Thread: Got the scan film today

Question Got the scan film today

Hi everyone

Went for my final visit to the Dr today. HCG levels went from 4326 on Monday (indicating I was 6 weeks pg) and to 1111 on Wednesday (indicating what the Dr termed "abortion").

He gave me the scan films to take home, which I have with me now. I notice the report said "blighted ovum". What on Earth is that?

DH says we don't need the scans, we really should throw them out - I can't bring myself to do it. Even though you look at them they're just a little empty sack, just can't seem to do it.

I think I will store them somewhere. Is this unhealthy, do you think? Or is keeping them just my way of coping? I don't know...........

Anyway, any advice on the blighted ovum thing would be useful. Says my uterus and ovaries are normal. Does it mean that the ovum just didn't implant properly??

Just guessing.

Thanks everyone.

LP.

LP, my obstetrician said that I either had a silent miscarriage, or a blighted ovum.

He said that a blighted ovum occurs when the cells that make the placenta and pregnancy sack are ok and divide properly to make both those things, but that there was a problem with the cells that make up the baby and that the baby was unable to grow. That's why the pregnancy sack and placenta can be seen on the scan, but no baby. That of course DOES NOT mean that there was no baby, because the baby had to get to at least 7-10 days of age to implant in your uterus in the first place.

He also said that I might have had a slient miscarriage and that the baby had died a few weeks before and had shrunk in size to the point that it was unable to be seen in the pregnancy sack.

I still hate both alternatives. But I'm starting to feel better, although I still burst into tears at the smallest things (even during an episode of "Scrubs!!!).

I think it's good that you hold onto the scans. I might ask for a copy of mine too. I don't think there is any reason for us to try to forget our babies, and having things to hold onto them with doesn't seem strange to me at all. I've even packaged away the two pregnancy tests that came up positive.

Sorry for your loss.
    I'd keep the films.

A blighted ovum is basically where conception has occurred, there was an implant of the fertilised egg but the baby didn't develop.

It can also be called a "chemical pregnancy". It is nothing you did, it is just an accident and no reason to fear that subsequent pregnancies will not be successful.

Sweetie I still have the films from a miscarriage I had 10 years ago. I will never throw them out. It's not weird. My mother looked after them for me for years because I couldn't look at them until after my other children were born

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's so unfair

I don't think it's weird LP. I wish I had mine. My Ob said that about me too, but on my scan there is a real baby. it's not a sac, or a group of cells.......
    You keep em if you need.

I ahve all my films from all my scans.. I don't look at the ones of the bubs I lost ( 2 mc) but they are there..

My first mc was a blighted ovum. I hate the term "abortion" On my reports it says Missed Abortion. It sounds terrible to me..

Sending you hugs!

Thanks everyone. I will definitely keep them.

Thanks for the info on the blighted ovum thing. I have also learned to hate the term "abortion" - although that's what it was I suppose. Was just a bit taken aback when the dr said that I had had a total abortion............

The thing that blew me away the most is that the dr - or any of the health professionals I've had anything to do with - have even asked me if I'm alright, or enquired as to my mental health. Maybe they're just gaging things by the way I am handling things, but there are people out there who are very good at hiding their emotions.

I encountered the same thing when I had Daniel and was crying when I was having massive trouble breastfeeding. The nurse came in to the room, realised I was crying and made a quick exit...... noice. I don't think she saw that I saw her. Just really sucks.

I'm looking forward to the next baby. Don't worry about that.

Once again, thank you everyone.

Sorry for you loss.

On the nurse high tailin gout of there when she seen you crying. I had a similar day when I had Evan, I was xso tired from being up the night before with him. I was upset & the lady who came in to clean the floors etc was the only one to take the time & effort to chat to me. Not about why I was upset, just general chit chat. I was nice of her.

I know what you mean about having the scan films. I refused to pick mine up, I asked QDI to destroy them, they rang me about 3 times to pick them up and it wasn't until the 3rd call that I asked them to destroy them, I just couldn't bring myself to go get them.

My heart goes out to you. After my scan I didn't want anymore evidence left around, I threw out my positve tests, I still have one set of films here from my first scan, but I can't go near them.