Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss

Sorry for being ignorant but what is IBS?

I think the Dr is a great starting point and it's great that your hubby wants to support you. I guess the main thing is that I know my parents have dieted so often over the yrs, but the weight only shifted when they got some exercise in as well, My Dad now walks every night as he was diagnosed with diabetes a few weeks ago and he has lost 6kgs in about 6 weeks so that is really promising. Of course he is walking 5klms now but you only need to start small, like walk around the block for a few days and then maybe increase the distance by a litlle more every few days. The amazing thing is the more exercise you get the more you want to do it. I lost 8kgs in 3 months after my 2nd child (I only lost 4kgs up til he was15mths old and still had the 8 to lose to be at a weight I was happy with), I used to walk for an hour every night and push the pram as well, up and down hills, and I got back into the dress I brought to wear in our wedding, which I fitted into before I had him. So there is hope, just small steps at a time.

CHeers Michelle

IBS is irritable bowel syndrome.

Thanks Katkins, I'm not too good on the shorthand version of medical conditions.

That is not nice for you, hope you can find something that doesn't effect it then.
    Cheers michelle

well girls, looks like I may have to delay my attempt to lose a LOT of weight. I'm pregnant with number two now #-o . Am going to try to lose some, but a big weightloss is out of the question as it may affect bubs.

Congratulations Katkins, wow your bubs are going to be very close together.

It doesn't mean you can't be healthy though, just still walking and eating right is fine for your new bub. And I know heaps of people that get preg and lose weight during the preg, you just never know. Hope you are feeling healthy and no morning sickness.

Best wishes Michelle

elise1888 Guest

I am trying to conceive. Any tips on trying to stay a healthy weight during pregnancy?

Kim

Wish I could help Kimm, but I put on WAY too much weight last pregnancy and as it only ended four months ago, I haven't been able to lose it as yet and now I have another on the way.... All anyone can really say is healthy food, Vitamins for pregnancy, Folate and exercise!

Yep that's about right Kim.

But I guess the main thing is to remember that you aren't really eating for 2 in the same sense, so you don't need to double your food intake. If you are hungry then you should have something, I remember NEEDING 2 sandwiches at lunchtime, but I didn't eat loads of junky stuff. Try to snack on fruit and vegies and just stick to your normal diet (hopefully it's sort of healthy) and you shouldn't have a problem. I put on 12kg, 12kg, 14kg and 11kgs, in my 4 pregnancies, which is about average. (I did sometimes have cravings for chocolate etc, but I didn't eat just chocolate all the time iykwim).

Good luck for when it happens
    Cheers Michelle

I put on over 38kg during my pregnancy... Some of it can probably be attributed to the fact that I was unhealthily underweight before pg, plus I quit smoking in the month after my BFP. Also the only way for me to curb M/S was to eat... constantly...
    So I would advise eating HEALTHILY and to NOT overeat (more than what you really need) or be too greedy ( like I was, LOL!)
    Gentle excercise is a great way to keep the extra kg's off too. I noticed my rate of weight gain really slowed when I started doing 2 Pregnastics classes a week.

Anyway, back on the topic of losing weight after pg. Someone mentioned above there is a supplement you can get from the chemist. Well it is called Optifast... it used to only be available on script, but that has changed.
    I have been using Optifast instead of one of my meals each day (lunch or dinner) for almost 3 weeks now, and I have already lost around 3 kgs, YAY!!

Melinda Guest

What does it taste like Ambah, and do you find it satisfying??

Hey Toots

There is another Optifast thread going in General Health & Fitness if you are interested.

Lets just say it doesn't taste fantastic... but I can definately handle it. It comes in Chocolate and Vanilla I think, but so far I have only tried the chocolate. The trick is to mix it in with icy cold water so it seems more 'milkshake' like.. otherwise it tastes really bad if it is just at room temp.
    What I do now each day is have cereal with Trim milk for breakfast (usually around 8 or 9am) then I hang out until 1 or 2 pm and have my glass of Optifast - this will usually fill me up for up to 2 hours. Then its just another couple of hours to wait through the hunger pains until dinner, LOL. Its not so bad really, if I'm exceptionally hungry I will eat some fruit or maybe half a peice of toast in between, but not too much, cause I really dont want to be consuming any unecesasry calories atm... But having said that... I usually don't mind what we have for dinner, and I never really go to an effort to make low fat stuff. But something must be working, cause I weighed myself again lastnight and have lost 4kg... It seems too good to be true!!!

Way to go Ambah, so glad it is helping you. What sort of exercise are you doing? I know my nan walked heaps and my dad is doing the same although he isn't on the optifast. Mum need to walk more but she doesn't tell anyone how it's going so I'm not even sure whether shes lost weight.

Cheers michelle

Thanks Michelle
    I am basically just walking... because we dont have a car it means every time we need groceries I have to trek to the local shops, and also if I want to walk to the major shopping centre it is 40mins each way, with 30kg of Aidyn+pram to push, and a few steep hills... so that can be a pretty gruelling workout too, LOL!

congratulations Ambah!! I'm walking nightly now to try to get weight down a bit and keep it down during this pregnancy so fingers crossed hey?! Trying to eat right too....cravings making it a lil hard at times tho. I just try not to go overboard with them. Last yr I remember craving chocolate, there was half a block in the fridge and I ate the whole half a block. Not going to do that this time, going to keep it healthy as best I can.

Katkins- You go girl, that's great with the walking and the choccy thing is hard to do, I personally am a chocholic, but you know when you have overdone it and you just need to take charge of yourself (I do the same- I have to tell myself I don't NEED that [email protected])

Ambah it helps to have the added incentive of only getting there by walking as there is no car, Pushing the pram is so good, as it gives you the resistence you need.

Cheers girls.
    Michelle

2kiddies Guest

I have just really started seriously this week to try and lose weight and also am taking the milkshakes.the brand I use is 'ultraslim' and you can can get it at Coles, not sure about the other supermarkets. DH is also taking it, and he's having it for two meals a day. I'm not that strong..yet! And am only having it for breakfast, but only in a few days, I have already lost a 'little' bit of weight. We don't have any scales, which is probably a good AND bad thing!...but a few people have commented in the last few days that I've lost a bit, DH says I definately have, and my jeans and skirts aren't quite SO tight around the middle...in saying that I have a LOT to go..but am happy to have lost the tiniest amount in a few days. Will be looking at this thread regularly now I"ve found it!

Well done Dan! You have to start somewhere and if you notice it in your clothes that's the best indication. Keep up the good work.

Best wishes Michelle

2kiddies Guest

Thanks heaps Michelle!
    I have lost about 2 kgs now, so feel a lot more motivated now. I have changed to a different brand of milkshake, and am now having it for breakfast and lunch, with a healthy dinner, and that seems to be making a difference. I am very proud in the fact that I didnt' pig out 'too much 'over Easter too!
    It is really helping me to read of others in this thread also trying to lose weight and has givene me lots of ideas!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast