Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing schools.

OMG - what about late enrolments?? I'm in Vic...

Have you ring the school this morning?

I am at a primary school in NSW Lulu, take enrollments throughout the first week usually. I am not sure what your zoning is like there but often schools won't take students out of area if they are full in that grade.

LuLu according to Vermont's calendar, the staff return to the school on the 29th, the day before the children.

Lulu and Tracey - yep that's correct about zoning! I work at a school in Boronia and we get kids who live next door to each other, and have one who is zoned to Wantirna and the other zoned to Fairhills. It is based on a certain km radar around the school (not sure how far it is but is not far ) Some schools arent zoned though, and you can put in an appeal to Wantirna but you need to give pretty good reasons (usually based on language or other academics that they offer) to try to get in. We have the same problem with all our grade 6's every year.

And yep the official first day back for teachers and admin is the 29th, there are people around before that but they aren't taking calls etc. HtH and goodluck Lulu!

Oh thanks Tan, what a bugger. I wish she hadn't told me sooo late!

Maybe you could go down to the school and talk to someone... they can't ignore your calls then. Plus they usually have a uniform shop open, you could get a look at the prices etc...?

hope it goes well Lulu & your DD is able to transfer to the new school

I went in last week and the office lady had me clenching me my teeth. She would not let me finish a sentence!

I ended up saying a am WELL AWARE of school zoning, I KNOW this school is not the closest - could you please tell me if the school would accept a late enrolment.
    You can't tell me they don't because the school bus stops right behind the house!

Anyway I will ring the Co-ordinator thsi morning. She is at the old school today and may continue there. She doesn't want to miss her friends, but when I looked at Vermont I was blown away by the community spirit of the school...

It's Ok we are in Wantirna's Zone, the people in the street behind us (Kingsford) are zoned there so we are OK!

Good Luck Lulu!!!!

Oh good Trace - I had a feeling you might be on the wrong side of Boronia Rd.

Bugger called the co-ordinator and she would be happy to take her but they are full! They have to leave a couple of spots open in case someone moves into the area etc.

I am devastated now. DD really doesn't want to continue at Heathmont, and this school has subjects I would dream about.......and it's closer......and she wouldnt have to catch a train and 2 buses.......*sob*

Is it worth "pushing it"? Is there some secret code of admission I could use??? ...sob...sob.

I really want my girl to be happy and she is a good student - damn damn damn.

Contact the education minister and find out if there is anything that can be done to help you. Lay it on thick *hugs*

I've already threated to pack her bags and send her up to you!

yep or your local member or opposition member.
    Surely they'd prefer she was at school..make out like staying where she is is not an option..

The only thing you can do is get someone "in area" to let you use their address!

LMAO Lulu!!!!

Well she has good taste in music, and a built in babysitter would be nice - wouldn't it? lol.

I think I might fax in a letter 2moro with her school report and ask them to reconsider. I can't beleive how important this is to me atm. I just wish she had mentioned it earlier....

Its hard because schools are staffed for a certain number of students and can only consider out of area kids if their numbers are down in that grade. We had to turn away some kindy kids this year from out of area cause we would've had huge classes if in area children had turned up later in the year. Schools MUST take children who are in area so they need to have room for them without disadvantaging others with huge classes. (hope that makes sense) Its very frustrating unfortunately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12