Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JW - Door knocking - how does it work?

Regards,
    Dianne

i have to agree with sopdet - being disrespected on your own property for not having the same beliefs is just wrong. i dont deny anyone their right to their religious belief (whatever that is) - and whatever your religion (if Christian), YOUR God is the ONE TRUE GOD - having that argued or dismissed isn't fair.

i also understand where she is coming from. if you are not from a Christian based religion, the devil/fallen angel may simply not exist for you - you should not be told you're wrong.

i have no problem with people practicing their own religion, but i do have an issue with being disrespected for any reason. if you are asked not to come to my house once, and you return, i won't necessarily be nice in demanding you leave the second time (but don't take offense - the same happens to electricity sales people!)
    Last edited by briggsy's girl; August 9th, 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    i have no problem with people practicing their own religion, but i do have an issue with being disrespected for any reason.
    Completely agree. I'm sorry you've been treated that way in your home sopdet.

Personally we don't get door knockers here and I've also never had a problem with JW door knockers. I have some interesting discussions with my MIL but we're family and we invite each other into our homes so I'm happy to discuss those things with her.

For what it's worth I have never had my faith challenged by a JW. They have knocked on my door, offered me a copy of their magazine, The Tower i think, and pointed out to me the names and phone numbers that I can contact if I'd like to discuss issues of faith. That's pretty much it... probably because I had a crying baby and I said I was busy

I assume that there must be more fervent members of JW out there but I guess if every faith was judged by their most fervent then nearly all faith sytems could be held up for criticism in terms of pushiness.

This thread is interesting to me as my daughter has just become a JW after marrying into the faith. I'm not really happy about it to be honest - the traditional gender roles, the opting out of public life (not voting, for instance), and the fact that she is being encouraged to go door knocking rather than earning a living... Yeah, not happy. But she's happy with it, and that's what I have to respect I guess.

(Oh, the "not happy" might also have something to do with the fact that my dh is an Anglican minister LOL.)

FWIW, we get JW's knocking at OUR door and it quite clearly says VICARAGE and we live next to the church! No, we are not converting any time soon, thank you very much!

Mmmmm interesting & great that on the whole it's been kept respectful -

I am not a Christian either. I find the JW "bashing" figuritively) a bit much personally. I don't like the jokes or the way some people ae just rude. Slamming doors etc. I have only met pretty kind JW's. I have always been interested in religion and as such I guess I attract the conversation. My own mother was a "born again" Christian & I was intrigued by religion from an early age. I studied the bible out of curiosity & it intrigued me (still does!). I also studied with some JW's & Church of God, Mormans & of course other religions.

I see that the door knocking comes from a place of goodness - it's truly a belief that this is the way they are chosen to spread the news of Jesus etc etc.

I don't have an issue & I have always said thanks but no thanks. The 1 metre high Buddha at my steps is probably a give away...

If it's troubling anyone I would ask for a name as you want to make a complaint - but I would never think it's okay to turn a hose on someone or slam doors...

Quote Originally Posted by Bathsheba View Post

I assume that there must be more fervent members of JW out there but I guess if every faith was judged by their most fervent then nearly all faith sytems could be held up for criticism in terms of pushiness.
    I have had friends who are JW - and one who was so mild we didn't know his church until he passed. I think to this day that he didn't volunteer that part of his personal life to us due to the general attitude of our members.

Every group, organisation, business and religion is judged on every representation of itself. If all one knows of a religion is an argument and disrespect shown to your own beliefs, then it is easy to generalise. My parents' house is often visited by a family group who visit in the heat of a Brisbane summer and walk the streets with their young children - my father believes these people are committing acts of abuse against their children, and now will not answer the door to them or others, unless it is to offer them water and shelter from the heat. While in my parents' house, I have had my beliefs judged through the clothing I wear by religious door-knockers - and this does not bode well for my personal views of what they are representing.

Berenice - thankyou for sharing your views and insights.

Sopdet - I am sorry you are experiencing this disrespect from visitors to your door.

DS - great thread, it is something I have wondered for a while.

Bath - you are a very lucky lady with your visitors.

I enjoy a good discussion about belief systems, and find a debate worthy when my sparring partner is educated and listens, and replies to my PoV and not to their pre-conceived ideas.

Wow, don't check BB for a few hours and look what happens!

Sopdet: I'm very sorry for the experiences you've had. We are always told to be polite and understanding when someone tells us they have their own belief system. You're completely right, you should not be disrespected on your own doorstep, or anywhere else for that matter, not by us! I don't know a lot about your beliefs, but I think the problem is the fundamental differences in our two beliefs - I personally would not feel comfortable delving into your own beliefs as deeply as I have others, due to my own understanding of your Gods/Goddesses. Pagan beliefs are often misinterpreted by us, for the very reason. I'll PM you

For what it's worth, the particular name of the thread doesn't bother me, I am happy to answer any and all questions - after some of the reactions I've had at the doors, nothing on BB is going to offend me

TMTM: That's interesting about your daughter, and no doubt would've been hard on your whole family. I am curious as to what makes you feel that we're not encouraged to earn a living though? As I'm sure you already know, 1 Timothy 5:8 says, 'Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.' We are under obligation to provide for ourselves and our families first, and then to 'preach the good news of the Kingdom'. Also, you'd be surprised at the amount of fathers/pastors/vicars who are regularly visited by JW's, at their own request Just having the Vicarage sign is not gonna stop us!

i guess maybe i'm just not a nice person. if i have an unsolicited sales person (and lets face it - they are selling the word of their God just as much as the electricity/Austar person is selling a product), they are asked to leave and continue to disrespect my wishes, i DO close the door on them. it is trespass when someone is on your property against your wishes. it has nothing to do with what their religious beliefs are, it is ENTIRELY about their lack of respect for my wishes to not have them there.

i do not care about the religious beliefs of anyone - you treat me with respect, i have no reason to not do the same for you. i see the encroachment of my time and space, when i have told you i'm not interested and asked you to leave, to be disrespectful kwim?

This has been a really interesting read, thankyou Berenice for sharing things from your perspective

We used have the JW's visit our farm, and they were the only people who ever came to the front door, the step was over 1/2m high and we always had to hunt for the key to even open the door

But my question is we would always get a carload to come out and visit, but it was always the children sent to our door to spread the word, not once did the elders in the car ever come.... is there a reason why it was done this way or was it just perhaps how they chose to do it in our area?

We did know on occassion when they were coming as one of our neighbouring farmers would call to tell us, and we had hidden from them on occasion but it didn't matter how many times my mum told them we were not interested (Baptised Anglican but were attending the local uniting Church, so we had our own path as such), they would keep comng back, which is why we hid.....

TIA xxoo

You're 100% right BG

Beema - there wouldn't be a specific reason as to why it was always the younger ones. The only thing I can think of, since you were on a farm, is they were doing 'rural witnessing', and often you can be stuck in the car for ages before getting to the next house. It was probably just a coincidence that it was always the kids that got out at your place, they were probably the ones whining the most

The reason we keep coming back if someone says they're not interested but doesn't specifically ask us not to come again is that attitudes/circumstances/householders change. The magazines that we most often present are released monthly, always with different topics - what appeals to one person may not appeal to the next. Many times people have said for years that they're not interested, only to have something drastic change in their lives, and they get to a place where they want to ask questions, and they become more conscious of their own spiritual need.

Just before I say goodnight I just wanted to thank Berenice again for answering these questions with such grace. Personally I don't mind my own faith being challenged, infact I welcome it, but I still don't think it's right to assume that everyone welcomes challenge especially on a forum where words can come across quite harsh.

You've been an admirable ambassador for the JW faith Berenice and while, like TooMany and others "There will be no conversion on my behalf anytime soon" I will always defend any faith that I feel is alligned to Love and Light. Also, like Inanna I am saddened when any faith is the brunt of jokes and stero-types (as the JW sometimes are).

Maybe I, like Kazbah mentioned, have "been lucky" not to encounter pushiness on my doorstep but I guess i also have never felt any more annoyed by a JW than any other salesperson and find it relatively easy to say "thanks but no thanks". Slamming of doors and hosing, I think IS unnecessary. I don't like unsolicited calls, as I have said, but maybe if an unsolicited call just saves one life then maybe it's worth it afterall *thinking aloud now* But I do think that people (myself included) have to be careful that their annoyance at being disturbed doesn't outweigh the "crime" of disturbance IYKWIM. At what point does the rudeness of the occupant - in response to being disturbed - outweigh the rudeness of doorknocking? Maybe that's the question we have to ask ourselves?

Thanks for a thought provoking discussion Dianne!
    Last edited by Bathsheba; August 9th, 2010 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks Berenice for answering

What an interesting thread. Thanks Berenice for taking the time to answer all the questions so eloquently.

Quote Originally Posted by Berenice View Post
    The reason we keep coming back if someone says they're not interested but doesn't specifically ask us not to come again is that attitudes/circumstances/householders change. The magazines that we most often present are released monthly, always with different topics - what appeals to one person may not appeal to the next. Many times people have said for years that they're not interested, only to have something drastic change in their lives, and they get to a place where they want to ask questions, and they become more conscious of their own spiritual need.
    The repeated calling on the same houses even though people say they aren't interested is something I've never understood (and I admit it annoyed me). But now I totally get the JW point of view and understand what might motivate them to do this.

Wow great thread!

I had a lovely JW couple come to my door back in Feb, yep i did show some interest and yes they did come back quite a few times!
    I didnt mind though, they were lovely people and always remembered the kids names!.. although i was a little uncomfortable at the fact they spent alot of time talking about the 'no sex before marriage' when they knew i was a single mum to 2 kids.
    But anyway, after a few visits i told them that i appreciated them coming back to speak to me but i didnt think that it was a path id like to take and they respected that!

I try not to take offence to any faiths. I don't expect anyone to automatically understand or believe what I do, and just because they might not understand doesn't make them ignorant or means they are attacking me personally. And I think there are gentle and polite ways to explain that without being forthright and offensive. We have Jehovas Witness' here all the time I am just polite and say no thank you, it doesn't matter what you believe if you're not interested you're not interested. I can't hardly expect them to remember my house especially when a lot of the people that visit are different. At the end of the day whatever faith a person is we are all made of the same flesh and blood, and if we expect tolerance from others then I think we should offer it up freely ourselves. If someone is rude to you then sure speak your mind or stand your ground but if not you are only causing more grief for yourself. I think if we automatically think that the world is out to get us, or that people are ignorant or any assumptions it is no different than the backlash we receive ourselves for who we are, how we act or what we believe. I don't believe having an issue with a religion means you need to have issues with those that follow it or vice versa, having an issue with a select few followers means the whole religion and their followers should be tarnished the same way.

Hate begets hate. And you don't need to be passive and lie down to be kicked to show love and understanding.

/goes back to the corner to make daisy chains and sing folk music

But seriously though, being that angry over an assumption can't be good for your health

Good question though dianne and Berenice thank you for taking the time to respond

What a thread.

There are always annoying, silly people no matter what religion/walk of life we are. Its how we process it and make it work for us that it appropriate.

I have had ladies of the JW faith come to my door and had breif chats with them...yes I was edgy at first but relaxed when they smiled and made me feel at ease. It was actually lovely to have someone come and say hello when I was going through hell with Mario and his Autism at the time...they never stayed for long... just a few moments but it was enough to break the sadness I had at the time. Then those lovely ladies left and were replaced with a couple were the man told me I had no idea and I must of been given my child as punishment for something I had done previously...it shatted me. Yes they were of the same faith but the wonderful work the previous 2 ladies had done had been blown down in one massive move by another.

I have since opted to place a No religious chat's sign up when I see 'walker's' no matter what religion. Once bitten twice shy

I also refuse to discuss my belief's to anyone who approaches my door..I have no need to justify them to a stranger, they are mine for a reason

Rouge your response was so true.

I don't personally believe that anyone has the right to continue to knock on my door when I've asked they don't because their religion tells them that they must persist in an attempt to catch me at a moment in my life where I'm going to be more open to their preaching.

It isn't about the individual that is knocking on my door, it's about the religion as a whole - I have known some gorgeous JW's that are genuinely concerned about those around them rather than just themselves......a rare quality in this day and age. But the JW way just doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't give me the right to be disrespectful or rude, it gives me the right to make a choice in my life as to what I choose to believe.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast