Thread: Recovering from a tear

Default Recovering from a tear

Hi girls,

I have seen a similar post before I had Aidan, so apologies for being repetitive.

I am still quite sore and it has been over 2 weeks. Feels like it is bruised and swollen and I cannot stand up for long periods of time, or every time I sit down it is uncomfortable. It was a 2nd degree tear which needed 12-15 stitches.

How long will it take for me to recover?

Jess

Hi Jess

I had an episiotomy cause I started to tear with Kameorn and I was still uncomfortable for quite a few weeks after. it didn't help a stitch was getting caught in the pads i wore.

With Lachlan and after another episiotomy. I was okay within a couple of weeks but I didn't need as big of a cut either.

Love

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Jess,

Other than letting your Ob know if you are concerned, lots of women swear by arnica - you'd need to ask a naturopath but it's apparently brilliant for after birth bruising etc.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Ditto Kathryn and Kelly!

It took me a few weeks for the swelling/tenderness to calm down.

Hope you feel better soon!

Seeya

Hi Jess, I just moved your post into 'Your Body After Baby' as I think it is more suited to this forum.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

I also had a second degree tear with about 20 stitches and when I was in hospital they had these disposable cold packs with a cloth like cover that you put in your undies. It felt cold at first but it really helped to relieve the discomfort and tenderness and reduce the swelling. That and panadol are the only things I used, apart from a hose attachment in the bath to wash down there, which really helped me to 'freshen up'!

Bon

I was sore for quite a few weeks too but by my six week checkup my cut and stitches were healed. My el-cheapo version of the cold packs that bon mentioned was freezing those long icy-pop things (you buy them in packs at the super market) and then making a little hole in my pad and shoving one down it so it was a pad/cold pack combined. I used the green ones and DH ate the rest. I was tempted to offer my MIL a recycled green one but DH wouldn't let me.

Marcia Guest

I didn't tear, but had a very excessive episiotomy. The ice packs that Bon suggested helped me a lot in the early days, and if you can't find any small enough my community midwife suggested that the flavoured iceypoles that you can get from the supermarket work just as well! I know it sounds weird, but they are about the right size, and work just the same lol. I hope it all heals up quickly for you, but just keep in mind that the average 6 weeks recovery that they tell you about doesn't always happen for everyone either. It has taken me a really long time to recover from the episiotomy that I had, and because they told me 6 weeks I was really worried and stressed when it wasn't better in that time. Not saying that to scare you at all, I just know I would have preferred that they tell me it might take a lot longer, than leave me to worry that I would never be the same again IYKWIM. :hugs: to you because I know how you are feeling and it sucks lol!

Marcia Guest

SNAP Dachlostar! Not such a strange idea after all then lol.

I also had a 2nd degree tear with about 20 stitches. Mine is still sore sometimes, if i move a certain way while sitting. I remeber the first 2 weeks i couldnt even sit down, it was just too uncomfortable! What is more annoying at the moment about my tear is that it's itchy!!!

Thanks girls.

Tegan, my tear is a bit itchy too, yuck!

I LOVE the icy pole idea, and even better was the recycled one to MIL, that really cracked me up!

Off I go to the supermarket...

Jess

Best explanation for me second degree internal & external tear was that it felt like my crotch had been thrown in the ring with Mike Tyson...

It was swollen, black & blue from bruising & damned uncomfortable!!!

I remember at first it was so numb, so not a prob... Ha yeah, but then about 4 days later I could feel it & the swelling was like!!!! OOOOOOWWWWW!

I don't think it ever goes back to normal! :-s

Bit late for all of us now, but in case any newly cut/torn mum's are reading this voltaren suppositories are fantastic. Yeah I never thought I'd be happy about sticking something up my bum but these were great!!
    Also salt baths, which, although didn't actually make me feel better after having them, they did seem to help with quicker healing. I had a rather HUGE epis & it settled a lot quicker than I expected after the 1st week or two

yep Shazbails I had the voltaren suppositries in hospital and they worked fantasically.

Love

Sure did - I got a script for more when I got home, only had to use them for a week or so but they made life so much easier

Kellee Guest

Yep, the salt baths things do work. To make mine worse (which was already bad - I tore, they cut me, then I tore again and was stiched almost from one end to the other AND inside) I had an allergic reaction to the pads (suppose because I had to wear them for so long). It was HELL and lasted for what seemed like ages. My mum told me that in 'her' day they used to actually let the mothers use UV lamps in hospital - so I suppose exposing the wound to the sun would be good. A patch of sun came through the window onto my bed, and I used to lie there when I could. I'm pretty sure it helped.

Everything is ok now - still a bit tender at times, especially when I have been on my feet all day (maybe it's all the blood rushing to the area?). I think everything is supposed to clear up properly when you stop breastfeeding - something to do with the hormones makes the area a little thinner than usual.

Custardtart Guest

This is indelicate, but one of the things that really hurt after a tear was going to the toilet for "number 2's", I was really glad my Mum had been around because she told me to change posture, keep my legs together and raise my hips forward a little, THEN push - so as not to put any pressure on the tear.
    I can't believe the nurses didn't cover something so basic for after-care.

Kerrie