Thread: Shorter Periods

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default Shorter Periods

Since having Charlie, I've had some fairly odd AFs.

I have always had 30 days cycles like clockwork. While on IVF, my cycles seemed to become a little shorter, in that most times while cycling, I would start AF before my BT, usually one or two days before - so roughly 26 day cycles. This was even when I was on progesterone, which usually delays AF.

But during break cycles my cycles would go back to 30 days.

After I weaned Charlie, my first few cycles were 30 days. Then in May I had a 25 day cycle. Two months after, I got had a 24 day cycle, and then when I did my FET in Dec, I had a 26 day cycle. Last month it was 28 days, and then this month (Feb) I'd had my shortest cycle ever, only 22 days. In fact since probably November, I have not had a full 30 day cycle, the longest have been 28 days, but most were shorter than that even.

AF itself is becoming lighter too. I went from bleeding a full 5 days to now only bleeding for 2-3 days, and of that one day is heavy, but not super heavy. The other two days are fairly light, with the third day often barely more than spotting.

My mum reckons I may be gearing up for an early menopause, but it's a few years away yet. I'm 38 this year but I got my first AF at 9 years of age, so fairly young.

Despite knowing we aren't having any more kids, the idea of possible menopause concerns me. Any one with any ideas of what this might be?

hi sush, i don't know whether because you are having irregular/shorter periods you have symptoms of perimenopause but hun, anything slightly irregular over a period of time should be checked out with your doctor (as I am sure you would recommend to us gals ) 'cause it could also be a range of other things (like stress etc)
    GL xx

thanks for your reply, Dusty my sweet. I actually saw my GP yesterday on something unrelated and did mention it to him, and his rather glib response was 'you're getting older, what do you expect?' Perhaps I should have been more assertive but he was dismissive and I only spoke to my mum after I saw him. :P

geeeez!!! what a flippant and unfeeling response.
    if it is worrying you, i would see a more understanding female GP. xx

You can get a blood test that can give you an answer about early menopause.
    And find a nicer Dr.

yeah he's a surly old man but I've been going to him for years so I think the familiarity works against me. I may go see someone else though because it is worrying me a little. I guess despite not planning any more kids, I'm not ready to let go of what sub-fertility I have left just yet.