$$ and HE can go jump! LOL...maybe I'm alittle premenstrual??

Glad to hear from you Salad- and pleased all is well Im sure E will spice it up soon and give ya a run for your money!

Woohoo OP- On the solids train! welcome!

Another quick one from me...

Sal - so glad to hear your good news. Just in time for Christmas too! Fantastic.

Dr T - some other veges you could try are zucchini, corn, swede, potato... Then you can start mixing them together! Don't forget you can start on fruits too... Pear and apples are good to start with!

Delph - big hugs on your fight I find if I give too much advice to DH about the kids, he gets offended that I think he can't deal with it on his own. I find it best to just let him figure things out on his own!

Good luck with returning to work... It will be fine... You will be fine... Gumnut will be ok

Supposed to be leaving for a weekend on the sunshine coast this morning and i only started packing! But have been watching T on the bed trying to get to the cat who is in his cot which is minus a side and right up against the bed. So funny! The exertion! He had to stop and suck his thumb for a bit there, something he never does usually. He gets his chest right off the ground, as though that's going to help. Then he'll bring his knees up to his chest. But then he doesn't move his chest so he goes nowhere! lol

Dr T - Made me think of Brock and his doggies! Loved the photos. He's just gorgeous.

Better get back to it. Ha, here's the cat. Done teasing the bub for now.

BAHAHAHAHA
    I was reading your posts while mashing up some yam for B (I've been making food ahead, so far I have carrot, sweet potato, pumkin...butternut, QLD blue and jap, avocado, apple and I am currently doing yam...themn potato...then swede...thanks for the suggestions OP, and finally if there is time pees and brocolli) Anyway, I was mashing away at the yam and went to squeeze in some breast milk and I had one stream go horribly awry and it squirted all over my computer screen quite a good spray too, had it dripping off all of your posts...cracked me up.

Anyway....

Delph - sorry to hear about the agrument with DH. I think OP's suggestion is a goodone. Let him learn by trial and error. At the moment carrying her around all the time is probably a novelty to him. But I suspect he'll get over that, either as she gets heavier, or as he finds it harder to do things that NEED to be done. Perhaps as well you could suggest that he sit on the floor with her and play with her toys...so she's kinda on his lap....a bit of a half way in betwee compromise??

OP - I can't beleive I didn't think of potato! Especially since it's one of my all time FAVOURITE foods. I can make just about anything out of potato!.....mmmmmm potato fudge....that would be really yummy....and completely ruin my weight loss!

Emma - Tat's so funny about T with your cat. Defnitely sounds like h ow B is with my dogs. They've recently learned to LOVE solid food time. All three of time line up and wait for us to finish so they can lick him clean Glad you liked the pictures of B. I just put one up of him with a 'real' santa (I HAD to find one with a real beard...)

AFU - B had decided he likes avocado now. After my first disasterous trial with it (barely getting a spoonful in) I mixed a batch up and was very heavy handed with the EBM. Well he LOVED it! He's also now eating two ice cube blocks of food for every meal I was only giving him one, but the other night he kept reaching for the spoon and container it was in and when I put them away he started to cry, so I got out another cube and he devoured it.....this is after having taken both breasts as well I am begining to think he's going to have his father's appetite

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617