Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dental bus

Default The dental bus

What happened to the dental bus?
    when I was at primary school (in the early 80's) in QLD there was a dental bus that went around all the schools with a dentist and dental nurse who did a check-up on everyone, a flouride treatment and minor repairs like fillings. They also came into the classroom and did a little lecture about oral health and they had that red stuff that shows you your plaque.
    Even though they were the dentist everyone liked them because when it was your turn you got out of class for a while.
    I'm guessing that they don't visit anymore.
    Does anyone else remember them? Maybe it was a rural thing?
    When did they get rid of them?
    Did other states have them?
    It was such a great initiative and a much better use of tax money than a car for every MP.

I think we should campaign to bring them back!!!

LMAO Chloe, I remember them well. Ours was a silver caravan type thing and would come to our school once or twice a year and everyone would get shepherded through for a dental check.

AFAIK, they don't have the 'bus' around here anymore, but attached to my kids school is a dental clinic (which is where the travelling dental technician was based at when she wasn't travelling around the countryside to other schools) and often they will go to the preschools etc and each child will be given a quick check over to see if there are any noticably visible problems and if there are they are then the child is given a note to take home notifying you that they need further treatment, or that everything was A-OK. So because of this practice, I assume that they pensioned off the caravan because of costs to run it and get everyone to go to them instead of them going to the schools.

we had a dental 'van' in victoria that was usually supervised final or penultimate year dental students with little to no patience (lots of patients though). they destroyed DHs teeth. I still have a memory of being screamed at by the dentist cos my mouth wasnt open wide enough.

They were excellent in recognising that I needed orthodontic work, but theres no way I'd send DS there after the experiences DH and I had.

We also had a clinic that is attached to one of the primary schools, I wonder if its still there..

I remember there being one growing up in Tassie. Most of the dentists were quite nice, but there was some controversy with one whose referral rate for braces as quite high, turned out her husband was an orthodontist and she was referring everyone to him.

I had not even thought that they may not still be around, so very interested to know what is the current practice in Victoria.

Hmmmm, the school dental vans are still around in QLD (my 7yo bro just had a check up at his primary school... not a rural area either so I am assuming it's a statewide and not a regional thing), so QLD still do it. Dunno bout other states though.
    Last edited by Indadhanu; April 13th, 2008 at 01:27 PM.

Mmmmm, I should know this LOL. I DO know that there are community clinics that house 'School Dental', I have worked in them! I just can't think if there are any dental vans left. Well, I know there are vans, but I'm not sure if they're used for 'School Dental'. I think there might be a few, but not alot, so they obviously can't get around to all the schools. I have a feeling that they're utilised in the, um, less well-off areas. But I could be wrong, please correct me if I am!

oh yes the dental van. in victoria. i remember that terrible scary wait to hear your name if u needed treatment. i was at primary from 88-94 and they did a terrible job on my teeth. bad cavity drilling, fillings and seals. my family has an enamel problem and they never got this with me.
    they made my fear of dentists worse and now at 26 am still terrified.
    for my and other childrens sake i hope they are not still around and feel wierd now to know that they were impatient students!

oh I remember the dental van!! lol

That was at Virginia State School in Brissy, so not rural...
    Havent thought about it for 15 years though - I think it was a brilliant thing, hope it is still going!

DD16 had the dental van come to school, but I only remember it coming around once, that would have been about 7 years ago. So if it is still operating in Vic (not rural), it's not as much as it used to when I was a kid.

Its here lol.. My boys just went to the Dental van last monday.

Still here as well.

We were in the school with the regional dentist attached, so it was regular 6 monthly appts for us... YICK... But it was good, cause you got time out of class...

Not here. DD1 is in her 3rd year at school & all we have is Medicare funded dental clinics, & a travelling dentist to rural areas. Nothing through the schools though, you have to find them & organise it yourself.
    We lived 2 hours North West of Dubbo & they came into town, but here where we are more urbanised, we still have to travel 70 - 80 kms to Coffs Hospital.

We had the dental van in primary school (about 10yrs ago in Brisbane).

I went to school in Sydney. We had the dental van come to my high school, in 1997, maybe it was 1998? I was in either year 8 or 9. It was the one and only time I can remember it coming.
    We never had any dental van come to my primary school, there was about 80 kids in my school and we never really got any of that stuff except for the Happy Healthy Harold/Life Education van. LOL it makes me laugh just thinking about it!

The dental vans are still around in Vic. I've taken the kids to them.

i went to one in primary skool probably grade 3 so 1996 and got some fillings not a fun trip but its a lot better than $99 a filling at the regular dentist

We have the dental van visit my dd's school here in Brisbane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast