Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~September 2007 #59

Default Babies born~September 2007 #59

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in September 2007.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Astrolady ~ Administrator
    Onyx ~ Senior Moderator
    MistyFying ~ Senior Moderator
    Olive ~ Senior Moderator
    Nelle ~ Senior Moderator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Baby Formula - What Manufacturers Don't Want You To Know
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids or formula.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Please note - To receive thread notfications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Last edited by Olive; July 24th, 2010 at 03:47 PM.

Ginger, the kiddie ones are way more stable for starters. I am sure he will get a fair bit of use out of it anyway - if he is none the wiser that the 2 wheelers are 'cooler' then he should be happy with it for quite a while lol.

oh wow. spookerama...i just saw an ad for them at the target sale...never heard of those razor thingies before

Lu rides a friends across the road, they are always fighting over it, so i was going to get her one for her birthday. I'm going for the 2 wheeler too though i think....... hmmmm

LOL G! Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner - family dinner with the IL's last night and then footy today. If you were only getting one for L and not both of them, you could have gotten the 3 wheeler and then upgraded L later on, but seeing as how you are getting them both one, I'd go for the 2 wheeler - just a regular razor one will be fine. L is a tall boy, so if you have the handle as low as it can got he will be OK with it. But if you think that he might not be able to ride the 2 wheeler one properly, then get a 3 wheeler one. Another thing I forgot to say about the 3 wheeler ones is that because of the way they are set up, when they bring their foot back, the wheel at the back can catch their feet and trip them up - all of my kids have had that happen to them, so the design is a bugger in that respect.

Arte, we are far removed from McCleods Daughters. It depends on where we go as to what country we drive through. If I just go within 40-50 kms, which is basically into 'town' it is undulating soft-rolling country, but our nearest cities are either Wagga (125km) or Griffith (110km) so wagga is south, so it's more of the same as here, but Griffith is west, so it is a lot more open and flat because you are heading out to plains country. It all looks stunning atm though because of all the rain we've had this year so far.

hi everyone
    i read the last thread but cant remember much... i wonder when baby brain wears off???
    hmmm i dont thinkN would be ready for a razor scooter for a while yet. he just isnt v coordinated... we do have a radio flyer one, i think we should prob give him more time playing on it. i am battling dh a little here, he seems to want to fiull every minute of the day for N, so we take him out somewhere morning and afternoon... then he complains that N doesnt play by himself much.. well i think he needs,more time just hanging at home making his own fun. howmuchdo you take your littlies out and how much do you need to 'make the fun for them' at home?
    Jaz - wtg on the newsletter - i am sure you will have it all sorted soon. on the learning ladder stuff (which i thin kyou mentioned in a diff thread) do you knopw if you canbuy it not at a party or whatever? i went to party a while agoand got some stuff but would like some more for N and dont know any 'dealers'
    JM - themalaria sounds full on, but you as always are handling so well and calmly.
    Cass - sooo soon! wow! how are the HB plans coming along? whats the plan with L then?
    MD - I too am interested to know how the return to work plans are coming along? what are you doingabout care for E?
    how many of your littlies will go to 3yo kinder next yr?

AFM all is well.was my bday on fri and had a great day. got J a fisher price learning house for his bday - both boys love it! also got N al; 'alfie' robot toy - have put it away for bday - anyone seen them?

feels like i'll have baby brain forever. Happy birthday for Friday. Lu generally can entertain herself for a few hours now. I do change the scenery a bit, go for a walk or play in the garden, by that, i mean i swing in the hammock and she paints a mural on the concrete (or her sister), or rips my seedlings out, or rides her bike! No Kindy here. If i was in Aus i would send her though, she is well and truly ready.

Happy Birthday for last Friday Mamapan!!! With regards to the learning ladder stuff, i think you can only buy through party plan. Maybe have a look at their website - they might have a 'dealer' in your area.
    H won't go to Kindy next year - because she will turn 4 after the 30th of June, she has to wait until the following year, which suits me fine. I'm going to miss her heaps when she starts kindy.
    My Dh is the same with the girls on the weekend. I think because he works all week and doesn't get to spend a great deal of time with them he likes to fill the weekend with fun stuff. This is great, but i also remind him that they are busy at school and just pottering around at home is fun for them. During the week, i do make the fun for H most of the time. I guess because she's used to having her sisters playing with her, and i feel guilty if i leave her to play by herself. (she's so much fun to be around anyway )
    JM - saw that you are sick now - you poor thing. I hope you're all feeling much better soon.

MP, we try to limit to half day things because he doesn't have a nap and tends to lose it a bit by dinner time if he has had an entire day. Usually I have activities that we do in the morning and then have the afternoon at home. In the weekend we try to do something for a couple of hours like a bushwalk but we often end up staying at home the whole day too. At home he usually entertains himself, driving trucks, building huts/nests we just call out the occasional comment or countdown so he can blast off etc.

W is off to kindy in Sept when he turns 3. In NZ most kids start around their third birthday and there are 20 govt funded free hours of early childhood education for every kid. We have been going for visits for the past few months and he likes it, but it may be a different story when I leave him there lol

Jazah is the right person to ask about Learning Ladder lol. I don't know if they have that here, but I have been showing W the Learning Eggs website (have just got the free trial) and he is really enjoying it (read: constant nagging to play).

right, confusion over the razor sorted, i think!
    got one for a gift and one for J. gonna see how L goes on J's one, then get him a 2 wheeler one for his bday.

mp- happy birthday. we generally go out and do activities for the morning, but try to be home between 12-1pm for j's sleep. L will just have quiet time watching tv or playing duplo or helping me do something.

i have enrolled L for 3 yo kinder for next year. he starts in feb. he is soooooo excited.
    i actually did a complete backflip on deciding between the 2 kinders and am going to the closest one. we went to their open day on sat and L absolutely loved it there. dh liked it much better too, and i really got along well with the teacher. she seemed a lot more tolerant and warm iykwim? L didn't want to leave!
    also had some major problems with the other one- they sent me letters saying completely different things and weird emails to the wrong name and about the wrong kid iykwim? really put me off

i didn't think this was actually possible, but i think J is actually more of a terror than L was at this age. i don't know what has happened to him, but he has turned into the devil!! a woman at the kinder the other day said to me 'it's like he has an outboard motor attached to the back of him!" he just does not stop. my sweet little baby is a crusty demon of dirt!!

sounds like he needs a mowhawk!

LOL G, I know the feeling! Yesterday at football I was talking to one of the older Mums - her DD coaches the girls netball team so she is nearly 16 and her youngest is 14 and she was saying she couldn't get over how fast A got about the place, one minute he was in one spot and the next time she looked around he was in a totally different spot but she did say that she has probably just forgotten what it was like LOL. Glad you have the kinder sorted out. A will start in February as well but we don't have enrollment till October. That sounds really unprofessional of the other one though to send out emails about other people.

Happy Belated Birthday MP!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I think I know what those robot things are, they look pretty good. As I said to G, A will go next year as well. At our preschool they can go for a full or a half day at 3yo, and then as many as 3 days as 4yo's (the year before they start school) so two years all up. He will do a full day next year and I'm thinking of enrolling him for 2 days the year after but we're not decided on that yet. Alister probably spends half the day playing on his own - outside in the dirt with the trucks or riding bikes/scooters or he is inside playing with his cars or the trains. He just loves being the only one here because no one bugs him. Maybe it's just your DH's way of making it up to N for working and not seeing him so much? Maybe you could compromise with him and have every second weekend out doing something and then have a home weekend where you all just hang out at home?

Jaz, I didn't realise they had a big cut off like that for kinder in QLD. So she will be well over 4 before she starts then?

Trill - yeah, she will be one of the older children too. If they don't fill all the spots at Pre-prep, she may get offered a place. Whilst I know she'd love it, she would be much younger compared to the other children in the class.

I bought some Duplo yesterday at the target sale. I ummed and aaahed, but thought that it would be something that we can all sit down and play together. I ended up getting a big 200 set. No wheels in it, but the girls have all got heaps of cars anyway. It will be something that we can add to over the years as well. So thanks for the idea everyone

I'm half way through my mountain of ironing, so i'd better get back to it. I want to be finished before Masterchef comes on.

Ginger - look at your ticker! Awesome!

So do kindy kids in Australia not go every day? W starts out with two mornings, but they will hold the full time (every day) spot for me for a few weeks so we can assess how he is going, and if I want to take it slower they will offer full time again in Nov. Perhaps we are a whole country of hot-housers? lol

The other thing that is worth a think about for birthdays and xmas is the v-smile video game systems. I was hesitant to get him into video games this young, but DH was really keen so we hired it from toy library and it was really good. We had a Cars game with it and he had about 8 of the games sorted by the time it went back two weeks later (and to his credit I couldn't figure out the remaining two!). It is pretty basic stuff like memory, sorting stuff into piles like blue or paper, counting games etc but I guess it is at least a bit more interactive than just watching the telly.

I have no idea how it works in the other states Arte because the education systems are different. In NSW they do two years of preschool none which is not compulsory (but in the best interests of the child to send them). We only sent L for the year before he started school but the girls did the 2 years. And then once they are 5, or just about to turn 5 they start Kindergarten which is 'big school' and that is fulltime. If you had your child in fulltime childcare because you work then they would do a full 5 days a week of preschool by default as childcare does a preschool program. In all the other states their equivalent of Kindergarten is Prep and preschool is kinder.

Hey girls, how were the fantasy holidays? I think I booked too late and missed the flight altogther LOL.

Re the scooters, DD1 has a 2 wheeler and E scoots around on it, but her aunty bought her a 3 wheeler (not razor, it's pink and got princesses or some other pukey thing on it) for Xmas last year and she does ride that more often, it doesn't go as fast but it's easier for her at this stage. She's gone off her trike tho after riding the 2 wheeler bike at FDC...

Oz, sorry to hear about your DH's nan. I hope the weekend all went well.

Kate, I can't believe you're so close already...we're looking forward to some exciting news!!

Ginger - OMG you're like a toy black-marketeer with all your toy "connections" LOL.

JM, big hugs, the whole malaria situation just sounds like it's the pits.

MP - happy birthday for the other day!! We have *lots* of unstructured time at home, probably too much last year when we went nowhere and did nothing LOL. But I think it's good for them just to potter around, it can help if you get out two or three toys and bring their attention to them, different toys each weekend, kwim.

Trust me, chemo brain is the pits, it's worse than baby brain. I was too crushed last weekend to tell you all I FORGOT our wedding anniversary - first time in 18 years - and I was speaking to my new boss on the phone and had to ask for her "full name and phone number" on the pretext of taking her contact details cos I couldn't remember who she'd said she was . I'm going to ask the breast surgeon to surgically attach a pen and a notepad to my wrist so I can take notes while I wander in a daze thru daily life.

Re the kinder - here in SA kindergarten is free from about 4 years (or just before old) for 4 terms and it's either 4 half-days or 2 long days (depending on the kindy). If you child has special needs you can apply to start them earlier when they're 3. School proper (reception or prep) starts the term they turn 5, but they have to do a minimum of 4 terms and a maximum or 7 terms before they can move up to grade 1. So DD1 whose birthday is in the middle of the year, did 18 months of reception, which gave her a really good grounding in literacy & numeracy etc before moving into grade 1. Works quite well.

3 year old kindy here is usually just long-day-care - it's the big issue I have with sending DD2 to a cc centre, because after she turns 3 and moves up the "kindy room" (ahem!) the ratio changes from 1 in 6 to 1 in 9 (!!) and they're childcare workers not teachers. In real 4 y.o. kindies the staff are trained early childhood teachers. And there's a big difference in my mind from sending a 4 yo to kindy for half a day and sending a 3 yo to a long day care with the same staff ratio for the better part of a long day. For only 1 day of the week I will do it (reluctantly) if I have to but I'm not convinced it is the ideal environment for my child.

BTW start work next Tues, will be working in the section that was my 1st preference which is great - best matched to my skills plus it means they listened to me when I blarped on about how fabulous I am LOL.

hi girls!

i am keeping a lowish profile these days as i have been hit by the snot monster (thanks leila!).

MP: hope you had a lovely day on your birthday xx
    the HB plans are powering along now! we have a BIG planning meeting next thursday (DH is cooking for the midwives...we'll have 3 coming along as i want to know the backup as well). so he is making some kind of melanzana bake and nutella pizza for dessert. i am excited as it will be a 2-3 hour meeting where we just go through everything and basically 'get ready'. picking up the birth pool in a couple of weeks too which means POOL PARTY! Leila is excited at that prospect lol. Leila will be 'entertained' by my mum (if she makes it in time this time lol). but no doubt i will labour overnight so hopefully she will snooze through most of it and we can wake her up for the exciting part. her and DH will be cutting the chord (leila is determined to 'make the belly button' lol).

MD: that is sooo cool! new job, good position...and a paycheck at the end!! man, i am jealous lol!! hope it all goes well (i am sure it will!).
    sorry to hear that the brain is mush-a-rama still were you guys able to still have a lovely moment to celebrate the auspicious milestone??

G: bahahah I am with JM on this one...the mohawk is then a definite need for J lol!

Arte: i have NO idea of the kinder arrangments here. Leila's cc has a separate kindergarten with separate staff etc etc. that she is automatically enrolled in. actually there are two, one that is at the uni and the other is in abbostford (but i think you need to be related to the VC to get into that one lol!). it is complete madness in the area that we live, and the majority of the kids in my MG have missed out on a place for 3yr old kinder. it's in the papers every second week here about the crapulent services and lack of spaces.

Sherie: the NSW system sounds like how it used to be in QLD. the year you turned 5 you went to preschool and then the following year you went to 'big school' (grade one). i find this whole 3 and 4 year old kinder and prep thing way confusing. or that could be my snot infested mind making it hard to understand lol!

as for free play...we tend to do one big thing in the morning and then a smaller trip (say just down to the playground) in the afternoon after her nap or her quiet time. she generally plays happily for a few hours these days (either sitting reading her books or outside destroying the nastertiums). we are at the opposite ends of the spectrum in that we really need to get better organised and get her along to more theatre etc. we took her to the movies the other day and she loved it. so gotta get more proactive and start some fun booked activities for the occasional weekend fun.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast