Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 55 to 72 of 79

Thread: JW - Door knocking - how does it work?

  1. #55

    Default

    Well said Maz

    And as an aside - I have really enjoyed reading this thread, it is so eye opening to gain a better understanding of what JW's believe and do and why!


  2. #56

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Oh Maz, that just breaks my heart, those hurtful words. It just goes to show how one bad apple can ruin the whole bunch. We are all humans and need to watch our tongue no matter what religion we are.

    Regards,
    Dianne

  3. #57

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,434

    Default

    Maz - I am truly horrified that you were told that, it's not even close to what we believe For the record, we believe that things like that are simply caused by human imperfection and the current imperfect world. Jehovah didn't create us to die, he didn't create us to be sick, it only happened after Adam & Eve sinned, because they were no longer perfect, and they passed on their imperfection to their children and so on, much like cooking a cake using a dented cake tin. I can offer no explanation for why you were told that, I have no reasoning, and I completely understand why you would choose not to put yourself in line for that again, but please know, it is NOT what we believe

    Bath - I was raised as a JW, so I've been going witnessing for 25 years now. Obviously I don't remember it all, but it's definitely changed in the last 15 years, peoples reactions have changed. We find householders are much more polarised, it's either a definite yes or a very definite no. I've been dragged inside to discuss the Bible for hours, and I've been chased off properties and threatened with violence. Whereas when I was younger, most people would listen to our initial presentation, and a lot took the literature we presented, mostly just to be polite. These days we really need Jehovah's help to have the courage to go out and try to talk to people, thats for sure! But it's something we expect, and something that must occur before the current system end - and unfortunately, we know it is going to get MUCH worse. Definitely not for the faint of heart or faith!

    Thank you everyone for being so respectful I really am happy to answer all questions, and don't worry, I won't turn up on your doorstep with an inflatable baptism pool

  4. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berenice View Post
    and don't worry, I won't turn up on your doorstep with an inflatable baptism pool
    I actually chuckled at that thought

  5. #59

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A Nestle Free Zone... What about YOU?
    Posts
    5,374

    Default

    Well Berenice I think you are an absolutely beautiful human Being for the kindness, patience & respect you have shown in this thread. I've always admired you - but that admiration has been increased enormously reading your responses to this thread. Thankyou

  6. #60

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dandy Ranges ;)
    Posts
    7,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berenice View Post
    Thank you everyone for being so respectful I really am happy to answer all questions, and don't worry, I won't turn up on your doorstep with an inflatable baptism pool
    I'm sorry, I'm totally irreverant, but in my neighbourhood with its high rates, you'd likely be welcomed in to stay and use the pool as a birthing pool!

    But seriously - I think the different attitude is noticeable in all aspects of life, as people are encouraged to "stand up" for their rights - they aren't being encouraged to think of the other people they are interacting with.

    Given there's been some feedback about "rude" or "intolerant" JWs knocking (Maz - I am shaking my head), Berenice, do you have any advice on how to encourage respectful discussion with them? Slamming a door isn't respectful, and nor is it turning the other cheek...

  7. #61

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,434

    Default

    Kazbah about the waterbirthing!

    The only thing I can think of is simply to say outright that you're happy to have a respectful discussion, but you're not looking to convert and you won't tolerate being disrespected. I wouldn't be bothered if someone said that to me at the door, because we're always told to be respectful and meek - whereas if you do happen to have a 'rogue' JW, their reaction to the above comment would probably show whether or not they were inclined to being respectful. If it is an ongoing problem, you could always contact your local Kingdom Hall and explain your problem to one of the elders, they will be able to help. I truly truly hope that what these people have said is not what they intended to say, because it's hardly going to make people more willing to listen

    Inanna - No words, just happy to help

  8. #62

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Inner South East suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berenice View Post
    Also, you'd be surprised at the amount of fathers/pastors/vicars who are regularly visited by JW's, at their own request Just having the Vicarage sign is not gonna stop us!
    See, I just don't get the point of that. What is someone trying to achieve who comes knocking on the vicarage door? I don't mean to be rude, but do you get points or something if you score a dog collar? We quite clearly have a strong faith to which we are committed to the point that we are prepared to devote our entire lives to our church.

    My daughter is being actively encouraged to depend on her husband for financial support, and go door knocking instead.

  9. #63

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Inner South East suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berenice View Post
    Kazbah about the waterbirthing!

    The only thing I can think of is simply to say outright that you're happy to have a respectful discussion, but you're not looking to convert and you won't tolerate being disrespected.
    But see, I shouldn't even have to say that. In my own home. At my own door. With a big "VICARAGE" sign on it. And I'm not happy to have any discussion at all, respectful or otherwise - I'm just not interested. And if I get any response to, "Sorry, not interested, God bless you and have a lovely day" other than a polite goodbye, I'm probably not going to hold myself back from sounding a bit rude.

  10. #64

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toomanytoomany View Post
    See, I just don't get the point of that. What is someone trying to achieve who comes knocking on the vicarage door? I don't mean to be rude, but do you get points or something if you score a dog collar? We quite clearly have a strong faith to which we are committed to the point that we are prepared to devote our entire lives to our church.
    LOL, we only get points for trying, the title the person holds is irrelevant - I would witness to the Pope if I had access to him!

    A few years ago, I was talking to a man, and he was telling me how he became a JW. He was on a train one day, and noticed that the man next to him was wearing a suit, and reading the Bible. The young man was interested, because he was learning about the Bible at the time, so they chatted all the way to the brothers destination. The young man wanted the brother to come and visit him at his residence, so he gave the brother his address and they made an appointment for that evening. When the brother arrived, he found that the address the young man had given him was a seminary! Long story short, the young man was studying to be a priest, and regularly received visits from this brother. Within a month he had left the seminary, and he is now also a baptised brother, along with his wife and two teenage children.

    You will no doubt know of the scripture in Matthew, 'Happy is he that is conscious of his spiritual need!' Everyone has a spiritual need, no matter what their background is, or where they are in life. For that young man, he was very aware of his own spiritual need, and tried to feed it by becoming a priest, but it didn't make sense to him. When he spoke to that brother on the train, he 'saw clearly that this was It, what I had been searching for' (his own words to me).

    I am not saying this is true for you or your husband, just explaining why it won't stop us

    Quote Originally Posted by Toomanytoomany View Post
    My daughter is being actively encouraged to depend on her husband for financial support, and go door knocking instead.
    We are all encouraged to keep our lives simple, and see if we can make room in our own lives for fulltime ministry. Jehovah knows that we are not all capable of the same things - He has given us differents personal talents. If your daughter and her husband are financially secure enough for her to join the fulltime ministry, that's wonderful! If she doesn't need to work, but decides she doesn't want to be a fulltime minister, that's alright as well! The main point I'm trying to bring out is that we are ALL encouraged towards fulltime ministry, but we are all given the choice, and the final decision rests with us. Reluctant worship is not worship

    Quote Originally Posted by Toomanytoomany View Post
    But see, I shouldn't even have to say that. In my own home. At my own door. With a big "VICARAGE" sign on it. And I'm not happy to have any discussion at all, respectful or otherwise - I'm just not interested. And if I get any response to, "Sorry, not interested, God bless you and have a lovely day" other than a polite goodbye, I'm probably not going to hold myself back from sounding a bit rude.
    Perhaps a sign near your front door, requesting 'No Religious Callers' would help? Personally, if I'm at a door and someone says they're not interested but continues to stand there, I might push gently to continue the conversation, maybe by asking for their thoughts on a particular topic. A lot of the time people will join in the conversation, and I've had some wonderful discussions. Yes, sometimes they will tell me they are really not interested, and then begin closing the door, at which point I will wish them a good day/weekend. But its necessary to read the moment, and the person, and decide for ourselves. Sometimes people say they're not interested because that's what they've always said, that's what they've grown up hearing their parents say. Sometimes a topic is brought up that hits close to home, and they are eager to talk about Jehovah's view. So many things to think about when you're at a strangers door!

  11. #65

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Inner South East suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keikemamaki View Post
    You will no doubt know of the scripture in Matthew, 'Happy is he that is conscious of his spiritual need!' Everyone has a spiritual need, no matter what their background is, or where they are in life.
    And that's why I (clearly) go to church. It's just so *presumptuous*, to think that I will want to open up to you, a complete stranger, about my spiritual needs. And also, given that JW's do not accept the validity of *my* beliefs (as it has been explained to me - for instance, the JWs don't recognise an Anglican baptism, is that right?) the idea that I would want to be witnessed to by someone who was showing that kind of inherent disrespect... Well, I'm going to bow out of this conversation now because I'm not going to change anyone's mind. But it has all at least reassured me that my annoyance is well founded.

    Oh, and thanks for the advice on vocation. I'm pretty familiar with the concept, though. My husband is in full time ministry and I work full time for the church.

  12. #66

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keikemamaki View Post
    He told me that when he heard the knock at the door, he had been making himself a noose to hang himself, because he just couldn't cope any more. He ignored the knock the first time, but then they knocked again, so he answered it. He stood at the door talking to the JW's on the other side for 2 hours, asking questions and just talking about Jehovah. Even if that young man doesn't become a JW, it's absolutely amazing to realise the power the Bible can have for people, the comfort it can bring.
    This is EXACTLY what happened to my mum! She was fully strung up and ready to go then she has told us kids that she said just 1 last prayer saying : God, if there is any hope for me at all, or any way my life can get better then this, then Please god stop me now" Then within seconds there was a knock at the door and it was a young 9yo brother (with an adult of cause) and I can't remember what is was that he has said to her but she says she was brought to tears and had her 1st study then & there. She continued to study with that same young brother who eventually has now become her circuit over see'er (can't spell) and thats now well over 40 odd years ago. If he haddn't knocked on her door that day, my sisters & I wouldn't exist today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mummato2 View Post
    I remember having a conversation with a girl that told me that if I didn't become a JW and worship their way, door knock etc then I wouldn't be resurrected the day Jesus returns....apparently he will only resurrect the JW's.....I had a real problem with this because to me it seems that unless I throw myself into the JW life, including donations etc - I am putting myself and my family at risk of not being accepted by God when we die....
    I was under the impression that EVERYONE who dies after Jesus did but before armageddon would be resurrected, and then are given the opportunity to make their choice for a period of time... is this right?

    I was born into the religion but as a teenager had a bad experience and became VERY angry with them. At the time I was too young to understand alot of the beliefs but did understand ones I still hold dear to me now. I find now as an adult, the times witnesses have called on me, it has been perfect timing in regards to issues/problems I was having at the time. Even a few weeks ago I was so incredibly sick and had been fighting with DH about a very serious medical 'issue' with him that he wont go & get follow up tests for (ie:cancer) (subject for another thread) and I was truely at my witts end and so exhausted when witnesses knocked. I have met this couple (husband & wife) before and when I said I wasn't well & unable to chat today she offered to look after Daytona for a few hours to allow me to have a rest!! Ofcause I said no, but It just always amazes me how Jehovah works! and witnesses always show up right at the right time for me! (even when it's inconveinent)
    I don't go to the meetings but I wish I did have the courage to cause I do find my life to be so peaceful when I do. And it's funny, I was just thinking about things today and now tonight I have stumbled across this thread! LOL. Maybe I should pull my finger out & go tomorrow!!

  13. #67

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A Nestle Free Zone... What about YOU?
    Posts
    5,374

    Default

    As you all know I am not a Jw but I do believe each of our hearts hear a different spiritual beat. If yours is the JW's DM & it brings you peace in the midst of confusion I hope you can go. Big cuddles & I hope life starts to become easier.

  14. #68

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Daytona's Mummy thank you for sharing your very touching story. God knows our hearts and our needs and what a blessing for your mum that God sent help in her hour of need. I have been raised in the Christian faith and to my knowledge havn't brought a soul to Christ but through this thread it has tought me something about the work of JW's. Bringing others to Christ .

    Regards,
    Dianne

  15. #69

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport, VIC
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    I have strong memories of JW callers growing up. My parents are both Deaf and we would always get JW callers that were also Deaf or hearing but knew AUSLAN. My mum was very active in the Catholic Deaf community so I assume that's why we were called on. The first few times, Mum and Dad would always invite them in and have a chat. After that they stopped coming so I'm guessing they got a polite "thanks but no thanks." At the time I wondered how they knew to send Deaf people to our place. It seemed so smart to me (I was pretty young!).

  16. #70

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mummato2 View Post

    I remember having a conversation with a girl that told me that if I didn't become a JW and worship their way, door knock etc then I wouldn't be resurrected the day Jesus returns....apparently he will only resurrect the JW's....
    Sorry Mumma, I didn't read this right the first time - DM's right, the Bible shows that everyone who's ever died will be resurrected after Armaggeddon. Sorry, my mind was of in a completely different direction!

    Quote Originally Posted by Toomanytoomany View Post
    And that's why I (clearly) go to church. It's just so *presumptuous*, to think that I will want to open up to you, a complete stranger, about my spiritual needs. And also, given that JW's do not accept the validity of *my* beliefs (as it has been explained to me - for instance, the JWs don't recognise an Anglican baptism, is that right?) the idea that I would want to be witnessed to by someone who was showing that kind of inherent disrespect... Well, I'm going to bow out of this conversation now because I'm not going to change anyone's mind. But it has all at least reassured me that my annoyance is well founded.

    Oh, and thanks for the advice on vocation. I'm pretty familiar with the concept, though. My husband is in full time ministry and I work full time for the church.
    I'm not sure if you'll see this response, but I'll post it anyway I'm sorry you feel that we/I am being presumptuous, we only preach to teach people about the Bible, as Jesus instructed us to do at Matthew 28:19, 20. Sometimes that leads people to open up to us in a way that we don't expect, as was DM's mothers experience, but it is not what normally happens. WRT 'not recognising an Anglican baptism', I am unfamiliar with what an Anglican baptism entails. We do not practice christening of babies/children, as they cannot understand what they are doing, perhaps that's what you're referring to? I am more than happy to discuss our religious differences, and explain our reasoning on each subject if you would like that. But for now, I just wanted to make clear that its not our intention to annoy or 'score dog collars', we only want to talk about Jehovah and His Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Daytona's Mummy View Post
    This is EXACTLY what happened to my mum! She was fully strung up and ready to go then she has told us kids that she said just 1 last prayer saying : God, if there is any hope for me at all, or any way my life can get better then this, then Please god stop me now" Then within seconds there was a knock at the door and it was a young 9yo brother (with an adult of cause) and I can't remember what is was that he has said to her but she says she was brought to tears and had her 1st study then & there. She continued to study with that same young brother who eventually has now become her circuit over see'er (can't spell) and thats now well over 40 odd years ago. If he hadn't knocked on her door that day, my sisters & I wouldn't exist today!

    I was born into the religion but as a teenager had a bad experience and became VERY angry with them. At the time I was too young to understand alot of the beliefs but did understand ones I still hold dear to me now. I find now as an adult, the times witnesses have called on me, it has been perfect timing in regards to issues/problems I was having at the time. Even a few weeks ago I was so incredibly sick and had been fighting with DH about a very serious medical 'issue' with him that he wont go & get follow up tests for (ie:cancer) (subject for another thread) and I was truely at my witts end and so exhausted when witnesses knocked. I have met this couple (husband & wife) before and when I said I wasn't well & unable to chat today she offered to look after Daytona for a few hours to allow me to have a rest!! Ofcause I said no, but It just always amazes me how Jehovah works! and witnesses always show up right at the right time for me! (even when it's inconveinent)
    I don't go to the meetings but I wish I did have the courage to cause I do find my life to be so peaceful when I do. And it's funny, I was just thinking about things today and now tonight I have stumbled across this thread! LOL. Maybe I should pull my finger out & go tomorrow!!
    DM, I've already PM'd you, but I wanted to thank you again for sharing your experience, it's truly beautiful It can certainly be challenging to be a JW when you're a teenager, being pulled in so many different directions - believe me, I've been there!

    Quote Originally Posted by fionaw View Post
    I have strong memories of JW callers growing up. My parents are both Deaf and we would always get JW callers that were also Deaf or hearing but knew AUSLAN. My mum was very active in the Catholic Deaf community so I assume that's why we were called on. The first few times, Mum and Dad would always invite them in and have a chat. After that they stopped coming so I'm guessing they got a polite "thanks but no thanks." At the time I wondered how they knew to send Deaf people to our place. It seemed so smart to me (I was pretty young!).
    Haha, we do have a smart system in place At some point, JW's would have come to your door that DIDN'T understand AUSLAN, and they would have let their elders know about your parents. Then the elders would have arranged for someone understanding AUSLAN to visit your parents, to get over that language barrier. We do the same for all languages - for instance, if I were to go to a door and an Italian family lived there, I would refer it to the elders and someone from the Italian congregation would go back to that house from now on. No-one gets left out!

  17. #71

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    hiding under my desk!
    Posts
    1,432

    Default

    growing up any JWs who visited at my parents house had the door slammed in their face.
    since starting my own christian walk i have become so much more accepting of others. we have had the same 2 people coming for well over a yr now on a tuesday at about 11am. I think because of moving to a new area i have been desperate to make friends the woman who comes(with im assuming her elderly father) is a beautiful person although i havent been here in about 8 months when she has come so i have not had the chance to invite her in for a cuppa.
    although when i have discussed this with some friends from the church i attend they get very edgy and start sprouting off stuff about the JWs asking for money for the magazines and blah blah(as you can tell i just smiled and nodded letting it go out the other ear) I dont understand the angst between christian faiths and JWs.. im happy to chat to people about any thing god included

  18. #72

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dandy Ranges ;)
    Posts
    7,526

    Default

    I'm finding it very interesting that this thread keeps threatening to go off onto a slanging match ... and then I read wonderful posts about acceptance.

    I keep thinking back to a news story I read a couple of months ago - Australian "Angel" Saves Lives at Suicide Spot - CBS News - and feel that the vision of door knockers that I'm being offered matches this story.

    OG - I think a lot of the angst comes from lack of understanding and education - unfortunately to many, religion is something they don't *want* to be educated in, and yet argue against. Just my 2c there

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •